Sports

BYU, Utah Utes, USU football: 5 things we learned from the first weekend of college football

Comments

• Kosta Fesenko Chicken McNuggetville, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 7:50 a.m.

@trucoug1

there is a big difference between driving down the field against a pourous ole miss team and a manti te'o led defense, but I doubt you will see it. Thats not the point. The point is that you are trying to sidetrack the discussion. Your point about Wynn is moot. I have cracked on Jordan for that slide many times. You are trying to argue with me over something that we agree on, and then you are trying to tell me we disagree. foolish.

Jake Heaps let his team down. plain and simple. just admit it.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Sept. 7, 2011 7:47 a.m.

@ Classless Ute Fan,

Supposition is one thing (your interception scenario), but simply sitting on the ball is another, which is what Anae did. Who knows what would have happened had he not, but one thing is for sure, what he did gave BYU no chance of winning the game. I believe that was key in letting him go.

BYU outplayed the Utes, so should have won.

Historically, the close games makes it seem like home field has no advantage, but there is a little, the 10% I alluded to. I think it's more likely the teams have been similar in strength those years, enough to offset the home field advantage. I don't see them that similar this year.

I'm sticking by my prediction that the Utes won't win unless BYU sucks at Texas and the Utes shine at USC. Both of those scenarios are quite unlikely.

I believe the key is Wynn's arm. It didn't look like it was back to form, and I think that's not something you can fix quickly.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Sept. 7, 2011 7:38 a.m.

@ Classless Ute Fan,

Statistically, BYU outplayed the Utes. Should have won.

• Classless Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 1:47 a.m.

WhatsInItForMe,

***BYU only lost to Utah last year AT the Ute's place because of bad decisions near the end of the game by Anae. That won't happen again this year.***

That is one theory but may be incorrect. What if Anae had told Hypes to throw a touchdown and then Brian Blechen or Brandon Burton intercepts the ball? Or what if Sealver Siliga sacked Hypes and it caused a fumble or took them out of field goal range? Would you then blame the game on Anae saying that BYU could have won the game if they had just kicked a field goal? You see, you DON'T know what could/would have happened. You can only speculate and that is all you have. What if....?

And again, as I previously stated, the location of the Utah-BYU game doesn't really matter as much as other games. I've seen it where the home team lost 4 consecutive years. I've also seen both teams win 4 consecutive games. So, the BYU-UTAH game is normally an exciting game.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Sept. 7, 2011 12:05 a.m.

@KostaFesenko "How can you crack on Wynn and say nothing of Heaps?"

Lol, I could ask you the same question...you're dogging on Heaps and saying nothing of Jordan Wynn. The guy didn't have the heart to take a hit to get a first down against Notre Dame.

At least Heaps made up for it by driving his team down the field and getting the only offensive TD of the game against Ole Miss, putting them in a position to ultimately win the game.

Wynn didn't even score a TD in the Notre Dame game...all he did was get sacked four times and cry like a little girl :)

Go Cougars!

• nunya sacramento, ca
    Sept. 6, 2011 8:01 p.m.

agree about heaps and what he did to avoid...how pathetic.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 6, 2011 6:02 p.m.

Haha. Wow. You got it figured out for sure. Are you on the Cougs' coaching staff? Cuz you seem to have their offense figured out better than they do. And you seem to have watched a different second half than I did, because the second half I saw had that corner #4 shutting down Apo all day and finally made one bad inside move that left him open for the touchdown, which looked like about the only well-thrown ball I saw all day from either team.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Sept. 6, 2011 5:20 p.m.

@ beaverfootball#1,

I hope you're correct about a previous game not being an indicator of the next. But, sometimes attitude just isn't enough. Bad execution and head games can be buggers to correct in just a week's time.

We can always hope, though.

@ StGtoSLC,

If you think BYU's offense from last year is equal to it this year, you're sadly mistaken. It's much better, and showed so in the 2nd half of the Ole Miss game. And, Jake won't make that interception mistake again.

So, therefore, I figure!

