Sports

Ole Miss vs BYU: what the pundits and fans are saying

Comments

• MurrayMike Murray, UT
    Sept. 1, 2011 4:25 p.m.

Like most FB games this game will be won (or lost) in the trenches. If BYU can stuff the run (which IMO they will) then we win and we by 14. If Ole Miss can run then it's a toss up. I will say that when teams run run run, most BYU teams in the past are able to counter that style of football (see Oregon in the Las Vegas Bowl). If the Ole Miss QB is forced to pass then I again see us winning by 14. I just don't see Ole Miss defense stopping our run & pass game.

Final Score BYU 38 Ole Miss 20

• Dr Rosenrosen Gilbert, AZ
    Sept. 1, 2011 11:28 a.m.

I can just picture assistant to the regional mgr63 biting his pillow in a fit of rage when he turns the channel to the BYU game to see them up by 10 with 5 minutes left to go.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Sept. 1, 2011 10:18 a.m.

@Naval vet,

Jake Heaps has done poorly so far. He hasn't torched a decent team yet. BYU likes to talk past games that were odd at best. BYU will be 0-3 for sure. And, I think UCF will beat them as well. Time has hurt BYU. They haven't sniffed a BCS bowl and won't within my lifetime and I'm 48yo. It is all smack talk!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:42 a.m.

Runner:

"Ole Miss' QB can't throw. BYU's QB was the top rated HS recruit and played great as a true freshman."

And good enough to finish as the 98th best FBS QB in the country last year.

[*snicker*]

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Sept. 1, 2011 9:37 a.m.

Runner:

"Do any of the so-called experts know that BYU has two 6'4" fast, athletic receivers?"

Not likely. Only cougar fans [read: a small portion of active LDS members who are estimated to be between 1-2% of the U.S. population], and opposing coaches watch cougar football.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Sept. 1, 2011 8:09 a.m.

I realize this is bitterness but one of my greatest memories of college football is seeing Belotti choke out the words about how bad BYU was after beating a middle of the pack Pac 10 team by 30. I don't know if he had dust in his eyes or if he was holding back tears.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Sept. 1, 2011 7:25 a.m.

Yepers, BYU will be on ESPN Saturday. The Notre Dame game will be on NBC just an hour before........hopefully I can catch the 4th quarter of the BYU game so I can see them sweat! Go Ole Miss!

• LCPDuke IDAHO FALLS, ID
    Sept. 1, 2011 6:55 a.m.

Whatsinit I think you are incorrect. If BSU were to go undefeated and IF BYU goes undefeated BSU gets an auto bid if they are in the top 12 of BCS standings and then BYU might get an at large. The only BCS gaurantee BYU has is top 2 of final standings. Although I can't believe an undefeated BYU team does not get an at large bid they are not promised one.

• DC Alexandria, VA
    Sept. 1, 2011 6:27 a.m.

It's either time to prove most wrong or show the world that not much has changed. Me? I think BYU is going to surprise many people.

Also, do the Utes have a game tonight? I've heard there was one, and I'd like to watch it, but I can't seem to find it on TV anywhere.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    Sept. 1, 2011 6:27 a.m.

Weather update! In Oxford it will be 98 degrees, 73% humidity,10% chance of rain and no wind. The heat index will be 115 at game time. Enjoy the south cougies.......it will be brutal Saturday. Then you must go to HOT Texas after that! BYU = 0-2 start. And,the Utes will probably beat them too.

• Wyomin OREM, UT
    Aug. 31, 2011 11:49 p.m.

Well, we are all most there. I keep wondering if my own senses are right or I am deceived, but I see the best BYU Team I have ever seen! I was worried when BYU opened against Oklahoma two years ago but the boys got it done. I have to believe that they are in way better shape this year. Bronco is working hard to contain his optimism.

I think that it is very funny. ESPN, BYU's godfather, is even pitching BYU down. I have to believe that Saturday will come like a lighting bolt. I expect BYU to dominate every aspect of the game. No one is talking BYU, its almost like BYU has fallen off of the grid. This will make the BYU lopsided victory even more shocking!

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Aug. 31, 2011 10:05 p.m.

The more people nationally think BYU can't do something, and the more BYU does it, simply works in BYU's favor in the long run. Proving people wrong frequently helps either to eventually get them on our side or to discredit them as reliable pundits.

If BYU can start the season 4-0, AND if Texas doesn't flop, it could be a BCS bowl year (provided BYU then runs the table). Even if Boise State goes undefeated, considering THEIR schedule is overall weaker than BYU's, and they started the year way ahead of BYU in the polls, BYU would get both ranked higher (BCS ranking because of SOS) and picked first (at-large---no AQ for mid-majors, trolls!).

• Dr Rosenrosen Gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 31, 2011 9:41 p.m.

If the game were played in Provo, I'd say BYU by at least 10. Being that it's in the south, the weather, the mystique of the SEC, I see it being much closer, but I think BYU will win. The only thing that makes me nervous is the travel/jet lag. Western teams traveling east often have a hard adjustment and don't play to the peak of their capabilities.

• Dr Rosenrosen Gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 31, 2011 9:36 p.m.

