Sports

BYU football: Joe Sampson thriving for Cougars

Comments

• DodgerDoug Salem, UT
    Sept. 22, 2011 9:14 a.m.

We're glad to have you Joe! Keep laying on those nasty hits!!!

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 22, 2011 8:49 a.m.

Sampson comes with grit, tested talent and the heart needed. A refreshing story of a kid who will bring team work to the team not ME work like Heaps.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 22, 2011 8:45 a.m.

Might as well just congratulate UCF now on their victory.

Florida team full of athletese - we've seen what that means against byu

"athletic" mobile quarterback - we've seen what that means against byu

UCF - one of the best defenses in the nation

byu - one of the worst offenses in the nation

byu can't score more than 1 offensive TD per game

UCF 31
    byu 10

Go UCF!

• Blue Chelan56 Chelan, WA
    Sept. 21, 2011 8:50 p.m.

I was surprise at our Field Corners comment re: UCF'S LACK OF OFFENSE. Our field corners d-play has been very suspect todate, and teams are targeting that position when they are 3rd and long with way to much success. Perhaps we will see Sampson moving over to cover hard and play the ball, rather than giving an automatic completion .

• JayDogg Orem, UT
    Sept. 21, 2011 7:30 p.m.

I have specifically watched Sampson when he's in the game, and I honestly think that he should be the starter at boundary corner. His technique is way beter than Hadley's, although Hadley is a better over-all athelete. However, Joe "The Sampsonite" makes up for it with smarts, and he has laid some pretty nasty hits so far. Keep it up Joe! Glad you're here at BYU!

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    Sept. 21, 2011 5:36 p.m.

Actually, nobody is really "thriving" for the Cougars right now.

• dustman Nampa, ID
    Sept. 21, 2011 5:24 p.m.

I got my undergrad at BYU and my law degree from the U, and I honestly love both programs. Urban Meyer is a big reason for it, as well as Bronco. I'm pretty critical of BYU though, because I wasn them to succeed.

The U has a good thing going and its fun to watch.

@ Chris B, dude, why are you so angry all the time?

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Sept. 21, 2011 4:33 p.m.

Great story about Joe. I'm glad that he's here and we have been looking for guys like him and Preston Hadley at the corner spot for a long time. They may not be as fast as Utah's "NFL" corners this year, but we finally have 2 legitimate Division 1 cornerbacks for a change.

Go Cougs!

• IDC Boise, ID
    Sept. 21, 2011 4:27 p.m.

Good to see a young man do so well and hold true to his plans. Great to have him on the team.

• Victor Layton, UT
    Sept. 21, 2011 4:21 p.m.

Sampson is 5'10" by BYU roster measurements not 6'0". He is a beast though!

• Festus riverton, utah
    Sept. 21, 2011 3:55 p.m.

Welcome, Joe. I am glad you're here and hope your experience in Provo will be the best.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 21, 2011 3:47 p.m.

The 4 or 5 other athletes on byu's team must all be thinking:

"What was I thinking in coming to byu"

Sitting the bench for a real team has got to be better than being part of this train wreck.

1-2

Again.

soon to be 1-4

Again.

Lost to Utah.

Again.

Will lose to Utah State

Again.

Will get destroyed by Florida School filled with athletes

Again

I feel bad for Sampson and the 4 other athletes on the team. They should have known however.