Utah

New SUU public lands center named for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid

Comments

• ACF CEDAR CITY, UT
    Aug. 31, 2011 7:18 a.m.

Paul Revere, I think the reason that FDR Fan, MormonDem and isrred have not mentioned anything that Senator Reid has done for Utah is because they can't think of one. I take it back. isrred mentioned the HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of dollars of our money Reid has spent for universities. Maybe we should have the building named after us.

Or maybe they could have mentioned the many times Senator Reid has voted for federal rights over states rights. Or how he constantly favors earmarks, abortion,increasing subsidies and increasing federal land control (that one is especially dear to Utahns). Maybe it is because he votes against supporting the military men & women in doing their duty, or drilling for oil in the US. Or possibly it is because of his support of illegal immigration, including giving legal status to illegal immigrants who have committed felonies.

It could be for any of those reasons that FDR Fan, MormonDem and isrred feel that Reid represents Utah. Personally, I feel that SUU is giving Senator Reid his building because of his support for the prairie dog, which everyone in Iron County finds so adorable.

• Bill Vernal, UT
    Aug. 30, 2011 10:04 p.m.

Congratulations Senator Reid! and SUU. I would like to make the opening but will be thinking happily of you, and what an honor and breath of fresh air for the future of Utah.

• Owen Heber City, UT
    Aug. 29, 2011 11:07 a.m.

Can't wait to see the comments when he's called as a mission president.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 28, 2011 1:12 p.m.

Petty personal knee jerk attacks by the tea party advocates.

• Christy Beaverton, OR
    Aug. 27, 2011 10:37 p.m.

stsucald | 10:49 a.m. Aug. 27, 2011

Does the dictionary of liberalism come with another word other than "hate"?

===========

When people stop being so hateful, we'll stop calling them on it.

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    Aug. 27, 2011 9:59 p.m.

DN Subscriber | 7:35 p.m. Aug. 27, 2011
    Cottonwood Heights, UT

Comparing Harry Reid to Lee Harvey Oswald! There is no room for compromise with people like you. And there are plenty of you. Saying one tenth of what I feel would never make it past the censors. But you have reached a low point - even for the tea partiers.

• LivinLarge Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 27, 2011 8:28 p.m.

Won't be sending my kids to this school...

• dogchow1 Murray, UT
    Aug. 27, 2011 7:41 p.m.

Pure political pandering on the part of SUU. Watch for and follow the money trails.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 27, 2011 7:35 p.m.

Some have praised Harry Reid's boyhood and hard work to get an education.

That is as relevant as noting the Lee Harvey Oswald served in the Marine Corps, while ignoring that his later conduct was very harmful to our country.

Others claim "Harry Reid has been integral in working with former Senator Bob Bennett in securing HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of dollars for universities in Utah including USU, UofU, SUU, UVU, and even Dixie State."

Translation- two high profile politicians spent a ton of money we don't have, and had to borrow from China, and will have to be paid back (with interest!) by our kids and grandchildren hoping to buy votes. And we are supposed to be thankful and encourage them to do more of that? Senator Bennett already got thrown out of office for his spending habits.

Sorry, Harry Reid is destroying this country, and it dishonors this state and this state taxpayer supported school to name a building after him.

No building should ever be named after a politician. Except maybe prisons and sanitation facilities.

• shark Buena Vista, VA
    Aug. 27, 2011 6:20 p.m.

I once attended a talk with a mostly LDS audience. The speaker bought up Harry Reid, as a politician he knew most of us disagreed with. The speaker's point was that HR was a great home teacher, so we shouldn't judge him harshly. Well, I'm glad he is a great home teacher, and he will certainly be blessed for that. However, he and his party are ruining our country. But my dislike of HR goes far beyond political disagreement: from what I've seen of his political career and his associations, I sincerely believe that he is fundamentally dishonest.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    Aug. 27, 2011 6:03 p.m.

Well, for a moment I thought it was going to be for Roger Reid. What a sigh of relief. :)

• One Utah Taxpayer Kearns, UT
    Aug. 27, 2011 4:40 p.m.

Not every Utahn "hates" Sen. Harry Reid. Congratulations Mr. Reid, an SUU graduate, for your hard work and your service to your country and state of Nevada.

To those who dislike Mr. Reid, he isn't your senator and he is a Mormon. Maybe he is saving the Constitution...

• Geezer Catonsville, MD
    Aug. 27, 2011 2:24 p.m.

