City excited Provo Tabernacle will become a temple; speed up downtown development

• Kevin Surrey, BC
    Oct. 7, 2011 2:34 p.m.

to: UVWhiteKnight | 6:14 p.m. Oct. 3, 2011

The Celestial Kingdom is no different than a temple. God will surely not allow everyone into HIS house who is not worthy. Every worthy person has full access to the most sacred of places on Earth.

The tabernacle served its purpose and now a more important purpose will be served, doing saving ordinances for those who can't do them on the other side.

The city of Provo should build a new facility for the public and not a private church who owns and built the original building.

• Kimmer PROVO, UT
    Oct. 7, 2011 9:28 a.m.

This morning I was thinking about the terrible loss of Matthew B. Brown. His research on the LDS temple has really made a difference in my life. Then, I reflected on the death of Hugh W. Nibley and how we've recently lost two of the greatest scholars on the temple. Then it hit me, the last time I was in the Provo Tabernacle was for Hugh Nibley's funeral. HOW COMPLETELY FITTING IT IS THAT THE TABERNACLE WERE HE WAS MEMORIALIZED WILL NOW BE A TEMPLE TO THE GOD ON HIGH. The celestial workings are undeniable.

Matt an Hugh, I miss you both, but am grateful for the legacies of scholarship you left behind.

• Ross Madison, AL
    Oct. 5, 2011 9:12 a.m.

The builders of the Provo Tabernacle were building a holy house to God, it is so fitting that a historical restoration of the exterior of the burned out tabernacle become a Holy Temple in downtown Provo. Everyone is invited to become worthy to attend the temple, which will have an uplifting influence on the area. How wonderful to finally have a Temple Square in Provo.

• Gosh-DUH Burlington, CT
    Oct. 5, 2011 5:29 a.m.

Wonder what the second Provo UT Temple will be named. Now temples are named for their city/state or city/country. Does anyone know for sure? maybe Provo Downtown UT Temple? then they could rename the first one Provo North UT Temple?

• Firepower SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 11:07 p.m.

I am greatful that the LDS church is going to save the Provo Tabernacle, and trun the building into a temple

• snowman Provo, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 10:45 p.m.

Allen#1: The Provo tabernacle was the oldest building in the entire state. It will be fully restored to the original beautiful building that it was and it will be a beautiful temple and the only one to look like that.

• The Professor Provo, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 6:48 p.m.

Just to clarify a point or two. There is no "main street" in Provo. There is Center Street( running east to west ) and University Avenue( running north to south) . The Provo Tabernacle is located at the corner of 100 South and University Ave. Having attended my college graduation from Utah Technical College at Provo and many other events including stake conferences, in the Tablernacle, I am very excited for it's new life.
    For those who say it will not be up-to-date or up-to-code you are sadly mistaken. Any remodeled or new structure must meet current building, mechanical, and electrical codes. As well the church always does everything first class and uses tne best of techology and all other things.

• Allen#1 West Valley, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 5:21 p.m.

Based on what I have read, there are NO plans to do an "extreme makeover" of the Provo Temple as is being done in Ogden. The Provo Temple is not located in an industrial, warehouse area.

In my opinion after looking at the proposed renovation, the "Provo Tabernacle Temple" is ugly and does not look like a temple.

Won't it cost $,$$$,$$$ more to build a safe new temple saving the unstable walls of the old tabernacle than to build an attractive, functional, up-to-code new temple?

The Logan Temple interior was gutted many years ago and the Logan Temple is not as functional as the Provo or Jordan River temples.

• CARL South Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 2:14 p.m.

The rebuilding of old Provo Temple requires three temples to take some load off without having to resort to Manti travels. The temple that is just off the BYU Campus will not start "Ogden Rebuilding" until both Payson and Downtown Provo temple are completed. I did not say that but it was the feelings from most of us in Utah.

• Chachi Charlottesville, VA
    Oct. 4, 2011 10:47 a.m.

Before 1917, there were two tabernacles on the block. Wouldn't it be great if the Church rebuilt the Old Provo Tabernacle to its historic appearance and opened it as a center for worship and community events?

P.S. to UVWhiteKnight: Why are you complaining about the sale of a fraction of a block to the LDS Church but not the sale of 100 West to NuSkin?

P.P.S. to Bluto: Raising something makes it higher, not lower. You mean "raze."

P.P.P.S. to Rational: Now Main Street will be on the way to somewhere: to a temple.

• zer28 Ogden, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 8:54 a.m.

UVWhiteKnight - "Public Property ought not be dispensed so easily..."

