Blue roundup: Notre Dame AD offers advice to BYU

• Jens Bloomquist Forks, WA
    Aug. 19, 2011 11:27 a.m.

fresnogirl | 9:47 p.m. Aug. 17, 2011 Fresno, CA writes:
    Jens Bloomquist

There are some Cougars who say garbage on the Ute boards as well. I hope that you will call them on it when you see it as several Utes today have called Chris B. on his garbage.
    If you actually read my post (which you apparently did not) you would have seen that it was entirely about the actions of Ute fans at games. All this message board stuff is "lip service" and accomplishes nothing. So some anonymous poster called "Fresno Girl" said Chris B shouldn't say stuff. Did she stop? Of course not. Because it DOES NOT MATTER. Stop Ute "fans" from throwing beer on players' parents. That would help.

When a BYU fan jumped out of the stands in Provo and attacked a Ute cheerleader, BYU kicked him out -- not just of the stadium but of the school. And they banned him from returning to the stadium. As soon as ANYONE (really, ANYONE) associated with the University of Utah is willing to actually punish the misbehavers nothing will ever change and you will NEVER convince me that there is any "class" at the U.

• Mr. Bojangles Saint George, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 4:25 p.m.

I disagree with duckhunter.. chris b is like most anti-mormon utah fans. Most lds utah fans aren't against byu even if they root against their football team. Some people don't like BYU football and many just don't like mormons.. And the latter should probably leave because that isnt the issue here (of course, I just brought it up, so maybe I'm just as bad..oh well)

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 1:48 p.m.

Veritas --

Notre Dame = religious affiliation
    BYU = religious affiliation

ND = independent football program
    BYU = independent football program

ND = high academic standards
    BYU = high academic standards

ND = national following
    BYU = national following

ND = quality football program
    BYU = quality football program

I think you are safe to link BYU and Notre Dame.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Aug. 18, 2011 1:03 p.m.

Sounds impressive... and very sound advice coming from ND's athletic director. BYU with ESPN on it's side and a 6 year commitment with Notre Dame can afford to sit back and just take care of the business it already has on it's plate.....namely the 2011 schedule. They are in the best position marketability wise that they have ever been in. BYU only needs to focus on the 2011 schedule primarily and the continuation of it's scheduling for 2012 and 2013 down the road...plus... maintaining and improving it's recruiting base nationally and locally...which by the looks of the ongoing 2011 campaign it is. What A&M's impact is going to be on the Big 12 has yet to be seen. I'm not worried...and I'm sure BYU isn't either In fact I'm going to watch the hilights from the 1996 Pigskin Classic game against A&M and listen to Garth Brooks sing "Against The Grain"...and Fever. It's time to clean the grill and get fired up for some football.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Aug. 18, 2011 10:24 a.m.

Chris B | 9:53 a.m. Aug. 17, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    honor code equals very little diversity, very few athletes, and no BCS games

Chris, so I can just get what you said straight...

--If you are of African descent, you are more athletic, and prone to lying, cheating, drinking, and sleeping around?

If that is correct, I don't think that Ute fans need to apologize for you. I do not even fathom that you are representing any group.

To even post what you have been posting for humor, or even be it lack of intelligence, sheds a poor light on every member of the human race.

On topic:

Several times it has been stated not to mention BYU and Notre Dame in the same sentence.

Because the AD of Notre Dame has now aligned his school with BYU, is it OK for everyone to agree that BYU and Notre Dame are now linked, the same way that Utah and other Pac-12 schools are?

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Aug. 18, 2011 10:12 a.m.

Keep your eyes open next time Utah play at LES. I have seen my brother in law spit on and my grandfather hit by food (pizza) thrown by a Y fan. No BYU supporters stepped up in an attempt to keep their own in line. Stuff happens at both stadiums. If you don't believe it, you're simply naive.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    Aug. 18, 2011 9:42 a.m.

Actually I'm rather glad that both Utah and BYU aren't so called Big Time Programs...especially Big Time programs like Miami...USC...Ohio State...Oregon and Florida State... having Big Time problems like they're having of late. I like that both Utah and BYU are going against the grain...They'll both come out better for it.

• DeLoss Dodds CHICAGO, IL
    Aug. 18, 2011 8:50 a.m.

