Utah

Man charged with stalking Mormon church president ordered to stand trial

Comments

• Pentacone Batley, W.Yorkshire
    July 30, 2011 12:00 p.m.

Dear Benjamin,

I too have "Unusual Communications" with The Lord!!

AND, I too have been trying to get an "Audience with the President", for the Past Three and a Half Years!

However, I have somewhat further to Travel, since I am in Yorkshire, UK!

Never-the-less, I feel personally, that The Lord has a Manner to, "Contact the President", and He is finding that HIS way of Working, is NOT exactly as President Monson's!

So, it could very well be possible, that The Lord is asking you to "Pop-In", and put-over His "Point of View", regarding Many of the, "Ways of the World" Today?

As a Highly Qualified (Multi) Engineer, I have taken to Studying Spiritual Matters, from This View (Considering that The LORD, who Engineered This Existence, must be Incredible), and I have found that the Latter-Day Saints just Cannot Answer "Spiritual Engineering" Problems!

The ONLY Person therefore, having the Power to Answer such Questions, MUST BE The President(?)

With Kindest Regards,
    Joseph Peter Sheehan.
    "PENTACONE"

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 28, 2011 9:33 a.m.

Re: ih8bella | 6:36 p.m. July 26, 2011
    "We should keep our eyes on Brother Staples. Maybe he knows something"

Yes, and perhaps we should keep our eyes on Brother Brian David Mitchell. Maybe he knows something.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    July 28, 2011 2:31 a.m.

If the Church security did nothing and then this guy attacked people we would here no end to the complaints. There is a need for security personnel to do their job, and they seem to have done it well.

• A_Zion_State_O'Mind FAIR OAKS, CA
    July 27, 2011 10:21 p.m.

My heart goes out to this man & his family. Unfortunately the liberal 60's come back to bite us in cases like this because of laws this man's family can do little to get him the help he needs & control his meds.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 27, 2011 1:46 p.m.

Re: Abbe Faria | 10:23 a.m. July 27, 2011
    "What do you think Jesus would do in this situation?"

John 2:15 Says Jesus made a whip out of cords, ran some poor souls out of the temple, scattered their money all over the floor, and scared their animals off.

What would Jesus say to this man today? "Go see your bishop".

• MarieDevine Divine-Way Kansas City, MO
    July 27, 2011 1:11 p.m.

Mr. Staples could have been turned to scriptures which say, If they shall say, Christ is here or there, go not after him. The Son of Man comes neither in the person of man or woman traveling the earth. That would have ended his delusion of being Jesus.

Jesus Christ is the word of God; the word of God was shown to us in the flesh so we could see what following God's word looks like. Christians are not following the word of God through Jesus and that is the message that even Prophet and First President Monson needs to focus on.

God's word cannot be followed as Christian doctrine or Muslim or Hindu doctrine; it MUST be followed as Law, so it can be judged as Law. It must conform to what is written, and confirmed with all the other scriptures considered. There are too many doctrines blocking the kingdom of God because they do not understand that God is bound by His word... He cannot lie; He cannot judge one person more favorably than another because he likes his prayers. He is NOT an unrighteous judge. Seek to establish the Kingdom of God with truth.

• Maryquilter Farmington, UT
    July 27, 2011 1:08 p.m.

Hind sight is 20/20 and we can't possibly know everything that went on over the course of time as this poor gentleman repeatedly came to the Church offices to see President Monson. We don't even know how many times he appeared before the prophet was apprised of the situation. This guy may have been completely sincere in thinking he was Jesus and needed to see President Monson, but let's face it, in today's society there are plenty of 'nut jobs' out there who could just as easily have come in at some point with a bomb strapped to him. There was a day when people could probably come in off the street and meet with the prophets, but those days are behind us. I am sure everyone tried their best to do what they thought was in the best interest of everyone involved. Let's hope this man gets the help now which he clearly needs. The part about "receiving guidance outside normal channels" was probably not the best choice of words and easily misconstrued; like I said, hind sight is 20/20. A little too much armchair quarterbacking going on I think.

• VocalLocal Salt Lake, UT
    July 27, 2011 12:52 p.m.

I think it's clear this man has mental health issues and hopefully those will be addressed and cared for. It's unlikely he's a real threat-more of a public nuisance-and hopefully with proper attention and treatment he can learn to deal with his desires to meet Church leaders in ways that are socially appropriate. I don't think President Monson should visit him-otherwise there will be hundreds of people show up tommorrow at Church headquarters demanding to see him. I think the actions of the Church in this matter were appropriate.

@zer28 I love it when religious people state that someone who thinks they are Jesus is of grave concern but thinks channeling Jesus from other magical communication methods should be taken with grave seriousness.

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    July 27, 2011 12:02 p.m.

I should add to my previous 'what would Jesus do?' post...

The reason I wanted to address this question was to make another point entirely, which I forgot to make.

My first point, was that we can't really answer that question appropriately.

My MAIN point in the end was to say that it is entirely possible that President Monson or others involved in the church specific to this issue, were doing what Jesus would have done. All I'm really saying in the end is that we don't really know. We often like to think 'this is the Christ-like attitude' and forget that this isn't always the case. There are many things yet to be revealed because we can't handle everything right now... thus line upon line, etc- but the point... perhaps the church did, very literally, the right thing. We don't know everything, but I believe Monson is doing the work of God just fine. That's all we really need to worry about. In the end, we don't judge the men but trust the work they do. I mean this in a friendly way, not judging you... just suggesting my view on it. :)

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    July 27, 2011 11:56 a.m.

