Sports

Blue roundup: USU 'welcomes' BYU to Spectrum tonight

Comments

• Aggie lover LOGAN, UT
    Nov. 12, 2011 5:07 p.m.

I am not a troll. I am a true blue Aggie fan. I love the Hurd and the whole student section. I love the electricity in the Spectrum. I love the orchestrated chants and I even like the harassment to the opposing teams and players. With all that said, I am embarrassed when they go over the line of propriety and good taste, and last night that line was crossed. Aggie fans should be loud and excited, but consider what you are saying and displaying. Go Aggies!

• VAggie Bristow, United States
    Nov. 11, 2011 11:43 p.m.

Treecaps,
    It worked didn't it. BYU definitely got flustered by the crowd in the 2nd half during that run. If BYU had won, maybe you'd have ground to stand on... but they didn't now did they?

• Keep Family Farms Alive Utah County, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 10:02 p.m.

Nice win Aggies! As usual, I credit Stew for having our guys ready. I love how our crowd is so loud that the players can't even hear the ref's whistles. Arguably the best crowd in the country.

USU basketball and the craziness that surrounds it is good clean fun for Utah State students. Make fun all you want, but you know you are always welcome to join us. (although I was hoping we would leave the Davies thing alone. I'll apologize on behalf of those few who just had to go there).

LET'S GO AGGIES ! ! !!!

PS. Please, no more silly comments about USU students being unable to get in to BYU. As for me, I went to BYU for my first year and chose to transfer to USU after my mission.

• Blue02 LOGAN, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 9:21 p.m.

@ Tom and Ducky. If we're so small time and BYU is such a highlight, why is it that your fans storm the field after a win and we don't? Hmmm. Enjoy the loss little brother.

• treecaps22 Charlotte, North Carolina
    Nov. 11, 2011 8:54 p.m.

Oh my goodness - these USU announcers on ESPN3 are driving me crazy. They act as if the Spectrum is the loudest arena on earth and that every positive play for Utah State is directly tied to the crowd. 50% of the analysis has been basketball and 50% has been the crowd. Home cooking.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 6:52 p.m.

@FreeMan

Logan=Laramie??? Have you visited both places? Logan (and Cache Valley) is God's country. A little chilly, but still a fantastic place. I'd take Logan over Provo in a heartbeat.

The sign was a bit tacky and the chant lame. But if you have never watched a basketball game at the Spectrum, you haven't experienced the best of college basketball. The place is an incredibly loud madhouse! I have watched games at the Huntsman center (not a bad place to see game) and the Marriott Center (terrible place to watch a game if you don't have decent seats.) The Spectrum and the Aggie fans beat them both, hands down.

Go Aggies!

P.S. Tom in CA. It would have been a highlight to see Jimmer. Without him, BYU is just another team on the schedule.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Nov. 11, 2011 6:27 p.m.

The highlight of the year for the usu nation is when BYU comes to town. It's a sad state of affairs.

Go Cougars!!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 6:02 p.m.

Ducky

Amen brother!

FYI --- Tonight's game streaming available at ESPN3 and also check UtahStateAggies website per a KSL story

• rok San Diego, CA
    Nov. 11, 2011 5:49 p.m.

Logan is just a smaller version of Provo.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 5:19 p.m.

TJ there are plenty of Aggies that could get into byu but didn't want too. Remember the saying about "being smart!"

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 5:09 p.m.

@northern

I'm not sure I understand your what you are asking me?

@gdog

Actually I wish duck hunting was a little bit more "small time". It gets to crowded out in the marshes sometimes for my taste. I like the seclusion of it more than anything.

Also I don't have any idea what channel the game is on on direct tv because I have comcast. I know BYUtv isn't covering it because it is not a home game. Since it is in Logan usu has rights to the game, not BYU.

• H-man Shreveport, LA
    Nov. 11, 2011 4:47 p.m.