It's Big 12 time BYU....Welcome!

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 10:53 p.m.

"Just deal with the consequences and stop pretending to be a big-time program. You're not."

So your saying ESPN did not get the memo? Or "this is your life" recently highlighted you in the Geico commercial of the guy who has been living under a rock for the past 40 years or so.

"Noway!?! Hey hedgehog ... check this out ..."

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 10:15 p.m.

Ah, Chris B...

You are SOOOOO young and inexperienced. You list 4 teams that have gone to a total of 7 BCS games, yet NOT ONE national championship in the bunch. The BCS just isn't for determining a fair national champion, just a political one. Back in the old days there were two teams that had undefeated seasons from the original WAC. One was Arizona State, the other was BYU. One team finished 2nd in the polls at the end of the bowls and the other won the National Championship. Then this squirrley thing called the BCS was formed and EVERY YEAR they look really stupid in some regard. One year they didn't let undefeated Utah play for the title, as an example. How can you praise the mighty BCS? They stink.

Folks used to say BYU didn't have enough black players to win the conference; they won numerous conference titles and a national championship. They have too many "returned missionaries" to be competitive. San Diego State University now claims that is an unfair advantage for BYU....go figure.

You are just a typical "sour grapes" fan that can't stand BYU. That's OK, we all understand that, very well!

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Aug. 17, 2011 9:47 p.m.

Jens Bloomquist

• Jens Bloomquist Forks, WA
    Aug. 17, 2011 6:32 p.m.

All you have to do is attend a BYU-at-Utah game. Once you do, you will see that there is a LARGE contingent of Ute fans who simply lack any semblance of class. All they wish to do is disparage the religion and the lifestyle of the opponent. They live for it.

And you'll also notice that there is a total of ZERO Ute fans who are willing to rise up and do anything about it. When the so-called classy portion of Ute fans becomes willing to step up and do something other than give lip service -- maybe then the rivalry can become civilized. As long as those who believe themselves to be classy sit on their hands it will never change.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 5:07 p.m.

I appreciate that Dutchman and I'll tell you what I think is the main difference between me and those who we won't name. 1st of all they are simple haters and I am not. I really enjoy getting a rise out of Utah fans at times but I really do not wish anything but good for the University of Utah. I do not believe that to be the case as far as those 3 go when it comes to BYU.

That said I have to disagree with fresnogirl to an extent. There really is a segment of utah fans, I do not believe it to be a majority by any means, but a sizable enough segment to be easily noticed, that are absolute haters of BYU. Now it could very well be they are Utah fans simply because it gives them another venue to use to spread their message, so the extent of their 'fandom' can certainly be debated, but they exist in large enough numbers to be a factor.

But as always, for the guys like you, or UU32 or motorbike or pocyute, I know you are good guys, I know plenty of Utah fans just like you.

• Judge Smailes Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 4:32 p.m.

Chris B is a closet BYU fan and he loves to get everyone all fired up! It's great!

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 4:24 p.m.

"after having to read chris b's, wedgie's, howie's, etc. posts on BYU articles I was inspired to return the favor."

Cardinal rule: Never point to bad behavior to justify bad behavior.

And besides I really don't believe your posts are in the same category as theirs. They are in a world of their own. I have actually gained some insights from some of your posts although you can get edgy at times.

• CaptainL PROVO, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 4:20 p.m.

I appreciate the civility of the comments on this comment board, thank you to all the Ute fans that have been more positive. Keep it up and lets enjoy the season. I hope both teams do well and if BYU goes 12 & 0 and the utes 11 & 1 I'd be happy. Go cougs.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 4:19 p.m.

Both BYU and Utah should be in BCS conferences. If independance affords BYU the same access to BCS bowl games and a shot at the BCS championship game that other BCS conference schools have then that is a good thing. No one should be excluded from a shot at the ultimate prize. Having said that, I look forward to the day when both schools have a "BCS type" football schedule so half of the season is not a waste. BYU playing half a WAC schedule, though necessary in year 1 of independance, is not ideal for their team or their fans. Both deserve much better than that.

• Mountainman56 Alpine, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 4:11 p.m.