Also, I believe Wynn has issues that'll get exposed against USC, and he won't recover from those shortcomings in time for the BYU game.

For example, his throwing arm obviosly isn't back to strength, and that's not something that's correctable in a week or two.

BYU's defense has shown it can easily stop a one-dimensional offense, which the Utes currently have with Wynn a non-threat.

• Kosta Fesenko Chicken McNuggetville, UT
    Sept. 6, 2011 3:15 p.m.

@truecoug1

how can you sit there with a straight face and say that? "Poor guy just didn't have the heart to take one for the team?" go watch the replay. Your boy Heaps was just as soft on the play. He made NO effort to stop the returner. None. He let his teammates down. How can you crack on Wynn and say nothing of Heaps? You are either extremely insecure, or you are way too drunk on blue kool aid. either way, get real.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Sept. 6, 2011 2:30 p.m.

@Kosta Fesenko "Jake Heaps is so soft. I have never seen a football play pull a more soft move then he did by avoiding the Ole Miss defender on the interception."

I dunno, Jordan Wynn's dive 3 yds short of the 1st down mark last year against Notre Dame is still number one in my book. Poor guy just didn't have the heart to take one for the team.

Also, for those of you dogging on Jake Heaps, he had a QB rating of 90 in the 1st half, which is horrible, and 170 in the 2nd half, which is terrific. To put that into perspective, Andrew Luck's QB rating last year was 170.

We'll see how the rest of the year plays out, but I'd say Heaps is on the right track.

Go Cougars!

• backwardsbob West Valley, utah
    Sept. 6, 2011 2:19 p.m.

Jake Heaps is a product of his environment, all nurture and no nature. He has learned how to play QB from tons of exposure to the position (camps, playing time, best high school, invites etc). He has learned the definition of "HYPE" from experiencing it. The problem is none of his skills are natural. When things get tough in a game and his mind gets a little cloudy, he won't be able to fall back on his god given talent. Just another overrated QB.

To be fair to BYU, Jordan Wynn is even worse. There are Utah High School quarterback's that could step in right now and play better. Case in point...Wynn rolls out, no one on him so he has clear vision, he has a wide open receiver streaking down field, he doesn't see him so he tries to dump it off to a wide open five yard route but under throw's it...incomplete pass.

Sad day for Utah with both Utah and BYU using hyped QB's from out of state when we have talent here in Utah.

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Sept. 6, 2011 1:38 p.m.

Kosta Fesenko,

I agree. It's the sign of a quitter, or maybe arrogance.

He held a press conference for himself after all, to announce his decision to play for BYU.

Jake Hypes is a joke. He has a cocky attitude.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 6, 2011 10:42 a.m.

"BYU's offense will be improved this year while Utah's seems to have digressed. AND, the fact that BYU's inept play-calling by Anae last year cost BYU that game at Utah."

How do you figure? Scoring 7 points against the reigning dead-last red zone scoring defense does not seem to be an improvement. I would much rather take an offense that scores 24 points in the first 18 minutes then sits on a comfortable lead. And there is no mathematical formula, whoever shows up with their chinstraps buckled on ready to play will likely win. We won't know that until gameday, this Saturday has nothing to do with it.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Sept. 6, 2011 10:26 a.m.

Re Heaps: I was at the game and Heaps was on the field after the game slapping palms with the fans along the rail. He admitted that the pick was his fault (it was, too. He did not look off the defenders, but it would have been six instead of a pic-six had he done so. Watching the game yesterday, I could see what I could not see live: the BYU defense completely dominated Ole Miss. They did complete a few passes, but could not run and had only one drive. Still only resulted in a FG.

Doman was struggling to get plays into the huddle in time, the shotgun snaps were weird floaters, and everything looked like ... well, first game.

But BYU dominated all aspects of the game except scoring and the defense is not slow, it was awesome. We'll see if they improve this week.

Re Heaps: he should be seen and not heard for a while.

• beaverfootball#1 Beaver, Utah
    Sept. 6, 2011 10:04 a.m.

