Sports

Dick Harmon: Adam Hine's short turnaround for the Cougars

Comments

• hohum Saint George, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 10:29 p.m.

Glad to see Adam back. Looked for him on the Y roster, couldn't find him and now I know why. Name makes no difference, he is a gifted athlete. Ran crazy his sophomore year, then Snow Canyon didn't have the supporting cast and they used him everywhere. Quarterback, reciever, punter, he was their team. Was also the year Pine View went 13-1 he was a junior, as a senior again he was a one man team. He will do good, will watch for him.

Thanks for your service and I know it will benefit you for your whole life and there are so many in Panama that will always be gratefull for your life.

• UGradBYUfan Snowflake, AZ
    Aug. 2, 2011 6:05 p.m.

I have to agree with the statement that players that go on missions can come back with greater maturity and perspective, but they also can lose their competitive edge in some cases. I trained a new missionary that was a state champion heavyweight wrestler in his mid-western state (held the state record for pins in his junior year) and was promised a scholarship to play football at the Y. He was an animal! But when he came home he never really panned out as a football player. When I talked to him years later, he admitted that when he got injured and he had already started his family, he really just didn't have the same fire. So this maturity thing for BYU football players is a double-edge sword. It can cut both ways!

Considering this young man's obvious talent set, I will be praying that he will be able to make that transition to play football at a very high competitive level.

• Razoo Toquerville, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 5:49 p.m.

I've known Adam for most of his life. I've never known a more gifted athlete. I think it was the 3rd grade when my daughter was on a coed soccer team with him. It was funny to watch. They'd just kick the ball to him and he'd take it down and score, virtually every time he had the ball. I can't wait to watch him and see what he does at BYU. Go Adam!

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 3:25 p.m.

@Chrissy Bee

If living in a hut in some 3rd world country for two years, eating beans and rice for every meal, and getting parasites from the water is such a great way to train for football then the Peace Corps would be full of D1 football players taking advantage of the same NCAA rule.

PS - I got that you were just being sarcastic.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 3:15 p.m.

Speaking of Phillips, I really hope he can get his grades up. I am a little worried for him. Some reporters have made it sound like the grade obstacle is too big to overcome. For goodness sakes he's a redshirt freshman! He'll figure it out. Stop worrying me media!

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 2:54 p.m.

@FL Cougar

Yeah I agree that he will probably red-shirt this year, but I still think his athletic abilities could be better used in the secondary or as a receiver, and he says he is willing to play anywhere. With that kind of vertical leap he could be an NFL caliber corner or safety.

• BlueNtheFace Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Aug. 2, 2011 2:45 p.m.

Chrissy: your cheek has a noticeable bulge. Would that be from your tongue? Now let me try: The BYU coaching staff will try a new strategy this Fall Camp - they are going to rest the football team instead of working and exercising them so that they are "fresh" for the upcoming season. That'll work! Nasty exercising.

Go Missionary Program!

• FL Cougar PENSACOLA, FL
    Aug. 2, 2011 1:19 p.m.

It seems pretty obvious that he will redshirt and then fit like a glove into the backfield with Quezada and Phillips next year. He's not going to contribute to a logjam at RB if he redshirts, and he'll be just what we need with Kariya and DiLiugi gone next year.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 12:26 p.m.

It sounds like Bronco should convert him to receiver or the secondary. There is kind of a log jam at running back and with his athleticism he would probably make an outstanding corner or safety, or even a receiver if he has the hands for it.

• Chrissy Bee Atlanta, GA
    Aug. 2, 2011 12:20 p.m.

Come on, admit it. BYU does have a ginormous advantage because of the missionary program. Those kids get to rest their muscles for two whole years while all the non-missionaries are wearing themselves out exercising. This kid even admitted he only had to exercise a couple of times his entire mission! Then they come back fresh and ready to tear it up.

Yep, it's a wonder every 5* kid doesn't join the church so he can have this unfair advantage!

• bballjunkie Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 11:58 a.m.

I am glad to see you back Adam. Good luck and may the Lord continue to bless you and your family.

• Billy Budd Saint George, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 11:55 a.m.

Adam did depend upon natural gifts to dominate the competition in high school.

Hard work combined with those natural gifts could create an amazing future.

A red shirt year to "see" exactly what it is going to take to compete for playing time would be a good start.

Tremendous upside.

Welcome home.

Mosiah 2:17.

Go Cougars!

• Copper5283 CALDWELL, ID
    Aug. 2, 2011 11:43 a.m.

I agree this guy would be a beast at DB. I would like to see him at CB. Let him redshirt this year to get his legs back under him, and to let the logjam we have now at CB clear out. At 6'1" and with that vertical, he would be outjumping those 6'4" WRs for jump balls.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    Aug. 2, 2011 11:34 a.m.

How about we get a small, light, short guy who can take a hit (being fast and athletic is also a plus), have the OL hold for a couple of seconds while the QB and other backs hand him the ball, pick him up, and launch him over the DL? Great for guaranteed short yardage, such as at the goal line.