UU32 | 10:27 a.m. Aug. 17, 2011

Congratulations - best post ever on a BYU article from a Ute fan! Dutchman and Motorbike and several others also had intelligent comments to add to the discussion unlike anything we've ever seen from Chris and a few others of his ilk. Apparently Chris and his group will never understand that BYU will not sacrifice it's standards in order to try to reach higher levels of success athletically or in any other pursuit. In fact, it would likely lower the success levels at BYU because we would then lose out on the ability to attract as many top level athletes who want the environment BYU provides. We only need to look at the Crowton years to see the results of bringing in athletes who weren't committed to the honor code. Not only did the football program experience the worst results they've seen in over 30 years but numerous team members created major distractions and embarrassment for the team and the university. We don't want or need to ever go down that road again.

• The Deuce Livermore, CA
    Aug. 17, 2011 3:43 p.m.

To: Chris B | 12:17 p.m. Aug. 17, 2011 Salt Lake City, UT - First of all, every program that I have seen has rules and a form pf an honor code. You see it all the time when a player is dismissed from a team for not following teams rules. I would ask for you to contact each of those teams that you have noted and confirm with them that they have no "Team Rules" or "Honor Code". I am afraid you would find that each do. Now, BYU may have a more defined honor code than others and those not of the LDS faith may not simply want to attend a school with such a religious influence. Yes, this would have an impact on recruiting. So does the small town environment of Boise State compared with that of Los Angeles (UCLA, USC). Each school has their own challenges when it comes to recruiting. Second, you relate diversity to speed. I am not quite sure where you come up with this comparison. Most coaches look for speed over diversity. Put up the shovel and quit digging the hole deeper on this one.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Aug. 17, 2011 3:38 p.m.

I'm beginning to think that all DNews has to do is write an article about nothing, but mention BYU, and the Comment board becomes a juvenile bashing post.

Very few of the comments on this article have had anything to do with the article's content.

I think this is what defines a rivalry. Right?

You can't get much deeper than religious hatred. Even politics pales by comparison.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    Aug. 17, 2011 3:32 p.m.

I am not one to say that BYU isn't a big-time program unless and until it wins a BCS game, but it sure would be nice if they did. BYU, of all non-AQ programs, should have been the first to bust the BCS, and I don't want to hear any excuses about how they created the BCS because of BYU, and 1996, blah, blah, blah. There have been some particularly disappoining losses to Florida State, TCU, and Utah recently, in otherwise fantastic seasons, in which BYU's performance was excessively lacking in one way or another. I understand that no team can be perfect year after year, but it seems like BYU has blown a lot of chances over the years since 1984. I really hope they get it together and make it to a BCS game within the next three years. There's really no reason why they couldn't.

• Sloppyj30 Saint Louis, MO
    Aug. 17, 2011 3:28 p.m.

I love how CB seems to be arguing against a point that no-one else seems to have made in the first place. You state that BYU is the least diverse team in the country. NO . . IT ISN'T TRUE!! Well, OK. You win. What exactly you win, I don't know, but you have apparently made some type of point. (Can someone clarify for me?)

Whether BYU is "big time" or not is all relative. If you only want to rely your criteria, (no recent NC's, no BCS games, a whole bunch of caucasians) to make this determination, then you win again.

You're keen on facts and what they imply. If that's really so, you'd have to agree that a LOT of more "diverse" programs would be keen on consistent top-20 years and bowl appearances, solid ratings for past televised games and a significant long-term commitment from ESPN. Why is honor-code-burdened BYU so frequently more successful than 85% of the other programs out there?

If the HC is as much of an obstacle as you say it is, you should be impressed that the slow-footed married Zoobs have managed to finish above .500 most years.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 3:24 p.m.

You haven't been paying much attention to these message boards over the last year if you don't believe that Ute fans have been singing the praises of the BCS ever since they were invited to join the cartel. And if you really believe Utah is going to bite the hand that feeds it and try to "ruin the BCS from the inside" you are naive. Whittingham and Hill may state publicly that they would like to see a playoff, but that is just lip service. Now, to be fair, most BYU fans, if they are being honest, would love to trade places with Utah. Most BYU fans want to see BYU get into the Big 12 even though it is an unstable conference that will continue to be poached by other conferences looking to become "super conferences". But the difference I see is that there are so many Ute fans who feel so smug and superior now because they are in a BCS conference that they want to end the rivalry with BYU because it is beneath them now. Well, they are going to find out on Sep. 17th just how untrue that really is.