BYU kick some butt saturday! "WhatsInItForMe" it does not matter if you win or lose the game before. that game would be in the past. even if BYU lost that would make them mad and they would work even harder the next week to take it to Utah. the week before doesnt mean a single thing

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Sept. 6, 2011 9:56 a.m.

@ Classless Ute Fan,

The 50-50 is based on it being a BYU home game (just 10% of that 50%) and the fact that BYU's offense will be improved this year while Utah's seems to have digressed. AND, the fact that BYU's inept play-calling by Anae last year cost BYU that game at Utah.

Now, if BYU gets blown out by Texas and Utah has an easy win at USC (both unlikely), then I'd give Utah a 70-30 nod in Provo.

My "assumptions" are simply a fan hoping for the best for his team, while trying to stay grounded in my hopes. Kind of like any fan of any team, right?

• Kosta Fesenko Chicken McNuggetville, UT
    Sept. 6, 2011 9:48 a.m.

Jake Heaps is so soft. I have never seen a football play pull a more soft move then he did by avoiding the Ole Miss defender on the interception. Good grief. HOpe you got a good back up. youll need it when heaps is out on teh first series against Utah.

• Jordan Lynchburg, VA
    Sept. 6, 2011 8:57 a.m.

Wanna assume something? Let's assume that two games are typically unrelated with separate outcomes (not counting injuries and the like). There are so many different factors and outliers for every game that there pretty much can't be a connection between games. If Weber St. were to beat USU, can we then deduce that they should be able to beat Auburn? Sorry folks, that's just not how it works! Either way, go Utes, improve greatly on last week and get away with a win at USC!

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Sept. 6, 2011 7:18 a.m.

So now that we all know that one game can decide if a team is a good (finds a way to win) team or one game decides if they are a bad team (finds a way to lose)I am thankful that the Aggies are the better team since they found a way to pound byu last year and byu found a way to get thumped. People can spin sports any way they want and that is what makes talking about them so great, we all think we are right. GO AGGIES, GO UTES, GO LONGHORNS!

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Sept. 6, 2011 6:21 a.m.

This is the great thing about sports......we all think we are right. To get on here and go back and forth is always a good time. When the y and Aggies play no matter who wins or loses the losing teams fan base will whine like no other saying they are the still the better team, while the winning teams fan base will just say scoreboard and laugh for another year. I do however think it's crazy that after 1 win or 1 loss that any fan of any team can come one here and say their team is a good team because they won that 1 game, and another team is a bad team because of 1 game they lost. Let's wait and see how the season unfolds and take it from there. But once the Aggies and Utes beat byu.........then we will all know who the good teams and bad team are...... : )

• Aggie24 Hyde Park, UT
    Sept. 6, 2011 1:50 a.m.

Everything ya need to know in one sentence:

"Bottom line: BYU and Utah won their games, USU did not, even though the Aggies played the game of their lives, and BYU and Utah had mediocre games."

Wow.

• Classless Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Sept. 6, 2011 12:48 a.m.

WhatsInItForMe,

***You're assuming that if BYU loses to Texas it's by a blowout. I'm assuming it's a closer loss. And, I'm assuming Utah's win over USC won't be by much. Keep in mind who's playing WHERE for those games, as well as the BYU-Utah game. THOSE are all factors in my assessment. THAT's the logic.***

Actually, YOU'RE assuming that is what he's assuming. You're the one doing all of the assuming it seems. I'm still wondering how you assume that it's 50-50 if BYU loses to Texas and Utah wins IN LA against USC but it will be a blow out if BYU wins and Utah loses? Are you saying that Texas is that much better than USC? That's hard to determine, but I doubt Texas is that much better, if at all.

You're also assuming that location of the UTAH-BYU game will help determine the outcome. It hasn't seemed to matter in the last 10+ years of play, so I doubt that it will have a large factor this year.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 11:56 p.m.

@Sports Nutz

You said "Also, byu didn't score easily on the team that was dead last in the FBS in scoring defense between the 20's last year."

You then said "Bottom line not one team is the same."

