Utah

National science medalist from University of Utah credits freedom and opportunity in U.S. for his success

Comments

• Bigdude Twin Falls, ID
    Sept. 28, 2011 3:37 p.m.

Not to take away from this excellent accomplishment, but isn't the top science medal the Nobel Prize?

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Sept. 28, 2011 2:07 p.m.

Congrats to Dr. Stang.

What an enormous accomplishment. Something to be very proud of.

• JustGordon Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 28, 2011 12:14 p.m.

Scott, unfortunately, reality, aka grading...evaluation...is part of life.

Remember there is no try, only do and not do. Professor Stang has done, you only tried to do and were graded accordingly.

• Scott1 Quiet Neighborhood, UT
    Sept. 28, 2011 11:20 a.m.

Go ahead and be sad wwookie. I am proud of what I learned, I learned a boatload, and continue to do so. However, it was my good grades that in large part allowed me to go on to professional school.

Now that I make a good living and my back is not against the wall like many students it is even more enjoyable to read about different science topics including chemistry.

I really am not trying to diss Dr. Stang and my comment was said somewhat in jest. I truly congratulate him on quickly leaving Communist Hungary, moving to a new country, learning a difficult language, and excelling in chemistry. Unfortunately professors cannot simply teach, but are required to put a grade on each student creating a weeding-out process.

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Sept. 28, 2011 6:23 a.m.

Congrats to Dr. Stang. That's an accomplishment and he deserves recognition after all his contributions.

It's sad to see some students that don't value the knowledge they could tap from a guy like Dr. Stang. Too worried about grades.

• utahprincipal801 Sandy, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 10:25 p.m.

Lots of professors are much better researchers than teachers. Since they are rewarded for research more than their teaching, many make poor instructors to those not planning on making chemistry a career.

• Scott1 Quiet Neighborhood, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 10:17 p.m.

I think I avoided having him as my chemistry professor years ago so after busting my behind I could manage to get a good grade. It seems that some professors you can still manage a terrible grade after doing everything in your power (The U's chemistry professor Ragsdale comes to mind).

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 27, 2011 4:16 p.m.

The fruit of the tree of liberty is sweet, indeed. As a veteran of the Cold War in Europe, I relish the accomplishments and success of people like Prof. Stang.

Go Utes!