Sports

BYU report card: BYU pulverized at home in rivalry game

Comments

• afro14 Sandy, UT
    Sept. 20, 2011 12:45 a.m.

@ Hawkyo

"COugars have bad history against second-string QB's you should know that. And the Cheap shots were coming from Utah players more than BYU. (Hence the Unsportsmanlike conduct penalty against the U)"

Oh my friend. Where do I start? First, that "second-string QB" out played your vaunted #1 QB recruit and led his team to victory while putting up some very good numbers even though he only had to play for three quarters.

Second, I don't know what game you were watching, but the final penalty numbers tell the story. Utah had three penalties for 24 yards, BYU had 8 penalties for 70 yards and repeatedly interfered with the Utah receivers to compensate for their inability to properly play defense. Also, the cougar defense dodged a bullet when Travis Uale put a blatantly illegal helmet to helmet hit on Devonte Christopher which, for some reason, the official 6 yards behind could not see. (Luckily, the hit is being reviewed by the NCAA and will probably result in Uale being suspended) Had that penalty been called, Utah would have moved to within the 10 yard line, scored, and won by even more than they did.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Sept. 19, 2011 3:58 p.m.

Gotta be honest with you....

I was raised as a teenager in Utah. My whole family is still there; everyone but me. I love Utah and consider it my home.

However....it's getting tougher and tougher to cheer for the Univeristy of Utah when they play THEIR games. It's not that I don't like the school, I actually went there as a freshman. I just don't like a HUGE chunk of their fans. I don't think I'll shed many tears the next time Utah gets lit up by someone else and slinks back to Salt Latke City in the dead of night to avoid being seen.

Oh sure, Ute fans will get on here and claim that will "never" happen but it's only a matter of time that it will. These things happen in sports occasionally and any honest fan knows it.

So tell me, Ute fans, is it really only BYU fans who are arrogant?

GO COUGARS!

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 1:43 p.m.

my observations from the game.
    1- even with a bum shoulder Wynn is a superior quarterback who knows how to win.
    2- BYU's defense gave up, flat out gave up, like they didn't care what was happening around them.
    3- Riley Nelson at least cared about what happened when he fumbled the ball.
    4- Riley needs a much larger helmet and wouldn't be playing in Logan either.
    5- Utah's coaches were much better. To say it isn't the coaches fault that BYU had 7 turnover's is wrong, they weren't prepared for the physicality of the game and weren't conditioned well enough.
    6- Heaps is as good as he will get. He is unreal in practice, his own teammates say it, but he definitely does not have the "it" factor and is not a winner.
    7- USU will definitely beat BYU for the second year in a row. Heaps should get with his PR agent to find out when that last happened!

• Eliot Santaquin, UT
    Sept. 19, 2011 12:29 p.m.

ESPN = exposure = exposed

• BayAreaCougFan Pleasanton, CA
    Sept. 19, 2011 10:40 a.m.

Umm, this article states 6 Turnovers for 17 points. What? First of all, there were 7 turnovers. Secondly, that turned into 33 points for the Utes. Maybe thats why you didnt give everyone a failing gradeyou didnt realize how bad this loss was.

Devastating way to lose for the Cougars, but we will bounce back.

• BigCougFan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 8:39 p.m.

I've been watching BYU for decades.. and this was the worst game I can remember. I'd give an F to every element.

• rogerdodger Logan, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 6:37 p.m.

How is that ESPN exposure working out? great for Utah. thanks

• goinfishn Orem, Utah
    Sept. 18, 2011 6:02 p.m.

The fish are bitting at Strawberry. A little time spent at the fishn whole will make thing a lot better.
    BYU will be back the only question is when.
    Go Cougars!

• v4Brad Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 5:34 p.m.

Chris, are you afraid to give out F's? The game was total failure. Total. That's an F in my book. I sure hope this is the low point of the season. If not it's going to be a long, long road to Hawaii.

• Hawkyo SYRACUSE, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 3:34 p.m.

Rock of the marne, you are sadly mistaken. No one cheered when wynn went down. COugars have bad history against second-string QB's you should know that. And the Cheap shots were coming from Utah players more than BYU. (Hence the Unsportsmanlike conduct penalty against the U) BYU played lousy, but not dirty. You are grasping at straws looking for a way to kick the cougars while they're down. Why can't you just enjoy the victory? How can you have anything to complain about? Because, my friend you have built a fire so hot for BYU that it burns yourself. Let go of the hate, man. Bask in the win, because you won't get gifts like this again this year.

