Utah

West Valley police search Washington home of Susan Powell's husband

Police remove computer equipment from the home

Comments

• Thomas Smith Sandy, UT
    Aug. 27, 2011 6:20 p.m.

Quote:
    "I'm sorry to say but Josh Powell and his father are sick! How can they do this to the Cox family and even to Susan's and Josh's boys?" one person posted. "

Think of the Casey Anthony trial... Prosecutors made a fantastic collection of circumstantial evidence, but in that case it didn't fool the jurors. The justice system in America has a profound foundation to protect the innocent-- it is just that Judges and Lawyers, (Drama Experts) feed upon the imaginations and creation of evidence of Law Enforcement, and frankly just about anyone can be convicted of anything when they get through. Ask Debra Brown.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 2:29 p.m.

As I recollect the past 2 years of the missing mother, Susan Cox Powell, I can't remember anything about Steven Powell's wife, Josh Powell's mother and the Grandmother to the two children that Josh Powell has in his custody? Is she missing also?

After reading, I believe they were divorced some time ago, but it seems like Teri Powell would come forward to clear up some of these questions, since she would actually stay at Steve's house when she visited her children.

• CF Mom Sandy, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 12:52 p.m.

I find this interesting - just comparing two public statements

First - Powell Family - We want to publish Susan's journal's to show her tendency toward being "open sexually" to support our contention that she initiated the "contacts" with the elder Powell and that she has run off with another man.

Notice that nothing was said about the diary ending during her teenage years, That detail was raised by her father.

Then second - When the journals were the subject of a search warrant - Josh Powell is telling the camera- I don't see what childhood diaries have to do with this case

Sure sounds like a case of situational ethics to me - What do you think?

• way2go Kearns, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 11:37 a.m.

Guilty or not, the Powell's are not handling the situation very well. If he is not guilty he sure has done some odd things to show his concern and care over the situation. Smearing Susan when she is not around to defend herself is despicable. I want to know what the police found and are looking for as much as the next guy, but I also know that cases and evidence get thrown out if everything isn't done with exactness. So, let's allow the police to do their job. It has been nearly two years and they are still working on the case. Just because it didn't get solved within an hour like the crime shows doesn't mean they aren't making progress. Just because they did this search does not mean everything will be wrapped up nicely before the ending credits and your local news.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Aug. 26, 2011 10:05 a.m.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Or in other words, like father like son. When I read Steve Powell's comments, I instantly though, this guy is as involved as Josh is and they are so smug, that they are making these kinds of comments. They need to change their last name from Powell to Peterson, how is that working for those two? I hope that they were able to gather some good information.

• full disclosure Providence, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 9:53 a.m.

I'm not sure if Josh Powell is guilty or not guilty. I do think however that he is taking the right approach by not cooperating with the West Valley Police, probably like others have said, because of advice from his attorney. Josh has said that he would cooperate with the FBI, if they would pay for the work of his attorney which is more than fair. Me , the FBI trumps local police any day.
    Here's also how I look at it. Josh doesn't appear to be the brightest bulb in the pack and if he is guilty and it's taken this long for a whole slew of police to figure things out, it's not saying much about the WVC Police department now is it.

• justaguy Out There in, WI
    Aug. 26, 2011 9:10 a.m.

I have to agree with the others that are thinking this Steve Powell guy is sounding more and more creepy. I hope he's getting looked at real close by the police.

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Aug. 26, 2011 8:56 a.m.

It is funny to me when people complain about waisting tax payers money. Well, when a member of your family goes missing and you suspect foul play from their spouse, come complain to me about waisting tax payers money in trying to find them. I bet you would be begging the police to be relentless in finding them and you wouldn't whisper a single comment about waisting money. Truth is what it is, until it affects your family, your type just doesn't care about other people and the difficulties that something like this can cause to them.

• Weber State Graduate Clearfield, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 8:50 a.m.

@WHAT NOW

"Has the court of public opinion already convicted him of murder?"

