Utah

West Valley police investigating possible Nevada lead in Susan Cox Powell case

Comments

• Serenity Manti, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 10:00 a.m.

This is a tragic story. Whether Susan Powell is dead or alive, the children are the ones who suffer. If she is dead, then they will have to live with the fact that their mother was murdered; if alive, then she ran away from them and deserted them. This story is very unsettling at best. I hope the Ely story has some constructive evidence.

• Plebeius Holladay, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 9:57 a.m.

Ok I buy that he took his kids camping when no other human would with very small children, I believe that a day after his wife goes missing he rented a car to drive hundreds of miles for a scenic drive, I believe she disappeared with out any means of transportation or financial support. I buy that she would abandon the children who were her everything. Because I believe in this idealistic thought of innocent until a court can convince a jury of poor thinking imbeciles that a person is guilty. (AKA OJ who we all know he was innocent (tongue in cheek on above comments))
    Those who keep bashing those who have judged Josh for what ever reason are pretty self rightoues yourself. You are a fool to believe anything he says.
    The ones I feel for the most are the children because they're going to be raised thinking Mom abandoned them and taught to think crazy thoughts by a warped father and a delusional grand father.
    I do not think he will ever get convicted but I think and hope some day he will be punished most likely by his own children.

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 9:54 a.m.

Josh Powell may be innocent regarding his wife's disappearance. But why would he hinder an investigation rather than help? Why is he not too concerned about his wife's well-being? The answers to these questions do not mean he is guilty, but it does suggest Josh Powell is as cold and self-centered as they come.

• Rufio Saratoga, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 8:51 a.m.

I am still troubled by one of the "facts" - not that Josh took two sons camping, not that it was December, cold, snowy and into the desert. I have a problem with a father doing all the above at midnight. Boys of that age would have had to been woken up to travel in a car, and quickly fell back to sleep without knowing where they were actually during the "trip" - which is real opportunity for Josh.

Truth will come out eventually!

• full disclosure Providence, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 7:53 a.m.

"With that same judgement that ye judge, ye shall also be judged." I don't know what happened, no clue. It is a very bizzare story and stranger things have happened. the point is none of you know either. Why not wait to reserve judgement until after everything is brought forth. Is it because you want to be the first to tell your friends that you were right and in some way you feel validated? Just wondering.

• My2Cents Kearns, UT
    Aug. 19, 2011 4:50 a.m.

They want to keep the public informed? What lies they tell, it's more like an attempt to incite the public to riot on possible false information or information that may clear the husband. I wonder how the police will apologize if they are falsely accusing the husband?

The police should be more careful about how they release and accuse "people of interest" to the public and news media, we might think they are trying to put an innocent man in jail on another one of their "hunches". And the DN, the tabloid it is, has taken the bite hook line and sinker to publicly ridicule a possible innocent man at the request of the police department.

• Ms.Brownstein Tucson, AZ
    Aug. 19, 2011 1:18 a.m.

Although I no longer live in SLC, I visit family frequently. I was up there when Josh allegedly took his kids "camping". I remember how intensely freezing cold it was that day/night. Camping smaping!
    I think the police are trying to not arrest Josh until they have enough evidence and maybe they are waiting for him to slip up. Nobody wants a "Casey Anthony" type of situation. Maybe if the police had waited a while on that one, she would have been convicted.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Aug. 18, 2011 11:27 p.m.

I just hope that the truth comes out and let the pieces fall where they may after that.

• BobP Port Alice, B.C.
    Aug. 18, 2011 10:40 p.m.

Josh has no duty to prove his innocence. He would be a fool to try. Guilty or innocent never ever talk to the police.

• On the other hand Spanish Fork, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 9:01 p.m.

@Anti Bush-Obama, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's been any official report of Josh Powell trying to leave the country. I don't have a whole lot of respect for the guy, but when criticizing him, let's at least stick to the facts.

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    Aug. 18, 2011 8:07 p.m.

How long does it take to book Josh? He won't cooperate with the investigation and he is trying to leave the country. Can you say scott peterson anyone?

• VocalLocal Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 7:22 p.m.