• Hawkyo SYRACUSE, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 3:15 p.m.

The only thin BYU's offense seems capable of executing is themselves. Heaps needs to realize that there is no NFL if you can't hack it at the collegiate level. John Walsh thought he could do it, and nobody even knows who I'm talking about right now. Enough said.

• GilmerTexasCougar Gilmer, TX
    Sept. 18, 2011 3:02 p.m.

The grades were much too generous. Coaches get a C??? Nonsense, coaching was terrible. BYU's offense (?) stinks. Let's paraphrase a song from The Sound of Music. "How do you handle (instead of "Maria," start substituting words like Doman, Heaps, special teams, offensive line, running backs, Bronco, etc.) If last night was not the time to bring in Larks I don't guess the time will ever come. Heaps just can't hit receivers to keep drives going. They don't even try the big, strong running backs. This was the worst performance by at least a fairly good team I have seen. It was a total embarrassment. It is time to go back to the drawing board. Especially Bronco and Doman need some major soul searching.

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    Sept. 18, 2011 2:59 p.m.

@Dave S

...Has anyone seen Jimmer? ...

He was last seen leaving LES at beginning of Q4.

• Mountain Cat Oceanside, CA
    Sept. 18, 2011 2:53 p.m.

It looked like Jake had no protection. Wyn, by contrast had scads of time to survey the field.

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    Sept. 18, 2011 2:32 p.m.

As per Eddie The reason I am not a U fan all the way is their fans. Having lived in Oklahoma and loving OU and going to games and seeing how OU fans treat OSU fans and Texas fans was very civil. Having been to BYU games with the U, I have to say, that the U has some of the worst fans I have ever seen.
    Um Eddie, last night during the first half I saw some of the most unsportsmanlike conduct on part of the Y players and fans that I had ever witnessed in a game. There were countless cheap shots by Y player including helmet to helmet hits, tackles from behind etc.. It seemed as if they Y players wanted to injure the Utah players and when they got a big hit they would talk trash to no end. Then, lets talk about the Y fans. The moment I thought was pathetic beyond belief was when Wynn was lying injured on the field and Y fans were screaming for joy; low class at its finest.
    Oh I enjoy Y fan self-righteousness and hypocrisy.

• UU702 Layton, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 12:34 p.m.

Right now UTAH is tougher, faster, and better coached. It isn't close. I was in the vistors section last night and the y fans were obviously beaten down but I didn't see a single negative incident, at least from my perspective. That's a credit to both sides.

• lordandrew1 Provo, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 12:27 p.m.

Give special teams a C, but the defense a D-? Were we even watching the same game? The BYU defense is what kept the game within reach for so long--despite our kick return team's (the blocking, not Hoffman) best efforts to give our offense the ball on our own 12-yard-line every single time.

The defense did cave in for the 4th quarter, but with the way our offense and special teams were playing, you can't really blame them for losing hope like that.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 12:26 p.m.

Phone calls continued:

The member schools have changed slightly but with the Y and Eastern Vermont State as cornerstones the New Big 12 will be right up there with the Big Sky in a few short years.

Four and five star recruits calling: Offensive players wanting to play for Norm Chow - when told he did coach there a while back -hung up. Defensive players wanting to play for Coach Whit and Coach Sitake did the same when told they did play there a few years ago. No return numbers were provided.

A. Rich Sadusee: Offering $10 to anyone who will buy (or keep) their Idaho, Idaho State, San Jose State, or New Mexico tickers. But wait if you commit within the next 2 weeks hell include Utah State, and UCF.

D. Rose: Is independence worth it?

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 12:23 p.m.

Just moments after Utahs last score the Ys phones were ringing.

ESPN calling: What a game. Great shots of Jimmer (as the Utes got Jimmered!) and how quaint the Y defense lining up on the sideline and being sent in by Bronco. Couldnt tell at the end of the game if eleven went in. And we tried to filter the deer in the headlights look. Anyway, we made a win/win decision. The remaining ESPN games will be Tuesdays in the 3AM to 6AM slot. Great for ESPN scheduling and the hundred of million Chinese Y fans can see it live.

