'Up' house could get new paint job

• Jeff Elhardt Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 8, 2011 12:18 p.m.

"Don't like to look at multi colors while we eat"
    interesting statement.

• bronskibomb NEWTON FALLS, OH
    Dec. 7, 2011 4:29 p.m.

Hey Herriman, way to prove what a bunch of incredibly small-minded petty jerks you are... again. The purchasers of this home paid more because of the way it looked. The idiots demanding they repaint it to match what they think looks good (earth tones, barf... probably have a bunch of that horrible log furniture and sofas with cup holders too) should be coughing up the difference in price between what was paid and what a similarly sized home would've cost.

Personally, I'd be rethinking wanting to live anywhere near neighbors like that. Get out now while it's not too late!!

• MansGame Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 6, 2011 10:37 p.m.

We had a visitor passing through ask about those monochromatic houses and she said, "Is that public housing? That's what public housing looks like where I come from." How ironic that the little Up house can't get a fair shake in the movies or in real life...let a little joy into your lives, what do you do when a rainbow appears outside your window?

• trantelica Columbus, NE
    Dec. 6, 2011 2:23 a.m.

For one, it's not like the HOAVappeared ot of now where. If you don't like the rules, don't live there. You have a right to choose where you want to live, but you can't just disregard the existing agreements in place. But that being said, I think the community should see this home as a landmark and allow it to stand. We are moving into an HOA scenario and had our own challenge with color selection. I love my home state, but there is just too many brown houses here.

• DeltaFoxtrot West Valley, UT
    Dec. 5, 2011 1:16 p.m.

Home Owners Associations always bring out the worst in people. I will never live in any neighborhood that has a HOA.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 5, 2011 11:50 a.m.

'He said some property owners have voiced concern about the rainbow-colored house, saying the colors do not fit in.' - Article

Um, rainbows typically don't have pink or pastel colors.

The house is fine.

It does not have any imagery that endorses violence, drugs or any bright, neon colors.

Any offense taken at the house is more a reflection on the persons who cannot accept anything other than what they THINK a house should look like.

Not that the house (an inanimate object) has actually DONE, anything wrong.

I have been 'pulled over', twice for car theft in this state while walking on the side walk in Utah.

I politely tell the office 1) If I had stolen a car why would I be walking and 2) If they check my record they will see my military record, and ZERO felonies, misdeameanors or even an arrest.

At all.

I am from Hawaii.

Being different does NOT mean you are doing anything...

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    Dec. 5, 2011 9:55 a.m.

Oh, the problems associated with living in a First World Country...

• Dan McNeill Edwardsville, IL
    Dec. 5, 2011 7:25 a.m.

Danger Will Robinson....Bleep-----Bleep
    destroy colors Bleep----Bleep
    The HOA must have DRAB----Bleep----Bleep
    Color Is Bad Bleep----Bleep
    We must all be assimilated into the collective-----Bleep---Bleep
    Individuality must be eliminated-------Bleep----Bleep

Interesting thing about flying over West Valley is that it all just looks like one big, well blended desert devoid of color, devoid of thought, devoid of life. It certainly makes me not want to move back to that part of Utah.

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    Dec. 5, 2011 7:13 a.m.

My wife and I have a rule about home-buying: Never buy a home under the control of an HOA.

We would like to choose our own trees and what flowers we grow in the yard. We might want a garden of berries, a little orchard in the back. We would like to paint our home our favorite colors, and change the colors when we like. We might like a cute little picket fence.

We might like to feel we control our own home; we might like to feel we own it, when it is paid for, and not be subject to the dictates of others.

• Spoc Ogden, UT
    Dec. 5, 2011 6:04 a.m.

What does this say about us as a society? If my neighbor doesn't like camouflage condo, if he just doesn't "blend in", it is alright to make his life miserable? What if the HOA felt it wasn't the color of his paint so much as the color of his skin that was driving the property values down?

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
    Dwight D Eisenhower

For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.
    Nelson Mandela

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.
    Abraham Lincoln

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.
    John F Kennedy

What is ominous is the ease with which some people go from saying that they don't like something to saying that the government should forbid it. When you go down that road, don't expect freedom to survive very long.
    Thomas Sowell

How fragile is freedom among men who seek to control one another.

