Red roundup: AP points out that both Utah and Colorado are struggling in the Pac-12

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 14, 2011 4:18 p.m.

@ yankees27

I retract my earlier statement. I misread your post.

Thank you for brining it to my attention.

I assumed you were talking about BYU, but you made it clear that YOU said Utah was currently a mediocre mid major program.

Again, I apologize, and, thank you for the clarification.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Oct. 13, 2011 11:08 p.m.

@ uteology

Getting used to 'that' position I see. I was there for a few days in September. Did not feel good but I now know how you feel. It will take some time to get used to it again this season. It comes back easily doesn't it?

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Oct. 13, 2011 10:33 p.m.

Seriously how hard is it to understand, even for a Utah hater, that going 0-3 is not the end of the world. Original PAC-8 teams, even with their "BCS talent", have been worse (2008 0-12 Washington). I would be worried if we were 0-3 playing a mid-major schedule, like 1-4 BYU last year.

Utah has the coaching but lacks the depth. When they develop the depth then Utah will be able compete for the PAC-12 title.

BTW speaking of logic, can you please tell us which one of our players that but a 54-10 smack-down wouldn't start at BYU?

Pointing at scoreboard > Laying in a fetal postion

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Oct. 13, 2011 9:31 p.m.

Re: sammyg

TheMTN > BYUtv

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Oct. 13, 2011 9:26 p.m.

BYU could beat the Philadelphia Eagles.

Eagles are 1-4 and BYU is 4-2.

Even if the Eagles beat BYU, say 54-10, and the Eagles played NFL teams the rest of their games and BYU played high school teams, somehow BYU would still be better, right?

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 13, 2011 6:31 p.m.

@ sammyg | 6:12 p.m. Oct. 13, 2011
    Springville, UT

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Oct. 13, 2011 6:12 p.m.

RES < LES and ESPN > KJZZ

Hopes that help make yur daay. Bad football season, eh?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 13, 2011 6:02 p.m.

Your logic isn't very logical. Let me see if I can follow it.

Washington was 0-12 because they had a bad coach. Ok I can agree with that. Now they have a good coach so they are 4-1. Once again I can agree with that.

Utah is 0-3 but their coach is "already good" despite being 0-3. So Washington turned it around by getting a new coach instead of the one that was 0-12. utah is going to turn it around by keeping the same coach that has gotten them to that stellar 0-3 record.

Yep utah "fan" logic at its finest.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Oct. 13, 2011 5:49 p.m.

@Veritas Aequitas

Um, okay let me help you out.

In just 4 years Washington went from being 0-12 to 4-1 this year. Why? They finally have a good coach.

So as of today Utah at 0-3 is not as bad as Washington. Thus, Utah already has a good coach we just need to develop depth to be able to compete at the next level.

As far as this year, I have always said Utah is looking at growing pains. I said in the off-season that Utah will finish 8-4 this season, only time will tell if I overestimated.

"And if I don't point out you abuse of the English Language and word usage, someone else will."

Really, "you abuse"? I'm being lectured to by you?

Speaking of abuse, all I have to do is "point to the scoreboard" ... 54-10.

What do you have spelling/grammar smack? What happened to stadium size and ESPN exposure?

• JohnnyJingle SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Oct. 13, 2011 3:44 p.m.

Incredible what a couple close wins against low-level WAC teams can do for shaky self-confidence. Imagine the arrogance that will show up IF byu can pull-off wins againt Idaho and New Mexico State.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 13, 2011 1:55 p.m.

You're right, we're not good enough to beat the best of Pac 12 yet, but at least we have the opportunity and the challenge along with the money to help get there. The point is the naysayers from our opponents and the gloom and doom fans from within the Ute ranks need to look at where our first three conference opponents rank right now and realize we've played one of the toughest early season schedules in the conference. The level of competition goes down hill from here and while we may not win all the rest of our games, we have an excellent shot at a winning record and a bowl game. We only need five of our last 7 and Ted Miller at ESPN has us picked to win Saturday. Ted also has Oregon State picked to win, sorry Cougars.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 13, 2011 1:45 p.m.

"(BYU has Bowl invites for the next 3 years already). Something never before seen in the history of NCAA football."