I'm glad you made that point, since I'm pretty sure that if a team can go from 90th in the country in total offense last season (USU) to racking up 400+ yds against Auburn in the first game this year, than Ole Miss' defense can also vastly improve from where they were last year.

Good teams DO find ways to win. Bad teams find ways to lose.

I'm pulling for the Aggies to get better and be a solid program, and they're heading in the right direction.

But they have yet to turn that corner that will take them from an 0-1 team to a 1-0 team.

Still waiting for that happen :)

Go Cougars!

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 10:59 p.m.

toosmart, You say Auburn and byu aren't the same teams as they were last year, but Utah and Utah State are? It is awesome to know that there is someone that can decide this for every team. The fact that you think you know this is quite comical to say the least. Bottom line not one team is the same. You say byu is better, well we will see in a few weeks. Anyone who thinks USU is the same team as last year has no concept of football. The Aggies are much improved this year and it will play out during the season, not just one game. As for heaps, he is just that. GO AGGIES, GO UTES, GO LONGHORNS.......

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 10:37 p.m.

You're still missing the logic! The result of the BYU-Utah game is inconsequential to either of the other games. And the game will be just as big to both teams and fans of both teams regardless of the outcome of either of this weekend's games.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 10:34 p.m.

@ Sports Nutz

Yes, you might be right, but Auburn isn't the team they were last year, are they? (Neither is Oregon, we found out, when they played LSU.)

I happen to think that Utah is the same team they were last year and so is Utah State. So I look for Utah to have a tough slog ahead and USU to kins, well, win about 5 or 6 games, like they seem to always do. I don't see USU winning in Provo----it might happen, just like they might beat Auburn this year, too. BYU is definitely a better team than last year. Whether or not that means anything remains to be seen, but they made the breaks when they needed them on saturday and they played for 60 minutes, winning the game.

Rag on Heaps all you want. In the end that'll make you feel better, I'm sure.

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 10:33 p.m.

GoodGuyGary,

Take a look at the Cougar's schedule.

I totally agree with the article. It's about time someone in the media tells us something we all need. All teams have something to improve on, but let's just take it one game at a time and not get a big head about anything.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Sept. 5, 2011 10:30 p.m.

@ panamadesnews,

Any Ute or BYU fan who doesn't like to see a matchup of undefeated BYU and Utah teams is just a troll. They don't count.

Real fans from either school would much rather see undefeated teams playing for something. The national interest would certainly be much higher after those teams beat storied BCS programs.

I suspect we'll see one of the scenarios where one or both have lost this weekend's games. Sure hope not.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Sept. 5, 2011 10:26 p.m.

@ Rock Of The Marne - 7:29 pm Sept. 5,

Your assessment, on the other hand, shows little thought or logic---just being a BYU-hater and Ute-lover, is all.

After this weekend, we'll both know a few things, right? THEN we can make better assessments of what we think will happen. Until then, suppositions rule!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 10:06 p.m.

Gary, I agree with part of your comment; Bad teams find a way to lose (Mississippi).

But Mont. St. a high school team? That would make Idaho St. A Junior High team, and guess who found them to play this year?

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Sept. 5, 2011 8:56 p.m.

@ Student | 5:24 p.m. Sept. 5, 2011
    _____

Dude, do you reeeeally think the Tribune isn't biased?

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 8:47 p.m.

WhatsinitForMe: Depends on which team's fan you are referring to. A Utah fan would prefer #3. A BYU fan would prefer a different scenario. The truth is in the eye of the beholder.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Sept. 5, 2011 8:39 p.m.

Pebbles
    For once I have to agree with you...but just don't lump us all in the same boat with each other... there's a lot of stupid that can't be fixed on your side of the fence as well.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 8:31 p.m.

You are right toosmart, the Aggies lost on the road to the defending National Champs and byu beat the door mat of the SEC. The Aggies will walk into provo and thump byu just like last year in Logan. Heaps is the next Ben Olson and will not even be the best QB on the field when they play the Aggies.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Sept. 5, 2011 8:29 p.m.