• trekker Salt Lake, UT
    Dec. 4, 2011 10:03 p.m.

I agree i don't mind stucco but i like colors other than brown shades that look dark and depressing. Utah needs "custom" homes not a cookie cutter neighborhood with only 5 styles in it! Honestly CCRs and Home associations should be banned, they go way to far, heaven forbid your home has character!

Dec. 4, 2011 8:44 p.m.

Absurd for people to even want to change the pastel colors of the "Up" house.

The "Up" house in Herriman is the best advertisement for Disney that money can buy. It reminds many of us why we love Disneyland and makes us want to go more often.

• Stenar Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 4, 2011 3:33 p.m.

These new neighborhoods where every house is some shade of tan are so boring. I don't know how people can even stand to live in them.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 4, 2011 1:57 p.m.

I thought Scrooge just hated Christmas.

• washcomom Beaverton, OR
    Dec. 4, 2011 1:45 p.m.

Sometimes the CCRs are just too controlling. Life is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you will get inside. But life is also too short to have joy contained. Carpe diem! Sieze the day!

• mskeillor Fayetteville, GA
    Dec. 4, 2011 1:16 p.m.

If you live in a nearly half million dollar home and your most pressing problem is the color of the house outside your window, you need a perspective adjustment.

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    Dec. 4, 2011 10:59 a.m.

Leave the house alone. Keep the colors! The neighbors should be grateful. Their property values have probably sky-rocketed! Try to see the good in the world!

• owlmaster2 Kaysville, UT
    Dec. 4, 2011 9:44 a.m.

I wish the only problem I had was a colorful home in my neighborhood.

Personally, I find it refreshing to see a home that isn't brown, white or some drab, cave color.

We are becoming a bunch of sheep. If the sheep in front of us does it, it has to be good.

• The Dude Abides Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 4, 2011 9:28 a.m.

must ..... fit . . . . . in . . . .

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Dec. 4, 2011 9:18 a.m.

I say keep the colors. I am kind of tired of the same brown and tan 'earth tones' all over the valley. After a while, some of these neighborhoods start to look like maybe they are inhabited by sandpeople.

If you go to New England, you see bright houses like this all the time. It is nice to see a little color once in a while. I wonder if they couldn't just plant some trees in their backyard to block the view. Then again, in a development like that, you probably have to plant a VERY specific type of Oak tree. NO MAPLES! Their leaves a WAY to big and their color WAY too bright in the fall!

• rok San Diego, CA
    Dec. 4, 2011 8:43 a.m.

What boring neighbors. I hate HOAs and their rules about all houses having to be the same style and color. I'm glad I grew up in a neighborhood that wasn't a development and didn't have HOAs. The variety was nice.

• mominthetrenches South Jordan, Utah
    Dec. 4, 2011 8:34 a.m.

@ImaUteFan: Ditto your comments. Actually I only have heard of ONE person complaining, probably because he was the only negative person quoted in the article. I also agree with "K" from IL--if there was a problem, they could have changed location easy enough before beginning this cool project. As you can see, there are many of us around here who would gladly welcome a house like this in our neighborhoods (me included)!
    @jfish: Hahahaha! I am laughing hardest at your funny comment!

• EJM Herriman, UT
    Dec. 4, 2011 8:22 a.m.

Unbelievable! Leave the house alone. The neighbors are unbelievable.

• Springvillepoet Springville, UT
    Dec. 4, 2011 8:10 a.m.

Jeanie b.---

Or, as we say in Utah: jfish was being "ironical."

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    Dec. 4, 2011 7:43 a.m.

I hope they can keep the colors. People who complain about the color of a neighbor's house need to get busy and work on real problems in the community. jfish's satire fits the circumstances nicely.

• MyChildrensKeeper Taylorsville, UT
    Dec. 4, 2011 6:37 a.m.

Intellectual rights were sold with the house and it was built on conditional use permits so the homeowners association do have the right to maintain equality in the neighborhood. On the other hand the builder could approach the homeowners association and require all homes in the neighborhood change their exterior decor to match the Disney house. A Disneyland in Herriman?

I don't think it was Disneys intent to cause so much chaos over the house colors. What I would question is the conditional use permits to see if the home was supposed to be reconfigured (repainted) to meet the standards of the neighborhood after the use permit expired. Many times conditional permits expire with resale and must have city permission and zone changes to keep them.