Sorry to burst your bubble, but BYU has only followed Army and Navy in securing bowl bids to the very same bowls Army and Navy have been bouncing between for years.

Before you get too high and mighty you best keep in mind what BYU has in store. They still have to play Oregon State, TCU and Hawaii. Most analysts don't expect BYU to win any of those games. Also they have at least one FCS opponent themselves in Idaho State. So while you're discounting our win over Montana State you better take that one off the table for BYU. Let's see, that's 4 of BYU's last 6 games are losses or don't count towards bowl eligibility so BYU finishes at 6-6, 7-6 if they win their bowl game. Wow, that looks a lot like last year.

• midpacmajor Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 13, 2011 11:13 a.m.

3. Arizona State
    4. Washington
    5. USC

Utah lost to some pretty good teams.

Utah fans are finally beginning to accept reality that the Utes just aren't good enough to beat teams in the upper half of the PAC 12?

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 13, 2011 10:57 a.m.

re: Uteology

Washington 2008 was 0-12

UNLV 2007 was 2-10

Would you mind making a comparison of BYU-Washington 2008 versus Utah-UNLV 2007?

Also, let's not forget that BYU's lone win in last year's 1-4 start, was against... Washington, with first-round NFL draft pick Jake Locker at QB.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 13, 2011 10:50 a.m.

Uteology | 10:47 p.m. Oct. 12, 2011
    Fort Worth, Texas

Washington in 2008 was 0-12.

What does that have to do with Utah and Colorado in 2011?

Has Uteology ever commented on any story without bringing up stats about another University?

Here's the thing. Larry Scott mentioned that the U went PAC because of the U's "athletic prowness".

Several magazines, and most of Ute Nation were thumping their chest about the PAC championship game and possible Rose Bowl.

All I have been saying since before the invite is that the U is just not that good.

Even Kyle lately has been saying what I have said all along.

At this point, the U will not be competative in PAC football.

Uteology, I was, and am, right about University of Utah football this year, and you continue to be wrong.

Dude, I have seen them play, and they are not as good as the rose colored glasses crowd believes, regardless of what Washington did in 2012.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Oct. 13, 2011 9:52 a.m.

@ Uteology

Thanks for posting that Washington was 0 - 12 in 2008. Would you mind also posting their all-time records against Utah and BYU?

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Oct. 13, 2011 9:46 a.m.

TJ- So what? Bowl invites are pending bowl eligibility minimum 6 wins. Are you the Cougars Chris B? Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Seriously, we all need to move on, BYU is Indy, and the U is part of the Pac12. We'll both take our lumps along the way. Someday the U will play in the Rose bowl, and really I don't care where the Y ends up. In the words of Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along"?

P.S I still hate the BCS, we need a playoff system soon.

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Oct. 13, 2011 9:38 a.m.

Jaydee- The old and classless may have been true, but "smacked of desperation" is all yours. That's what paraphrasing will get ya. And if you'll re-read my comment you'll see that once again you are wrong, go figure. I called the Utes the mediocre mid major team because that's what an earlier poster had called them. I didn't call the Cougars that. I said they were still looking for a conference, which I believe in my estimation, is calling them Independent, right?

So no hypocrisy here, but keep trying. I'll expect the retraction soon. Thanks

• NC FROGS 2010 Gilbert, AZ
    Oct. 13, 2011 8:50 a.m.

I don't recall seeing anything about the Cougars in the AP article about Utah's struggles in the Pac10? I'm not sure that the "but we throttled BYU" argument holds much water with the author. Truth is, U aren't as good as U thought you were for the second year in a row...

• Weber State Graduate Clearfield, UT
    Oct. 13, 2011 8:18 a.m.

Utah has an absolutely horrible team this year and BYU showed their love for the Utes by giving them 7 beautifully wrapped Christmas gifts that allowed Utah fans to become silly braggarts about Utah's overrated football prowess. It's not likely the Utes will ever be in a BCS bowl again.

BYU has an utterly awful team this year and should really be 1-5 right now based upon their current football prowess. It's not likely BYU will ever be in a BCS bowl...period.

Fact is...it's difficult for both teams to recruit the type of blue chip players needed to compete with top tier programs.just aint gonna happen.

