Two Mormon missionaries killed in Texas, third taken to hospital

• avaline white Resburg, Idaho
    Nov. 12, 2011 1:17 p.m.

This is so sad, there is not a doubt about that. But we must trust that this is our Heavenly Father's plan for these boys. We don't need to know why. Just trust it is right.

• bdckpakccd Plano, TX
    Nov. 11, 2011 6:44 a.m.

I was not "bashing" the driver when I suggested that immigration status was perhaps the reason they fled. I live in Texas and whenever people flee the scene of accidents, a large percentage of the time it is because of their immigration status. I wasn't "hating", just stating how it is here. I can say this with certainty---the missionaries that died would rather have taught the Gospel to the men in the truck than send them to jail. While jail is a certainty for the driver, I hope he will also get the opportunity to hear the message these young men gave their lives to share.

• kerrylyne CODY, WY
    Nov. 10, 2011 12:03 p.m.

My son is serving in the Mcallen Texas mission and I am heartbroken and thankful all at the same time. My heart aches for the families involved and I pray they can find comfort and peace. I hope they do review the biking rules as my son is using a bike 100% of the time as well.

• awsomeron Waianae, HI
    Nov. 10, 2011 11:34 a.m.

I would just want to Pray for everyone, and their familys. All around with No one left out, it was apparently an accident, an accident can happen to anyone, thats why its call an accident.

I hope the Man was legal and I hope he was Not Drunk.

The two dead ones nothing you can do. Pray for the families and close friends who have lost much. Perhaps the close friends who have lost much most of all.

The live one we hope will recover and lead a normal life. Perhaps this will be enough and he will go home.

If this was what it was an accident, then it should be taken as such nothing more, nothing less.

I have a Daughter who may be going out soon, I would not want to make or receive that call.

Men and perhaps women that age have died in Combat this week, lets pray for them also.

At lot of people leave a scene of an accident. Flight is a human reaction as much as Fight is a human reaction.

I am glad both my Vehicles are registered, safety checked, and have POI thats current.

• RShackleford Saint George, UT
    Nov. 10, 2011 9:49 a.m.

"Jose Luis Garza Flores, 32, is a Mexican national living in Weslaco"(TX), you can google it since you can't link to facts on the DN forum.

Not a surprize to any honest person. Sometimes you can fill in the gaps without much of a chance of being wrong.

• walkstronglyharris EDINBURG, TX
    Nov. 9, 2011 9:53 p.m.

i am a young women from the ward these elder were in.i couldnt believe what happened when they told me.i remeber shaking one of the eleders hand barley last sunday this is soo sad and my heart goes out to their family's ill keep them in my prayers.

• Kami Bountiful, Utah
    Nov. 9, 2011 5:33 p.m.

While many of you are bashing the legal status of the driver, you might want to keep in mind that in that area and in many other areas near the US/Mexico border our missionaries don't question the legal status of investigators. It isn't relevant to them or to the church. They love all people they have the opportunity to teach and you wouldn't see a missionary going off about the legal status of this driver.

• anchorageles Ventura, CA
    Nov. 9, 2011 4:25 p.m.

I am so,so sorry, I feel for all that is involved...once again ,I am so sorry that this has happened.....

• Serenity Manti, UT
    Nov. 9, 2011 11:57 a.m.

It's so incredibly sad when accidents such as this happen. My heart goes out to the families of these missionaries. May the Lord be with them and grant them that peace and comfort which surpasses all understanding.

• jimhale Eugene, OR
    Nov. 9, 2011 11:40 a.m.

Depending upon the facts, it might well have been a crime whether they fled the scene or not.

• jimhale Eugene, OR
    Nov. 9, 2011 11:38 a.m.

Where in the article does it say the driver was here illegally?

You don't have to be from another country to want to avoid responsibility for something this tragic.

The thing I would like to know is whether the car was braking at impact or going full-speed ahead. And if passing was involved, did the driver of the passed (?) car stop? What do witnesses, like that driver say?

Just my bias, but I would have expected "intentional" before "immigrant".

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    Nov. 9, 2011 11:17 a.m.

Its always tragic when something like this happens. My condolences to the families.

• Relocated Southerner Logan, UT
    Nov. 9, 2011 11:03 a.m.

It may have been an accident when it first happened, but when the driver and passengers fled from the scene, regardless of their legal status, it was very irresponsible and cold-hearted and then became a crime. My heart just breaks for the families of these missionaries. They will eventually learn to live with their loss, but their hearts will hurt over this for the rest of their lives. My prayers and love go out to their families.

