Beck comments on Tittle's 'What it means to be a Cougar,' a BYU football retrospect

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Aug. 4, 2011 7:31 a.m.

Does the book talk about the BYU players that have come through the program with addictions to pain killers that have negatively and sometimes tragically effected their lives?

Moderator - The drug addictions of players that began during their playing days is a factual part of BYU football history. The issue has been reported on in this newspaper, and is therefore a fair question.

Unless this article is just a promotion for a BYU positive book, this post should be allowed.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Aug. 3, 2011 2:12 p.m.

Dear SoCalUtahFan, and you think Utah has a chance any more? I think their chances were better in the MWC than in the PAC12.

• UgottaloveMaxie SLC, UT
    Aug. 3, 2011 11:55 a.m.

Re: Rhett Wilkinson - how is beck #2 all time passer? by what statistic? because I see Max Hall ahead of him in yards and touchdowns on byu's record books, please explain.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Aug. 3, 2011 10:42 a.m.

Dear So Cal Reader part of reading a story is understanding and comprehending what is being written. Reynolds was on a mission when me met Marc Wilson. No where in the story does it say Marc Wilson was serving a mission. Lance met him.

I guess in your mind Lance Reynolds would not be able to meet someone while serving a mission and that person was not on a mission. As a missionary I met thousands of people and most of them were not a mission, nor were they members of the Church.

Please read the story and take time to understand it.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Aug. 3, 2011 9:01 a.m.

"It means you don't get to play in a BCS bowl game.

Simple and easy to understand."

Some of us are more simple minded than others, aren't we.

• Monsieur le prof Sandy, UT
    Aug. 3, 2011 8:28 a.m.

I think the premise of the book is what makes it important. Football is temporary and relatively unimportant in the scheme of things. It's what one learns about life and how one relates to those about him that is truly important. It's all about relationships.

Lavell was great because he cared about his players. Even today he remembers them, where they are, and what they are doing. I think BYU is unique in the world in that respect. I look forward to reading the book!

• Bitterman west jordan, ut
    Aug. 3, 2011 12:04 a.m.

Is that the same rambling, partially coherent, punchy Chris Speilman who sputters out sentence fragments and makes any game he comments for unwatchable?

Yeah. Very relevant.

Remember that the bcs is not the end all be all you'd like it to be. It is a corrupt hypocritical organization that changes its rules and bylaws to suit its own weak agenda. Had the current rules been in place, byu would have gone in 02, 97, 91, 85, 84, and 83. Without those envelope pushing performances, the utes never get a sniff.

• Coug Pleasant Grove, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 10:29 p.m.

I had an excellent experience while at BYU. My appreciation for what the school represents grows stronger with each passing year. Among institutions of higher learning, it is wonderfully unique. I find great satisfaction that the Y is receiving increased exposure for what makes the university exceptional.

• ExDixieIte Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 10:01 p.m.

There's such a beautiful punch line in the abbreviated version of the headline as it appears on the front page. Unfortunately I don't know if the moderators will allow me to point that fact out.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 9:57 p.m.

Oh chris spielman huh? Well that makes it gospel.

• SoCalUtahFan Irvine, CA
    Aug. 2, 2011 8:09 p.m.

...BYUs always been the golden child. This puts Utah in the national spotlight, Spielman said. Now, I know BYUs going independent, but I just think this is an amazing move for Utah. I think its great for them as far as recruiting goes. Its a chance to win a national championship without having to fight the BCS, and the stigma of being from the Mountain West.

And I think this will generate a huge fan base for Utah, because theyre going to be on TV a lot more and theyre going to be playing at a higher level. Im not saying that the Mountain West wasnt good, but

• SoCalUtahFan Irvine, CA
    Aug. 2, 2011 8:01 p.m.

ESPN college football analyst Chris Spielman thinks the Utah football team is well on its way to becoming a national football presence, maybe even a power, by joining the Pac-12.

He thinks the future is less certain for the BYU football team as it moves into independence and he thinks that the Cougars wont be independent for long.