There's a thread on a Utah State fan board asking for suggestions for signs for the game tonight. The majority are personal attacks on Brandon Davies. Can anyone say classless? Making fun of someone who has overcome a very personal situation that never should have been made public anyway (thanks to a certain other Salt Lake newspaper) to EARN reinstatement to the team and to the school reveals a lot about those who would do and say such things.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Nov. 11, 2011 4:40 p.m.

Now Duck Hunter, you have to laugh at Mr. Northern's post.

Is duck hunting small time?

What channel is the BYU vs. USU game on relative to my Direct TV? What some corporate conflict again?

• Northern Logan, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 4:29 p.m.

Duckhunter | 3:41 p.m. Nov. 11, 2011
    Highland, UT

Hey duck-hunter, one question for you, where did you learn to Duck hunt?

Let me guess.. LOGAN..

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 4:26 p.m.

@cottagecheese

Well since they won I'm not to worried about it. Of course your team lost to someone called adams state that I have never heard of. I'd be a bit more concerned about them if I was you.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 4:25 p.m.

@gdog

You won't get much grammar smack from me. I'm a terrible typist and only remember to proof read about 10% of the time. If I can get your gist then I really don't care about your typing prowess or your grammar.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Nov. 11, 2011 4:23 p.m.

@Duckhunter

I find it kind of sad as well. I just don't think it makes the Aggies small time.

• CottageCheese SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 4:22 p.m.

@duckbutter

BYU looked pretty big time last weekend when they almost lost to Dixie State on their home court....

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 4:21 p.m.

@kosta fesenko aka "duckhunter hunter", "hondo", "officer coolguy", "54-10", "articuno BYU", "noblepromise", "slc BYU fan", etc

I've told you I am simply the balance to your 100 different screen names that you use to troll up every single BYU article. Add in christina b, howie, naval lint, and all the other utah "fans" that help yu troll up all of the BYU articles and I probably don't post anywhere near enough on utah articles to come close to balancing it out. Even with Sammy's help and a couple of other good Cougar fans it isn't enough.

But it is enough to irritate utah "fans" like yourself more than you want to be irritated it. I'll probably keep it up.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 4:16 p.m.

@gdog

If it were game night and the BYU players were getting off the bus to go into the arena for the game then I would agree with you. But this was the day before the game and BYU was going to the spectrum for a shoot around. aggies fans either went out of their way to find out when BYU was going to practice so they could show up in mass and chant "go aggies" for 20 seconds, or else they camped out there for hours ahead of time hoping BYU would show up so they coudl chant "go aggies" for 20 seconds.

Either way I find it to be kind of sad.

• where's the beef Provo, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 4:12 p.m.

Should be a good game. I really like both coaches. Coach Morrill is probably the best basketball coach in the state. Coach Rose is pretty good also. I graduated from BYU but my kids all go to USU so I usually cheer for both. I have to go with the Cougars tonight but the Spectrum can get rockin when the Cougars come to town.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Nov. 11, 2011 4:06 p.m.

I wish the Deseret news had an edit option after posts are submitted.

It's been my fault, but I look like a grammatical clown sometimes. Yes I know where question marks belong. Save the Ute education comments directed at me brave bird hunter.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Nov. 11, 2011 4:03 p.m.

@ Duckhunter

The example of why you think USU is small time is off.

USU may be small time by some other defintions. But camping out and chanting resembles more fan obsession than small time.

The USU fan behavior is similar to SEC type tailgating, partying, chanting, and camping out. Are they small time.

I say BYU might be small time for having no or little weekend prep for football games. Notice I said 'might be' small time. I actually consider BYU bigger than there independence. They are being shut out right. Some of that is on them as well. Still, BYU has my respect in some ways, just like USU does. I am a Ute but not a subjective hater.

• Kosta Fesenko Chicken McNuggetville, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 4:02 p.m.

@duckhunter

so explain your obsession with posting on every single utah article?

Go Aggies! I think they win tonight going away.

• FreeMan Heber City, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 3:58 p.m.