• BYUte06 Beverly Hills, CA
    Nov. 9, 2011 10:42 a.m.

They will continue their work on the other side. How unfortunate and tragic for their families, prayers are with them. The Lord will bless them for their sacrifice, in His own time and in His own way.

How grateful I am for temple covenants that give me reassurance the frailties of mortal life are not a dissonant note to end such a beautiful experience. The families will see their missionaries again.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 9, 2011 10:32 a.m.

Any parents worst nightmare. Holy cow this is horrible. We should all offer heart felt prayers in behalf of these families.

• gsa RIVERTON, UT
    Nov. 9, 2011 10:15 a.m.

I do not like people jumping to conclusions about the legal status of the driver of the vehicle. It could have been any person. Either way it seems like a tragic accident. I am sorry for the families of these missionaries.

• dahomes555 Phoenix, Az
    Nov. 9, 2011 9:57 a.m.

I served in this area. Donna is about 10 miles north of the border. There are a lot of undocumented people living in this region. While this is purely speculative, it is possible, like some have mentioned, that the driver was illegal and that's why he fled the scene.

This is very sad for the families of these young boys. I've spoken with a few members in the area and they are all very very saddened and shocked as well.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Nov. 9, 2011 9:51 a.m.

Terrible news. My thoughts and prayers are with the families.

• madmadavy Kamloops, BC
    Nov. 9, 2011 9:47 a.m.

We get to hear of all the wonderful miracles that our missionaries go through. It is hard to hear of such a tragedy, however, it is very comforting to know of Heavenly Father's plan for us and he has called these wonderful missionaries home where they will once again be reunited with their families that have gone before and will be there to greet their family members yet to leave this earth. I love the plan of salvation and the atonement of Jesus Christ that made eternal life with Heavenly Father and our families possible.

• washcomom Beaverton, OR
    Nov. 9, 2011 9:46 a.m.

A family gives of themselves when their child leaves on a mission. It's heart rendering when a child doesn't return in the way they left. Oh how my heart goes out to the Elders' families. My sincere love and prayers.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Nov. 9, 2011 9:45 a.m.

I've seen missionaries here riding their bikes at night and it has concerned me. It just doesn't seem safe.
    I hope they find the guilty though often hit and run go unsolved.
    My deepest condolences to the families.

• Gerry2783 MISSION, TX
    Nov. 9, 2011 9:38 a.m.

they said the driver tried to pass the car in front through the bike lane which was where the missionaries we on and thats when he hit them

• ciaobello Concord, CA
    Nov. 9, 2011 9:37 a.m.

This is awful news. I'm so very sorry for the families of these elders. Bikes are to go in the same direction flow as cars. Were they biking against the flow of cars? When walking face traffic. I'm heartsick.

• VocalLocal Salt Lake, UT
    Nov. 9, 2011 9:36 a.m.

It is always a tragedy when someone dies but it is particularly tragic when it is those that are so young and far from home. I cannot imagine the heartache of their families. My thoughts go out to them and I hope they can feel some measure of peace through this difficult time.

• Big Red '93 The High Plains of, Texas
    Nov. 9, 2011 9:30 a.m.

My heart goes out to the families of the missionaries killed and injured. I hope their faith can see them all through this tragedy. My heart also goes out to the mission president and missionaries serving in that area. It will have an affect on them for sure. I have a son currently serving in Italy and answered the phone to the voice of the Mission President. My heart jumped when he stated our son had been in a bike wreck. Luckily he was only slightly injured, but the car "he hit" had $1800 damage (Italian sports car). I broke my neck riding a bike (my fault) on my mission too. I was lucky to complete my service. Serving missions can be dangerous but they are worth it.

• janean Huppi HAWTHORNE, NV
    Nov. 9, 2011 9:26 a.m.

May God bless all in need of comfort. No greater love. . . These 2 young men gave their lives in service to their fellow man and to their God.
    Let us react as God would have us do so that we might honor the teachings of Christ which these three elders were sharing.

• Gregg Weber SEATTLE, WA
    Nov. 9, 2011 9:26 a.m.

Looking at Google Maps I see Midway Road, and South Avenue but no Midway South Street.

• Skippy West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 9, 2011 9:18 a.m.

The new news is the driver has turned himself in. Hopefully the Dnews can get the details.

