Ex-BYU football player Reno Mahe, 4 others face felony theft charges in gasoline case

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    July 18, 2011 3:04 p.m.

Living very well........free gas!

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    July 18, 2011 2:42 p.m.

Living well on and off the field.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    July 18, 2011 2:09 p.m.

Gosh, a felony on his record? Hopefully Max Hall and Jan Jorgensen will hire him at the car wash they are opening up next year in Orem. Good luck Reno!!!!

• Mountainman56 Alpine, UT
    July 17, 2011 4:31 p.m.

Lots of stones being thrown here.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    July 17, 2011 5:34 a.m.

Ummm.... if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Wisdom for all to live by in situations involving money.

Why would gas be free just because you pull up to a pump of a company you don't work for ???? Defies the simplest of logic and doesn't pass the sniff test: why would this company extend me this benefit? If the guy were doing promotions for the company or something maybe you can see it making SOME sense... what a mess....

• MESOUTE Wandering, Earth
    July 16, 2011 11:58 a.m.

Come on all, lay off of Reno. First off he made a mistake. We all make mistakes. I make them everyday and I am willing to bet that many of you do as well. Second of all, Reno was not the only person involved. There were four others so why do you single out one person? Reno is a good guy. Of course he probably knew that it was not on the up and up but give him a break. I as a Utah fan do not see how this has anything to do with BYU, football, or anything else related to anything that we as fans care about. I can only hope that you who are bagging on Reno Mahe are never thrust into the public sphere for any mistake, big or small, that you might make. Ridiculous chatter on this issue from both sides as Utah fans bag on him and BYU fans respond with "Utah has more felons than BYU." Grow up.

• Civil Salt Lake City, UT
    July 16, 2011 10:28 a.m.

""It wasn't like I needed (A-Core's) gas," he said at the time. "I'll pay, if that's the deal. I'll pay my portion back if he wasn't allowed to give it to me. I'm not worried about that part. As a man, you pay back your debts."

As a man, you don't steal.

Sounds a lot like "I take responsibility for my actions." I am so sick of hearing that. When did accepting the punishment forced upon you because you were caught become "taking responsibility?"

Don't "take responsibility", act responsibly. And honorably.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    July 16, 2011 10:16 a.m.

Once it's been paid back, forgive and forget.

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    July 16, 2011 9:10 a.m.

To JSB - good point, because as we all know, Snoop Dogg, Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, Charlie Sheen, and all lawyers and politicians are setting such a high bar for character and integrity.

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    July 16, 2011 9:00 a.m.

Reno, you've lost sight of the prize. You've traded integrity for a tank of gas.

• wwookie Payson, UT
    July 16, 2011 2:53 a.m.

Wow, this is probably one football player who was not recruited/drafted because of his smarts - you don't find it a bit suspicious that gas is given to you for free? that you can only do it at night? that no one else was around except for your buddy?
    ...And then you are surprised to find out that the gas was stolen?

$2,000 is a lot of free gas. With the lockout, that free gas sounds good right now.

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    July 15, 2011 11:41 p.m.

I have been told repeatedly that the reason we have sports in high schools and college is that it builds character. But, research has shown the opposite. On the other hand, participation in debate, drama, music is actually a much better predictor of long term success. Why don't we stop paying for high school athletics? Our schools and our kids deserve better.

• Cougars --Best Little Brothers Irvine, CA
    July 15, 2011 8:57 p.m.

An honest man's the noblest work of God.
    Alexander Pope

• Cougars --Best Little Brothers Irvine, CA
    July 15, 2011 8:53 p.m.

Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest.
    Benjamin Franklin

Let us raise a standard to which the wise and honest can repair; the rest is in the hands of God.
    George Washington

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    George Washington

• Deep Thoughts Salt Lake City, UT
    July 15, 2011 7:53 p.m.

Ute fan here. This thing has nothing to do with BYU or the LDS Church. This is about men who made bad choices and now will experience the consequences of those choices. To state otherwise is childish, ignorant or simply untruthful.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    July 15, 2011 4:38 p.m.

There's no such thing as free gas. Really, there isn't!

If you have a conscience, and at least some intelligence, no way you're not going to know something isn't quite right with this picture when someone offers free gas AFTER HOURS.

Sounds like Reno might need some help, not simply justice.

Rationalization is an easy road to a sad life.

July 15, 2011 4:29 p.m.

If someone told me come on over and I will fill up your gas and he was one of my buddies, I would do it.