Let me remind you of what the article said: "Almost instantly (after the fire) I started getting texts and calls from people saying 'we have to save the tabernacle,'" the mayor said, though that decision ultimately rested with the building's owner, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

The tabernacle isn't public property. It's owned by the LDS church, and if they feel the need to turn it into a temple, they have every right to do so, the same right you have to turn your own home into a place or worship or business.

I believe most LDS faithful would agree that a new temple in Provo has been long needed. Along with the new temple in Payson, these two new temples will take a lot of pressure off of the Provo temple and allow more opportunities for members of the church to have easier access to temple blessings.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 8:23 a.m.

"Revitalizing" Provo's Main Street is NEVER going to happen. It isn't on the way TO or FROM anywhere. The key to real estate is, always has been, and always will be location, location, location. When I-15 bypassed Main Street and the University Mall was opened on the way to BYU and away from Main Street, downtown Provo's fate was sealed.

• Seronac Orem, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 8:21 a.m.

Yes, CG is right, "those who choose to be offended will always find something to offend them."

And, it's wonderful that the Church opened the doors of the Provo Tabernacle to the community for so many years, but unfortunate that now that they can no longer do that, people are offended. People should be grateful for the Church's generosity to begin with and then allow them to do with their property what they see best.

I also agree about the NuSkin building and the other items of modern or incompatible architecture that are being built. It's a shame that so much of current architecture is to bland and ugly. True beauty is no longer appreciated in this post-modern, deconstructionist world.

• ulvegaard Medical Lake, Washington
    Oct. 4, 2011 8:14 a.m.

It was nice to be able visit the Tabernacle and to enjoy community events there. However, the type of renovation it will take to save the building may not lend itself to continuing the same use as before. I'm grateful that the building will be saved.

When it comes to limited access to LDS temples. If I'm that desperate to go inside of a building, then I do what is necessary to qualify myself for admittance. The White House is the "People's House", and yet not everyone just walks in off of the street at will. There is protocol and applications for tours, but if I really want to go in, I do what is needed.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 6:43 a.m.

Provo City made a big mistake by not completely preserving their Historic Main Street as Park city did. Blending 19th and early 20th century architecture with the 21st Century, rarely works too well. There is still enough to be preserved, but a few things need to take place.

NuSkins building needs a new shell. Strip off the black glass and re-do with brick, stone and limited glass. Much as the Zions Bank building was re-done in SLC. However, use more natural materials than they used.

The Marriott needs a similiar overhaul. Stucko? C'mon now.

The Convention Center is fine, I suppose, as it is at least set back abit from Main Street, although old structures were still razed.

Save what is left, and develop some protocols in order to preserve Provo's Main Street charm.

Also, perhaps the Nuskin parking Garage can be raised and placed underground in conjunction with the new Temple parking. This area should be landscaped as well.

Ideally, it would be aesthetically more pleasing if the street just south of the Tabernacle was closed and conjoined with the block to the south to create large landscaped grounds (plaza). As it was originally.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 4, 2011 6:16 a.m.

Re: UVWhiteKnight | 6:14 p.m. Oct. 3, 2011
    "Provo Tabernacle will now proclaim on city's Main Street: Only Active Mormons Wanted"

That same false argument was made about the Main Street Plaza in Salt Lake City. In reality people of all faiths go there to enjoy the beauty and peace it provides.

Likewise Provo will benefit financially from the construction of this new temple. Property values will go up, and businesses will benefit from out of town visitors. It is a win-win for Prove and it's citizens.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 6:06 a.m.

Dear Collin Card: You are absolutely right. The NuSkin building does absolutely nothing for downtown Provo and was built using federal grants. It's ugly and is completely out of place there.

and...UVWhiteKnight: ANYONE can enter a Temple. All they have to do is live the standards, get a recomment and go. No one is excluded if they only choose the right path. CG is right. Anyone who chooses to be offended will always find a way to be offended. It is always based on personal choice.

• Ricardo Carvalho Provo, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 5:34 a.m.

UVWhiteKnight, I don't find that the smoke shop or bar suits the needs of 80 of Provo's citizenry. There are many people who don't enjoy the arts so the Covey Center is out. The bicycle shop does not cater to the needs of the disabled or infirm aged. Etc... It is ok to have multiple buildings, businesses that reach out to diverse populations in a downtown area. Not every part of a downtown will appeal to every citizen. While I understand you may have preferred the tabernacle to be open to all, it will still suit the needs of many and will do a great deal to enhance the vitality of downtown Provo. Your arguments come across more as a bitter jab against the majority than a well-reasoned argument against a "terrible" decision. I am a newcomer to town having lived in places where various peoples come together. I have been pleased to welcome the announcement of a new mosque as well as a new Hindu temple. I found joy in their happiness and could celebrate with my friends of different viewpoints. I wish the same for you.