• Gregg Weber SEATTLE, WA
    Nov. 9, 2011 9:15 a.m.

There's that Stobor if the story is true that the car was passing a second car (and apparently didn't see opposing bicycle trafic). The headlights question becomes very important.

• Gregg Weber SEATTLE, WA
    Nov. 9, 2011 9:08 a.m.

How could a southbound car hit 3 northbound bicycle riders? Were they in a row on the curb side or side by side? Were their headlights on? A very important question that the survivor might not have noticed in order to answer is this: Did that car pass them going northbound and then turn around?
    Besides illegal (Or undocumented which isn't quite correct since an undocumented doesn't have all the documents, while illegal doesn't care as long as s/he doesn't get caught.) and having an accident.
    There is the stolen car possibility and an accident.
    There is the purposeful attack with or without a stolen car.
    There is the Stobor that we don't know about. (The unknown threat from the story "tunnel in the sky".)
    Personally the first is a possibility but to me, it doesn't add up to me.

• Skippy West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 9, 2011 9:01 a.m.

Elder Todd was released from the hospital this morning.
    My prayers go out to the other families. This is a tragic situation and it should not happen to anyone.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Nov. 9, 2011 9:00 a.m.

According to the map in the story it is not on the border but on the Gulf side of Texas. The driver apparently turned himself in at the border crossing this morning. They are still looking for the passengers. A reporter from the town said it appears they passed a car and hit the missionaries head on.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Nov. 9, 2011 9:00 a.m.

A tragic story. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of these modern day disciplies of Christ. Bless these families.

Nov. 9, 2011 8:53 a.m.

My heart aches for the families and loved ones of these precious, faithful missionaries. My deepest condolences to them. There are no other words to describe the tremendous grief they must be feeling, HEARTBREAKINGLY SAD.

• Ross Madison, AL
    Nov. 9, 2011 8:51 a.m.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the families of these missionaries who have placed their loved one in God's hands for two years to serve a mission, may they find comfort in knowing God is over all, only time will reveal the eternal meaning in this tragedy.

• JNA Layton, UT
    Nov. 9, 2011 8:33 a.m.

My deepest heartfelt prayers go with the families.

• Kent G. Budge Los Alamos, NM
    Nov. 9, 2011 8:21 a.m.

Given the circumstances, the proper assumption is this started out as an accident.

However, once the driver of the vehicle left the scene, it turned into a crime, and a serious one. Regardless of your circumstances or whether the accident was your fault, you do not abandon injured or dying people.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 9, 2011 8:21 a.m.

Well, this is every missionary parent's nightmare come true. I've always hated the bike thing. I understand they were riding after dark. Why? I am a cyclist who's scared everytime when driving on a public road. Cars and bikes don't mix.

Nov. 9, 2011 8:04 a.m.

I want to express my sincere consolation to the family of these missionaries. Just over two months ago, my family and I lost my sweet sister, Vanessa Bentley, who was serving a mission in upstate New York. Her death is still so unreal. We never imagined not being able to see her again in this life. The pain is so deep and sorrow so real, it is hard to carry on sometimes. I guess I just want to make sure that the families of these missionaries know that the church members and others will mourn with you and pray for you. The scriptures and patriarchal blessings bring comfort. Stay close to the Lord.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Nov. 9, 2011 8:01 a.m.

My heart felt condolences, what terrible news to receive about your son.

I remember riding my bike in the mission field and there were plenty of times I narrowly escaped an accident.

I am sad about one of the heartless and crass comments posted here on this blog site. Dexter, come on this is a real life horrible tragedy not some fiction based detective show.

Neither is this the time or place to vent your back handed attitudes slaps toward the LDS church.

People please show some common human dignity.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    Nov. 9, 2011 8:01 a.m.

I have a daughter serving in the San Antonio Mission. You can imagine how I felt when I saw the headline: Two Mormon Missionaries Killed in Texas.

Was it my daughter?

I was certain that it was not because the church would have notified me in some way other than by a newspaper article; nevertheless, those thoughts do cross your mind.

It was with profound relief that I learned that it was not my daughter. It was also with profound sorrow for the families of those young men who did not share my relief and who learned about it in a more personal way.

My heart, faith and prayers are with those families.

I look forward to a joyous reunion with my daughter in just a few weeks when she completes her mission. May the families of the deceased Elders likewise have a joyous reunion in the eternities.