Senator Reid has shown by example how to work up a public lands law by negotiation among the stakeholders. His public land laws for Nevada became a model for the Washington County public lands law enacted in 2009 with the leadership of Senator Bennett. Harry Reid demonstrated that a single bill can provide for wilderness, ORVs, and development, if people are willing to sit down and negotiate about specific areas and boundaries.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    Aug. 27, 2011 2:20 p.m.

This is a disgrace.
    If the name sticks, tear the building down.

• isrred Logan, UT
    Aug. 27, 2011 2:08 p.m.

Revere,

Harry Reid opens his office every semester to interns from SUU, USU, and other students in Utah--something that isn't all that common for members of Congress to open their offices to opportunities for students outside their state. This is giving back to Utah and its students.

Harry Reid has been integral in working with former Senator Bob Bennett in securing HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of dollars for universities in Utah including USU, UofU, SUU, UVU, and even Dixie State. This helps not only our students, but our local economies providing jobs and pumping money into our state--not to mention the amazing advancements in science and medicine our Universities have developed because of this.

Harry Reid does a lot for Utah and obviously these two examples are both dealing with Universities because 1) That is my area of personal experience and direct impact with Sen. Reid's work and 2) That is the subject of this article.

Harry Reid has done plenty for Utah and for SUU. Saying otherwise simply is not based in fact.

• peacemaker Provo, UT
    Aug. 27, 2011 2:06 p.m.

It's amazing when a liberal is criticized it is called hatred. What did they call the criticism of President Bush? A private group in the State of Washington placed a caricature of President Obama on several billboards along with a statement expressing his mistakes and foolish judgement. The Executive Branch quickly demanded the billboards be removed and threatened to withold Federal funding for roads if they failed to do so. Is that blackmail to inflict a penalty for the freedom of speech we so cherish. That is typical of what is happening throughout many Federal agencies operating under the "CZARS" appointed by Obama, totally circumventing our right as citizens to hold them responsible for their actions.It is the express intent of this administration to create complete dependence on the government in order to make the masses subservient to every imposition placed on our freedoms ie. businesses, minorities through entitlements, government employees (average salaries up from $85,000 to $130,000 in two years)criminal illegal aliens etc. (yes, they have committed a crime to enter this country). Let's ignore enforcement where we choose. All this supported by Harry Reid.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Aug. 27, 2011 2:00 p.m.

EXCELLENT! Congratulations to Harry Reid. A very deserving honor for his long career in public service. For all the hate mongerers out there, let go of your hate for a non-issue such as this, please. I think Ronald Reagan was a joke of a president, but I don't get upset when they named Reagan National Airport in Washington after him. In fact every time I read your non-sensical belligerent posts, I think of a famous line from Reagan, the ole gipper, himself, "Oh, there you go again."

• Paul Revere American Fork, UT
    Aug. 27, 2011 1:49 p.m.

Mormon Dem, I'll go one better then reading his biography. I write letters and ask questions. I also go to the home pages of the members of the Congress and Senate and read what they have done and are doing currently. Senator Reid has done nothing for Utah, or SUU that I can tell from his home page. Forget telling me in a letter where he stands on issues or what he is doing for us here in Utah, for his policy, unless it has changed in the last year is to not respond to letters from people outside his state. As for reading his biography thanks for the recommendation. I will try and pick it up once I finish reading Theodore Rex. In the mean time I still haven't seen any legislative proposals or programs he has put forward to help Utah or SUU. I still maintain there are far more deserving Utahns that have served the state and it's people better and more then a power broker in Washington DC who happens to be from Nevada.

• MormonDem Provo, UT
    Aug. 27, 2011 1:31 p.m.

Paul Revere: "I am not aware..." "Nothing... that I am aware of..."

Then maybe you should do a little homework. A lack of knowledge on your part does not equal a lack of accomplishments on Reid's part.

I've read Reid's biography. Have you?

It's your job to base your opinions on information. It's not my job to disabuse you of your opinions that you haven't bothered to base on information.

• Paul Revere American Fork, UT
    Aug. 27, 2011 1:11 p.m.

FDR Fan, MormonDem and isrred, please tell me, specifically one good thing he has done for UTAH? SUU? How has he used "his time and talents to help SUU"? I am not aware of anything that he has done that would warrant this kind of honor. Specifically what has he done to help the state of Utah? Name one specific thing, please? Senator Reid may have cleaned up Las Vegas, although I would like to know how and see a cleaner Las Vegas, he may be a good family man, may be a distinguished SUU alumni, but what has he done for UTAH? MY opposition to this honor being bestowed upon him has little to do with his politics, but more to do with the fact that he has done nothing good for Utah that I am aware of. He may have voted with President Clinton to take away more land from the state, but as far as helping Utah, what has he done? He cares little for the state and its people. He is a man absorbed in power and politics, not service to the nation as evidenced by no letters to those outside of Nevada.