Possibly, but the so called "court of public opinion" is certainly being egged on with stupid statements from his father like...

"Susan was very sexual with me. She was very flirtatious...We interacted in a lot of sexual ways because Susan enjoys doing that...Frankly, sometimes I wish we had done a little more than we did."

How can you expect the "court of public opinion" to not take a position when you see outrageously pathetic statements like this being made on national TV (the court of public opinion)about a person who is not around to defend herself?

• LivinLarge Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 8:49 a.m.

If my wife were missing, I would not rest until she was found and the first place I would go is to the police for assistance. Josh appears to feel just the opposite, I wonder why?

• ksampow Farr West, Utah
    Aug. 26, 2011 8:47 a.m.

"Innocent until proven guilty" does not excuse failing to cooperate with police, and trashing the victim publicly when she is not able to defend herself!

• boatersteve Fruit Heights, Utah
    Aug. 26, 2011 7:44 a.m.

Twenty two cops to search one home for seven hours--seems a bit excessive, but what does it matter its just tax payers money.

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 7:29 a.m.

to juni4ling | 10:07 p.m. Aug. 25, 2011

Given the circumstances, and knowing how the legal authorities work, if I were involved in this type of situation getting a lawyer is one of the first things I would do out of self-protection (AND I would follow the lawyer's advice, like Powell is doing). There have been too many times when the authorities seek out evidence to support their pet theories and disregard anything that might prove different (remember Robert Ricci in the Elizabeth Smart case). If the police really thought that they would find something in the Powell house in Washington State, they should have searched it a year ago.

In this case there is no proof and no evidence to show whether Susan Powell is dead or alive. If she is dead, there is no proof and no evidence to show how she died and, if she was killed, who did it. There is a lot of media and family driven speculation but nothing more. I really wish people would wait until there is real evidence before trying this case in the media (and tainting the jury pool in the process). Wait until the facts come in.

• Schwa South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 26, 2011 12:15 a.m.

Yes, the police would never dig up some phony probable cause to get a search warrant for a fishing expedition.

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Aug. 25, 2011 11:05 p.m.

To get a warrant, especially two years later, you would have to have some compelling evidence to convince a judge. They don't just hand them out like candy. To say they are just fishing is silly. This is a tragedy but I hope they find out what happened and can bring closure to a family. As for Josh's father, he starting to look suspicious to me. Just suspicous people, not guilty.

• guswetrust Cebterville, Utah
    Aug. 25, 2011 11:01 p.m.

Once again the victim is made to look bad. Steve and Josh are sick!

• juni4ling Somewhere in Colorado, CO
    Aug. 25, 2011 10:07 p.m.

To Furry1993

I seriously doubt it is a "fishing trip."

Not after the fact that the Powells have already lawyered up.

It may be... But I personally seriously doubt it... Or rather, I seriously hope not. For the sake of the victim, and her loved ones.

• Dustyredcliffs Saint George, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 9:07 p.m.

These Children are the ones that will suffer the most....
    Not good no matter how it ends.
    Sad to say........

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 7:33 p.m.

I just hope there is enough evidence to nail both Josh and Steve.......couldn't happen to two nicer guys and Susan's boys deserve better than these two......

I can't wait to go camping in 9* weather this winter with my two young boys when I have to be to work at 8 the next morning, eh Josh?

• WHAT NOW? Saint George, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 7:05 p.m.

IF he is innocent, will there be a rush, by those who are certain he killed her, to apologize for pre-judging him guilty?

Has the court of public opinion already convicted him of murder?

6 friends comparing notes about all they know and then coming up with the same conclusion means exactly what in a court of law?

Can he sue people for falsely accusing him?...for libel?

Can he sue the WVPD for harrassment?

On the other hand, if he is guilty of murdering her, the arrest, trial and sentencing cannot come soon enough.

• bobosmom small town, Nebraska
    Aug. 25, 2011 6:10 p.m.