• hopeandme Livingston, TX
    Nov. 9, 2011 7:54 a.m.

This is so sad. Heartbreaking sad.

• BR Sandy, UT
    Nov. 9, 2011 7:47 a.m.

It's sad to see people forgetting the victims and focusing on the trespassers with prejudice. All of them need our prayers. Please, let the law take care of the law.

Nov. 9, 2011 7:37 a.m.

I am truly sorry for your loss. But, think of the other side of this coin..on an eternal outlook. They are free from the sins of this world and this generation. They no longer have to worry about health problems or financial worries. They don't have to worry about going to war or any of the other worries that abound in this life. They are home.. truly home.. they just left their mission earlier then what was planned. My thoughts of course are with the families. Even with this knowledge grief is something that we all must go through at the time of the death of a love one. Don't lose you faith or your hope.. you will see them again!

• Kathy. Iowa, Iowa
    Nov. 9, 2011 7:36 a.m.

Extremely tragic no matter what the circumstances when you lose a child. As a parent to 4 sons that served I can say that my heart goes out to them.

We all have to admit that people flee scenes when they think they can get away with it. All the owner of the vehicle has to do is say it was stolen.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that someone living with a fake ID only has to escape and change their name to do it again another day.

• Rob Logan, UT
    Nov. 9, 2011 6:57 a.m.

So very sad. My thoughts and prayers are with these families and their friends at this time. A Missionary that dies is the whole churches sorrow.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Nov. 9, 2011 6:56 a.m.

What a heart ache for the families of these boys(young men). To get such news would be a mothers/fathers worst nightmare. Not being able to be for them would be so hard. I hope the are able to find some comfort at some point in time, though I know that will be hard particularly as we head into the holiday season.

Such a senseless loss....

• bdckpakccd Plano, TX
    Nov. 9, 2011 6:51 a.m.

I understand it was dark and rainy. This town is near the border. It is possible (and none of us knows yet), that this was an accident and the driver & passengers fled because they were undocumented. This happens with regularity as far north as Plano. I hope this is a tragic accident and not an intentional attack. Time will tell. However, for the families of those young men, it will not matter. My heart goes out to them and I'm praying for their comfort.

• Sense Maker SANDY, UT
    Nov. 9, 2011 6:51 a.m.

I am weeping for the families of these three missionaries. But I have no doubts that the two that have passed on are in a glorious place and in the arms of their Heavenly Father and his son Jesus Christ.

• caleby Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 9, 2011 6:30 a.m.

7:30pm is pretty dark right now anywhere in the states. Frankly, if you don't have flashing lights, you are difficult to see as a cyclist. The church should make sure missionaries either don't ride at night or they are lit up like a Christmas tree.

• Laura M. Warburton Huntsville, UT
    Nov. 9, 2011 6:21 a.m.

So sad.

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 9, 2011 6:09 a.m.

The driver could be an illegal alien, and if so they will never come forward.

• tenx Santa Clara, UT
    Nov. 9, 2011 5:47 a.m.

How could anyone hit 3 people and then leave the scene? Unbelievable.

• Let's be reasonable Belgrade, Serbia
    Nov. 9, 2011 3:07 a.m.

Dexter has it.

• apache1 Phoenix, AZ
    Nov. 9, 2011 1:08 a.m.

I am so sorry to learn of this terrible tragedy, I will be keeping the family of the two elders in thought and prayer as they are forced to endure this very sad event in their lives.

• Dexter Maven OGDEN, UT
    Nov. 9, 2011 12:17 a.m.

@kanaka818. We'd both agree that this is all very sad.

• kanaka818 West Hills, CA
    Nov. 9, 2011 12:11 a.m.

It might be possible that the car had been stolen. Therefore, no ID from the car except maybe fingerprints.

• Dexter Maven OGDEN, UT
    Nov. 8, 2011 11:28 p.m.

Let me understand that people were driving a vehicle (registered and insured?), and the driver and passengers fled the scene of the crime on foot, leaving a vehicle behind that could be identified?

It sounds pretty clear who hit them.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Nov. 8, 2011 10:54 p.m.

That would be a phone call I would not want to make or want to receive. How sad. Best wishes and blesses on the families.

• rogerdpack2 Orem, UT
    Nov. 8, 2011 10:32 p.m.

My condolences to the families!

• spring street SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 8, 2011 10:29 p.m.

How unfortunate. My heart goes out to their families.