Then of course there is the sustainability problem of paint colors over time and how they weather in this area. The exact colors and paint mixture may be patented and intellectual property of Disney, so repainting to match would be a problem in 5-10 years time.

• BrentBot Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 4, 2011 5:18 a.m.

So, paint the back of the house in earth tones to keep that neighbor happy, and keep the colors which the owners and the neighbor across the street want.

• Jeanie b. Orem, UT
    Dec. 3, 2011 11:15 p.m.

Ronnie w.
    jfish was being sarcastic. You must have missed that.

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 3, 2011 11:15 p.m.

I was incredulous listening to people complain about the color of their neighbor's home. Just moments before on the news, we saw houses that have been without power for over 48 hours, severely damaged homes and cars, and now the threat of another windstorm coming to Davis County and possibly causing more damage.

And people are complaining about the color of a house? Come on, folks. Count your blessings and open your eyes. Many people are suffering right in your own backyard. A colorful house is really not a problem in the grand scheme of things.

• doitanyway Herriman, UT
    Dec. 3, 2011 10:45 p.m.

The world is made of color! How anyone could complain about something cheerful is beyond me. But this is Utah... the land of the homogeneous and redundant: Houses, clothes, hairstyles, personalities, etc. Heaven forbid anyone break the mold, think outside the box, or have a thought or voice of their own.

• rightascension Provo, UT
    Dec. 3, 2011 10:38 p.m.

Leave the house colors alone. For starters -- the house plan is based on a Disney - Pixar - RATLAW intellectual property copyright. Therefore, I suspect that the owners cannot change the exterior colors.

• Ellie Marie Herriman, UT
    Dec. 3, 2011 10:26 p.m.

Leave it alone!

• Ronnie W. Layton, UT
    Dec. 3, 2011 9:49 p.m.

Who the heck are we to tell other people what color to make their house or car? If that is seriously is your biggest problem(the color of your neighbors property) then you have a great life.

@jfish- as much as your may hate it, this is a free country and people can wear whatever clothes they like. If you don't like the color of the cars look the other way.

• K Mchenry, IL
    Dec. 3, 2011 9:38 p.m.

Then the house should not have been built there if it needed to change the colors right away after sale. What a waste of energy!

• Potter03 Duchesne, UT
    Dec. 3, 2011 9:01 p.m.

Hook up the balloons to your house and float over to our town . . . we would love to have your colorful house in our earth-tone neighborhood! :)

• srw Riverton, UT
    Dec. 3, 2011 8:51 p.m.

"...sits one of the most unique...houses in the Salt Lake Valley."

That's like saying "she is one of the most pregnant women in the Salt Lake Valley." Either something is unique or it isn't.

• Corey Alpine, UT
    Dec. 3, 2011 7:18 p.m.

Houses with siding should not be painted with earth tones. It doesn't fit the architecture. Besides,Utah could use a little more color and a lot less earthy stucco.

• jfish12390 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 3, 2011 6:27 p.m.

I'm with you Mr. Bohrn. I am trying to get my homeowner's association to do something about my neighbor's bright cars. I hate having to see them when I'm eating breakfast. And don't even get me started on their clothes!

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    Dec. 3, 2011 6:05 p.m.

Wow, wonderful HOAs at it again playing dictator with other peoples property. What's next the HOA will start telling people what color of car they can get so it doesnt clash with all the drab brown in the neighborhood? Let them keep it as is, its a one off house and there are enough brown, tan and grey houses in Utah as it is.

• Mom of 8 Hyrum, UT
    Dec. 3, 2011 6:01 p.m.

Oh, let the colors stay! The world is full of muted earth tones, but this house is so unique, bright and delightful.

I respect the owners for willing to repaint, but I think that would be an immense tragedy. Everyone needs a little "up" in their lives! I hope the home owners association puts it to a vote and that the vibrancy gets to stay.

Dec. 3, 2011 5:51 p.m.

"We would like to not have to see multi-colors as we look out of our windows." Heaven forbid you have to look at mulit-colors! Your life must be pretty peachy (or should I use an earth tone here?) if you're complaining about seeing multi-colors out your windows! Sorry, I don't mean to be rude but come on, lighten up.