Utah Utes football: Utah doesn't complicate things in blowout win

• Fahrvergnugen Provo, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 4:35 p.m.

I need neither your approval nor your conceited concession. As it were, I am a Ute fan. I hope that makes you feel better. As for my "ridiculous attempt to try to prove [you] wrong", don't look too far away from the mirror, my redundant friend. I was merely showing that I could jump to conclusions along with you, ad nauseum. Have a nice day and let's both put our focus to cheering for the Utes next week.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 4:18 p.m.

Fahrvergnugen -

Just because you were a student at the U and stood within the Muss in 2004 does not make you a current U fan.
    I have a close friend that couldn't help but get swept away in the BCS mania that year and he is a die-hard Cougar at heart and most years and most games he would rather see the U lose.
    You yourself have yet to say in any of your posts that you are a Ute fan. And more particularly I'd like to see you say you're a Ute fan more than you're a Cougar fan.
    Go ahead, do that and I'll concede your silly argument. I'll probably still figure you're lying based on your other posts that give you away, but I'll concede nonetheless.
    But I'll certainly hold you to it on all future comments.
    What a ridiculous attempt to try to prove someone wrong. You have zero credibility after that.

• Fahrvergnugen Provo, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 3:36 p.m.

You're laughable, you know that? I guess being critical of the Utes' play and making fun of people like you in the process qualifies me as a Y fan? As much as you can guarantee that Norm Chow is holding back until next week, I can guarantee to you that I cheered for the Utes in person when Alex Smith took the Utes to a 12-0 record in 2004. Okay now I'm going to make a blind stab at you...I noticed most of your comments have only one like. Liking your own comments doesn't make your argument any more valid.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 3:04 p.m.

Fahrvergnugen -

Nice try dude...a very pathetic attempt at trying to get one to assume you are a Ute fan. Your other posts completely give you away.
    Seriously, pretending your someone you're not in a post is as weak as it gets.
    That kind of desperation just digs a larger hole while handing Ute fans a shovel to bury you with.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 2:56 p.m.

truecoug1 -

When in all of this comment thread did I not accept the Utes have serious work to do?

I'll say it one more time...read this as slowly as you need to read it;

I'm only saying that Norm Chow didn't show his entire hand last night. That's all. Got it?

You guys spin to the left and the right of conversations so much it's ridiculous.

If this helps you and a few others to hear as well; yes I'm worried about USC next week. And yes, regardless of whether Norm Chow was holding a few cards out of play last night I still think Utah should've done better.

Not what I was ever talking about but if that's what you guys need to hear then okay.

Googaly moogaly.

• Not So Good Farmington, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 2:36 p.m.

Re: SoCalUtahFan

If I was a Ute fan, I'd be more than a little worried after last night's performance. And we all know if the tables were turned and if it were BYU that played that kind of game against an FCS school at home, Ute fans and trolls alike would be the quickest and the loudest to proclaim a long season of failure for the team down south.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 2:32 p.m.

ASU has a big game next week against #21 Missouri. Mississippi State has a huge game next week at #20 Auburn.

Yet their 'conservative' play ahead of playing those big opponents yielded the Sun Devils a 48-14 beat down of FCS UC Davis and the Bulldogs a 59-14 win over FBS Memphis.

Good teams either play 'conservatively' and still blow out their opponents, or they don't care about opening up their playbook and letting their opponent see them because they know they still beat them.

Either way, the Utes are in trouble.

Let's face it, motorbike, you're the one in denial right now. MSU scored twice on your 1st string defense and drove down to the Utah 25 twice on that D in the second half before your D finally manned up.

They have a lot to work on...just accept that, and move on :)

Go Cougars!

