Sports

Red roundup: Pundits predict Texas bowl game for Utes

Comments

• TroyTown Anaheim, CA
    Nov. 18, 2011 5:31 p.m.

patriot

"In the years to come I can easily see the U rising to the TOP 3 of the Pac 12 year in and year out."

And you call BYU fans delusional.

The Utes will be doing well if they can finish in the top three of the PAC 12 once every three or four years. More often than not the Utes will be fighting to finish in the upper half of the conference.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 18, 2011 12:43 p.m.

The U has had a good year all in all. Having an injured started QB and having to adjust to that has been tough but even with that wins over BYU, Arizona, UCLA and most likely Wash St. as well as a near miss against USC on the road is really quite impressive. In the years to come I can easily see the U rising to the TOP 3 of the Pac 12 year in and year out. Great job Kyle.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Nov. 18, 2011 10:44 a.m.

I thought the utes were going to the rosebowl. chrissy b?

• Hugo Stiglitz Ogden, UT
    Nov. 18, 2011 9:48 a.m.

CougFaninTX | 9:57 p.m. Nov. 17, 2011
    Frisco, TX
    @UU32
    You're right, if I'm a player, San Antonio and San Diego would be great places to bowl.

As for the Sun Bowl? I lived in El Paso for three years. It may be the worst city to visit or live in America. I'd rather be bowling in Albuquerque than El Paso. If that's where the Utes end up, watch Border Wars on Nat Geo Channel before you go. And don't plan on your car being in the U.S. when you wake up in the morning. They do have great Mexican Food though.

WHAT AN IGNORANT comment to make. Last year El Paso was ranked #1 safest city in the country. Yea what else should I expect from some one called COUGFAN. I guess every city should be like "God's city" Provo UT with "God's University" or is that Frisco TX. Border Wars?? Really? I bet you also "Keep up with the Kardashians". The Sun Bowl is one of the oldest bowls. I have lived both in El Paso TX and South Jordan UT, My car got broken into in SoJo and not once in EL Paso.

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    Nov. 18, 2011 8:36 a.m.

Dutchman

"Sure beats that ????"

Dallas?

Weren't you the one beating your gums about great road trip sites?

Dallas > El Paso

That's not even debateable.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Nov. 18, 2011 8:23 a.m.

Truth,

I'm impressed that you were able to take time away from polishing your Heaps Heisman and trying to score BYU BCS championship tickets to respond to the article.

Considering that's all we heard during the offseason, I think it's appropriate that BYU gets to go to such a major bowl.

• TexasGirlAUte Draper, UT
    Nov. 18, 2011 7:29 a.m.

I don't mind if the Utes play in Texas (I'll be there after all) but I don't think i could handle it if they played my Longhorns!! That would be just too much for me. I might have a heart attack!

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 11:05 p.m.

cjf,

Why does it matter what the fans do? We can talk about the future all we want, but the players need to focus on the next game.

• cjf Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 10:09 p.m.

Personally, I would rather that Ute fans just worry about the next game.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Nov. 17, 2011 10:07 p.m.

TJ is right.

Before the Sun bowl there is Washington State.

Before the Alamo bowl there is Colorado.

Go Utes!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Nov. 17, 2011 9:57 p.m.

@UU32

It would be fun to watch U in the Las Vegas bowl once again for old times sake. Would love to see the Utes against the Horned Frogs one more time.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 4:32 p.m.

That Alamo Bowl would be great. San Antonio is a fantastic sports town for special events. Was there in 1998 with the Utes in the Final Four and would love to visit the river walk and the Alamo again.

San Deigo would be great too.

Sun Bowl would be a great accomplishment this year too given the way things started out in conference.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 4:29 p.m.

"Where is the Sun Bowl...isn't that Texas El Paso stadium...?"

(1/2)TRUTH:

Yes, that 50,000 seat venue on the UTEP campus is known as the Sun Bowl.

You cougies must be all excited to play another C-USA team, this time in the helicopter bowl at SMU's place (capacity 32,000).

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 4:01 p.m.

Lifelong Ute is not a Ute fan. She is just a pot stirer.

Mark it down!

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 3:25 p.m.

I thought the Utes were BCS bound...not Sun Bowl bound? Where is the Sun Bowl...isn't that Texas El Paso stadium...?

Nice Utes, you are really living now...

Have fun in the Sun, but remember, dont drink the water!!

• Sanford SANDY, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 2:47 p.m.

Ken, as good as that scenario is for the Utes, there is no way on this earth that Arizona will beat Arizona State this Saturday, especially with the game in Tempe.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 2:33 p.m.

Or we could all wait until the regular season is over and see where they really go. It never ceases to amaze me how many people make a living off of speculating on sports. They are usually wrong. Wherever they go, I wish the Utes success in their bowl game.

• defibman Syracuse, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 12:10 p.m.

Well, there goes the Rose Bowl.

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 11:31 a.m.

Although Lifeong Ute's scenario is not a "very likely scenario" I would say it's at least a "decent possibility." A few weeks ago even Coach Whit admitted the conference title game was out of reach. The unthinkable has now happened in Arizon State losing 2 games in a row that looked weeks ago like gimmes.

Just 1 more and things will get very interesting!

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 11:14 a.m.

Sure beats that ???? whatever bowl BYU has lined up. Sorry, I couldn't remember the name of that bowl game. I should run for president.

• Kosta Fesenko Chicken McNuggetville, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 11:06 a.m.

give it a rest Chris B/lifelong. we all know you aren't a real Ute fan....

As far as the articles go, I am anxious to see where utah ends up obviously, but I want us to finish the year strong. wazzu is not teh pushover of yesteryear. It will take a total team effort to top them on the road.

• Lifelong Ute Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 17, 2011 10:51 a.m.

The stars are aligning for a battle of best pac 12 offense vs. best pac 12 defense in first ever conference of champions championship! Ducks Utes 2011