• nottyou Riverton, UT
    July 15, 2011 4:28 p.m.

Hedging: What is the felony count in BYU and Utah football program history? Please do the research and return and report.

• Silent Lurker Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 15, 2011 3:51 p.m.

"I didn't know it was stealing" is the best you could come up with? Please, do you think the judge is in kindergarten? "I'll pay it back" you sure will and them some.

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    July 15, 2011 3:30 p.m.

If BYU fans are going to spout out how great character guys are at BYU and religous and whatnot we are gonna hold you to it. So if you can't take any criticism about a former BYU/LDS player get out of the kitchen

• Igualmente Mesa, AZ
    July 15, 2011 2:09 p.m.

Too bad for Junior. If you don't do things right the first time, its all repair work.

• MT UTE Missoula, MT
    July 15, 2011 1:57 p.m.

Ouch! The whole point of the honor code is to LIVE IT even when you are not in school. Great exposure for the Church.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    July 15, 2011 1:03 p.m.

It's too bad it happened to anyone. (Ute or Cougar) Reno seems like a decent person. Bad things happen to good people and all of us mess up. Because he used to be a hero of many, he gets the big publicity. Could happen to anyone. Should not reflect poorly on his family or any university. That sucks!

• JTB Tracy, CA
    July 15, 2011 11:32 a.m.

"Please remember the presumption of innocence in a case like this. None of us really knows what happened, so let's hold off on judgment until this thing plays out."

This presumption only applies in court. There is no law (or honor code) that should prevent the public from making a judgment based on the PUBLIC ADMISSION of guilt in the newspaper. Trying to apply a presumption of innocence outside of court is like me complaining that the Deseret News is violating my freedom of speech when it invariably censors this comment - it just doesn't apply.

• ArticunoBYU Highland, UT
    July 15, 2011 11:11 a.m.

I am a die-hard cougar. My apologies, I Was thinking of someone else. oh boy oh boy! Do I sure feel sheepish now!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    July 15, 2011 10:58 a.m.

Weren't you on here bragging about how Reno was at the utes spring game decked head to toe in utah gear? Maybe wearing all that red junk clouded his judgment?

Where a guy went to school has nothing to do with this. Obviously these guys did something they shouldn't have been doing, regardless of what they may have been told they had to know that it couldn't be completely on the up and up but the thought of getting free gas seems to have lead them to ignore their better judgment. If guilty, and it sounds like they are, they will be punished.

But as far as the ute trolls trying to make this an issue with BYU are concerned, well he is wearing your gear now isn't he? If he is it sounds like his judgement has been tainted by the clothes he chooses to wear and the company he is currently keeping. No surprise there LOL!

• govt rocks Salt Lake City, UT
    July 15, 2011 10:54 a.m.

DSB, I am loving the comments. I fully acknowledge people do dumb things all the time. I am included in that, but i have not broken the law outside a few speeding tickets. I did grow up in a culture that taught me it is wrong to take anything that does not belong to me, so I don't. Reno mahe grew up in the same culture but if guilty, he clearly did not take the lesson to heart and conveniently tucked it away to serve him when it was convenient for him.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    July 15, 2011 10:54 a.m.

"ESPN has better things to put on TV, Like football games."

Star fairy,

Actually I'm seeing a ESPN "behind the lines" episode it the works. It fits the guidelines.

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    July 15, 2011 10:49 a.m.

I thought by now someone would have said the BYU man was set up by the UTE man...
    Just the way it seems to work....
    Go UTES!

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    July 15, 2011 10:48 a.m.

@ArticunoBYU 10:06 a.m. - you may have noticed, but over 40 people commented on this story before you, and no one mentioned that Reno Mahe passed up the Y to attend Utah. Apparently you're the only one who is aware of that.

Please admit that you're some kind of poser trying to make BYU fans look stupid, because if you're really a BYU fan, you're severely dropping our intelligence average, not only with your error about Mahe's school, but by the ridiculously embarrassing "no way this happens" if he went to BYU, as well as the sophomoric mocking of "Utsies" for justifying the conduct of a BYU player.

I'm begging you to please change your school loyalties.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    July 15, 2011 10:43 a.m.

I have a friend who is a prominent Orange County defense attorney. He recently defended a former BYU hoops player. I understand that the hoops player is now accused of a bigger scam and is trouble again.