• Fahrvergnugen Provo, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 2:00 p.m.

brluthi is correct. He made the comment about your assumption that all of us are Cougar fans, and I don't know about him, but when I attended the U, I went to every game as part of the MUSS. Just because someone lives in Provo does not make them a Cougar fan. A sensible fan knows when his team has played poorly and will admit it. You can guarantee whatever you would like about Chow holding back, but until I see it next week, I'll stick with being frustrated along with Coach Whittingham and Wynn with the poor execution.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 1:36 p.m.

brluthi -

Wow, I'm the only Ute fan claiming the Utes were holding back? Dude, you are amazing.
    There are all sorts of people from the TV to the radio to the comment boards that have talked about Utah holding back.
    I'll say it for about the 50th time, I'm NOT saying Utah looked great last night...that has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation.
    But I GUARANTEE Chow held some back last night and if you don't believe that then you won't be needing me or Whittingham to teach you football. You can start with your local PeeWee league.
    And don't insult anyone's intelligence by pretending you may not be a Cougar fan. That was awesome. Proving all my points for me.

• brluthi Provo, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 12:45 p.m.

I believe the thick one here is the only Ute fan who claims the Utes were holding back. Go read the comments on other stories about the game. You're virtually the only one, buddy. You've made a number of assumptions that seems to surpass not only us "typical Coug fans'" understanding (which is another assumption, because none of us have mentioned being BYU fans), but also the understanding of your fellow Ute fans. If Coach Whittingham's spot ever opens up, I'll make sure to put in a good word for you. Hopefully you'll be able to coach us all in Football 101.

Oh, and while we're talking about offense to the beat of ice cream, I hope to see their rocky road offense against USC. That's probably the one that doesn't let their QB get sacked twice.

• Glenn A. Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 12:44 p.m.

Come on, Cougar fans. Your team is only a few years removed from needing a big fourth quarter to stave off your own FCS opponent (Northern Iowa). You know how it feels when your team doesn't play "knock-your-socks-off" excellent during game one against an inferior team.

I, like many fellow Ute fans, was not necessarily pleased with the game in its entirety. The first half had its moments, but the second half was simply awful. Obviously, much improvement needs to be made, but the doomsday scenarios being thrown around are perfect examples of how fans and media often overreact from game to game.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 12:14 p.m.

brluthi -

You guys are all thick. Of course the coaches and players all said what they said...what do you expect they would say?
    That has absolutely nothing to do with what I talked about above.
    Typical Coug fan denial syndrome.
    I'm done trying to help you guys with football 101.
    Start worrying about Mississippi.

• JDL Magna, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 12:12 p.m.

Wynn was sacked 3 times if you count the hard hit in the back and the ball rolling out of bounds

• brluthi Provo, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 11:51 a.m.

Maybe this will help you: "Chow, the former BYU assistant who joined Utah's staff after a UCLA stint, added that he was 'a little bit disappointed we didn't do better than we did' in the season-opener. He credited his players for playing hard, but Chow was less than pleased with fumbled center exchanges and an offside penalty in a third-and-1 situation.

That is also how Wynn sees it.

'We had a good start,' said the junior, who had two first-quarter touchdown tosses. 'But we just didn't finish. Somewhere in the game, we lost rhythm as an offense.'

You've got some conspiracy going on with Chow and Wynn. They must have had to memorize those statements so they didn't slip and tell everyone they were just holding their cards.

Furthermore, if you watched the game, you probably would've noticed one of the announcers saying how important it is for Utah to win and win big against Montana State if they want to prove themselves as a BCS-worthy team. I guess Norm Chow is less concerned about that than the USC game. Makes sense.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 10:54 a.m.

truecoug1 - Fahrvergnugen - 3grandslams

Kyle doesn't call the plays. Of course Kyle's going to say he's not happy with the offense - because it wasn't great!
    But at the end of the day Norm Chow is in charge of the Offense. What you're each oblivious to is that NORM (not Kyle) most likely didn't feel a need to risk much when quickly leading 24-0. We can argue whether that's wise, but that's not what my comments have been about.
    truecoug1, do you know how silly your continued argument is about Utah not showing all their cards? I won't even bother addressing that further, you don't seem to get it.
    You're only argument is starters playing the entire game. Not entirely true since Utah's system rotates their 2-deep all game, but I'll give you that.
    Do I think they should've done better? Yes. The point is it's hard to expect much when you're running your vanilla offense and holding your cards.
    Lastly, comparing Montana State to other FCS teams that were destroyed is ridiculous. They're ranked 5th. Ask VTech about James Madison last year - Proof the best of the FCS can compete with the big boys.
    What else you got?