The sign said "Welcome to Hell".

Ummm, we're just visiting. You guys live there.

Logan = the new Laramie

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 3:41 p.m.

I love how that post got the utah "fans" worked up. LOL!

The point is I wouldn't go out into the cold just to stand on the stairs and chant "Go BYU" while usu went into the Marriott Center for a shoot around the day before the game. That simply oozes small time program with small time fans.

I do like that usu fans did it though because it just shows how imprtant BYU is to them.

The fact utah "fans" like little skippy and gdog commented on it, an article about BYU and USU that has nothing at all to do with utah, shows us exactly how much they care about BYU. I love that as well. LOL!

Oh and skippy, yes I certainly go out duck hunting on cold days. Actually nasty stormy days with alot of wind are the best duck hunting days. I look for them and if the wind starts blowing I immediately leave my office and head out to hunt. Love it. But no I wouldn't head out in the cold to watch one of BYU's opponenents get off their bus to go practice. I wouldn't even think about doing that. LOL!

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Nov. 11, 2011 3:39 p.m.

Coach Morrill and Coach Rose are two terrific coaches. They both look to be depleted on talent to me this year though. Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see both have relative success.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 3:39 p.m.

4601, People that actually know basketball have no doubt that the Aggies are very good and very tough to beat at home and they are taken seriously. Do the Aggie students get carried away sometimes? Yes, but we actually have students going to the games....all the games and not just the big games. As for the scoreboard last year it was fine and didn't bother me a bit but I sure like the one from the last ybu visit to the Spectrum much better.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Nov. 11, 2011 3:38 p.m.

Go Aggies!

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Nov. 11, 2011 3:27 p.m.

@Duckhunter

Do you duck hunt when there is a chill outside?

What is this go out of their way when it's cold outside business?

I am a Ute fan but applaud USU fans for living life in the Logan cold.

What are they supposed to do? Stay inside and hibernate for 5 months out of the year?

Grow a pair duckhunter.

• Skippy West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 3:20 p.m.

re: Duckhunter, Why don't you just pat yourself on the back?

Good luck Aggies

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 3:00 p.m.

Notice how the chanting just kind of dies out after a few seconds and the BYU players ignoring them. LOL!

Now I was born in Logan while my Dad attended utah state. My mothers family is all from Logan. I feel a little bit of a warm spot in my heart for usu. But it doesn't change the fact that they are simply small time with small time fans. It shows when they would go that far out of their way, when it is freezing cold outside, to simply make a chant as BYU players get off of the bus. When usu comes to the Marriott Center I never even think about them until I see them on the floor warming up and I quickly forget all about them after they leave defeated. usu fans seem to be obsessed with BYU year round. I guess that is just the difference between being BYU and usu.

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 2:59 p.m.

It may have even been creepier if none of those people said anything. Just one person yell, "you are going to get killed tomorrow" or something like that.

GoUtesss, yes the game is on. I think it is 14.1 for digital box. I have Dish and I think it is ch. 37. Also it will be on espn3

• GoUtesss SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 2:57 p.m.

Nevermind, I found out that it is on TV. 7:00pm on channel 44 or one of the ESPN channels.

• GoUtesss SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 2:52 p.m.

Is this game on TV? If so, what time and what channel?

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 2:20 p.m.

Great basketball. I laughed hard when so many people got bent out of shape last year over byu's jumbotron's messages of "enjoy the loss little brother" or something very tame like that. Heaven forbid the USU basketball team and fans endure something so awful and mean! I hope they recovered emotionally!

For anyone who got upset over that - I'm glad it bothered you.

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 2:16 p.m.

USU fans have no other life: immature - with all it's negative implications. They won't elevate themselves by trying to bring others down. And still Aggie fans wonder why USU isn't taken seriously.

• Boston Spanish Fork, UT
    Nov. 11, 2011 2:12 p.m.

GO AGGIES! I visit the Spectrum every year and if you appreciate a college game atmosphere...The Spectrum is a great example!