Utah

Rep. Jim Matheson jumps to 4th Congressional District for re-election

Comments

• VIDAR Murray, UT
    Dec. 16, 2011 2:03 p.m.

Both Wimmer, and Sandstorm, are members of the Utah legislator, that in and of itself, disqualifies them for a national office in my view.
    How can we send them to the super bowl of corruption, when they can not even handle the minor leagues?
    The Utah legislator has refused to pass ethics reform, because they believe they do not need it.
    They see no problem in taking gifts from lobbyist.
    They also passed a law, which would make if more difficult to obtain public information. Only wickedness wants to hide in the dark.
    Now, they do their business behind doors, calling it party planning sessions
    Anyone wanting to clean up Washington, should not start to do so by sending someone who belongs to the Utah legislator.

• Rufio Saratoga, UT
    Dec. 16, 2011 12:49 p.m.

Never understood why Jim Matheson wants to tout being an "independent" but still remains a fixture in the Democratic party. Oh well, I guess I still think in terms of yes vs. no, did vs. did vs. did not; there is not a party of luke warm.

• Ok Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 16, 2011 7:46 a.m.

Jim Matheson would have been a good governor. Still, I like his decision to run in the 4th district. I sure didn't want to see that Wimmer guy get the job. Thanks Jim.

• FDRfan safety dictates, ID
    Dec. 16, 2011 7:19 a.m.

reader1234
    South Jordan, UT

Yes, he will never win my district. I don't know of a single democrat in my neighborhood.

I would never move my family into your neighborhood and reveal that I was a Democrat- as is the case with many Utah neighborhoods.

• On the other hand Spanish Fork, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 11:11 p.m.

@TRUTH, your response to Justcap intrigues me. Here's a member of your own political party, who probably agrees with you on political issues more frequently than they disagree with you, but because they express one opinion different from the party line, you disparage them with a label that suggests that they (and diversity of thought in general) are not welcome in your party. Given that there are only two major political parties in this country and way more than two ways of seeing the world, it's naive to assume that every party member will agree with the party on every issue or prefer the party's candidates in every contest. The last I checked, membership in the Republican Party wasn't an all-or-nothing deal, and intolerance and incivility weren't considered conservative values. Surely there's a better way to respond to differences of opinion than to resort to name-calling.

• Rick for Truth Provo, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 10:44 p.m.

I will spend all of my retirement spare time (of which I will have) to defeat Jim Matheson, I will donate to whom ever the Republican's nominate to run against him. It is time he recieved some unemployment quality time with his family.

• jrgl CEDAR CITY, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 9:31 p.m.

Go Jim Matheson! He has been wonderful at representing our district & we will miss him. Seems like deja vu... We Southern Utah voters voted Jim in during the previous boundary changes when they were gerrymandering the districts & thought Jim would loose. Come on Utah, we can't be a one party red state in every office. Where is the balance? I predict a win for Matheson. Now we need more moderate Democrats to toss their hats into the voting ring!

• ExecutorIoh West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 9:22 p.m.

Not a smart move. The SW corner of the Salt Lake Valley and west side of Utah County is 80% Conservative Republican. Matheson should have stayed in District 2. In District 4, he will get slaughtered.

• Virgil SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 8:26 p.m.

Could it possibly be because Mattheson isn't liberal enough to survive the new 2nd District Democratic Primary? He only won the primary last time because moderate rural democrats showed up to support him, something the he will be lacking in the new 2nd.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    Dec. 15, 2011 6:00 p.m.

The fundamental problem with party politics is the fact that elected officials are supposed to represent the people that voted for them but as soon as they get elected they forget all the people back home and just represent their political party.

There would be almost zero politics if the government simply followed the constitution. Almost everything we fight over is unconstitutional.

Jefferson said that if he were to make one change it in the constitution it would be to deny Congress the power to borrow money. Do that and there would be no deficits and nothing to fund all this unconstitutional social spending.

How can congressmen swear to uphold a constitution they either never read or have not read since the 8th grade?

• peter Alpine, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 5:40 p.m.

It's time to cleanse Washington of incumbents. Politicians are like socks, they begin to stink if you don't change them regularly. We don't need experience back there if we have principled people who follow common sense constitutional guidelines.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 4:53 p.m.

@Justcap.....I'm a Republican?....

You maybe a RINO, but if you prefer Matheson over any GOPers you are not a conservative......

• justcap Provo, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 4:43 p.m.

I'm a Republican, but here's my opinion:

Matheson > Sandstrom > Wimmer

Love/Cobb > Sandstrom > Wimmer

But since I don't know anything about Love/Cobb, then

Love/Cobb ? Matheson

• deserthound Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 4:32 p.m.