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 9:16 a.m.

wow, can't believe this guy wrote this article without even watching the game.
    1) it was no blowout
    2) Didn't J White have 150 yards on his 19 carries?
    3) Wynn didn't overthrow his receiver, it was slightly underthrown and got tipped the last second by a defender. It actually was a pretty good pass and needed to be thrown slightly further.

Utah defense will have to step up even more. The D looked fast and hit good. Not a lot of missed tackles.
    And give credit to Montana State. They have a good offense.

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Sept. 2, 2011 9:15 a.m.

No naive fans a win against montana state doesn't put them anywhere but in alphabetical order in the conference..... just look at the standings to see for yourself! I really hope you weren't serious with your comments the one I saw and anyone else who thinks this 24-0 route in the first half and 10-3 loss in the second did anything to the pac12 standings....

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    Sept. 2, 2011 9:06 a.m.

Let me think....

1) Was the final a W for Utes?

2) Was the game ever in doubt in the 2nd half?

...and yet Cougars jumped up and down thinking the sky is falling for Utes --as they wish.

The sky is not falling.

The sky is still the limit for Utes.

• hohum Saint George, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 9:04 a.m.

Don't worry because the u will hold back against USC so that byu doesn't have film on them. At what point in the season will they play at full speed and not worry about the next game. Every game they loose will because they held back.

I think all of the posters here should believe their coach when he said they played poorly and may not win a game in the pac 10. Stop trying to make excuses for the game. I remember seeing some posts of 47-0, 45-3 total domination by the u. So it didn't happen. I don't see too many people saying that Montana was a good team, the best in the lower division. If that were the case, that makes u a pretty good subdivision team.

I wouldn't guarntee a y loss, no predictions here. Any given day!!

The only ones assured of not loosing are those that don't play.

• RaininTime Orem, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 7:49 a.m.

@Smack. Now that's just plain funny. I laughed aloud.

Anyway, I taped the game and what I saw was a very conservative offense. I also saw a very good run game, especially when it counted. The Ute defense was dominant, but gave up too many yards on the ground, especially early.

USC's QB will be 10 times better than the MT. St. QB who has a very slow release and showed where he wanted to go with the ball all 30 times he passed.

For a first game, against a vastly inferior team, Utah was about a C- and I am confident their coaches would agree.

The good news is the greatest improvement a team will make is between the first and second game and Whit and Chow will have film on what needs to be improved with 8 days to prepare for the Trojans.

• Fahrvergnugen Provo, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 7:38 a.m.

I would believe you that its smart coaching, except Whittingham ripped into his offense, saying they played poorly. I doubt he turned around and told Wynn, "hey I was just kidding, buddy, we've got USC in the bad now!" Nice try though.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Sept. 2, 2011 6:45 a.m.

Get real, just admit its a bad headline. Your head coach is completley dissapointed with the overall effort of the offense. The more you spin the worse you look. Save yourself, follow the lead of your head coach. Enough of the red-koolaid approach.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 6:43 a.m.

For those that actually watched the game or Sports Center, the game looked smart. A blow-out in the first couple of quarters then conservative play trying things out like a practice. The game was never in question.
    But, I have two concerns...
    #1 It is not like Whit to play like your performing for next week's game instead of looking at the game in hand.
    #2 How did Wynn get sacked twice?

Perhaps Utah doesn't have to play for the polls anymore. Just win games in the conference and smell roses.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Sept. 2, 2011 6:33 a.m.

This is great. Utah fans trying to defend a lame headline. I love it. Rich entertainment.

Keep posting utes! It shows your true colors.

Hey by the way, Whitt is completely dissapointed in the offensive effort. He wouldn't be saying that if they were trying to play it close to the vest. AND if they were and they can't execute the simple plays, then the team is in big time trouble when they "open it up!!"

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 5:36 a.m.

At least we don't have a headline that reads, "Cougars get spanked by Rebels down south".

That headline is coming Saturday night.

• showmeyatd's Pleasant View, Utah
    Sept. 2, 2011 2:04 a.m.

