Utah

Michelle Obama wows crowd at Utah re-election fundraiser

Comments

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    July 31, 2011 3:20 p.m.

"I'm always fascinated by this perspective. Tell me: If you were a slave on an auction block in 1787, watching your wife and child being sold to another slaveholder, would you believe that the document that sanctioned the sale of your wife an child was divinely inspired?"

Ah, you have not been here long enough obviously to understand that yes, some do think black people were better off under slavery, and no, they should not feel that their government let them down in the first half of the 1900's when their "rights" were safely viewed as lessor than of their lessor skin colored neighbors. WHy would it bother you that kids had attack dogs released on them for simply sending their kids to school.... or the fact that they were told they could not eat, drink, or share in the same jobs others enjoyed. Why in the world would that bother anyone or make them feel their government failed them.

Add to that, none of these people have been let down by something a family member has done, all the while still loving those people regardless. It is a concept these people can't understand.

• LeftBehind SAN FRANCISCO, CA
    July 31, 2011 4:35 a.m.

carabaoU:

Abraham Lincoln: first President to institute a progressive income tax = communist.

Teddy Roosevelt: established National Parks (lands for public purposes)= communist.

Dwight Eisenhower: established the Federal Interstate System (centralize means of transportation to the state)= communist.

Alexander Hamilton: proposed Bank of the United States (Centralize credit to the State) = Federalist Party, but also a communist.

Free education in public schools (gasp!): Too many Republicans to count!

Improve land in accordance with a common plan: Land use management goes back to the 18th Century. Perhaps we can start with the first Secretary of the Interior, Thomas Ewing, who was a Whig. (also a communist)

"Combining Agriculture and Manufacture Industries and distributing population throughout the country?" Hmnm...General Mills?" Tough one, but I go with Agribusiness for the death of family farming. (I could blame poor land use policy for contributing to the Dust Bowl in the 30's, but what do I know? By most of your criteria, I'm a communist.)

Free Health Care: I'm curious: from your perspective, which countries in the world are NOT communist? (I could have sworn we won the Cold War!)

Mrs. Obama, Utah is a Red State, but NOT LIKE THAT!

• LeftBehind SAN FRANCISCO, CA
    July 31, 2011 4:11 a.m.

Charles.Reese:

"she does not believe in The United States Constitution as our Founders were inspired by our Father in Heaven Himself."

• scottdclark MAPLETON, UT
    July 29, 2011 1:27 p.m.

Everyone wants to critisize Bush's spending yet you want to not look at why he had to spend! 911, Katrina, Homeland security and 2 wars.... all had 100% approval from both sides--how convenient your memory...now why has Obama spent 3x as much? To create socialism. Really????? How blind are you liberals!

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    July 29, 2011 6:14 a.m.

photographermom - I get your upset. But I put back to you, what should he have done differently that you feel Romney would have done? What would Romney have done to keep jobs from going oversees particularly since that is one of the tactics BAIN used to make companies more profitable. There views on the need for health care coverage for all are very close to the same. We can't lower taxes more..... so what is it you think should have been done..... that wasn't done.

I get the anger, but I don't hear why.... the cost of doing nothing was far more. Just calculate the cost of unemployment for 1 million auto workers for a year. Every option had a cost - even doing "nothing" had a big cost, which no one talks about.

Obama has done some social policy stuff I really don't like, But claims like "worst president ever" and the like seem to be a bit over the top. I actually shows how short term memory most really have.

• Kearns_Dad Kearns, UT
    July 27, 2011 11:58 p.m.

If people are shocked about Mrs. Obama saying for the first time she is proud of America, why don't we collectively vote? Utah is among the lowest voter turnout states. Sounds like voters not going to the polls is NOT proud of America.

• photographermom South Jordan, UT
    July 27, 2011 5:20 p.m.

Utah blue devil, you are missing my point...fundraise for somebody that will do good for this nation. I don't care if you are republican or democrat don't put your money into someone that is incapable of running this great country.

If he could better improve the economy and the jobless rate he would be deserving of re election. If Mitt Romney was doing the same job as Obama I would feel the same way about him. Obama is a terrible president. He is severely in over his head and should step aside for 2012.

• Gregg Weber SEATTLE, WA
    July 27, 2011 11:06 a.m.

I live in Seattle.
    "Rabbi, is there a special prayer for the Czar?"
    "May the Good Lord bless and keep the Czarfar, far away from us."
    For me, Utah is better than Seattle, or worse DC. For the sake of the Constitution and our freedoms, I wish he was with her.