@Carnak

Wasn't the intent to be classless...my apologies...if anyone observing the game had any class to be posting on here they wouldn't have taken the assinine route that your fishing buddy did. Those injuries came accidently from good clean solid hits from a well tuned defense...and just like winning or losing...they're every bit part of the game. You may have not seen it that way when you read my post...admittedly...because i was purposefully vague since I directed them specifically to him... but that was my underlying intent. Reread the fisherman's two postings and Osgrath's rebuttal to him before mine and then try to tell me that those are two real classy postings.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 8:11 p.m.

@ Nostra...

USU showed the most "choke." During the on-side kick the USU players looked at the ball like it was a U.F.O. and witnessed it being grabbed out of the sky by an Auburn player. Oops!

BYU, on the other hand, while playing poorly on offense, played the entire 60 minutes. I agree they were fortunate to win but they did make the breaks they needed when they were needed. Why the Ol Miss quarterback just didn't run into the end zone for a safety is a mystery. These players have been playing the game for years and they make some interesting blunders.

Contrasting BYU-USU: Which team won (which is the object of the contest, in case you forgot) and which team lost (and thus settled for a "moral victory")?

Utah's defense was as "lucky" as they were good. You'll never convince anyone that a blocked punt that was achieved by an up-side-down rusher being blocked into the air and making contact with the ball with his foot involved anything but luck. It helped the Utes and they took advantage, which is another object of the game (take advantage of your opportunities).

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 8:01 p.m.

@ Where's Stockton ??? | 6:30 p.m. Sept. 5, 2011
    Bowling Green, OH

BYU's defense looked good last Saturday against a one dimensional offense(can run but can not pass). However, the boasting about Mississippi players being injured by that defense is classless. You may want to re think that one.

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    Sept. 5, 2011 7:29 p.m.

I love Y fan illogic. As per "WhatsInItForME" BYU beats Texas and Utah loses to USC. That means BYU will clobber the Utes. BYU loses to Texas and Utah beats USC. That means it'll be a close game: 50-50 who wins in Provo" That makes no sense what so ever but I am not surprised as logic and Y fans go together like oil and water. News flash, if the Y loses to Texas they'll at best be at the level of Rice who gave Texas a game. After that inept offensive showing by Hypes ("I compare myself with Drew Breeze") I don't think Utah is worried at all as bad as Utah played last year they were still better than Sir Hypes playing at his self proclaimed best. Yeah, BYU is a real offensive powerhouse, too funny.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 7:15 p.m.

I agree that Auburn scored pretty easily, but so did USU. Also, byu didn't score easily on the team that was dead last in the FBS in scoring defense between the 20's last year. So USU might not be able to slow down byu, but I think byu will have all kinds of trouble trying to stop the Aggies. Plus I think byu will be coming off of losses to Texas and the Utes. Either way it should be an entertaining game.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Sept. 5, 2011 7:12 p.m.

The BYU-Utah game has the following possibilities:

1. BYU beats Texas and Utah beats USC. That makes the game REALLY interesting. Nationally, even. Especially with it being on ESPN.

2. BYU beats Texas and Utah loses to USC. That means BYU will clobber the Utes.

3. BYU loses to Texas and Utah beats USC. That means it'll be a close game: 50-50 who wins in Provo.

4. BYU loses to Texas and Utah loses to USC. That would make the matchup a bit of a dud. Only in-state rivaly chest-pounding could ensue by the trolls of the winning team.

We all know which scenario will be the most fun for September 17th!

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Sept. 5, 2011 7:05 p.m.

USU has road games against BYU, Fresno State, and Hawaii, all teams they could lose to. Their near-win at Auburn either showed they are for real, or that Auburn took them lightly and took awhile to wake up. Hard to say, although USU showed they have playmakers. Not sure about their defense, though.

Guess we'll find out in time, but I'd be happy if USU ended up with a 10-2 record (losing only to Auburn and BYU). The schedule's easy enough, other than the teams I've mentioned.