To witness the smack talk by fans of both programs is still very amusing and I hope they keep it up...they look silly and it makes for awesome entertainment.

The players from both schools, however, are probably really great kids who do their very best on the football field despite their reality challenged fans.

• JewishCougar Murray, UT
    Oct. 13, 2011 8:18 a.m.

Cougars, regardless of how much Utah struggles this year, they are still in a BCS league. That is more than we can say, which stings even more when Bronco goes public with his desire to have BCS access. I'd take a couple mediocre seasons in a BCS conference over a 8 or 9 win season against the WAC teams we are playing the last half of the year.
    I am afraid Utah only improves from here while we find ourselves just trying to keep our heads above water. I hope I am wrong...
    GO Cougs!

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Oct. 13, 2011 8:13 a.m.

You ride that 54-10 all the way to your 4-8 record and no bowl game. BYU will end up with a 9 or 10 wins including a bowl win. U will be lucky to be in a bowl within the next 3 years(BYU has Bowl invites for the next 3 years already). Something never before seen in the history of NCAA football. Sure the loss to Utah stung BYU but all the turnovers they got seemed to have multiplied. U are serving up a goodly portion to all your opponents now. So you just ride that single D1 win for the rest of the year; there just isn't anything else to hope for; is there?
    Last place in the worst division in all the BCS conferences. HAHAHAHAHA!

• USNGary West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 13, 2011 1:39 a.m.

uteology, what are you going to do with Pitt when you win them? Are you going to bring them home and put them on the mantle? Correct terminology should be "we will BEAT Pitt", not win them. When you win something you take possession. I don't think the NCAA will let you take possession of Pitt.

• mr. j Cottonwood Hts., Ut
    Oct. 13, 2011 12:36 a.m.

All utes wish the season was going better. But when badgered by Y fans on these boards all you need to say is a simple, '54-10.' Nothing matters but head to head. I'm not harping on ASU and Washington because that would just be silly.

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    Oct. 12, 2011 10:47 p.m.

Washington in 2008 was 0-12.

We'll be just fine. We just need to cut down the turnovers and Hays needs to step up. If that happens we'll win Pitt on Saturday.

Go Utes!!

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 12, 2011 10:33 p.m.

@ yankees 27

Weren't you the one you got all bent out of shape with references to the Utes playing in the PAC 10.2?
    I'll paraphrase...I believe you said it was getting old, was classless, and smacked of desperation.

So referring to BYU as a "mediocre mid-major" is trendy, a classy statement, and is an appropriate acknowledgment for a rival who has moved on?

Why not just refer to them as an independent? Isn't that the most accurate classification?

Seems that would be less hypocritical on your part.

• D'Anconia Providence, UT
    Oct. 12, 2011 9:17 p.m.

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, the AP caught on that Utah is struggling in the Pac-12!

Who tipped them off?

What are we going to do now that the cat is out of the bag?

Well at least DN gave us the heads up. Great journalism, as always, Deseret News!

• Hawkyo SYRACUSE, UT
    Oct. 12, 2011 9:11 p.m.

Don't get down Utes, Pitt stinks, you can probably beat them right?

• Old ball coach Sandy, UT
    Oct. 12, 2011 8:59 p.m.

For those who shot their mouth off earlier this summer, about Utah playing in the Rose Bowl, are now crashing down to earth.... I still do not think Utah will ever compete with USC in the south division....

All those games the fans use to watch, (air force, wyoming, Colorado state) where your beloved utes pulled out a come from behind win like 24-21 in last seconds, will never happen the the PAC-10.2....

By the way, have fun in the New Mexico Bowl....if your eligible!!!

Go Trojans!!!

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Oct. 12, 2011 8:15 p.m.

As posted earlier "I don't see anything changing until Utah plays Colorado and then someone has to lose that game." What I should have said is that "someone will have to win that game." Who will it be? Who is willing to win that one?

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 12, 2011 7:22 p.m.

I think byu is just so dang neat.

• El Chango Supremo Rexburg, ID
    Oct. 12, 2011 7:15 p.m.