Big 12 conference calling: First keep telling the one about no recruit has ever said the PAC-12 thing was important. Only try to not look down and away. Keep the pulse rate constant. And dont show sweaty palms. But that one really cracks me up every time I hear it. Also weve heard you have been telling football/basketball recruits in a year or two the Y will be in the Big 12. Heres your invitation.

• blazefan01 TAYLORSVILLE, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 11:21 a.m.

I hope the BYU Head Coach fierd the D coordinator.... nevermind its the same guy.

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    Sept. 18, 2011 11:05 a.m.

Chris, you were too generous.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 10:24 a.m.

Utah has some very civil fans Big 12 Eddie. I sat with several Utah fans last night in fact my son brought his girlfriend who comes from a long line of Ute lovers.

So, I guess you need to hang with better friends. Sorry you had such a bad experience with Utah fans.

Cougars you live by the hype and you die by the Heaps, nuff said.

At least Bronco said it was his fault for putting this lame team on the field last night.

That is stepping up and taking one for the team and he should this Independent swagger talk and preseason " perfect execution " lingo is a faint memory and

• niners SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 9:54 a.m.

Pulverized is an understatement

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    Sept. 18, 2011 9:51 a.m.

This is also what's wrong with public and most private education. Inflated grades. What would the Cougars had to have done to earn an F? Simply not show up for the game at all?

• UtahMan4evr Sandy, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 9:31 a.m.

Because I'm a Ute fan, you Y-fans can take this with a grain of salt. I agree with CCPedersen that Heaps looks scared when pass rushed. It seemed to me that on his second fumble, he dropped the ball intentionally to avoid the hit. He started walking off the field before the referee had even signaled Utah ball. Heaps may have some talent, but he's totally lacking in heart. Wynn may not be a great, or at times a good quaterback, but he has more courage. Utah delivered a major drubbing, but the sun will continue to rise and fall and with the Y's weak schedule, will still win a few games.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 9:30 a.m.

I doubt BYU will ever overcome this loss. This team is gutless and is out manned. Bronco isn't head coaching material and his assistants are worse. Bronco's low key seminary teacher style of coaching isn't effective and he has proven time and time again he is unable to hire competent assistants. Doman is way over his head and its embarrassing. Heaps is actually a really good QB but in this system with this pathetic running game - or lack thereof - I seriously doubt Steve Young in his prime could move the football. The O-line is just plain awful and it is a stark reminder of the recruiting woes the Y continues to have. BYU has nothing to offer recruits other than they get to play at a school with a nice honor code but there is no bowl game hopes ..other than the armed forces bowl (HA, what a joke). Going independent was a big risk - last chance - hail marry for BYU football and so far its been a disaster. Right now I see BYU losing BIG to Utah State and TCU as well as falling to an awful Oregon State team too. No bowls this year!!

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    Sept. 18, 2011 8:33 a.m.

When will BYU guys realize like the rest of the college football world that your just an average team. You beat Ole Miss in the first and all you guys were writing about how you beat an SE team and then how you were gonna win the next 3. UMMM Ole Miss was rolled by Vanderbilt . . Vandy! Credibility is lost.

• cedarpost Washington, Utah
    Sept. 18, 2011 8:04 a.m.

@ midmajor.. jake heaps is a good qb that will play in the nfl, good one haha. love it

• watchfuleye Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 7:50 a.m.

So sorry to see spectators leaving early from the Y. It almost broke my heart. I knew during the week when the article about "higher mission" came out that we were in trouble. Not that I don't agree but maybe we should have been focusing on the mission at hand. 54-10, I am embarrassed.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 7:24 a.m.

Congrats to the U for the win! My cougs did not play at all. I do like to see the U win, just not when they play us. The reason I am not a U fan all the way is their fans. Having lived in Oklahoma and loving OU and going to games and seeing how OU fans treat OSU fans and Texas fans was very civil. Having been to BYU games with the U, I have to say, that the U has some of the worst fans I have ever seen. I miss Big 12 football and the way the fans treat each other.

• East Coast Coug BELMONT, MA
    Sept. 18, 2011 5:01 a.m.

The D cannot be on the field so long in every game and remain effective. The issue on O is Doman. You could argue that Heaps has been rushed to the starter role unlike the QB greats of the past but the talent on the BYU team is good enough to score more than one TD per game.