• Richie Saint George, UT
    July 27, 2011 10:05 a.m.

How much did her trip cost us taxpayers?

• Rob Logan, UT
    July 27, 2011 7:53 a.m.

I was shocked when Mrs. Obama said this was the first time in her adult life that she appreciated America. From the time I was little and learned I have appreciated America. I love America. We have a nation where people will do almost anything to come here, right or wrong.
    What America stands for is when someone works hard they can achieve. When someone earns their money it should be theirs. Even the rich people who take all the risks and hire others should be able to keep their money. If this attitude keeps up then where will it stop? The Government can say to someone making $30,000 a year that they are making too much and have to give up a certain amount. If the Government keeps growing like it has been and keeps this attitude then that is where we will be heading.

• Charles.Reese FULTON, MO
    July 27, 2011 7:40 a.m.

Socialist beget socialist. Marxist beget Marxist. Communist beget Communist.

Michelle Obama maybe the first lady of The United States, but she is far from the ideals and principles of our Founders. Not only that, but she does not believe in The United States Constitution as our Founders were inspired by our Father in Heaven Himself. Perhaps many of you would recall her comments from February 18th 2008. "For the First Time in My Adult Lifetime, I'm Really Proud of My Country"

For a future reference to all those who feel the same way as Michelle. You should be proud of your country all the time. I whole heartedly disagree with the Obama's social justice, marxist, communistic ideals approach. I also disagree with the idea that Mr. Obama has been flirting with becoming a dictator. He is getting really close to being branded a true traitor to The United States of America. Perhaps many of you also have forgotten that this land will never be under the control of a king or a dictator. As there are no differences between a monarch or dictator.

• Kearns_Dad Kearns, UT
    July 27, 2011 7:39 a.m.

RE: Patriot @ 5:33p

'We' are glad she is here; as in my wife and 4 kids and YES we are glad she is in Utah. I didn't say anything about her raising funds. I believe it is a CLASS ACT for ALL first ladies to visit our fine state. 'We' also teach my children to respect elected offices and who sits in them regardless of party. 'We' teach my children about our Republic and our two party system. 'We' teach them that not all Republicans are good and not all Democrats are bad. 'We' teach them the power of a vote. I'll say it again, 'We' are glad/grateful/honored to have Mrs. Obama come to our fine state.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    July 27, 2011 1:09 a.m.

Michelle spent most of her life not appreciating her country. Not until a couple years ago. That's her words. Real classy.

Spent millions of tax payers money for vacations. Now she really appreciates the contry. Welcome to Utah.

• Doengelman St. George, UT
    July 26, 2011 11:25 p.m.

I attended this morning's reception and had the opportunity to meet Mrs. Obama. It sickens me to read the vicious comments directed at her.

For the record, I'm a retired school teacher who was invited to attend as a result of my efforts in the campaign, not because of any big bucks. There is a place for all as we continue to work toward a better country: not because we are "blue" or "red", but because we are Americans and that's what Americans do....strive & succeed, not just whine & wish!

• danaslc Kearns, UT
    July 26, 2011 10:25 p.m.

It looked like she impressed the liberal elite of Park City, in which I am sure she is proud. She really travels in those groups and oh, it is so comforting to know that the liberal elite are alive and well in Utah, NOT!

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    July 26, 2011 10:10 p.m.

photographermom - make sure you use that same bar when the other side comes a calling for donations. You can't have a double standard. Lee, Hatch and all the gang.... they had better not.... oh wait.... too late.

You have every right to speak your voice about your indignation about people spending tax payer money and dollars on fund raising activities.... but please, preserve your credibility by making the same demands on both sides. Next time you hear one of your lovely local politicians trying to raise money, remind them about the standard you choose to hold.

It will resonate all the much better if you do.

• photographermom South Jordan, UT
    July 26, 2011 9:35 p.m.

@xscribe, your money, my money everybody's money. Are you under the impression that Obama has placed us in good financially standing? Raising money for his reelection is not good for this nation.

• md Cache, UT
    July 26, 2011 9:33 p.m.

blah.

• Serenity Manti, UT
    July 26, 2011 8:39 p.m.

Mrs. Obama was talking about her husband's accomplishments during his time in office
    The health care issue? Isn't that the one which will cost America millions of dollars extra and it hasn't even been implemented yet. Hopefully, congress will come up with a better, less expensive plan eventually.