• ExecutorIoh West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 3:00 p.m.

The special treatment would have to be fixed and a balanced distribution of conference money to happen for BYU to accept a potential invite to the Big 12. That conference is jacked up.

• gb13 Herriman, Utah
    Aug. 17, 2011 2:29 p.m.

Lie. Cheat. Steal. Kill. Do these traits sound good to you? These are the leading standards of those "without" practiced ethics or an honor code. As one who once considered professional athletics as a career, I have never envisioned associating on the field or in the gym with others (no matter how skilled or talented they are athletically)that did not adhere or respect some type of an honor code. Athletics (to me) is the epitome of fair play. Those that disrespect ethics or disparage an honor code certainly (in my opinion)disrespect athletics in general. (Maintaining an attitude of "winning, no matter what the cost.") These people should not be allowed to "infect" others (especially our youth, who we are training for life, through athletics) with an offensive display of depraved and irresponsible remarks or attitudes. Else why would we even submit to the rules of the game(s)? Those that don't submit to these rules would "love" a standard without ethics (or an honor code)- but only until they got "taken advantage of." Then they would be screaming "foul," detesting that others did not play fair and lacked the ethics of which we speak.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 2:28 p.m.

Best bunch of comments minus just a couple that I've seen in a long time.
    I'd love to see the rivalry get under control and be more like this comment board today.
    Here's hoping BYU can help bring the BCS down from the outside and that Utah will help bring it down from the inside.

• man of few words Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 2:20 p.m.

As a Ute, I even get tired of chris, hedgehog, etc and their ridiculous posts. Please do not lump the rest of us in with those few. Chris admitted that he never even attended my school!

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Aug. 17, 2011 2:08 p.m.

Sorry Duckhunter -- I've got to disagree with you. I've lived most of my adult life in either Utah or Salt Lake Counties. I've met far more UU32s than Chris Bs.

In fact, the only time I ever heard anyone spew his type of childish rhetoric is on these boards. I'm not saying they aren't out there, but I never met one in the 4 years I lived in Salt Lake and I never hid the fact that I'm a BYU fan.

Please keep in mind that rude people are always the loudest -- they NEED to be heard. It's a self-esteem issue. We see that when a troll comes on and posts again and again on the same article trying to get a reaction. While it may make it seem like there are a ton of them, we can literally name our trolls -- there aren't that many after all.

• JonnyDanger HOUSTON, TX
    Aug. 17, 2011 2:03 p.m.

Oh Chris B. So many fallacies it is hard to know where to begin.

For one: Cause and effect. Did it cross your mind that perhaps "diversity" is not the ONLY reason that those teams you mentioned were/are successful? What about good coaching? How many of those BCS teams you mentioned had "diverse" coaches? Work ethic? Drive? A few lucky bounces? Having great athletes (once again-not dependent on "diversity") certainly plays a part, but is never the whole story. Otherwise the top-ranked recruiting class would win the NC every year.

Secondly, I can name MANY schools far more diverse that have never made it to, or even come close to a BCS game. Since you claim that BYU is the whitest school in all of football, you can take your pick of any of the 90 or so schools who haven't arrived in the BCS. By shear statistics it would seem that more schools that are more diverse have had LESS success than BYU...is that where you were trying to lead us?

Best of luck to Utah and BYU this year.

• billybubba South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 2:03 p.m.

I for one do not believe c.b. is a Utah fan just a BYU hater. Here's hoping for a great year BYU 12-0 Utah 11-1.

• billybubba South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 2:01 p.m.

I do not believe that c.b. is a Utah fan just a BYU hater. Here is hoping for a great season for both teams BYU 12-0 and Utah 11-1....

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 1:59 p.m.

RepresentBlue -

You said - "Two years ago these same Ute fans were wheeping and gnashing their teeth about the unfairness of the BCS. Now they are in the club they are drinking the kool-aid and "pointing the finger of scorn" at those they left behind."

