Police to continue search in Susan Powell case into Saturday

New info from older search warrant led detectives to Nevada

• durwood kirby South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 7:32 p.m.

I generally don't execute a "secrecy order" by inviting the media along for the ride.

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    Aug. 20, 2011 9:50 a.m.

I agree with jill17. We shouldn't be so judgmental of the how the case is being handled. Be patient, and see what happens next before posting all these negative comments.

• jill17 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 9:26 a.m.

I can't believe how many ungrateful posters are on this coment board! What do you guys want? An episode of CSI to play out within 24 hours of a west valley police news release? Come on! Just like Over the Top said: the police know exactly what they're doing. And judy cox, susans mother, said it best: that she is grateful this hasn't become a cold case. I couldn't agree more. Thank you west vally police for including the public in your search efforts. Thank you for keeping the case in the publics eye. Please continue to keep us informed, with whatever you are able to share, despite negative comments. And thank you for allowing the media on your search in ely.

• coach hines Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 7:47 a.m.

seriously josh, can you have dad watch the kids and come back at least ONE WEEKEND a month to help police and volunteers look for your wife, you know the mother to your children?

have you or your wife been to ely in the last 20 years?
    why did you rent a car and travel so far? was if for business, pleasure?
    if you think your wife ran off with someone, can you provide a list of possible names or aquaintences of individuals she knew from work or church that she would 'run off' with so police can follow up?
    can you suggest any scenario of foul play that should be investigated to clear your name a person of intrest?

i guess what myself and others want is not to point the finger at you or convict you without a trial, we want you to roll up your sleeves and be aggressively active in finding this woman-your wife! please josh come help the police and the volunteers

• My2Cents Kearns, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 4:37 a.m.

Pathetic news media, they have done the bidding of the WVC police once again. Without knowing why or for what reason, the news media is creating more tabloid journalism.

These news media in Utah makes the weekly tabloids look like legitimate news reporters with legitimate facts. Utah has no shame in its police departments and how thoughtlessly they are using the media to create hate and persecution, something Utah has honed to a fine art.

• Shawnm750 West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 1:16 a.m.

@Moderate - He put several hundred miles on his rental car in a very short time. If I recall, it was like over 400 miles. Plus this article is obviously not recapping many of the other sordid details surround Josh's whereabouts and activities in the days surrounding Susan's disappearance, like the fact he was practically thrown out of a bar for yelling at a waitress a day or so after she went missing.

While I don't think the police needed to have all the UT media come to Ely, I understand they're reasoning for letting them know that they're still working on the case. I think they could have held a press conference here in UT, and that would have helped deflate all the hype that got built up around they're activities in NV.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 20, 2011 1:00 a.m.

You are absolutely right Over The Top, the cops know exactly what they are doing by using the media like they are. And they sure aren't using the media just to satisfy the curiosity of a few commenters on the Deseret News comments board.

I would imagine they have something very solid, and they also said it came from some kind of search related to Josh Powell. I would imagine WVC PD is sending a message to Powell. And I would imagine he knows exactly what the cops have, seeing as he has already reacted to it. After all, why would he break his media silence right now, saying that anyone that knows him knows that he would never hurt anyone?

Yep, if the cops were looking for a reaction from him they sure got it.

• Christy Beaverton, OR
    Aug. 20, 2011 12:35 a.m.

What a complete joke that 'press conference' was. Driving out of Utah this morning, my daughter and I waited for 2 hours to hear what was up. At 10 o'clock, what did we hear? "I'm gonna go change my clothes so I don't get 'em dirty, and we're gonna search some areas around here, and you're all welcome to come with."

What the what?

• Over the Top Rigby, ID
    Aug. 19, 2011 9:21 p.m.

Everyone is complaining about how inept the WVC PD appears to be. I disagree.
    Assume they were carrying on this investigation without notifying any of the media. It would eventually become apparent - even leak out somehow - that the WVC PD was in the Ely area conducting extensive searches, and then the cry would be "why isn't the WVC PD more open with the Susan Powell investigation?". So the WVC PD has invited the media to be involved.
    I even think they have some concrete evidence, which they obviously can't share to preserve the integrity of the case, but need recover the body before they can charge the appropriate individual. I like to believe they are close. Notice they haven't told the media to go home, and they have even said that today was a success. At least if they do find her, the media won't have to drop everything to go to Ely - they're already there.