• isrred Logan, UT
    Aug. 27, 2011 12:17 p.m.

"SUU, what are you thinking? I'll have to burn my T-bird shirt."

I think they are thinking that they are honoring one of their most distinguished alumni and a man who has given of his time an talents in helping SUU become a better university through his influence. And I think they are absolutely right to do so. Now if only Utah State would stop their childish, public ambivalence towards Reid while at the same time accepting his help in securing research funding behind the scenes.

Harry Reid benefited from a quality Higher Education system in Utah and he has done MUCH to give back to that system in his career in Congress. Rejecting the man simply because of the letter next to his name on the ballot is pure craziness and something that is disgraceful to Utah.

• stsucald SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Aug. 27, 2011 12:11 p.m.

Peacemaker....thank you, thank you, and thank you. Yes, Harry likes his family, but i'm just not sure how he feels about everyone else's. Helping to saddle your posterity with a debt that will NEVER be repaid is abhorrent. Both Dems and Repubs have done this to be sure, but it has accelerated dramatically under Obama. I'll be the first to concede that Bush #2 was reckless, totally.

Leader Reid's religious status, as you say, has NOTHING to do with what is going on or how it's being handled. I'm Mormon and proud of it, but I do not adhere to the doctrine on Mormon royalty. These people are your servants, not kings, queens, priests or even princesses. Hold their feet to the fire or you're going to wake up someday and TOTALLY disbelieve what has happened to this beloved country.

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    Aug. 27, 2011 12:09 p.m.

I hope Harry Reid doesnt take the vitriolic comments personally. As a new convert at BYU I was confronted with negative references about Social Security. At the time my father, at age 57 and after 43 years as a coal miner, became disabled and applied for social security benefits. I dont recall anyone defending SSA but I sure remember several comments against it, both in class and in church meetings. When I started getting VA benefits some were barely able to contain their anger. I remember attending a meeting where some economist was the guest speaker. I dont remember anything he said but that he called into question the parenthood of John Maynard Keynes. I think that Keynes was a son of an unmarried dog. I had no idea who Keynes was, but I was amused at the anger of the speaker. So Senator Reid, it is not you. It is that you are a Democrat. And Democrats did something to offend Utah Mormons. I wish I knew what it was.

• peacemaker Provo, UT
    Aug. 27, 2011 11:51 a.m.

Mormon Dem
    Still trying to rationalize for the man who has done more damage to this country along with Obama and Palousi than any Senate leader in history. His tough life has nothing to do with the greed of Congress. He is a participant no matter how you paint it. I love the comment by a past great England Prime Minister Mararet Thatcher: "The problem with socialism is , eventually you run out of other peoples money". Reid and his cohorts have done that. But I guess he deserves it because he had such a tough life. His religious beliefs have nothing to do with his destructive actions in congress. Standby while the destruction continues until they all get the boot in 2012.

• ACF CEDAR CITY, UT
    Aug. 27, 2011 11:11 a.m.

This is insulting to the people of Utah and especially Cedar City. SUU, what are you thinking? I'll have to burn my T-bird shirt.

• stsucald SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Aug. 27, 2011 10:49 a.m.

Does the dictionary of liberalism come with another word other than "hate"?

• MormonDem Provo, UT
    Aug. 27, 2011 10:46 a.m.

Peacemaker: it's simply laughable to claim that Reid is in it for the money and a life of luxury.

When in Washington, he lives in a small apartment. Up until he became senate majority leader in 2006, when he was at home in Searchlight, Nevada, he lived in a double-wide trailer home. His kids finally convinced him that it wasn't too much of an extravagance to actually buy a permanent home.

His father was a drunk, his mother took in laundry from the brothels to put food on the table. He hitchhiked weekly in order to be able to attend a proper high school.

He stood up to the mobs and cleaned up Vegas, despite death threats and a (thankfully failed) car bomb found attached to his wife's car.

You might not agree with his politics, but many of us do, and he represents us. That's how democracy works, like it or not. You have to work and live with people you disagree with.