Don't speak for Utah fans, it's clear you're drinking your own kool-aid.
    There are a lot of us Ute fans that are ecstatic to be included in the BCS because let's face it, being in is better than being out. But don't think for one minute the mission is over.
    The U, it's fans, it's coaches and a lot of others around the country now get to hope Utah can ruin the BCS from the inside.
    This is precisely why the article posted last week about Utah being the most important team in the country was dead on.
    Heaven forbid the U does well over the next few years, but that's exactly what you should be hoping for. It would make one heckuva point.
    Whittingham himself was still talking about a playoff system this very week.
    The "finger of scorn" you mentioned, is only pointed at fans like you who throw stones.

• Duckhunted highland, utah
    Aug. 17, 2011 1:46 p.m.

Please Chris B. is a troll!!! As a Utah fan I see BYU doing well and if 4 16 team super conferences happen BYU will be in one!

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 1:14 p.m.

"Best case - BYU has a great year in 2012 or 2013 with a senior QB and plays their way into a BCS bowl."

That is the bottom line. BYU has to make a big splash in the next 3-4 years whether they remain independent or not. Despite what Chris B. and his ilk say, BYU is loaded with talent for the next 3-4 years and Bronco and Co. need to make the most out of it. I know Bronco realizes this better than any of us, and I can't help but wonder if that is why he only signed a 3 year contract extension. That is his style - to hold himself accountable and not accept any entitlements.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 1:12 p.m.

I actually like it when chris b posts. He is a shining example of a fairly large segment of utah fans. I'm sorry UU32 and Motorbike because you both seem to be pretty good guys, but the truth is chris b represents a pretty substantial segment of utah fans.

I had never even read an article about utah athletics, let alone posted in one, until around a year ago but after having to read chris b's, wedgie's, howie's, etc. posts on BYU articles I was inspired to return the favor. He is the inspiration.

• The Deuce Livermore, CA
    Aug. 17, 2011 1:11 p.m.

To: Chris B | 9:53 a.m. Aug. 17, 2011 Salt Lake City, UT - As you are from SLC, one has to assume that you understand the ethics code of BYU. You imply that in order to be successful you have to throw out ethics. I am not sure this is the message you want to advertise. If this is your concept of life in the real world, I am afraid you are in for some rude experiences. There is tremendous diversity with people who have ethics in the way they conduct themselves and how they live their life. The basics of athletics teach these same principles. You have seen the issues come up when individuals cross this line. As one who travels the world for business, it is always a pleasure to see those individuals who say what they do and do what they say. In other words, those who live an ethical code of conduct in all they do. Funny thing is, these are typically the most successful people.

• Farid @ Pocatello Pocatello, ID
    Aug. 17, 2011 1:11 p.m.

This whole "diversity is better," as an absolute, is a canard. The "U" is no better for having it, and BYU no worse for not having it.

It's wonderful that some schools are steeped in diversity, with a confluence of different cultures, colors and ideas.

But it's just as wonderful when a group, organization, and yes, even a school, is of like mind and beliefs. Why is that bad?

I lived in Japan for three years while in the military and saw little diversity and the Japanese culture is one of the strongest and most vibrant in the world. America is highly diverse and is also a great nation.

Some people thrive on differences while others feel more comfortable being with people of similar values and thoughts, which in turn makes them stronger.

The University of Utah is diverse, and is stronger because of it. BYU's students are more uniform and share similar beliefs, and they are stronger because of it.

True diversity of thought accepts both schools as having positive influences on their students in different ways.

So, can't we all just get along????

• IDC Boise, ID
    Aug. 17, 2011 1:07 p.m.

I'm with Madden. I think that is the perfect scenario.

"But if the Big 12 did call and allowed BYUTV to keep its broadcasting rights, I couldn't help but think we should accept.

I'll embrace the upside of independence and enjoy it, but being part of a major conference has too many benefits to ignore. Best case - BYU has a great year in 2012 or 2013 with a senior QB and plays their way into a BCS bowl. Then in 2014 the Big 12 renegotiates their TV deal and expands, adding BYU and others.."

The other option would be if independence goes exceptionally well and BYU wins most of their games for BYU to stay independent.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 17, 2011 12:59 p.m.

Chris B

You still don't get it. Everyone disagreed with you and showed you exactly why you are wrong. Just because you want to still argue the point does little for your position.