Agree with comments about execution--how can coaches not drill their runners on holding onto the ball? By my observations, Utah is the strongest of the team BYU has faced this year and earned this victory--Cougars were out-coached and out-played. Utah will win alot of games in the PAC; it is going to be a long season for the Blue.

• Dave S Holladay, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 2:51 a.m.

Has anyone seen Jimmer?

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Sept. 18, 2011 2:48 a.m.

This one hurts. I can't think of a worse performance by a BYU team, since maybe the whacking Texas A&M put on them in the Holiday Bowl. But Detmer had two separated shoulders.

Can't blame 7 turnovers on the coaching. One of those days.

This win will launch the Utes. BYU is not as bad as this, and Utah probably is not a good as this, but Norm is a real OC and Doman is ... not. Yet. Probably need to sit Heaps down and try to win a game with someone else. The kid could get ruined by more of this.

I wonder how many games ESPN will cancel. BYUtv here we come. We need to find someplace to hide.

We'll find out how good Utah is next week against Washington, who got smoked by Nebraska, but at least scored.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 1:50 a.m.

If Heaps hasn't lost this team, I'd be shocked.

- Quit on the INT at Mississippi State
    - Didn't fall on the bad snap in the end zone to start the game.
    - Plays scared.
    - 3 TD's in 3 games.
    - Worst of all, talks big. People have patience with humble people. Keep your mouth shut and humble up, Heaps, from now until you graduate. "Show me, don't tell me."

• CCPedersen Fairfield, CA
    Sept. 18, 2011 1:10 a.m.

A "C" for the coaches? Again, Doman's failure to be able to recognize a situation was glaring. (With 22 seconds and the ball at BYU's own 15 yard line, you take a knee and go in at halftime. Doman didn't realize that Utah had only 2 TO's so couldn't stop the clock). It didn't end up costing any points, but it just emphasized--again--that Doman doesn't assess/think quickly enough at this point. Still, his play calling was better than against Texas. Unfortunately, it appears that Heaps is all talk, no walk. He looks scared when there is a pass rush. His arm could save him on many occasions, but he simply isn't very accurate. When you combine that with poor decision-making, you don't have a good QB. Why Lark didn't play late instead of Nelson is another mystery.
    When, according to ESPN's sideline reporter, the only sound on the BYU bench was that of helmets being slammed, where was Bronco to ream out/encourage the players? He sat there looking pensive/bored. He completely lost control of his team when the chips were down. Sad.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Sept. 18, 2011 12:32 a.m.

Bronco just found out what happens to people who diss the Pharisees & Saducees. Bad karma.

Sure, the bigger picture is what it's all about, BUT to lose a laugher to your in-state rival? Because of a vanilla defense against a weak QB, and a rookie play-caller going up against a life-long experienced play-caller?

What a joke!

I'm no longer predicting 50-50 for the next two games. More like BYU will be LUCKY to win those home games.

Can't wait for Idaho State and Idaho to come to town. Two best win options left on the schedule. Maybe.

They say when you're down as far as you can go, there's only one way left to go, and that's up.

HOWEVER, the sad thing is going up from THIS loss requires going WAY up to be able to beat UCF at home, which I'm not confident BYU can do.

BYU very likely won't qualify for its scheduled bowl game. If it does, it'll be barely.

Sour grapes? No, just VERY disappointed in the COACHES. The players weren't prepared, and the coaching was atrocious.

Talk about laying an egg!

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    Sept. 18, 2011 12:28 a.m.

To be kind, BYU was described as much better than they played tonight repeatedly by ESPN commentators who must shudder with dread about their contract with BYU -- and the huge egg laid by a BYU squad that desperately needed to establish itself.

I found it incredible that the Cougar's vaunted offensive line stunk up the stadium so badly. I have to think that coaching had something to do with the failure to prepare the team . . . but a HUGE dose of blame has to be placed on the shoulders of Bro. Heaps and his amateurish mishandling of the poor snap that was really the unraveling of the Cougars out of the box.

Give Utah all the credit in the world for forcing fumbles, but BYU ball handlers have got to be incredibly embarrassed for their butter fingers. The muffed kick-off return was the knife to the heart . . .and then the nightmare kept getting worse . . . and worse . . . and worse. . . and worse. . . etc.