This guy seems to be an awesome player. I agree that he should redshirt.

• Idaho Coug Meridian, Idaho
    Aug. 2, 2011 10:51 a.m.

I'm excited to see how his Cougar career unfolds. He does seem like a prime candidate to redshirt. A redshirt year would allow him to get back into shape and experiment with a couple of positions so he goes into next spring in top shape and solidly in a position. What about corner? He seems to have the speed and athleticism and a big, 6'1" corner who can jump like he can may really shut down his side of the field.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 10:21 a.m.

Re: JEFFE

I agree he would probably make a good safety as well, but I guess you also have to consider getting the most out of him as well. If he played at safety, it is hard to say how soon he would start, or if he is rotating and splitting time with someone else. Same thing if he played running back. If he was splitting carries with someone else I don't know that you would get the most out of his athletic ability. Since DBs and RBs don't rotate as much it is hard to say how much playing time he would get. But WRs rotate a lot, and if he could learn to be another deep threat that he could find himself getting a lot of balls thrown his way and scoring a lot of points, and using his jumping ability the most. That's just me personally. We'll see what the coaches decide. I also say that too because it seems like we still have other guys who can play running back and defensive back, at least for right now.

• GuitarGuy Layton, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 9:59 a.m.

It's so refreshing to hear about such high-character kids like this.

I'd like to see him redshirt this year to get his legs back. By then, DiLuigi and Kariya will have graduated, and Adam would be a fantastic speed back behind Juice Quezada. The thought of him in the defensive backfield makes me salivate, as well, though.

It's nice to have options!

• CT98 Saint George, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 9:32 a.m.

We all knew him as "Timo" here in Dixie three years ago. The kid was a beast! I remember watching him play and it would take 2 or 3 defenders to drag him to the ground each play. He played as Quarterback and showed impressive athleticism. I don't remember Timo being extra fast but he was physically bigger than all the other kids and definitely stood out on the field. I am more impressed that he served a mission. He set a great example to other kids. Can't wait to watch him as a Cougar.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 8:49 a.m.

""I ran a few times, but nothing hard like it is going to be,"

I see nothing wrong with working out an hour a day, three times a week, as a missionary to stay in reasonable shape. I know mission presidents who have encouraged this, not for "athletes," but for all their missionaries. Sacrificing fitness does nothing to increase one's effectiveness as a missionary.

- ANYONE who wants good health and top performance in their field keeps in shape physically.
    - Missionaries are ENCOURAGED to exercise 30 minutes per day.
    - When I trained for a marathon I was instructed to rest two days per week. Get a good 60 minute workout in three days a week, instead of a lessor workout 30 minutes per day.

Sure, three 60 minute workouts aren't going to keep one in competitive shape, but it will help as an athlete and a missionary. I'd even encourage an athlete to workout a couple hours on preparation day. Your mind and spirit can and will be working on missionary things while your body is working, especially while the endorphins are coursing through your blood. In my experience the quality of one's thoughts increases during exercise.

• golfrUte SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 8:45 a.m.

Adam sounds like a tremendous young man and a terrfic talent. Wish we could have him at the U, but wish him the best at the Y. The missionary program is wonderful for spiritual and emotional growth, but its extremely difficult to get your body back in athletic competition shape after two years. Love to see local talent staying at local schools. Good luck Adam.

• roswell Saint George, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 8:45 a.m.

I have wondered where 'Timo' went...no better place. As to his friend Kurt Henderson, no better friend..Hopefully, Kurt will walk on, too. I feel so proud of the Cougs, with young men like this, regardless of what our win-loss record will be at the end of the year, at least I know they are honorable and represent the school well.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 8:19 a.m.

Dear Chrissy Bee. Sure the other coaches could send their kids away for 2 years where they let their bodies rest and serve their fellow human beings. Think of the character it would build in these young men. Then once they have found out that there is more to life than beer drinking and women they could come back to college ready to contribute to their team and their school. Oh, yes they would have to foot this bill themselves, or have their family help. The other coaches simply know they do not have young men who would dedicate their lives to helping others before they put themselves first.

Sounds fair to me.:)

• Pete in Texas Copperas Cove, TX
    Aug. 2, 2011 8:15 a.m.

Chrissy Bee,

I love BYU football and their entire sports program. However, it's been my experience, (and I remember games back into the 1970's, so I've been around a while), that the greater portion of returning missionaries lose a bit of their competitive edge when serving a mission. Two years serving as a missionary, dedicating your life to real people in a real world with real problems seems to kind of put where "sports" falls into the eternal scheme of things. I have no doubt that Adam will be an incredible athlete and a big advantage to the football program, but you need to try and understand that if a kid grows up playing nothing but football and his whole life is dedicated to that up until he graduates from high school, his entire mindset in life is about football. He's a boy who's only thoughts are about football. He has no idea what "life" is all about. To serve a mission, these boys have an opportunity to go out and become men. They can understand that football is great, but life is about more than that. It's about others.