You (and anyone who is disingenuous) are the only ones who do not except that BYU has been a top 25 program for the last 37 years. Read the people who vote in the standings year in and year out. Listen to commentators talk about BYU, and understand that BYU is a staple of college football.

Has BYU been to a BCS yet? No. A lot of top 25 programs haven't. The BCS is still young, and probably about to implode, so when you use that as the only measuring stick, your argument fails.

The BCS is not the only way to judge a program.

Just because you believe something to be a FACT does not make it so, and I am tired of you disparaging the athletes that are proving you wrong daily who are on the BYU football team who are white, black, brown, yellow, sometimes a little green and off color, and many times a little red from the sun.

• Madden Herriman, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 12:56 p.m.

As a Y fan, I am honestly torn. Independence is fun - I think the coverage and opponents overall will be better than anything we saw in the MWC, including bowl games (especially when keeping Utah and TCU on the schedule, and hopefully Air Force as well). But if the Big 12 did call and allowed BYUTV to keep its broadcasting rights, I couldn't help but think we should accept.

I'll embrace the upside of independence and enjoy it, but being part of a major conference has too many benefits to ignore. Best case - BYU has a great year in 2012 or 2013 with a senior QB and plays their way into a BCS bowl. Then in 2014 the Big 12 renegotiates their TV deal and expands, adding BYU and others...we got a few great years of independence and land safely in a much better situation than we had in the MWC/WAC.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 12:56 p.m.

Yes, but byu was not one of the best teams in the country that year. They were an average team with an excellent coach.

Unfortunately for byu, coaching has increased so much in the past 25 years that byu can at best get an average coach at this point, whereas Lavell was ahead of the game 30 years ago.

Still can't give me an example of a top team that has had as little diversity as byu?

Still waiting...

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 12:54 p.m.

"Your honor code is fine. Just deal with the consequences and stop pretending to be a big-time program. You're not."

You know, if you are right about the HC then I personally can accept the consequences just fine. I would rather see BYU keeps its HC and be like Army and Navy, then get rid of it and see it be like Miami or Ohio St, or even like BYU was during the Crowton years. But your perception of BYU and its level of success does not match reality. No, BYU has not been to a BCS bowl, but that is not the only measure of success for college football, despite Ute's fans claims to the contrary. BYU has consistently been a Top 25 program since the 1970's. They have finished ranked in the Top 25 of both the AP and Coaches poll 17 times since 1977. That works to to be every other year on average. Top 15, 9 times - every 4 years on average. Top 10, 3 times - every 10 years on average. And those are not all from the 80's either. Those stats hold up pretty well going back just 10 years as well.

• riddlemethis Clearfield, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 12:44 p.m.

Chris B:

Don't think we're too stupid to notice that you changed the word diversity from a code word for race to a code word for speed in between posts.

Not only do you play the race card you deal in from the bottom of the deck.

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 12:35 p.m.

Did the Y have the honor code the year they won the national football championship? I can't remember... ;)

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 12:17 p.m.

Some of you people need to calm down.

It's fine if byu wants to have an honor code.

I'm simply pointing out the FACT that with the honor code in place it is impossible to recruit enough "athletes" to be among the best in the nation.

Need proof?

TCU - no honor code - 2 BCS games
    Utah - no honor code 2 BCS games
    Hawaii - no honor code - BCS game
    Boise - no honor code - 2 BCS games
    byu - honor code - 0 BCS games

BYU is the whitest of any college football program I can think of.

Like it or not, it's impossible to have a top program with a top team without significant diversity(speed).

Please point me to an example of a TOP program or team in the country that has had as little diversity as byu.

Also a fact is that 99.9% of athletes don't want to live by byu's rules.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 12:11 p.m.

RepresentBlue - I am a realistic Utah fan, who also enjoys seeing BYU do well. I have degrees from both institutions and lived to the honor code standard while at both schools (except maybe growing a little stubble during my undergrad days because I was too lazy to shave).

One of the things that increasingly bothers me is that a small percentage of Utah and BYU fans have made the rivalry out to be LDS vs. non-LDS, honor code vs. no honor code, drunk bums vs. holier than thous. I find it to be comical and adverse to my experiences at both schools and as a ardent Utah fan. Most fans at both schools are great, respectful, even classy. We have more in common that we do not. It is just the vocal, and unthoughtful few that push the stereotypes.