Aug. 19, 2011 8:37 p.m.

Oh Utah, here you go again....

• Thomas Smith Sandy, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 7:15 p.m.

"Police have repeatedly said Josh Powell has been uncooperative with their efforts"... Josh is a 'Person of Interest'. Cooperating with the police on even a traffic ticket will likely get you convicted. Police are skillful at "Making a case". Time and Time again, the law enforcement just wants "closure". Any Closure! The DA needs a conviction. I would not even talk to the police about a lost dog. Josh is at least as wise.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 6:08 p.m.

"What has Josh given as an explanation for renting a vehicle and driving it a few hundred miles around the time of Susan's disappearance?"

I don't know what explanation Josh gave, but the police impounded his vehicle to search for evidence. He rented a car to get around. Why is that unreasonable?

• DaveRL OGDEN, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 5:22 p.m.

They got a lot of folks hopes up for no good reason. They have a called press conference with no information to give, lame.

• guswetrust Cebterville, Utah
    Aug. 19, 2011 5:18 p.m.

This makes me think again too, of how Josh does not permit his kids to have anything to do with their Cox grandparents or family. One day the kids will resent that. Why not let them be loved by all?

• ClarkKent Bountiful, Utah
    Aug. 19, 2011 3:34 p.m.

Utah law enforcement really never surprises me any more. If the police sincerely believe they will find evidence in their search efforts, why are they inviting third party media to be present and potentially mess up their evidence field. This is like a gift from heaven to anyone involved in her disappearance.

• Globetrecker Arlington, va
    Aug. 19, 2011 3:21 p.m.

• utecougar Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 2:02 p.m.

This article is by far the most informative one I've seen today. Good work, News.

• Motappin Sandy, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 1:07 p.m.

I remember reading about Josh telling a friend at a party years ago that a mine shaft would be the best place to hide a body. And now here they are, checking mine shafts.

• bookonwomen Beverly Hills, CA
    Aug. 19, 2011 12:40 p.m.

Way to totally lay an egg West Valley PD. What a joke!

• VocalLocal Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 12:28 p.m.

I'm afraid that this will likely lead to nothing. The fact that Josh Powell was confident enough to answer questions from the press the day of the announced 'lead' makes me suspect that this is in fact not the location where Susan Powell is likely to be located.

• coco_sweet Sandy, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 12:22 p.m.

Wish they had a cadaver dog (or borrow one). It would help narrow the search at least.

• zer28 Ogden, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 11:19 a.m.

"Hey media, we have something for you, but we can't tell you about it because of a gag order. But if you come over here, you'll see for yourself....wink wink....nudge nudge....STOMP STOMP!!!"

Sounds like they're trying to tell the media without actually "telling" the media. Must be juicy....

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:56 a.m.

Wow, talk about a media event. Unbeliveable how this has been handled.

• orange2004 OGDEN, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:54 a.m.

I really meant to spell PRAY not prey!

• Weber State Graduate Clearfield, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:49 a.m.

It's hard to understand why officials would call a press conference and then give out no information, unless they are using the media to flush something or "someone" out. Otherwise, it sure makes investigators look like a bunch of idiots who enjoy the spotlight.

• EgbertThrockmorton Layton, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:33 a.m.

I sincerely hope that they can finally find her.I find it interesting that they have invited the media to the search sites, obviously, this is designed to increase the pressure on Joshua Powell,so I'm guessing someone rolled over on him-finally.

• orange2004 OGDEN, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:32 a.m.

Why have a news conference with nothing to say other then, we are here to follow a lead! Couldn't they tell the media that in other ways.... hundreds of people listen by internet, radio and TV for nothing! I hope and prey this is a good lead!

• bassiley Provo, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:29 a.m.

So did they basically invite the media out because they couldn't find enough volunteers to help search for Susan? One of the most pathetic investigative cases I have seen in years--communicate with the public!