Why am I not surprised that Belotti didn't learn a lesson after being embarassed in '06. How did the unathletes of BYU possibly manage to destroy the Mighty Athletes of Oregon? I'm sure Chris B has the answer--speaking of people not learning lessons after being embarassed by their own predictions. And not sticking to their word. (And I quote: If BYU beats SDSU [at Viejas arena] I won't post on a BYU article for the rest of the year. Close quote) Why am I not surprised he didn't keep his word?

• Mountainman56 Alpine, UT
    Aug. 31, 2011 9:07 p.m.

One writer who has been following and writing about BYU for 32 years says this is the best BYU team he has ever seen and is predicting a score of BYU 38 - Miss. 17. Sounds about right to me.

• SoCalTrueBlue San Diego, CA
    Aug. 31, 2011 9:06 p.m.

BYU 34
    Ole Miss 20
    Chris B: 1 out of 2 picks.

• AK Cougar Palmer, AK
    Aug. 31, 2011 9:03 p.m.

I think the Las Vegas odds makers have the better record of predicting this game. We still have to wait another 2 days.

Go Cougars.

• Dr Rosenrosen Gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 31, 2011 8:51 p.m.

Broken records think Chris B is redundant and annoying.

• QBU OREM, UT
    Aug. 31, 2011 8:51 p.m.

How can people be so biased against certain teams? It amazes me how guys like Belotti can say that BYU doesn't belong in a BCS conference after BYU embarrased them in the bowl game? Then he goes on to say that BYU cant match up against Ole Miss because they are athletic? Im wont guarantee a win for BYU but there is no way you can look at the matchup and say BYU can't beat Ole Miss.

BYU running game > Miss running defense
    BYU passing game > Miss pass defense
    BYU running defense = Miss running game
    BYU pass defense > Miss passing game

Any team can win on any given day, but when you disregard all evidence and say a team has no chance, that just proves you are biased and you lose credibility

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 31, 2011 7:58 p.m.

Ole Miss weakness is their secondary, BYU strength is their pass game. BYU will put points on the board.

Ole Miss weakness is their pass game, BYU strength is their LB crew. Ole Miss will be relying heavily on the run. They will struggle to put points on the board.

Does something seem lopsided here? I'm not saying its going to be a blow out, but something is not going to add up for Rebels on Saturday.

Go Cougs!!!

• eagle Provo, UT
    Aug. 31, 2011 7:05 p.m.

The heat and crowd will slow down BYU a bit but Ole Miss isn't exactly Florida or Auburn or Alabama. BYU 31 Ole Miss 27...

• belgie Tualatin, OR
    Aug. 31, 2011 6:47 p.m.

When BYU fans say nothing to embarrass ourselves, Ute fans are forced to put words in our mouths.

• OU812 Layton, UT
    Aug. 31, 2011 6:34 p.m.

Re: bgl

Don't forget:
    Most people pencil BYU into the Armed Forces bowl but BYU fans the BCS NC game.

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    Aug. 31, 2011 5:23 p.m.

Vegas odds makers make BYU 3.5 favorite--BYU fans expect 12 pt. plus win.
    Wow, this is news!
    Also--
    National media sees Jake Heaps as good Soph qb---BYU fans eyeing Heisman.
    Jimmer Fredette seen as mid first round choice---BYU fans see next Larry Bird.
    Independence seen as a lateral move from MWC by most---BYU sees themselves as Notre Dame of the West.
    Pattern here?

• IDC Boise, ID
    Aug. 31, 2011 5:05 p.m.

Who knows? I don't know what BYU is capable of. BYU lost to Florida St., Nevada, and TCU. All 3 had quarterbacks who are getting playing time in the NFL. A decent Utah team had an incredibly lucky bounce, blown call, and blocked punt to beat BYU.(needed all 3) Utah State is a head-scratcher. BYU looks improved on defense and the offense should be significantly better. BYU could start 4-0 or 0-4. We will all know a lot more by Saturday night.

• Runner Chandler, AZ
    Aug. 31, 2011 4:42 p.m.

These pundits are so ridiculous. When was the last time they saw BYU play? They all rattle off the same old lines...BYU is too slow, Ole Miss is from the SEC, blah, blah, blah...

BYU's tall receivers will kill Ole Miss' lame secondary. (Do any of the so-called experts know that BYU has two 6'4" fast, athletic receivers?)

BYU's O-Line, which is also very good, will have no trouble against the Ole Miss D-line.

BYU's D will also match up very well against a very good Ole Miss O-line. BTW, the average of the Ole Miss O-line is 6'6" 321, the average of the BYU O-line (the line that this defense has been practicing against for the past 3-4 wks) is 6'5" 307. That fact, plus the speed of BYU's LB and their depth will make it very difficult for Ole Miss to get their power running game going.

I wonder if the sports writers have ever left the sports bars long enough to realize some of these things.

• nwalton SPRINGVILLE, UT
    Aug. 31, 2011 3:43 p.m.

Here's hoping the national opinion is based only on lack of exposure (people don't know what type of football BYU plays) and a less-than-stellar record last year. Indications seem to be that the Cougars match up well with the Rebels at almost every position (i.e. NFL prospect Matt Reynolds on the O-line against their top pass-rusher, BYU's super-tall receivers against their under-six-foot-tall corners, BYU's much-improved run defense against a run-heavy attack, etc). I think it will be a good game.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 31, 2011 3:35 p.m.

One of these teams is the definition of athletic

One is far from it