I see no reason to not applaud both programs for the great positives each has. I have four athletic sons. I'd be happy to have them at either school playing for Bronco, Whitt, Krystko, Rose, Kinneberg or Law. Either place, hopefully, adhering to a strict moral code and being a shining example to those around them.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 12:06 p.m.

@ UU32 | 10:27 a.m. Aug. 17, 2011
    Bountiful, UT

Well said.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 12:02 p.m.

crisb is not a Utah fan. She uses the Utes as an excuse to bash BYU. She is looking for attention and seeks to raise contention and see how many responses she can get to her posts.
    We all keep falling for it.
    If you look at her comments as comedy then there is some good entertainment value. If you take her seriously, then you are probably wound a little to tightly...just my opinion.

motorbike and UU32,
    Thank you for being classy.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 12:00 p.m.

Cougar Fans:

Notre Dame's AD gives good advice. Embrace independence! Stop speculating about the Big 12 and stop looking for something better in order to keep up with the Utes. Two years ago these same Ute fans were wheeping and gnashing their teeth about the unfairness of the BCS. Now they are in the club they are drinking the kool-aid and "pointing the finger of scorn" at those they left behind. It is truly hilarious to watch. Let the Ute fans pound their chests about the BCS. The Cougars will still pound their team into the turf of LES on Sep. 17.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Aug. 17, 2011 11:56 a.m.

Chris B,

As a Ute fan I love your enthusiasm brother, but those types of posts are really unproductive. I do enjoy your posts when you speak to Utah's strengths, gaps and strategy.

Hopefully the classy BYU fans will also call out some of their own who go overboard with the hate and bashing of the U of U.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 11:50 a.m.

Well stated, sir. Are you sure you are not a BYU fan? From a competitive sports standpoint the HC is both a blessing and a curse, but from an institutional standpoint it is what BYU is all about and you cannot separate the two. Take away the HC from BYU and it would no longer be BYU except in name. It is the same reason why the service academies also have honor codes, and they are strictly enforced. And it does not prevent Army, Navy and Air Force from attracting athletes from diverse backgrounds. Chris B's assertion that an "honor code equals little diversity" smacks of racism to me, and it is demonstrably false. With all the national media attention on it's honor code recently BYU has actually seen an increase in the number of non-LDS and non-Caucasion athletes who are interested in BYU. They come from religious, conservative families and they WANT to go some place that shares those same values. This will only increase as BYU gains more national exposure through ESPN.

• Old Gregg Alpine, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 11:42 a.m.

@ Chris B

Coach Whitt lives the honor code......So are you saying he is not top noch in his position?

A lot of players at the U live the honor code, are they not athletes? I think the U team in general would not like your comment that just because they have standards means they aren't athletes. Tell that to Eric Weddle.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Aug. 17, 2011 11:40 a.m.

Chris B

You're funny. Consistent and funny.

• roswell Saint George, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 11:22 a.m.

Also, in response to Chris B., I firmly believe that BYU's honor code will ultimately bring BYU out of the mediocrity of 'pretty good teams' to a consistent ranking in top 10-15 of the nation. I believe the committments for the next couple of years are demonstrating that. Time will tell.

• riddlemethis Clearfield, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 11:19 a.m.

Chris B:

How's that diversity working out for you in National Championships and winning basketball seasons?

• flynn is the coolest Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 11:04 a.m.

@ Chris B-

BYU's Ezekiel Ansah- OLB, 6'6", 270 lbs, 4.3 40.

Any U linemen run that fast? How about CB's, RB's or WR's? Didn't think so. Anyone that big run that fast in the US- just name one- I dare you.

I think this calls for one your 'nuff said's.

• truthsandwich RANDOLPH, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 11:02 a.m.

Chris B,

I'm a die hard Ute fan who enjoys the rivalry as much as anybody. I also like to think our fan base is as classy as any program out there.

Why bash BYU's honor code? Comments like that arent helping.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 10:51 a.m.

Chris B,

The honor code is a good and postitive thing. BYU certainly does well with it. Many programs have Codes of Conduct and team rules. Some do better with them than others. It may interest you to know that coach KW at Utah has team rules that include attending church if you have a religion and the rules include many of the elements of BYU's honor code. However, the team rules are not as heavy on the premarital sex issues as compared to BYU. So, put down BYU's honor code if you will, but realize most people support codes of conduct and in fact you can find them at a lot of schools.