@ClarkKent I'm not too worried that I've made a mistake about suspecting Josh. I think the chances of her disappearing on her own or from someone else as very, very remote in light of the evidence. I guess there is some remote possibility that Josh really could have decided to go camping with his little children in sub-freezing temperatures at midnight, 'forgetting' it was work day the next day. And in spite of Susan having no car and having left no record of communicating with anyone (cellphone or computer) after Josh decided to leave (and therefore no way she could have planned in advance) and there being no sign of a break in that she could have either left or been taken. But really? If it was Susan she was very, very good at leaving no phone records, computer trail or financial transactions that would have revealed her get-away. If it was some other criminal it's remarkable he got to her in the few hours between midnight when Josh left and morning AND left no sign of breaking in or otherwise taking her away.

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    Aug. 18, 2011 6:28 p.m.

Someone in the state of Washington at this moment is searching all the travel websites for flights to countries that don't have extradition treaties with the United States; just a hunch.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Aug. 18, 2011 6:27 p.m.

"ClarkKent | 5:56 p.m. Aug. 18, 2011
    Bountiful, Utah
    I feel for the people who have been serving as Josh Powell's judge and jury -- I have a feeling they have a lot of repenting to do."

With his efforts to disparage and denigrate the woman, he opened himself up, it is fair game. If he can dish it out, he can take it.

• ClarkKent Bountiful, Utah
    Aug. 18, 2011 5:56 p.m.

• No name Provo, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 5:32 p.m.

If Josh really is innocent he sure isn't making much of an effort to prove it. What real man would resist helping the police look for their wife, even if they weren't on the best terms? And then refuses to let the grandfather of his children anywhere near them? One would think that something as horrible as this would bring the family closer together to find the truth,not to pack up and move as soon as possible. For someone who doesn't want to draw much attention to himself he's done some pretty stupid things. If he is guilty they'll get him. He'll have left some kind of evidence behind. My thoughts are with the family. I hope police can give them some kind of closure soon

• VocalLocal Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 5:29 p.m.

I really think it is a bad move on the part of the police to announce a vague lead like this. I can't imagine what would be gained but it seems there would be a rush for people involved to hide evidence and/or they could lose credibility if it turns out to be nothing.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Aug. 18, 2011 5:19 p.m.

"What would you expect the paper to say... that they found the body and have Josh under arrest and in jail?"

Actually, yes. I don't see the point in announcing that they have a lead with no details about the lead.

• Poppa Alan Fruit Heights, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 3:50 p.m.

The media and newspapers didn't release this information. It came from West Valley Police and they don't release 'teaser' information. They've already got their information and will release it at their news conference. The guilty will be brought to justice.

• ImaCaMan Redlands, CA
    Aug. 18, 2011 3:41 p.m.

Isn't this the same guy that after he took his kids "camping" in the middle of the night in single digit temperatures he returned and took his mattress to the dump?

• unaffiliated_person Saratoga Springs, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 3:28 p.m.

I wouldn't worry if he runs to Canada. Check out the Treaty with Canada on Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters, 1985-03-18. He would get picked up by the RCMP fairly quickly and shipped on back. I think what amazes me is how his family protects him (except his sister). I recall that with the Hackings and the Lehi church shooting case, the family of the murderers did not try to protect them, but rather encouraged and/or brought them to the police themselves.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 3:12 p.m.

I heard they felt a slight tremor in Washington state today?

• Alfred Miami, Fla
    Aug. 18, 2011 3:05 p.m.

@BoomerJeff:

"... since the article said nothing about nothing, I'll let my imagination fly :) Thanks for the informative article."

• HawaiiPride SARATOGA SPRINGS, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 2:49 p.m.

Truth.....If he doesn't, now he will. I hope Police in Josh's area are undercover scoping his house and his every move.

• SpanishImmersed Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 18, 2011 2:01 p.m.

Susan has passed from this world, while her murderer like the perpetrators of thousands of other unsolved murders roam free the rest of their lives.

Justice on the earth is nowhere near perfect, so we must have faith in the eternal justice system.

Hopefully, Susan's remains can come home to her family soon.

• justcap Provo, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 2:00 p.m.

Too bad Josh is in Washington, that much closer to the border. Wouldn't be surprised if he is already up in British Columbia by now.

• Jack-P West Valley, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 1:41 p.m.

A lot of media hype with no real information yet. Could it be that the police have nothing at all and are just watching for a possible reaction from Josh Powell? Why not just wait 'till after the "search" to make an announcement?

• inmyopinion88 WEST JORDAN, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 12:57 p.m.

I wonder why the WV Police didn't inform Susan's family of the possible "lead". They would have just needed to make a quick phone call and say we don't want you to find out through the media....... this said I hope the police find that they need to bring closure to Susan's family. I also hope they are keeping a watch on Josh Powell so he doesn't try to run to Canada requiring a long and laborious legal fight to get him back to the USA to face charges.