Good luck, Adam. Welcome back to BYU!! Thanks for serving.

• Chrissy Bee Atlanta, GA
    Aug. 2, 2011 7:40 a.m.

BYU has such a ginormous advantage with their missionary program. Just reading this makes it crystal clear why other coaches wish they could do the very same with all of their star athletes. It just doesn't seem fair, does it?

• SnowCanyonDad SANTA CLARA, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 7:36 a.m.

Adam changed his name from Timo to Hine at the last of his senior year in High School. He actually took hs mother's last name. Seen him play almost every game in High School, amazing player, and knows where his talent comes from.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Aug. 2, 2011 7:25 a.m.

I don't know a lot about Adam other than the press clippings. But from the press clippings, I can tell he's an incredible athlete. He's one of those athletes that U trollers say never come to BYU. But somehow they keep coming in record numbers.

Coming back from his mission this late, I can't imagine a scenario where he doesn't redshirt this year. It would be a shame to waste a year of eligibility if he's not in outstanding condition.

To me he seems a natural at RB. Redshirt this year, backs up Juice in 2012 and 2013 with an increasing number of touches, and is the guy in 2014 and 2015.

The future is bright. Go Cougs!

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Aug. 2, 2011 6:25 a.m.

Oh my goodness! 6'1", can high jump 7'2", and so versatile that he can play all those positions too? Wow, sounds like another dream catch for the Cougs!

So, whether he goes by Timo or Hines, it doesn't make any difference to this Cougar fan. I'm just excited to hear he's a stud of a talent and he's joining the Cougs. Independent sounds sweeter with every quality new recruit!

Btw, congrats on successful mission too kid, and welcome aboard!

Go Cougs! and good luck to the Utes too!

• Coyoteghost Saint George, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 6:20 a.m.

Adam Hines--That's a name I'll file away. It will probably take a while to get those parasites out of his body, put on some weight,run enough miles to build up endurance, and push enough weights to remember what strength feels like.

He has paid a price. If he applied the same intensity to his mission that he did to sports at Snow Canyon he will be a man to watch. Best of success, Adam.

• --JEFFE-- Cedar City, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 12:18 a.m.

Cougar Claws,

Adam could definitely excel as a wideout, he has all the tools to be a big impact player. I have never seen so much raw talent in a high school athlete. Infact, he is capable of playing really any skill position on the offensive side of the ball, I watched games down here in southern Utah where he would play RB and would also switch in at QB, he even played punter if I remember right.

But where I would really like to see him play is in the defensive secondary. Imagine a safety with that kind of speed and vertical! He has a bruising, solid build but is a great sprinter as well.. I think he will do great things while in Provo. His skill could easily translate over to professional ball if he is used correctly and given the chance to shine.

Welcome back home Adam! Cant wait to see you in action again!
    Great things ahead!

• sky2k1 Saint George, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 12:06 a.m.

Good athlete. I remember playing against him as a senior when he was a sophomore, and he was tough to stop. I'm with Holiday, when did his name change?

• UtahUte16 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 1, 2011 11:37 p.m.

I remember watching this kid high jump 7'0" at the state meet (might have been the BYU meet). Crazy athleticism, good luck to him.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Aug. 1, 2011 11:33 p.m.

Great to have him back. A stud 4-star athlete that is going to do great things wherever he plays.

He would do well at running back, but I don't know how you take his athletic ability into consideration and not play him at receiver. A 6'1" guy with a 7'2" high jump and 4.5 speed would make him a very good receiver, particularly for BYU standards. If he is able to get into a 3 man rotation with Apo and Hoffman, he could be an amazing receiver. It might even be good to redshirt him and have him learn the position. Just my 2 cents.

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    Aug. 1, 2011 11:25 p.m.

This kid is a beast. I went to high school with his older brother before his family defected to the hated Snow Canyon. ;) He should stick with Track and Field though...he's better at that than football, if you can imagine it. He's Olympic material there.

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    Aug. 1, 2011 10:45 p.m.

Sounds like a great kid and a heck of an athlete...Welcome back Adam, look forward to watching you play at BYU!

• Holiday St. George, Utah
    Aug. 1, 2011 10:40 p.m.

I went to school with Adam (only then his last name was Timo. When did he switch it?). Anyways, he carried our team on his back to the state championship game. He is one of the most gifted athletes ever to go to Snow Canyon and now I firmly believe he'll be one of the most gifted athletes to come out of BYU! Good luck Adam!

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    Aug. 1, 2011 10:38 p.m.

Great story and what a great missionary! Glad to have this kid as a cougar. Excellent example of an ideal BYU recruit: athletic, smart, humble, and spiritual.

Go Cougars!

• whoisjohngalt Holladay, UT
    Aug. 1, 2011 10:21 p.m.

Welcome back Adam! Sounds like you did good work for the people in Panama.

Now get in the weight room and do your heavy squats in and your legs will be back and more in no time.