• Schwa South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 4, 2011 5:14 a.m.

I noticed the artist drawing left the Nu Skin building out entirely.

• Collin Card Provo, Utah
    Oct. 4, 2011 12:02 a.m.

Now if only someone could buy the ugly NuSkin building that does not fit in in any way to the beautifully restored downtown and tear it down!

• CG Orem, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 11:19 p.m.

People who choose to be offended will always find something to offend them.

• Buzzards LEHI, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 10:48 p.m.

Ben H: I hate to break this to you, but Provo is not Ogden. Nothing against our friends in Weber county, but the demographics are different, the economies are different, need I go on?
    This will change downtown Provo in ways we cannot currently imagine.

• Oryssman FORT COLLINS, CO
    Oct. 3, 2011 10:38 p.m.

ChrisNSuz writes,

Orin Ryssman replies,

This is as ungracious a remark as I have heard and reflects a lack of appreciation for not just the original structure (a tabernacle for those of the LDS faith to meet) but for what the structure has become, a place for community events where all are allowed to attend. There are plenty of structures for the LDS to meet in and congregate yet few of the size or stature of the Provo Tabernacle that bring the community together, LDS and others.

• snowman Provo, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 10:29 p.m.

Thidder: Utah is an english only state

• parrothead orem, ut
    Oct. 3, 2011 8:53 p.m.

I'm estatic the LDS church is going to rebuild the Tabernacle to it's somewhat previous state, hopefully I can atleast see the inside before dedication. It's alot better than a NUSKIN building addition, but not as good as a place of worship that everyone can enter :}

• UVWhiteKnight PROVO, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 7:29 p.m.

Indeed, ChrisNSuz, I often open my home to strangers, most usually friends of friends, but nevertheless. Please just try to expand your minds narrow horizons, and see the loss of the Tabernacle as I do. The temple will be a beautiful building with nice, well kept grounds, I look forward to that, but it will not have the same flavor as before.

Another factor is that if this property was sold at below cost and without public notification(sentiment would have been overwhelming, but I digress), whoever signed off for it needs to be reprimanded or sacked if an elected official. Public Property ought not be dispensed so easily, though a history of Provo reads with multiple events of similar corruption( the Seven Peaks "Ski Resort", the sale of water rights to SL to buy a one term senator, etc).

Ben H, that is a interesting thought, any specific sources?

• bluecoug89 Highland, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 7:24 p.m.

I know that there are many people who think that this won't work and are worried about it. For those people I can assure you that the Lord's hand is in this and revelation was received by the prophet about it. If the Lord is in this, why worry?

• Ben H Clearfield, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 6:59 p.m.

After seeing how well this has worked for Ogden, I don't think that I would be too excited about the potential for development around the new temple. The church has stepped in and purchased the property around the temple and sold it for a loss, and in some cases, it still has not worked very well.

• ChrisNSuz Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 6:36 p.m.

So "UVWhiteKnight", if you don't mind, I would like to make sure that we can all still come over and use your house on Sunday to watch the football games and raid your fridge. You know you wouldn't want to be a hypocrite about this would you? Your home and property aren't just for the "right type" and an "exclusive club" for people who share your DNA. No? Well until I can prop my feet up on your coffee table and dominate your remote, why don't you mind your own business about what others do with their property,... hmmmm?

• UVWhiteKnight PROVO, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 6:14 p.m.

The Provo Tabernacle was a place where non-mormons, jack-mormons, ex-mormons, and active mormons were all welcome. Instead of that cultural breadth and unifying presence in the community, the Provo Tabernacle will now proclaim on city's Main Street: Only Active Mormons Wanted (In Provo, by association). A beautiful building that says look but don't touch, unless you are the "right" type, an exclusive club.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 6:02 p.m.

I'm just grateful they're saving the tabernacle and making it even better. It will also do a lot for downtown Provo just as Temples upgrade the area everywhere.

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 4:57 p.m.

re: ClarkKent

Yeah I'm sure the property next to the rundown travelodge motel and a dumpy restaurant is a hot commodity that so many people were after.

I'm glad the church is building a temple there and it will help all of downtown Provo a lot. There isn't much of a reason for most people to go there. In the future there will be.

• Thidder MAPLETON, UT
    Oct. 3, 2011 4:22 p.m.

This is great news. Just wondering, based on location, will this be a predominantly Spanish speaking temple? I sure hope so in behalf of all of us.

• ClarkKent Bountiful, Utah
    Oct. 3, 2011 3:19 p.m.

Is the City offering any other developers (other than the LDS church) property at below market rates in an attempt to speed up downtown development?