And he thinks that the balance of power may be shifting away from Provo and toward Salt Lake City.

• Cougars --Best Little Brothers Irvine, CA
    Aug. 2, 2011 7:50 p.m.

"It means you don't get to play in a BCS bowl game"

nothing is wrong with The Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl

• morganh Orem, Utah
    Aug. 2, 2011 5:39 p.m.

@ SoCalUtahFan,

We all know that College Football is all about money. Your same question was posed to an ESPN executive after they signed their deal with B.Y.U. He said that if B.Y.U. wins their games they will have a seat at the BCS table. B.Y.U. has to win to be invited. My guess is ESPN would not want a 7-6 or an 8-4 team but with the recruits and the current players B.Y.U. could put up teams that ESPN wants to play in a BCS bowl, and ESPN just signed a contract to broadcast the BCS games so this could be very interesting.

• defibman Syracuse, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 4:29 p.m.

Being in the pac 10.2 does not make you an automatic "in" to a BCS game. Please get a clue. You have to win your conference and finish in the top 15 at least. You talk as though the u will automatically be in a BCS game every year. I think that BYU has a better chance of getting into a BCS game before the u.

BTW, why did you read the article? Were you seeing if you had what it takes to be one?
    Since you did not have the GPA to attend, we all know that you want to be part of a winning program.

• Doctor J Manti, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 4:26 p.m.

BYU is a top program...all the way aroud!

• SoCalUtahFan Irvine, CA
    Aug. 2, 2011 1:48 p.m.

It means you don't get to play in a BCS bowl game.

Simple and easy to understand.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Aug. 2, 2011 1:30 p.m.

I'm a non-BYU alumn (as morganh above), but I, too, love the school for what it represents. I've had a daughter graduate there and have a son coming in this Fall. I'll read the book because I've always been a BYU Football fan.

However, with that being said, "Pyne spoke of an account where Marc Wilson credits Lance Reynolds for the reason he came to BYU. Reynolds was serving his mission in Washington when he met Wilson and encouraged him to go to Provo. He also mentioned LaVell Edwards passion for the missionary program, where under his watch, serving was encouraged much more than before he came around, Pyne said.

Huh? Marc Wilson never ended up serving a mission. One of the biggest changes I've seen w/ the BYU Football program has been the increased number of players who now serve missions, compared to Wilson/Young's time. Yep! Some things are much more important, long-term wise, than football!

• Blue KoolAid near, the beach
    Aug. 2, 2011 11:45 a.m.

Kickbacks and pyramid schemes aside, I guarantee on 9/17 money will be made selling out ingredients for the Ute' Creampuffs recipe found on page 43 of 'Cougars Cookbook'.

• morganh Orem, Utah
    Aug. 2, 2011 11:40 a.m.

I never did have the opportunity to go to B.Y.U., because I didn't take school serious enough to have the grades to get there. I have had roommates and family members who have gone to the "Y" and it has been a great experience for them. If I was able to do it all over again I would get the grades to get to B.Y.U. because besides it being a great football school it is a great place to get an education.

• defibman Syracuse, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 10:50 a.m.

Too bad that BYU can't get a nickle for every article about the Y that hedge reads. They would be making more on that than a BCS bowl game.

And yet he says he is not a fan of BYU. Go figure!

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Aug. 2, 2011 10:05 a.m.

"What % of the book sales do you get?"

Same goes for that strange recruiting website article dick gushed about.

I'm smelling a familiar Utah county pyramid scheme...

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 9:48 a.m.

In short, Cougar football is about more than football.

• Vegas Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 2, 2011 9:24 a.m.

Wow DN, thanks for the 3 page advertisement. What % of the book sales do you get?

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 2, 2011 9:23 a.m.

BYU is not for everyone but, the ones who go for the right reasons and the ones who discover the right reasons while they are there are changed forever. Football is not the top priority. It is a teaching tool that shapes the players and prepares them for life by showing them what their potential is. It can happen at other schools but at BYU, the coaches live it, teach it and give it every opportunity to happen for each player.