Out of pure, gleeful, childish hatred, the Tea Party invaded Searchlight and had a rally there, for no other reason than to mock and deride a political opponent. Absolute unadulterated hatred.

• Maverick West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 27, 2011 10:46 a.m.

Shameless!

• isrred Logan, UT
    Aug. 27, 2011 10:19 a.m.

It's a good thing all of these posters weren't Reid's college peers because that would have ensured he never converted to the LDS Church. So much hatred and vitriol towards a man who, while you may disagree with politically, is a good family man. No scandals. No disgraceful affairs. Nothing but a long career of public service.

Disagree with his politics--fine. But the pure hatred for about as good of a man as you will find in Washington is embarrassing and a disgrace on the people of our state.

• peacemaker Provo, UT
    Aug. 27, 2011 10:03 a.m.

Senator Reid is a participant in:
    No personal Social Security payments by congress.
    No requirement that Congress participate in the miraculous Health Care Bill. They have their own special health care insurance.
    A Congressional retirement so astounding no Americans can have access to it.
    Congress has set themselves up for a life of retired luxury that we pay for from the meager fixed social security income we depend on.
    Senator Reid is as responsible for the current state of the economy as any other person in government. That includes Mr. "run us into bankruptcy" Obama
    This honor given him is a monument to a nobody.
    Bye Bye contributions to SUU!!

• sustcald SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Aug. 27, 2011 9:54 a.m.

TMR, the only thing comical is how you state that your hate tags are not directed towards those who disagree or think different than you, but towards over the top comments made by some, myself included. Essentially towards those who - disagree with you, not so? Yes you have lived all over the world, for if you hadnt you would realize that we are the United States of America. States, by design, retain some powers, but are nevertheless subject to actions, laws, and regulations, out of Washington. What Harry conjures up in his mind affects this country and certainly the states in general. Its all connected TMR. This is what some of the founders feared the most. The states can become heavily saddled with Harrys ideas. The critiques you are witnessing here go beyond what happens or has happened in Searchlight, Nevada or the state of Nevada as a whole. I love the west, California and Nevada included, but the people of this country have given Harry a much larger charge, one that dictates our strict attentio

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    Aug. 27, 2011 9:54 a.m.

Congrats, Harry!
    Still excited that you beat that goofy Sharon Engle in the election a while back.
    Keep up the good work. Despite these posts, there are still many of us supporting you!

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    Aug. 27, 2011 9:37 a.m.

sustcald mentioned the "Constitution hanging by a thread" teaching.
    Have you noticed that's evaporated from our global church, along with the honoring of Law Day in the United States?
    Reid is fit to join that parade, but I must ask, "Why do they hate America so?"

• sustcald SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Aug. 27, 2011 9:10 a.m.

Rock of The Marne, isnt it just one huge stretch to imply that what has been said by various posts here as indicative of the moral bankruptcy of this country? This is good political debate, with some sincere challenges made by those with different viewpoints, dear sir or madam, and should be fostered not mitigated by sophomoric judgments of hate-mongering or vicious attacks. Good grief, when the rigid examination of our leaders stops, then so shall we as a country. On the one hand you talk about too much baggage associated with party membership and then proceed to bring into question the patriotism, intellect, and devotion to service of the vast majority. Your decorum is better? So, youre not a huge fan of Sen. Reids politics? May I remind you that a persons politics is the very thing that most often gets translated into new rules, regulations, laws, and overall grief, if you will, coming out of Washington?

• Paul Revere American Fork, UT
    Aug. 27, 2011 9:08 a.m.

To Rock of the Marne-Senator Reid has done nothing for the State of Utah. I would invite those who are castigating those of us up posed to this honor to show us one thing he has done to help Utah. I have written him before and the only response was that Senator Reid doe not respond to those who live outside of his state. Furthermore his politics are not base on "statesmanship" but on maintaining his power within the Senate and Democratic Party as well as his influence in the Whitehouse. I am not a right wing voter but an Independent voter and have actively tried to get response from members of both parties in Congress and the Senate. Senator Reid is the only one to refuse to respond because I do not live in his state. I take this as. A sign that he could care less for the people of other states. This honor should go to someone who has helped Utah, not themselves. Maybe UNLV could name a building after him-say their school of Casino Management for we are truly gambling with politicians like Senatro Reid.

• TMR Los Angeles, CA
    Aug. 27, 2011 8:22 a.m.