Abbe Faria, you stated:

"As a church member, I am a little disappointed to see this. What do you think Jesus would do in this situation?"

People ask this a lot, obviously, but one of the things that many miss is that the Bible does not really answer that question. I'm referencing the Bible for a reason, just bare with me.

1- statements from church leaders about Joseph Smith are generally very one-sided and are only praising. This isn't bad, but they give a very specific view of Joseph that I doubt he would have given himself. I remember the first time I read the King Follett Discourse, although a transcription, I believe it was much closer to capturing Joseph's speech than most accounts of the man.

2- The New Testimant has an account of Jesus Christ's life, but it wasn't written by him nor did it cover every action he made. It covered the notable things he did that were public or needed to be recorded. If a satan-worshiper wished to speak with him, he may have said no- we just don't know everything.

I'm only saying 'what would Jesus do?' often can't literally be answered.

• Gregg Weber SEATTLE, WA
    July 27, 2011 10:57 a.m.

We are human. Most of us, Jesus excepted, has dropped a ball at one time or another. Even Bishops. This is a learning opportunity for all of us. Sure, there are those that complain, but it is better to identify problems, rather than just complain, and fix them.
    Tangent? What does church Handbooks and aircraft manuals have in common? Much of them are written in blood in that an aircraft goes down, meets it's shadow, flies into a stuffed cloud, or whatever, whether by technical problem, pilot error ("short between the headphones"), or whatever, there is a loss and additions to the manual reflect what was learned.
    The difference? To some degree, revelation.

• AZRods Maricopa, AZ
    July 27, 2011 10:35 a.m.

noneck, try rereading the whole article without the attitude. You'll find it most illumiating.

• zer28 Ogden, UT
    July 27, 2011 10:34 a.m.

To noneck62:

The article specifically says "When people show up, like Brother Staples, and refuse to accept our advice to go to an ecclesiastical leader, and become a persistent nuisance, speaks of receiving guidance outside normal channels, we become concerned,"

By "guidance outside normal channels", they're talking about going to see a bishop or stake president with your issues. The President of the Church does not need to handle every-day issues. That's what ward and stake leaders are for.

And the Church isn't who decided to send this guy to jail. They asked him to leave SEVERAL times, not just once or twice. From there on out it's up to the police to decide what to do with him, not the church.

• valhas5 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 27, 2011 10:33 a.m.

The article said they had directed him to go to his own Bishop and local church leaders. But he continued to try to see the Prophet. There are proper channels to go through. But just going there and demanding to see the Prophet is NOT the way to do it. I bet if he went to try and see the Pope in the same manner the Catholics would have had him arrested to.

• Whos Life RU Living? Ogden, UT
    July 27, 2011 10:29 a.m.

Wouldn't that be funny if Bro Staples really was Jesus?

• Abbe Faria Draper, UT
    July 27, 2011 10:23 a.m.

As a church member, I am a little disappointed to see this. What do you think Jesus would do in this situation? Don't you think he would hear the guy out? He obviously wants to speak to the prophet really badly. Pres. Monson could even have security there the whole time. I believe that Jesus would have taken this guy and comforted him, or at least listened to what he had to say. He wouldn't have him arrested I am pretty sure. They're saying he is a reasonable man, just really wants to see the prophet.

• noneck62 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 27, 2011 9:51 a.m.

If the Church thinks that Jail is the only way to help Brother Staples, than they have a serious problem; another solution is that Brother Staples should have gone to his Bishop for assistance.

• Karin Santa Ana, CA
    July 27, 2011 8:03 a.m.

Let's hope he can be evaluated for mental illness "brain disorder". If he has been delusional, clearly this is a case of someone not taking their medication. Hopefully this saint can get the help he needs. Most mentally ill people I have worked with are very intelligent and articulate; however, off their medication they think they are Jesus Christ or John the Baptist!

• zer28 Ogden, UT
    July 27, 2011 7:52 a.m.

"Hmmmm. The church holds Joseph Smith in extremely high regard and they claim he received guidance outside normal channels. We should keep our eyes on Brother Staples. Maybe he knows something."

Wrong. The Church does NOT believe that Joseph Smith received guidance outside of normal channels. A true prophet receive revelation directly from God, which is what happened with Joseph Smith. This man isn't claiming to be a prophet, he's claiming to be Jesus Christ himself. Big difference.

• Serenity Manti, UT
    July 26, 2011 8:45 p.m.

I thought this poor man was going to be taken home to be cared for by his family. At least that's what one of the posts said the last time he was in the Deseret News. I sure hope his family is here to support him.

• Tyler Ray Taylorsville, UT
    July 26, 2011 7:45 p.m.

the difference between Staples and Joseph Smith is that when Joseph Smith was getting guidance there was no prophet on the earth, therefore per LDS belief Joseph was called by God to be the prophet, hence the channel of revelation.

• ih8bella West Jordan, Utah
    July 26, 2011 6:36 p.m.

"When people show up, like Brother Staples, and speak of receiving guidance outside normal channels, we become concerned,"