• AK Cougar Palmer, AK
    Aug. 17, 2011 10:51 a.m.

Chris B. Welcome back as BYU's biggest fan. I have not seen your posts if a few days. I think you read more articles about BYU than any other. If it was not for BYU, what would you do?

As for the Honor Code. UU32, Fed Employee and Starfarer said it right. The Honor Code is what separates BYU from other teams. The separation is what some of us fans look for. I am proud of BYU and their Honor Code. That is where I would want my sons and daughters going to school than some place where they claim diversity is the goal when in reality the goal is to avoid consequenses. Good luck in trying to choose the consequenses of your actions rather than having consequenses follow your actions.

Go Cougars.

• lordandrew1 Provo, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 10:37 a.m.

Chris B, you could take a hint from classy fans like motorbike. Contrary to what you may believe, it is possible to be a die-hard Utah fan without having to try to degrade BYU every chance you get. Motorbike, good luck to the Utes in the PAC-12.

Oh and Chris B, give it up with your new strategy of saying "BYU will never be great unless they give up the honor code." You and I both know that BYU will never give up the honor code. Every comment on the subject is useless and brings nothing to the table.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 10:27 a.m.

Chris B -- I am a Utah fan. As a Utah fan, I plead with you, stop the BYU honor code bashing. BYU may or may not ever make it to a BCS bowl game. I personally think they may some day, you don't believe that they ever will - so be it. But please follow this logic -- BYU is not weak because of the Honor Code. BYU is in existence because of the Honor Code. It is the unique moral code and an accountability to something other than the whims of society that make BYU unique enough to exist as an institution. Yes, it is true, there will be top level athletes that won't attend BYU because they want to party, have pre-marital sex, grow long hair or a beard, whatever. However, it is precisely that same Honor Code that attracts several top level athletes to BYU - the desire to be in a place that strives to adhere to a moral code that transcends public sentiment and the relative morality of today. If you are going to bash BYU, pick another topic - the Honor Code is a blessing to BYU, not a curse. All this from a Utah Man.

• Fed Employee Lehi, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 10:20 a.m.

No, Chris. No honor code equals Miami, Ohio State, USC, etc. i.e. being stripped of titles and vacating victories.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 17, 2011 10:18 a.m.

Chris B

Wow? really? Shallow.

What you are saying, without saying, is that BYU limits players of color because, as you state, they cannot live the honor code?

Are you also saying that wonderful diversity is a requirement for BCS games? If so, how many white kids does there need to be on some of those BCS teams to show their diversity?

Are you also implying that white kids are not athletes?

Turn your comment around and say that about a predominantly "wonderful diversity" that they need more white kids to be diversified team and you would have your house burned down.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 9:58 a.m.

That's a nice write up in USA Today. As a die-hard Ute fan, I truly wish BYU luck in Independence. I don't see a national championship - their goal - ever happening under the current BCS format, but I do think they could get to a BCS game and accomplish other goals of being Independent.
    I'd still rather see them with Utah in the Pac-XX.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 9:53 a.m.

honor code equals very little diversity, very few athletes, and no BCS games

No honor code equals wonderful diversity, many athletes, and BCS games(see Utah, Boise, TCU, Hawaii, and then the other 40 teams who have played in BCS games.

It's your choice. Live with the consequences

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 9:51 a.m.

Although I don't follow Notre Dame or BYU, I sure like that Notre Dame is reaching out to the Y. The advice is solid--think nationally, with your whole heart! I'd like to see this experiment pay off for the Y. This is an exciting time for college football in the state of Utah!

• dustman Nampa, ID
    Aug. 17, 2011 9:49 a.m.

Please don't be a Gary Crowton offense...please no...please

• SLC BYU Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 17, 2011 9:43 a.m.

What remains to be seen is how long BYU stays indepedent. With Big-12 presidents now calling for expansion to cover theri losses and Texas resisting indpendence not to mention Oklahoma clinging to them, we could see Dan Beebe in Provo as opposed to having a heated phone discussion with his SEC counterpart Mike Slive.