I don't see USU beating BYU in Provo, not after last season's embarassing loss and not after seeing how easily Auburn scored against USU. BYU's defense is enormously better than the last time these two met. That'll be the equalizer.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 6:34 p.m.

GGGary,

Byu a good team? Did you actually watch even one minute of the game? Ole Miss is horrible and the y beat them by 1 point. Yes, USU lost but they are going in the right direction and Andersen has things cooking in Logan. The best part is we will find out who is the better team in just a few weeks. GO AGGIES, GO UTES, GO WILDCATS (except this week)

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Sept. 5, 2011 6:30 p.m.

@gonefishin...dahhhhhhhh right... the Ole Miss running backs injured themselves...BYU's defense had nothing to do with it...Actually it was the weather... it was too cool and not humid enough for Ole Miss.

Typical fisherman...always some excuse when he gets skunked...and the usual big one got away.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 6:00 p.m.

gonefishn, you made your point the first time. Feel free to maintain your opinion - it's a free country, after all.

Bear in mind, the past does not necessarily equal the present. The UW win was not the same thing as the Ole Miss win at all. In Oxford the Cougars beat in yardage, time of possession, even points produced by the offense as opposed to the defense. Their inability to finish was puzzling, but there was no doubt in the second half that the offense could produce. The defense was good enough to win the game and shut down the Rebel running game.

Jake played his first game as a sophomore. He was absolutely rusty and rough. But we certain ought not to judge the rest of the year by one performance. Let's see how he does against Texas - no predictions here, but I will defer making up my mind about him for a while.

• gonefishn Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 5:36 p.m.

Jake Heaps is the best qb in BYU history, The Y has never had a qb of his inteligence, integrity and focus, he will certainly lead BYU to a National Championship and if you don't believe me on these points just ask him.

• DC Alexandria, VA
    Sept. 5, 2011 5:31 p.m.

Completely agree about Heaps. Let him show us why he should be the next great BYU QB. Right now there has been way too much hype and no actions to back it up. Sure, he might have been the best QB coming out of camp, but camp/practice is much different than a real game. If Doman/Heaps can't figure out a way to get it done against Texas, BYU may just have another good QB for non-BCS defenses (every BCS team on their schedule except Oregon State, who is just plain bad this year).

At least this year. I do believe Heaps will improve each year.

• gonefishn Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 5:28 p.m.

Ole Miss is a door mat and they were slowed down by their RB's injury not the Cougar D. This win is similar to the UW win a couple years ago, narrow victory on the road against a team that might not win a game.
    As ar as Jake Heaps goes he is the greatest qb and leader of all time, just ask him.

• Student Logan, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 5:24 p.m.

Wow, this article is totally biased. It's clear The Deseret News is owned by Bonneville International. It's just one of the many reasons I get my news from The Salt Lake Tribune.

• Nostradamus Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 5:11 p.m.

Utah State showed the most heart and played wonderful on Saturday. Hopefully they can continue to play better week to week.

BYU was very fortunate to win...and it wasn't the offense that showed well - the Defense was really good.

Utah had some bright spots - the defense was tremendous - but as I have said before, the offense cannot be built around "protecting Wynn at all costs" - and right now that is what it looked like. Jordan has the potential...I hope we get to see it. White was awesome!

• Basement Dweller Prather, CA
    Sept. 5, 2011 4:28 p.m.

I'm thinking of sending my copy of "Air Bud, The Golden Receiver" to Wynn. If the two of them could team up then I may get to have a coming out of the basement party!

• GoodGuyGary Houston, TX
    Sept. 5, 2011 4:27 p.m.

After the first week action of the 3 Utah college teams, I conclude:
    1) Good team will find a way to win, e.g. BYU.
    2) Bad team will find a way to lose, e.g. USU.
    3) Worst team will find a high school team to play, e.g. utah.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Sept. 5, 2011 3:07 p.m.

I agree with what he said about the Jake Heaps hype. I love Jake Heaps and I'm glad he's our QB but he's got a lot to prove, especially this Saturday against Texas. If he prepares really hard and plays smart, he has a chance to get a special win on Saturday.