Utah

ZCMI facade back on Main Street

Comments

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 25, 2011 7:38 a.m.

The best part is the Main Street pedestrian bridge. It was worth the fight it took to get it.

• Floyd Johnson Broken Arrow, OK
    Aug. 25, 2011 8:02 a.m.

Is the $1 billion figure accurate? I was under the impression that this had grown beyond $2 billion. Either way, the timing of this investment was perfect to sustain the local economy. Construction jobs when construction is in a tail-spin. This project will be an asset to the community for generations. I look forward to completion.

• Most Truthful and Patriotic Layton, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 8:04 a.m.

Oh, don't we all miss ZCMI (even we gentiles).

Macy's took over many of the quality, local department store chains -- and turned them into an ugly mishmash of blah.

I'll shop at Macy's, when they bring back the raisin and date-filled cookies.

• cambodia girl Phnom Penh, Cambodia
    Aug. 25, 2011 9:22 a.m.

What a welcome sight. I loved ZCMI. Seeing the facade makes me want to reminisce: The warm bread and butter, the candy counter, the Tiffin Room, the store clerks dressed to the nines, the busy atmosphere, decorated windows at Christmas, etc. It was just a classy place. Too bad when we walk through the doors of the facade it won't be what once was. Sigh:)

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Aug. 25, 2011 10:37 a.m.

That is awesome that they have cleaned it up and put it back, I have so many fond memories of walking through those doors as a teenager working for ZCMI. My first job was downstairs and the thing I enjoyed doing the most was mixing paint. Also showing how the corelle plates never break when you drop them, except one time, it shattered, apparently they do wear down. I also loved the spectacular Christmas displays in the windows. It is a shame that ZCMI closed their doors, but at least they leave behind a great memory.

• Noodlekaboodle Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 10:48 a.m.

I wish they would re open just one ZCMI location in the new mall.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Aug. 25, 2011 11:45 a.m.

Hooray for preserving old architecture! There's not much of it where I live. Whenever I visit Salt Lake, I am always impressed by the abundance of beautiful old buildings. I hope it never changes.

• Reasonable Person Layton, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 12:37 p.m.

I've always wondered why ZCMI didn't go "independent", like IHC did. I can understand why a church doesn't want to own a chain of department stores (although they now have shopping malls!).

So much was lost. Those stores were beloved by all.

Macy's is a boring store, no matter what city you're in.
    Too many overpriced store brands, and everything looks the same.

• justaguy Out There in, WI
    Aug. 25, 2011 12:53 p.m.

@MoJules: Ah, the Correll Wear unbreakable guaranty. They may be able to survive being dropped but I know from personal experience that they don't do well when thrown. Good times, good times.

• SLC gal Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 4:43 p.m.

I'm so glad they are bringing back the facade. It will feel a little like coming home to see that the next time I'm downtown!!

• OnlyInUtah Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 25, 2011 6:21 p.m.

It just wouldn't be Downtown Salt Lake without the ZCMI facade!

• bobosmom small town, Nebraska
    Dec. 24, 2011 6:26 p.m.

so glad they put the facade back up. Brings back memories. I remember ZCMI well. So sorry to hear of its demise. I haven't been back in years to slc, I bet it has changed a lot.