Even if I was Winnie the Pooh and running in this race, my response to Carl Wimmer would be "Bring it on!" Jim Matheson may be a bit slippery with his positions at times but Wimmer? Om my gosh, this nutball wouldn't recognize a fact if it bit him in the behind.

• Utah Observer West Jordan, Utah
    Dec. 15, 2011 4:28 p.m.

At last Matheson comes back to southwest Salt Lake County. He first won election in 2000 and was a moderate voice then as he continues to be now. All the naysayers about him in Utah who thought they can pin a strong democratic label on him have been wrong. He keeps winning in this GOP dominated state because he has proven to be independent and for the people, not partisan politics. This forumula has proven him well in the past. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in this new district. You had to expect the anti-Matheson crowd to starting crowing loudly against him no matter where he ran.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 4:26 p.m.

I hope he is finished now.

• stevo123 slc, ut
    Dec. 15, 2011 3:50 p.m.

Jim has done a good job, he would not have been back there for ten years if he had not. He will likely run against one of two guys trying to fall off the earth being the most right wing. Should be a fun one to watch.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 3:03 p.m.

I can now vote against him, I could not before.

a vote for Matheson is a vote for "we have to pass the bill so we can see what's in it" pelosi as speaker

• BaldHobbit Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 2:30 p.m.

First of all, if it is in a different district, then I don't really consider it a "re-" election. Secondly, Matheson's comment is just as predictably political as are the drawing of the district boundaries. Deplorable? Maybe. Expected? Definitely. And I am not saying this is all bad, either. Sometimes if the fight is worth fighting, you've got to say some nasty things . . . just sayin' . . .

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 2:28 p.m.

Utah's unemployment has dropped, by job creation. For the country employment dropped because people gave up looking, discouraged, or lost jobs.

Ha Ha Ha Ha....

Not sure why Utah would be the laughing stock of the country. People and businesses keep moving here. Would that make sense if we were the laughing stock?

Maybe instead of being negative and narrow minded and blinded by your party and barack. Maybe you could sit back and learn something from Utah's economy. Which are lower taxes, business friendly environment, educated work force, non-union workers, lower crime, 4-seasons etc. Meanwhile California and other states, believe they are going to increase jobs by taxing the people to death and tax and regulate any business that moves and re-distributing peoples money that work to those who won't work. That may buy them votes, but, they're losing population and congressional seats.

Matheson makes sense only in the sense that he's worried about his job. He represents anything that gives him insider trading information. He mocked Senator Lee for not making as much money as he has being in public office. That should tell you something right there.

• John Harrison Sandy, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 2:05 p.m.

This is an interesting move by Matheson. He's a reasonable guy and has represented his district well.

Redistricting was aimed at harming Salt Lake County and removing its influence as much as possible by dilution. The Sutherland Institute has a great piece explaining the conservative rationale for the marginalization or urban voters.

Given that the announced GOP candidates in the 4th district are very far right a moderate like Matheson has a chance there. I wonder if he'll move, or if he'll just pull a Chaffetz and live outside his district.

• On the other hand Spanish Fork, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 1:48 p.m.

Better Matheson than Wimmer or Sandstrom. Still, I think he would have made a great governor.

• James FFS Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 1:40 p.m.

It was smart for Matheson to jump to the 4th district. There is no way he could have beat Chris Stewart in the 2nd district.

• ljeppson Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 1:33 p.m.

I'm glad to see him hanging in there. We need at least one Democrat in DC.

• williary Kearns, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 1:33 p.m.

As a Democrat, could honestly care less whether Matheson keeps his job or not. Would certainly prefer him to the ultra-conservative ridiculouness of Carl Wimmer, but in the end, it matters not. As was mentioned above, he's able to keep his job in the great blindly Red state of Utah by being allowed not to vote when his vote is not needed. I actually have very little idea what he actually stands for. Rarely takes a stance that could hurt his standing with the Conservative Democrats in Utah.

Carl Wimmer, Mike Lee, Jason Chaffetz, Gary Herbert.....

Utah politics continue to become a laughing stock of American politics. And continue to become less and less relevent, or able to fight for real issues. Nobody takes these clowns seriously.

• reader1234 South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 1:01 p.m.

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 15, 2011 12:19 p.m.

matheson is just another money grabbing politician. he is allowed to do insider trading, waits to vote until he finds out how he should vote (meaning if the democrats need his vote then he's there; if democrats can win without his vote then he'll vote against them to keep the more conservative base happy). In the end he brags at how much more money he makes than Senator Lee....how is this possible if he's serving the people?

Time to get that non-sense matheson out! and his messiah barack