Ending the dont ask don't tell policy? Is this really going to help the troops, to know what the sexual orientation of some of their counterparts? Excuse me if I don't care who or what other people have sex with. But if I don't want to accept their choice, I should have that right. I will not condone homosexuality just because Obama or anyone else says I should. Isn't that freedom of choice?

The Navy seals did a great job in capturing Osama Bin Laden. It was terrific to watch the president and others in the situation room watching the action. That was a good move for America.

But how did a 4 trillion dollar debt under Bush become a 14 trillion dollar debt under Obama? The Obama administration keeps blaming the previous administration for our tremendous debt, why doesn't it ever take the blame - for anything?

• johnnyboy Coeur D Alene, ID
    July 26, 2011 8:38 p.m.

liked (common sense 55 ) comments........glad that mrs obama had the courtesy to come to your state..that is a good thing for your state...maybe utah is getting some clout huh? the more "high power" comes there the better I think.....

• Christy Beaverton, OR
    July 26, 2011 7:29 p.m.

You're right, Hutterite. Mrs. Obama is a class act.

I guess wherever you go, you find haters fed on ignorance.

*shrug*

• mtgrantlass Camden Wyoming, DE
    July 26, 2011 7:07 p.m.

Ms. Michelle talks to "the masses". hope it wasn't too painful. she may have to take another vacation.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    July 26, 2011 7:05 p.m.

Patriot and Photographer Mom, you seem to love to tell others how they should think. In fact, "speak for yourself" is exactly what Kearns_Dad was doing with his post. It's a very curmudgeonly person that takes offense when someone else graciously welcomes a person to his home.

Michelle Obama came here for a fundraising event, just as Mitt Romney did recently (and also several times in the less recent past). Your tax dollars don't pay for it, the Democratic Party does. Do you deny them the right to send people to fundraisers? Maybe you would prefer a single-party system. That would be a delight.

If you want to call these donations a waste of money, that's your right. If you dislike the president and his wife, that's your right. I happen to like Mitt Romney - I've admired him since the late 60s when I first met him. But I am not going to wallow in negativity because I disagree with the current president's policies. And I am not going to judge a candidate by his party - democrat or republican are both labels: show me the credentials and the ideas, then I'll vote.

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    July 26, 2011 6:39 p.m.

@Photographermom: Oh, so that makes it okay. Just wanted to understand the mentality. How about you tell us what money is being flushed down the toilet, and then we'll see of Romney has supported any of that "flushing."

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    July 26, 2011 5:33 p.m.

re:Kearns_Dad

"we are glad you are here"??? We are glad you are here to try and raise money to get your husband re-elected? I DON'T THINK SO Kearns_Dad. Speak for yourself.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    July 26, 2011 5:25 p.m.

She's a class act.

• JNA Layton, UT
    July 26, 2011 5:23 p.m.

Get her in and get her out...I don't appreciate this woman who hates this country in my beautiful state. I do not welcome you here, please leave as soon as possible.

• photographermom South Jordan, UT
    July 26, 2011 4:53 p.m.

xscribe...Mitch Romney isn't in office flushing all of Americas money down the toilet. Obama is.

• Straitpath PROVO, UT
    July 26, 2011 4:49 p.m.

Can anyone tell us who Mark Gilbert, her host is?

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    July 26, 2011 4:48 p.m.

Why is everything Dem/GOP? Someone said "so proud to be a Dem". Seriously? Why do so many people define themselves based on a political party?

Also I have to agree with the sentiment that there are a lot better things that much money could be spent on.

• Bebyebe UUU, UT
    July 26, 2011 4:46 p.m.

some of the comments here show utah's classy side. *sarcasm*

• cstott Lehi, UT
    July 26, 2011 4:24 p.m.

Only in Park city.

• Kearns_Dad Kearns, UT
    July 26, 2011 1:52 p.m.

Mrs. Obama, welcome to Utah and I hope you enjoy your stay. Keep up the good work! Utah is a pretty great state and we're glad you are here!

• one old man Ogden, UT
    July 26, 2011 1:39 p.m.

Love Utah | 11:48 a.m. July 26, 2011
    Draper, UT
    Do your bit for America Mrs Obama and stop spending taxpayers money by travelling (sic) unnecessarily on our tab.

If you will take a moment to check, Love, you would learn that this trip (and all campaign related trips) are paid not by taxpayers, but by the party or the candidate's campaign funds.