The Utes looked good early but it seemed the game began to come harder for Wynn. If he can't make a two yard dump pass to his RB then what throws will he be able to make? I laughed out loud when the ball rolled to White III's shoes. Despite the problems the Utes D line looked monstrous. Star is a giant out there. Did you see how he threw the player to the turf like a rag doll. I'm excited for the 17th.

BYU's turn to get a W

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Sept. 2, 2011 12:33 a.m.

@motorbike "It's called smart coaching. ie: Utah coming out in the hurry up offense in the Sugar Bowl and shocking Alabama"

Yes, since I'm sure Utah was 'playing conservative and not opening the playbook' all year long in anticipation of playing Alabama.

(roll my eyes)

It's one thing to implement new wrinkles into your base offense...that's smart coaching. It's another thing entirely when you're implementing a new offensive system and you supposedly don't open your playbook against an FCS opponent.

Isn't that a perfect time to get your offense comfortable with the new system in a real game scenario?

I also find it interesting that, although Utah was supposedly being 'conservative' Kyle played his starters on both sides of the ball for the entire game. If you're concerned about the health of your players/QB, just pull an ASU and go up by 40, then pull your starters in the 3rd QTR.

The most telling comments of all, however, were from Kyle himself, who said nothing about Utah playing 'conservatively' against MSU. He DID say that the passing game was horrible and if they played like that, they wouldn't win a game in the PAC 12.

• nunya sacramento, ca
    Sept. 2, 2011 12:18 a.m.

did you just say blow out win? hahahahahaha, funny!

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 11:40 p.m.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 11:39 p.m.

VERY sure.

Does that mean I think Utah will win or that every surprise Chow pulls out will work? Not necessarily. But I'm VERY sure they held back tonight.

Yes I still have some concerns. But none of us will know much until next week, we can only speculate.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 11:33 p.m.

truecoug1 - there are very few coaches on any level that when about to play a powerhouse would not use the element of surprise to some extent if able. It's called smart coaching. ie: Utah coming out in the hurry up offense in the Sugar Bowl and shocking Alabama. Are you telling all of us that was a dumb idea? I'm glad Whittingham doesn't take notes from you.

• Smack Jefferson City, MO
    Sept. 1, 2011 11:01 p.m.

Yeah, SoCalTrueBlue, I'm definitely detecting some jealousy.

But don't worry, BYU will be #1 in its own one-team conference all year!

(Actually, I'm hoping BYU wins every game they play--except for one. Go UTES!)

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:55 p.m.

"where you're not showing all your cards due to USC the following week..."

How sure are you about that?

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:51 p.m.

If you're a good team, who cares if you show 'all' your cards to USC?

To me, saying the Utes were 'playing conservative so that USC has no film on them' is saying you're scared of USC and have no confidence you can beat them, so you have to try to hide your playbook.

Pretty lame excuse.

Utah Utes should watch ASU...the Sun Devils are showing how a PAC 12 team is supposed to play against an FCS team.

Go Cougars!

• SoCalTrueBlue San Diego, CA
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:45 p.m.

Total yards - 292 to 258
    First downs - 16 to 12
    Sorry, Ute fans, but that was no blowout.

• Smack Jefferson City, MO
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:18 p.m.

You guys are just jealous that the win put the Utes at #1 in the Pac-12 South!

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:14 p.m.

uhhmm, when you're out to a 24 point lead and never threatened in a game where you're not showing all your cards due to USC the following week...yeah, it's okay to call it a blowout. The game was never in question.

• SoCalTrueBlue San Diego, CA
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:10 p.m.

I laughed when I saw the headline. Montana St. played within 17 points of a mighty Pac-12 team. No blowout at all.

• moderateman ITHACA, NY
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:49 p.m.

Objectively, White looked good, Wynn looked mediocre, run defense was good, pass defense was poor. Overall, Utes need to improve a LOT to win the next two games. I agree with 3grandslams--17 points is FAR from a blowout.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:42 p.m.

Uhhmm, 27-10 isn't a blow out win. Look at the Wisc./UNLV score for a reference.