• Grammy3 SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 12:53 p.m.

I pray for the family that they can have closer in this case. My sister was murdered almost eight years ago. Nothing has happened to her estranged husband. Because of the lack of evidence he is still a free man. There was so much evidence in the domestic violence that took place in their home and other places but because they can not say he was the one who gave her the drugs that were in her drink he is a free man. We could have taken him in to a civil court and won but her children did not want that and I totally respect them for that. So when I hear of things like this of course the first thing I think of is that her husband has something to do with this. I am grateful that the police is following up on this because this is the one thing that felt in my sister's case is that the Police did not care that much about making sure the this evil man went to trial or in fact spent anytime behind bars. Good luck to those who are trying to find the answers to all of this.

• BoomerJeff Saint George, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 12:24 p.m.

Maybe Josh was right after all, Susan spilled the Hawaiian punch, put a fan there to make it look like she was abducted, and is now living in Ely with her new boyfriend. . . since the article said nothing about nothing, I'll let my imagination fly :) Thanks for the informative article.

• HugeJazzFan Layton, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 12:16 p.m.

So - after the four year old's comments after mom disappeared - any idea how many mines are in Ely?

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 12:09 p.m.

The night she disappeared, the family went on a camping trip-------and it was below zero degrees temperature.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 11:45 a.m.

If they need any help.......I know I will be there in a new york minute...can't say the same for Josh....which is telling!

• JSO SLC, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 11:36 a.m.

Makes you wonder what the police's strategy is here. They wouldn't make a press release just because. Maybe they are watching the suspect to see what they do once the news gets out or are going to follow someone with key evidence. They must need something in order to announce this before they've actually found anything.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 11:33 a.m.

@Allen#1 9:25

I could not agree more. I remember during the time of Elizabeth Smart's disappearance, the press jumped the gun more than once about "possible leads" that ended up leading nowhere.

I know a lot of people are following this case, but the media still needs to show some responsibility in not over-hyping information like this.

• Lyle Springville, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 11:13 a.m.

I think we'd all like to hear that they found her selling keno tickets in Ely, but I am afraid that's not likely.

"Several hundred" rental car miles would have gotten Josh to Ely and back (236 miles each way), so maybe his goose has begun to cook.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    Aug. 18, 2011 10:40 a.m.

I am fairly sure that Josh is sweating bullets right about now, provided that is where her body is. I doubt she has been hiding there. It would be nice if they could get this case closed and the right person in prison, assuming it is a murder.

• mominthetrenches South Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 18, 2011 10:07 a.m.

I'm with Flames6! Can't imagine, though, that a mother with 2 small children and family that loves her would disappear without any further contact, though, for a year and a half to a place like Ely!!! Hoping they solve this bizarre case for the family and children's sake...

• Linda A Orem, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 10:01 a.m.

@cjb ... a lie detector test will prove nothing and as an innocent person, I would personally refuse. That doesn't mean I am guilty. They are not effective enough to be admissible as evidence in a courtroom because there are still too many variables (which is why guilty persons can pass them, and innocents can fail).

• Rob Logan, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 9:43 a.m.

I hope they can find her and bring her back to her family and justice will be served. How sad that little kids will never know their Mom who loved them so much.

• EJM Herriman, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 9:34 a.m.

I just hope that they know where the body is and that there can be closure.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 9:34 a.m.

Perhaps the police should offer to pay for Josh to take a lie detector test. Make the offer public and let him know that since he is innocent, here is the chance to clear his name with the public, they should let him know its the least they can do to help an innocent person out.

• Flames6 North Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 9:33 a.m.

The story didn't say Susan is buried there. Strange twist if she has been hiding there.

• Skippy West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 9:32 a.m.

I hope they locate Josh first, and then start to check out this new lead.

• Kathleen3 WARMINSTER, PA
    Aug. 18, 2011 9:32 a.m.

If this mother was murdered one has to wonder how the person who committed the crime is capable of going to sleep each night. One has to believe a murderer must be devoid of a conscience.

• Allen#1 West Valley, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 9:25 a.m.

I think it is irresponsible for an agency to release "teaser" information. Don't get people's hope up until something positive is discovered.

• splitme2 West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 9:18 a.m.

I sure hope this leads to something more than a wild goose chase. I bet Josh is really nervous about now!