Sports

BYU football: Hebron 'Loni' Fangupo finds good fit after sudden transfer

Comments

• Spitvalve Denton, TX
    Sept. 9, 2011 8:04 a.m.

Was the editor out to lunch when this went to press? The grammatical errors are driving me crazy.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 11:29 p.m.

Tom in LA, I wish you wouldn't make score predictions. It's not that I'm necessarily superstitious (well, no more so than the average fan), but of all the games on the schedule, this one scares me the most: 100,000 hostile fans in an iconic setting with the Texas mystique, playing a team stocked with the best amateur athletes that money can buy, and can we really know what kind of performance we are going to get from the offense?

Personally, I am not counting on the Cougars winning at all: I don't think that's negative, because prior to the Ole Miss game I felt pretty sure of a victory. I welcome surprise; I was in Jack Murphy Stadium for the 1980 Holiday Bowl with 4 1/2 minutes left I was sure my team was going to continue its streak of no bowl victories.

So I will watch every minute of this game, and hope for the best. If we lose, my life will continue. But the easiest way to make a fool of myself is to predict who will win, other than predicting the score.

• Mountainman56 Alpine, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 8:20 p.m.

CougFaninTX

Have a great time at the game. We'll be looking for you in the sea of Orange!

• staypuffinpc Provo, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 8:13 p.m.

I'm as hopeful as any for coug success, but I have to say that I wasn't overly impressed by the secondary last week. Once Ole Miss switched QBs and weren't afraid of throwing it anymore, they had a lot more success through the air. We also got lucky that the Ole Miss receivers dropped a few gimmes, one of them comng ithe endzone with our secmdary two yards behind him. Texas is really going to provide a challenge in that area.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 8, 2011 7:33 p.m.

@UU32;

Max Hall wasn't toltally correct. There are some ute fans with class.

• DC Alexandria, VA
    Sept. 8, 2011 6:53 p.m.

This dudes arm is bigger than my leg. And I'm no small fry.

• El Chango Supremo Rexburg, ID
    Sept. 8, 2011 6:46 p.m.

UU32...

Thanks! I'd bet there are plenty of excellent guys on Utah's team as well!

Our hearts go out to the young man on Utah's team who lost his wife recently.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Sept. 8, 2011 6:07 p.m.

I can't wait for Saturday. This is one of the two or three (depending on the bowl) games I'll get to see in person in Texas. Unfortunately, I got tickets in the Texas section, but they were much better seats and I wanted to be front and center. I may be the only speck of blue in the sea of orange, but I'll be cheering as if I were 1,000 fans. Can't wait to watch Loni take Gilbert to the turf.

There is no way the Longhorns put up 30 points against the Cougar D. And I'm still not convinced the Cougar offense is clicking yet. I expect the score to look a lot like Ole Miss. Let's go with 17 - 14. Go Cougs!

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    Sept. 8, 2011 4:54 p.m.

Re: QBU

HUH?

• QBU OREM, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 4:31 p.m.

@crowntown1
    You know, you're probably right, because being the OBSESSIVE troll that you are, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see you break into his house. Most likely to ask for an autograph that you could hang next to your twilight poster

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 2:05 p.m.

Good comments, but, can't someone at D-News read the piece before publishing. Some ridiculous errors.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Sept. 8, 2011 1:48 p.m.

I believe "preceded" the move to Provo was intended, not "precluded". Preclude means to prevent, etc.

• logicalfallacy Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 8, 2011 1:17 p.m.

I'm thinking that it made have been an overzealous BYU booster that broke into his apartment that night? Think about it; what BYU coaches and recruiters couldn't do in years was done in 5 seconds. The power of women. I think we're on to something......

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Sept. 8, 2011 1:11 p.m.

The Cougar defense is rock solid. Good times ahead for BYU. If we can get the center to snap the ball so Heaps doesn't have to wait for it in the shotgun, we'll have it made.

BYU 31
    Texas 17

• MJB Tooele, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 1:02 p.m.

To representblue: One game at a time! We don't need to look ahead.

• Hoosier87 American Fork, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 12:52 p.m.

I love this kid!

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 12:27 p.m.

Fangupo is a beast! The Ole Miss O-line was considered to be one of the best in the country and Fangupo was blowing it up on almost every play. The D-line is going to have a big year if Fuga, Manu and Fangupo can all stay healthy. I can't wait to see what this defense is going to do to Utah's offense! Jordan Wynn is going to be running for his life down in Provo next week!

• Just Wondering... Gilbert, AZ
    Sept. 8, 2011 12:24 p.m.

Come on crowntown1...you're really trying to compare Provo, UT to South Central LA? Really? He said that he was looking for somewhere safer to live...not looking for a "crime-free" zone. I think even a Ute fan might agree that Provo is safer by comparison to S. Central.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 12:23 p.m.

It is stories like this one that make it impossible for me as a Utah fan to hate my brothers in Provo. How can you cheer against a guy like that? Good luck to Loni and the Cougs this week in Austin.

• COUGARNATE Lyman, WY
    Sept. 8, 2011 12:16 p.m.

Yes there is crime everywhere, but there is a lot less crime in utah than there is in California Crowntown1.

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    Sept. 8, 2011 11:45 a.m.

Good Luck Hebron but people break in apartments in Provo Utah too. Crime doesn't have a zip code.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 11:13 a.m.

We are extremely happy to have you at BYU Mr. Fangupo. I hope you have a fantastic game against UT Saturday.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Sept. 8, 2011 11:07 a.m.

"Football is still important, but my wife is my life now. I know that she knows what is best for me."
    ===

The lame thing about being married?

It's true...