• MidMajor4ever Syracuse, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 12:27 a.m.

Tough loss for BYU. Observations from this Utah fan:

1. Bronco is a great coach, you shouldn't get down on him. Doman is a young talent that might be in a little over his head right now but will develop into a great OC.

2. You need a Harvey Unga type running back. This would help Doman and the offense keep defenses honest.

3. Jake Heaps is a good QB that will play in the NFL. A good running back would make a huge difference.

4. Get Doman up in the booth so he can make adjustments.

5. D-Line word down to early. Utah has 8 D-Linemen that get rotated so they stay fresh. Y needs to do the same.

Good luck Cougars!

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Sept. 18, 2011 12:03 a.m.

Just An. Obseravation - byu players were way too excited early on - it was obvious all their celebrating each tackle and completion would wear then down by the second half.

...and there were too many cheap shots by byu - chop blocks, the helmet to helmet hit, tackling the ute demfenders from behind multiple times. The byu rep hasn't changed.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Sept. 18, 2011 12:01 a.m.

Heaps over-throws far too often. Yes, I know he's only a sophomore but he overthrows his receiver too often. Receivers can't catch it if they can't touch it.

Why do we insist on setting up the pass with the run? I'd do the opposite. LaVell made BYU THE premier passing team in the nation for decades. EVERYBODY knew BYU threw the ball, and we won doing it. Why do we not do that now? I don't believe for a second our receivers don't have the talent required to do this. So what if Jake Heaps is still green at times. Throw the ball 40-45 times a game and let him find enough rythm and confidence it will carry over from week to week.

We lack the swagger on offense our greatest teams had. Didn't matter if we were down by 10 in the middle of the 4th quarter. Everyone in the stands KNEW that if we had the ball it was going to end up a TD. Period. We were going to beat you. It wasn't a matter of "if", it was only a question of "how".

We (largely) self-destructed and the Utes capitalized.

Keep swinging, Cougars!

• bigutefan Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 17, 2011 11:59 p.m.

I just wonder if Bronco is now convinced that the better team won this year? That comment he made in regards to last years loss was perfect bulletin board material and motivation for the Utes.

Apo is a talented player.

One has to question the coaching. Hiring an offensive coordinator that has never been an offensive coordinator might not be the brightest idea. Bronco really just wants to be the defensive coordinator.

Thanks to those Provo fans who will have the decency to say congrats. I always try to do that, when it goes the other way, and then I return to back to form, ha!

Finally, there is always next year for the Provo fans, but Utah is really young, very few seniors and some really talented freshman.

Attention Troy Hinds.......its okay to change your mind buddy!

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 17, 2011 11:51 p.m.

Pretty generous grading. If that kind of performance isn't worthy of an F grade all around, then I don't know what is.

I wonder what Bronco is going to pull out of his sports psychology hat to help the team recover from this one.

What is it about BYU and 2nd halves? Is there a conditioning problem here, coach?

• chubbuckidahocougfan Chubbuck, Idaho
    Sept. 17, 2011 11:50 p.m.

Wow D-News. Isn't the D a tad bit gracious for the Offensive and Defensive units. And the coaching stafff deserving a C? They deserve an F for lack of preparedness, lack of focus on ball security, total predictable offense-one dimensional. Broncos defense was almost just as bad. Totally exposed d-line getting their clock creamed by the O-line of Utah. Secondary got gashed. Looks like they gave up! Never thought I'd see the day when I would see a beatdown of this magnitude. I'm still sitting in awe after watching this train wreck we call BYU football.

• just-a-fan Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 17, 2011 11:49 p.m.

Love the Cougs, but F for this game. Pathetic.

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    Sept. 17, 2011 11:38 p.m.

Where are all the comments? Flatline!

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    Sept. 17, 2011 11:37 p.m.

Coaching: C?

Are you serious?

Offense coaching: F. Total failure. I will admit that Utah D is the toughest D that BYU has faced so far. But BYU offense is horrible. Worse than Montana St.

Defense coaching: F. Terrible job by Bronco. Montana St defended Utah better than BYU today.

• idaho cougar fan Twin Falls, ID
    Sept. 17, 2011 11:34 p.m.

D- for defense is way to low. They quit to send a message to the offense, the message is "we can't carry you all year, get your act together NOW!!!"