• ClarkKent Bountiful, Utah
    July 26, 2011 1:33 p.m.

Some of the posts on this thread clearly represent why many have an anti-mormon sentiment. Keep it up! You want Americans to understand mormons. You are doing a great job of it.

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    July 26, 2011 1:16 p.m.

@Photographermom: Can we assume you feel the same about the rich Mr. Romney? Do a quick check on how much money he has raised.

@Sabrecat: What an upstanding comment!

• Sabrecat South Jordan, UT
    July 26, 2011 12:45 p.m.

Welcome to Utah!

Now go home...

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    July 26, 2011 12:03 p.m.

I'm sure she will get mega-bucks here in Utah. Probably better served to just keep on go'en to San Francisco and Pelosi-ville and skip Utah. Actually I'm surprised the Obama's discovered that there is such a state as Utah way out west.... more of those hated folks who "cling to their guns and religion".

• Love Utah Draper, UT
    July 26, 2011 11:48 a.m.

Do your bit for America Mrs Obama and stop spending taxpayers money by travelling unnecessarily on our tab.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    July 26, 2011 11:42 a.m.

DN Subscriber | 9:12 a.m. July 26, 2011
    Cottonwood Heights, UT

Is that comment addressed toward Laura Bush? I didn't know she was visiting.

• Elmer Pleasant Grove, UT
    July 26, 2011 11:41 a.m.

I hope Mrs Obama has a good Visit But wouldn't want to donate money to the reelection we can't possibly stand another 4 yrs I don't see one thing Obama has done to help the country and a few years ago they were screaming flip flopers if you watch some of his campaign talks he has Flip Floped an unbeleiveable number of things This is one time we should say NO

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    July 26, 2011 11:34 a.m.

I guess if you want to waste $2500 bucks of your own money to the re election fundraiser, that is your own choice. It is a waste of money to me, but if you have it, and want to throw it away to a poor cause, go right ahead. Personally I could think of many other things that the $1000-$2500 donations could do here locally, than given to someone who will waste it.

• DeltaFoxtrot West Valley, UT
    July 26, 2011 11:31 a.m.

The biggest thing looming over Obama's reelection bid right now is whether or not he can wring a compromise out of the debt issue. If he can't no amount of campaigning or fundraising will save him.

• SpanishImmersed Mesa, AZ
    July 26, 2011 11:24 a.m.

Indeed we are a polarized nation, teetering on the brink, each half believing their method of government is the only true direction the nation should take. And startling is the fact that we live amongst each other, no longer a nation divided between north and south.

Just like the inpossible wars we are fighting against an unseen enemy hiding within the population. It is no longer a definable nation state we oppose.

At home the enemy is within, ever slouching toward gomorrah...

• Petra Sanpete County, UT
    July 26, 2011 11:19 a.m.

Welcome to Utah, Mrs. Obama!

Please ignore the few here who do not understand how to be hospitable. They are truly few in numbers in this state, and most are happy you have chosen to visit our state, and absolutely welcome you, no matter their political beliefs.

I would hope that you could someday return to see more of the state - Park City is great, but Utah is full of awesome sights, and the people, for the most part, are wonderful, warm and kind.

SO WELCOME TO UTAH!!! Thank you so much for coming!

• common sense55 Springville, UT
    July 26, 2011 11:19 a.m.

I'm glad the first lady came to Utah. Even if i am opposed to the policies that her husband's administration has set forth, i'm all for high profile individuals coming to this great state.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    July 26, 2011 11:18 a.m.

Pagan, Bush being wrong doesn't make Obama right for doing the same thing.

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    July 26, 2011 10:42 a.m.

So happy Michelle has come to Utah. Would love to have welcomed her.
    What a lovely, classy lady she is.
    So proud to be a Dem! What a great President we have, a man with such knowledge and great tenacity to fight for what is best for the United States!
    Obama 2012!

• carabaoU Moab, UT
    July 26, 2011 10:42 a.m.

Pagan | 10:14 a.m. July 26, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT

So, I'm a communist....

because you THINK I am?
    -----

I never said I think you are a communist.

I was only letting people learn what the Communist Party's foundations were and using shock and awe to help them see how close their political and social views may be to Communism.

Who or what is Wellpoint?
    A Health Plan company in Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. They serve members in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New York, Ohio, Virginia, and Wisconsin.

Not in Utah. I live in Utah. I have no concern over the affairs of a health care company not in Utah.

• photographermom South Jordan, UT
    July 26, 2011 10:38 a.m.