To Sustcald: I use the label "haters" in the context of these posts not to identify people who think differently than me, but to suggest that many of the comments, including your's I might add (i.e., what in the world does California's economic woes have to do with me or Senator Reid? I have lived all over the world, and am a new-comer to LA), are so over the top, so emotive, so uncivil, that they enter the realm of comedy.

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    Aug. 27, 2011 8:20 a.m.

The lack of decorum evidenced by many of these posts is shameful and a perfect example of the moral bankruptcy that has encompassed far too many citizens of the republic. As an independent voter (party membership entails far too much baggage) I find it exasperating that people will attack with rhetoric and generalities from afar but don't have the wherewithal to provide specific evidence for their vitriol against Senator Reid or any other person or thing they attack. It's lazy beyond belief and I dare say right or wrong calls into question the overall intellect of a person who can't offer up as evidence anything more than the same tired party rhetoric. Personally, while I am not a huge fan of Sen. Reid's politics, I stand by him for the service he has provided to our country; something I dare say the vast majority of the people who attack him have not offered up in any form; yet many claim to be patriots. Congratulations Sen. Reid on the naming of a building at your alma mater. Never mind the haters who can't even articulate their reason for their hate; Im afraid its just a sign of the times.

• tenx Santa Clara, UT
    Aug. 27, 2011 7:54 a.m.

It is only fitting that his lecture be after midnight, much like the legislation (bills) that he dreams up.

• sustcald SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Aug. 27, 2011 1:52 a.m.

Truthseeker, please stay on course if you can. As you state, CA has had 22 Republican and 16 Democratic Governors. Is this supposed to imply something or advance my knowledge about CA? Surely, youre not trying to prove who owns CAs poor fiscal status by governor counts? More does not necessarily equate with dominated nor with which party is at fault now does it? Isnt the whole situation just a leetle bit more complicated than that?

This is where your logic gets really interesting. Nothing that I stated was about reading or not reading from a variety of newspapers, nor can you draw such a simple conclusion as you have. Variety is good, but like your governor counts, misses the mark. Surely, the only shame here is that your logic is so misconstrued. My point was simply and somewhat jokingly this liberals are so very bad at explaining the conservative viewpoint or mind. Sometimes I wonder if liberals truly understand the damaging impact of their own ideas on society. Hold back the "kudos" for Senator Reid and don't lecture us until you can first demonstrate truthfully what his leadership and Miss Nancy's have really accomplished.

• MormonDem Provo, UT
    Aug. 27, 2011 12:53 a.m.

I'm embarrassed by the hatred being spewed on this board towards Harry Reid. You may not agree with him politically, but he's served honorably, he has lived a life that should be an inspiration to anyone (if you don't know his biography, you should learn about it), he is a highly accomplished alumnus of SUU, and he's the highest-ranked LDS politician in our country's history.

You people should be ashamed of yourselves. Ignorant hatred of political opponents has become a recreational sport in Utah.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Aug. 26, 2011 11:41 p.m.

Congrats to Harry! You've come a long way from Searchlight!

re:sustcald
    FYI
    You don't know much about CA.
    CA has had 22 Republican Governors and 16 Democratic Governors. Since 1959, Republicans Governors have dominated.
    Some people are open to reading from a variety of newspapers.
    It's a shame you don't.

• whoisjohngalt Holladay, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 11:29 p.m.

I feel sick.

• sustcald SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 10:19 p.m.

TMR, maybe your first thought should have been - "How come I'm not reading that liberal rag the Los Angeles Times instead"? Second thought, how about - "Why do I label anyone who disagrees with me a "hater"? Third thought, well let me see - "Harry Reid is a Mormon, as well, the Mormons can rightfully feel shame if they want to". Sorry TMR, you'll never understand that point anyway. Fourth thought, I'd better go and prepare myself for the time this once great state of California leads the rest of the country into bankrupcy, courtesy of the best liberal minds available. Utah is just doing fine.....thank you anyway.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 10:14 p.m.

Please tell me this is really a late April Fool's joke.

• Paul Revere American Fork, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 9:23 p.m.

I have the highest regard for SUU, but to name this center after Harry Reid just because he is a former student is a travesty. What has Senator done for Utah, or SUU that is remarkable or otherwise noteworthy? I do not hate Senator Reid,, I just feel that surely there are far more deserving UTAHans that this center could be named after. What about our long time former Democratic Governor Cal Rampton, or Governor Matheson, or Jake Garn,or Don Lind. Senator Reid cares nothing for Utah or our people. Just try and write him a letter and your response will be that he only responds to people within his state. He fails to realize that as the Majority Leader of the Senate and a major power broker in the Democratic Party he serves a lot more people then just the people of Nevada. Senator Reid cares nothing for the common man, only his position in the Senate and Democratic party. SUU find some one local to bestow this honor on.