Utah will be competitive in the Pac. They are a great program. ASU, Washington, Stanford, & Oregon are Up. Utah is down. They'll have their up years. They have a great coaching staff and they will be fine. This is coming from a BYU fan.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Oct. 12, 2011 7:08 p.m.

Glad Truth has enjoyed his bowl game this year, played on Sept 17th in Provo. I know that's all we'll hear about for an entire season (because there is no other bright spot). Utah achieved their #1 goal---beat BYU---and that, my friends, Crimson or Blue, has never changed.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Oct. 12, 2011 7:00 p.m.

---PAC 10.2 Doormat | 5:01 p.m. Oct. 12, 2011
    Springville, UT
    Anyone surprised?

You can put the Utes in a BCS conference but it doesn't remove the fact that they are a mediocre mid-major program that occassionally won conference championships in their previous conferences... in any sport except gymnastics.

Truth hurts and now the reality sinks in. It's going to be a while.---

So that makes BYU....really super bad losing to us mediocre mid major 54-10, the truth huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurts.

What time is is, 9:06 or 54 to 10.

Nice to see you with your confidence back after barely beating 2 WAC opponents. Build up that low self esteem and someday maybe you too will be able to play big boy football.

• Alaskan Ute Fairbanks, AK
    Oct. 12, 2011 6:47 p.m.

The fact that the AP is actually writing about Utah demonstrates relevance. BYU will continue to not only lose on the field, but lose any national interest (outside their fan-base). In ten years, the U will be relevant and BYU will be a independent mid-major struggling for recognition. The Big 12 was BYU's best hope, despite what some BYU fans say while looking through their blue-colored glasses, and the Big 12 bus has left the station with TCU. Future is bright for THE University of Utah.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Oct. 12, 2011 6:33 p.m.

Better to take our lumps and grow rather than be like BYU who gets fat and hsppy on WAC opponents and think they are good. BYU is just sad that way.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 12, 2011 6:13 p.m.

ESPN (BYU's "partner") Pac 12 power rankings
    3. Arizona State
    4. Washington
    5. USC

Utah lost to some pretty good teams. Utah and BYU are generally pretty even, so Ute fans hopes went through the roof after pasting BYU. Afterall, they had beaten an SEC team (their worst, turns out), and almost beat a Big 12 team (overhyped, turns out).

I don't think Ute fans expected to be undefeated in conference play so far, but certainly 1-2. A win looked possible against ASU after the first half. Still, looking forward to seeing more Pac'ers come to town instead of MWC teams.

• Portland Trail Blazers Sandy, UT
    Oct. 12, 2011 6:07 p.m.

Colorado is terrible, everyone knew that.

Utah is an overrated program, now everyone knows this.

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Oct. 12, 2011 5:58 p.m.

No surprise this year really. Had we been in the Pac a few years ago, it would have been a different story. So what? We're there and the Y still struggles to find someone to play with in a conference. We'll be fine. Things will work themselves out. Although there were a few fans who went way too overboard in their projections, most of us knew it would be a build up year. Things will get better, recruiting will improve, and the W's will come. I'm hoping all the naysayers have the guts to get back on here WHEN we do go to the Rose Bowl. It may be a few years or more, but again, so what? This is a mediocre team this year, but it must hurt that much more getting throttled at home by a mediocre mid major doesn't it?

• Pac 12 Fever Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 12, 2011 5:53 p.m.

re: Truth

really? I thought we were above that and looking to raise the bar. You sound lkike going 1-10 as long as we beat BYU is fine.

Not anymore. I want big boy football and to be successful. Your comment makes me ill.

• Buster Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 12, 2011 5:52 p.m.

BCS Bust.

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 12, 2011 5:20 p.m.

What a surprise.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 12, 2011 5:08 p.m.

Utah isn't struggling....they have had a banner season this year....beating BYU! Roses for Utes baby! 2-9 but we beat the Cougs~

• kstep15 Logan, UT
    Oct. 12, 2011 5:07 p.m.

Hope it gets worse. Leaving those Aggies off... not good...

• PAC 10.2 Doormat Springville, UT
    Oct. 12, 2011 5:01 p.m.

Anyone surprised?

Truth hurts and now the reality sinks in. It's going to be a while.