Wait...the Obamas don't have access to enough of our money, they need to fundraise for more?

• DefCon1 LAYTON, UT
    July 26, 2011 10:32 a.m.

Mrs. Obama welcome to our state. I hope you are able to enjoy yourself here. Now Pagan I find your interest in Bush fascinating. You spend so much of your time worrying about Bush, I think it may be time to consult a doctor. Bush spent way too much money, and Obama is spending at an even faster rate, neither was nor is good for America. Bush was not acting conservatively, obviously. Pagan Obama 2012-I think you're one of the only ones who feel this way any more. CNN: liberals abandoning Obama. Good news for America bad news for Obama.

• ljeppson Salt Lake City, UT
    July 26, 2011 10:23 a.m.

Mrs Obama, tell your husband not to cave to the Republicans, even if it means a default! Let's have this fight now!

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    July 26, 2011 10:14 a.m.

'The above is found in the Communist Manifesto. I'm sure Free Healthcare for all countrymen would be item j) today.' - carabaoU | 10:09 a.m. July 26, 2011

So, I'm a communist....

because you THINK I am?

Isn't that like I'm a terrorist because you think I am? Should I get packed for Gitmo, another George W. Bush creation?

As for healthcare, how much would it cost to repeal?

*'CBO: Health care repeal would increase deficit' - By Ricardo Alonso-zaldivar, Associated Press - 01/06/11
    'In a letter to Boehner, budget office director Douglas Elmendorf estimated repeal would increase the deficit by $230 billion from 2012 to 2021...'

Whereas previously...

*'Wellpoint Drops Coverage For Some Women With Breast Cancer' - By Mary Ellen Egan - Forbes Magazine - 04/23/10

I hope your wife dosen't get struck with breast cancer in your world....

• carabaoU Moab, UT
    July 26, 2011 10:09 a.m.

Pagan | 9:23 a.m. July 26, 2011

2) The Republican party raised the debt ceiling seven times and doubled the national debt.

What was the result of the 2008 elections? Let's see..Democrat President, Democrat controlled House AND Senate.

The American people had enough of the spending and expected the Democrats to avoid the spending.

If you agree to:

a) All land should be for public purposes
    b) Progressive or graduated income tax
    c) No rights of inheritance
    d) Centralize credit to the state
    e) Centralize means of communication and transportation to the state
    f) Improve land in accordance with a common plan
    g) Equal liability of all to work.
    h) Combining agriculture and manufacture industries and distributing population throughout country
    i) Free education for all children in public schools

You are a communist. The above is found in the Communist Manifesto. I'm sure Free Healthcare for all countrymen would be item j) today.

• Itchin'totalk Spanish Fork, UT
    July 26, 2011 9:54 a.m.

@Pagan... It is true that Mr. Bush added $4 Trillion to our National debt in 8 years, but why don't you take a look at how much Mr. Obama has added in a little over a year and a half?

• ClarkKent Bountiful, Utah
    July 26, 2011 9:31 a.m.

Welcome to Utah Mrs. Obama.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    July 26, 2011 9:23 a.m.

'Please go home and ask your husband to stop spending other people's money...' - DN Subscriber | 9:12 a.m. July 26, 2011

Because others do...such a 'better' job?

'Bush Administration Adds $4 Trillion To National Debt' - by Mark Knoller - CBS News - 09/29/08

'It'll be the 7th time the debt limit (ceiling) has been raised during this administration. In fact it was just two months ago, on July 30, that President Bush signed the Housing and Economic Recovery Act, which contained a provision raising the debt ceiling to $10.615 trillion.'

1) This is the First lady. She does not make national policy.

3) Have some class.

• Most Truthful and Patriotic Layton, UT
    July 26, 2011 9:17 a.m.

Welcome, Mrs Obama, to Utah.

Most of us are really great people, and we're proud you're here!

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    July 26, 2011 9:14 a.m.

Obama 2012

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 26, 2011 9:12 a.m.

Welcome to Utah!

Please go home and ask your husband to stop spending other people's money and enslaving future generations by his excessive spending.

And, please come back as a former First Lady, and show the kids some of Utah's great features when you are spending your own money.

• isrred Logan, UT
    July 26, 2011 9:08 a.m.

Welcome to our beautiful state, Mrs. Obama!

• DEW Sandy, UT
    July 26, 2011 8:39 a.m.

Why?

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    July 26, 2011 8:34 a.m.

talk about throwing your money away.