Utah

2 Utah hospitals land among the nation's best in annual ranking

Comments

• county mom Monroe, UT
    July 21, 2011 12:35 p.m.

Having had very close family members saved by the wonderful staff at University of Utah Hospital, I know they are one of the very best! They treat not just the injured but the entire family like real people. I can never say enough good about this hospital.(Pagan! I hope you were one of those great people.)

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    July 21, 2011 11:29 a.m.

Definitely must take issue with any accolades given to Salt Lake Regional Medical Center. As a medical professional observing ....found the place to be below the standards of anyplace I had ever observed or heard about. I was frightened to leave my family member, thus spending the night to be sure my family member would be safe.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    July 21, 2011 10:17 a.m.

I'm glad I work at the University of Utah hospital.

• Sparkie Lehi, UT
    July 20, 2011 11:06 p.m.

Re: Prodicus

It makes perfect sense. Maybe you should re-read the sentence.

And "worst leading sentence ever"?! At least you have a grasp on hyperbole.

• Prodicus Provo, UT
    July 19, 2011 10:18 p.m.

Re "Fewer hospitals in the country are out-performing themselves and others each year" :

This has got to be the worst leading sentence in an article ever. What the devil does it mean for an institution to outperform itself? In ranking hospitals each year, wouldn't the only way for fewer hospitals to outperform others be if more hospitals were exactly tied in the rankings? If that's the case, why not say that instead, and why should we care whether more hospitals are tied in rankings?

What an abuse of English. How this got past any editor is a mystery to me.

• casual observer Salt Lake City, UT
    July 19, 2011 7:34 p.m.

The criteria are suspect and many are subjective. "Reputation" is a big factor and that is exploited by each institutions public relations department. Best in Nation does not preclude expert care being given at other hospitals in Utah or substandard care given by some at the top.