• BigRich Orem, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 9:16 p.m.

I'm not a hater but the facts are the facts. No one has done more to interfere with Utah public lands than the democrats. Where was Reid when Clinton made his cowardly announcement concerning Utah land from the Grand Canyon? To receive something you need to have done something and I know of nothing Reid has done for us, especially anything related to land use.

• TMR Los Angeles, CA
    Aug. 26, 2011 8:35 p.m.

When I say the headline for this story, my first thought was "great, what an honor for Senator Reid and Utah." My second thought was "I bet the haters will jump on the comment board." It is nice to see all of you on board. The most remarkable comment is by Swartzy: "As a Mormon I am ashamed of his behavior and agenda." Come now, Swartzy: if you were not a Mormon, you would feel different about Reid? What in the world does your "Mormonism" have to do with whatever feelings of "shame" you have due to Senator Reid? The truth is that Senator Reid has been and continues to be a breath of fresh air from the right-wing LDS political crowd and helps to counter the view that Mormonism = Repubican Party. So, cudos to SUU for honoring a fine man and leader.

• CJ Murray, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 7:55 p.m.

@liberaleastcoastmember,

Don't you need to be worrying about the hurricane tonight instead trying to butcher Shakespeare? You guys need to get through this so you can blame Bush, the tea party, and global warming for it and the earthquake too. Good luck to you in any case, hope you all survive, we need the comic relief out here.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 7:49 p.m.

How about naming it for one or both of of the two Utah Navy SEALs killed in Afghanistan who were outdoor loving people, even if not SUU grads or famous politicians.

Or, don't we honor patriotic heroes in academia any more?

Really, Harry Reid? Can't they do better than that?

• stsucald SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 7:46 p.m.

When I was a wee lad going to church, I was told that the Elders of the Church would save the constitution when it was "hanging by a thread". I believe we are close to the latter, but do some of you "wise intellectual" type people in this state think that ole Harry might qualify to be part of the rescue squad? After all, the operative word here is "save".

• Elcapitan Ivins, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 6:56 p.m.

They went bottom fishing for this name....another Clintonesque Demnocrat Dirty Trick plastered on Utah...I can hear Bill Clinton now. Oh well, look at what they do at this center....Public Lands, just what Utah needs..more public lands.

• Red Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 6:51 p.m.

Well, birds of a feather. SUU sold out too.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 6:42 p.m.

At least they didn't name it after "Michael Moore." I'm afraid in a few years students will ask "Who's Harry Reid?"

• stsucald SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 6:34 p.m.

Isn't it always interesting how certain folks - LiberalEastCoastMember, for example, confuse a sincere love of the constitution with "hate" for constitutional offenders?

• Swartzy Arlington, TX
    Aug. 26, 2011 6:27 p.m.

How Embarrassing. To have Reid's name on anything other than the Land fill He has done much to turn this country in to "rubbish". He should not be honored in any state much less Utah. As a Mormon I am ashamed of his behavior and his agenda.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 6:19 p.m.

Public service by either party is commendable. For those that are physically ill, get a life.

• LiberalEastCoastMember Parkesburg, PA
    Aug. 26, 2011 6:10 p.m.

CJ, dumprake, Richie, me thinks your hate Senator Reid a bit much.

• dumprake Washington, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 5:52 p.m.

Please tell me it's not so. Harry Reid? I am offended at the very idea; a Nevadan, a revolting Democrat who has done more harm to the constitution, the state of Nevada (and Utah), and who has led the charge in running this country straight over a cliff--is having a center named after him? in Utah? in Cedar City? I might be sick.

• CJ Murray, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 5:52 p.m.

Are you seriously going to name a building after the biggest sell out political hack to ever set foot in Congress and use our tax dollars to do it? Is it going to be next to the Nancy Pelosi monument to stupidity? Maybe we can name the school of business after Maxine, "lets' nationalize all corporations" Waters. Whoever is behind this needs to be run out the state on a rail.

• MormonDem Provo, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 5:33 p.m.

Richie: tough cookies. My taxes are still paying for the Iraq war.

The public lands center was going to be built anyway. Reid's a short name. The sign over the door won't cost much.

• Richie Saint George, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 4:50 p.m.

Are my taxes paying for this? I think I will get sick. Please name it after someone else.