I hope that they have found something that this case can bring a closure to the Cox family, which could take a while and that they find out and make an arrest. Josh Powell's refusal to cooperate doesnt make him look good and his fathers comments are horrible. Why would anyone take there young children on a campout when it is in the 30's and practically the dead of winter? If they were older and it was a scouting expedition that would be something different. I hope this comes to a close soon. May God bless the Cox family and the Powell children.

• BobP Port Alice, B.C.
    Aug. 25, 2011 5:56 p.m.

What a collosal waste of time and manpower.

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 5:52 p.m.

To juni4ling | 5:11 p.m. Aug. 25, 2011
    Somewhere In Colorado, CO
    I doubt that the Police would be executing a Search Warrant, unless they had some pretty convincing evidence already...

--------------------------

Have you ever heard of the term "fishing trip"? Police often do that, hoping that they might find something they don't expect.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 5:46 p.m.

This case has even less evidence than the Casey Anthony case.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 5:45 p.m.

If WVC nabs this guy, I will be eating my words, happily.

• skylinestar saltlake city, utah
    Aug. 25, 2011 5:34 p.m.

thier has to be some more evidence of what had happened and to know the whole truth of the missing mother.What a a horrible sad story

• Mukkake Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 5:30 p.m.

Maybe WVCPD need to plant the evidence in Washington that Josh's departure never gave them a chance to plant on him here in Utah?

Innocent or guilty, his refusal to comply continues to make them look bad.

• Let's be real Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 5:14 p.m.

This is awesome. I was hoping that the search in Ely was not at a loss. I think that they were looking for something specific, while watching Josh also. This thing can all be over if Josh would just tell the police what happened. Come Josh, do what it right for once.

• juni4ling Somewhere in Colorado, CO
    Aug. 25, 2011 5:11 p.m.

Since the Powells (son and dad) have already got lawyers involved...

No way they would get a warrant and execute it unless they were ready for the legal backlash. No way.

I hope we learn an answer soon of what happened to this innocent mother...

• K Mchenry, IL
    Aug. 25, 2011 5:03 p.m.

Sure hope it's something.

• photographermom South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 4:57 p.m.

I was a little critical the other day on another story regarding this case. Something is obviously going on.

On another note as I am watching this story unfold I am wondering if Josh Powell is protecting Steve Powell and not the other way around.

• Citizen Jane Clearfield, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 4:56 p.m.

Obviously, this has been a very troubling, ongoing story.

One point that doesn't ring true to me is if Sr./Jr. Powell believe Susan is still alive, why do they think they have the right to publish her personal journals? If she is dead, obviously the husband would inherit her personal effects, not the father-in-law. And, a considerate husband would offer the journals to the parents of the deceased.

To me, it seems like smoke and mirrors; and some people 'protesteth' too much.

Another troubling aspect of this sordid affair is the estrangement of the boys (Susan's sons) and Cox grandparents.

• RSLJAZZBYUUTAH Syracuse, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 4:50 p.m.

I am still a skeptic in the case, I want to think that a husband and father wouldn't do this to someone they care about, but more and more I come to think that he had to do it, just like the Casey Anthony case she did it and it makes me mad that she got away with it.

• westcoastlife saltlake city, utah
    Aug. 25, 2011 4:47 p.m.

This can get more to top the Story of the missing person mother,Susan.
    Its about Time that Thier is more to keep in Following the mystery!
    Some one some body knows the story.
    With All The support of many Susan Has all this time to get this missing person found in some way

For I too wish her own Family well in finding out to get some kind of closure.And Why ????? Did they ever Do what ever they done.

I feel so bad for her two Boys caught in the middle of all this!

• Ms Molli Bountiful, Utah
    Aug. 25, 2011 4:41 p.m.

This story covered by a different news source says the search is focusing on her diaries. Don't know if the other news source got a copy of the search warrant of if they are just repeating what someone told them.

• aghast SYRACUSE, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 4:28 p.m.

While entering my comment on another story, this story broke - prayers answered?