My father formed an insurance company in Canada with three LDS "businessmen" from Utah. While the company was perfectly legit, one of the men, who was a bishop in the Canadian ward, was arrested for illegally selling his personal stock in the company. The second was arrested by the RCMP while at choir practice for some malfeasance. The third was just a bad guy and was fired before he did anything illegal, or at least before he was caught.

Point is, church membership does not guarantee morality. In fact, Mormons are targets to a lot of scams by a "brother in the gospel." Utah is famous for them. While the bad guys are probably as rare as mobsters going to mass, it is sad when a former BYU athlete gets caught up in unethical or criminal activity. But we're all human. Sometimes we do stupid things.

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    July 15, 2011 10:40 a.m.

And he attended BYU?

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    July 15, 2011 10:37 a.m.

UgottaloveMaxie | 10:11 a.m. July 15, 2011

So since "U folks" don't profess to be better, or have morals, or be righteous that it is... what??? O.K. to be bad? Can they steal gas since they don't profess to be righteous?

ESPN has better things to put on TV, Like football games.

Maybe you've noticed... BYU has 10.

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    July 15, 2011 10:28 a.m.

@govt rocks - good people do stupid things all the time. Maybe you're perfect, and all your friends and family are perfect, so you don't realize that, but it's very much true for the rest of us.

Furthermore, Reno Mahe deserves the same justice that anyone else in the same situation gets. My guess is that anyone who admits the mistake and makes full financial restitution, and has no prior offenses, would get a reduced charge, a slap on the wrist, and serve no time whatsoever for something like this.

But then, you're "loving this whole thing," so I very much doubt that normal justice would quench your strange thirst for the humiliation of Mahe. Did you grow up in a culture of knowing that the misfortune of others is not a good thing? Do you consider yourself "good?" Do good people love the humiliation of others and relish in their suffering of severe penalties for poor decisions?

• Troll Hunter Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 15, 2011 10:26 a.m.

All I can say is:

Starfarer 2
    HedgeHog 0

• UgottaloveMaxie SLC, UT
    July 15, 2011 10:11 a.m.

@Laser - difference is that the U folks don't profess to be righteous and obeying the honor code and a better institution. May all you remember that Reno was booted out of school in his college days for honor code violation (ala Harvey Unga, Brandon Davies, etc) before coming back to finish. BYU and their fan base put a HUGE target on their backs by their claims about being better.

Did we ever figure out the ESPN schedule replay on BYUtv thing for the survelience video? I'm setting my DVR soon.

• Troll Hunter Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 15, 2011 10:10 a.m.

I couldn't have said it ant better.

**Everyone should read his comment**

And hopefully HedgeHog will.

• ArticunoBYU Highland, UT
    July 15, 2011 10:06 a.m.

ha ha UTSIES! another one of your players is in trouble! reno grew up a Y fan and then went to the U. Big mistake. If he had gone to the y, no way this happens. He would still be in the NFL. I laugh at all the little Utsies trying to justify their boy's actions!

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    July 15, 2011 10:02 a.m.

I fail to see why playing football at BYU has anything to do with this story. Those ragging on the Y somehow left out the NFL.....maybe they're to blame, too, using your logic, or is criminal activity OK (or even expected) in the NFL?

My question: If everyone involved thought it was OK, why didn't they do it in broad daylight in front of the boss?

I was put in charge of the company gas at a construction site once and no way would I ever use any for my personal vehicle and when asked once after hours to "help just a few gallons" I said "Get the boss to approve it in writing and I'll put it in your tank in front of everybody, not after hours." The gas was never thusly dispensed, nor requested again.

When I lived in West Valley once a neighborhood youth was caught stealing siding on a Sunday night from a new house. He told the police that the construction company had given it to him. I told the responding police officer "That's why he needs to get it on Sunday night, at dark I suppose." He was arrested.

• govt rocks Salt Lake City, UT
    July 15, 2011 9:57 a.m.

Loving this whole thing. Someone said he was a good guy? Good guys don't steal $2000 worth of anything. Especially guys who grow up in a culture of knowing stealing is not a good thing. IF found guilty, he should serve time.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    July 15, 2011 9:57 a.m.

Another thought.

Define exposure?

Did this man make a mistake? Appears so.

Did BYU football program make a mistake? No.

Did the church or religion make him steal gas? Nope.

Did a ute fan try to link them all together? appears so.

• Troll Hunter Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 15, 2011 9:55 a.m.

@ SocalUtahFan

Are you through Preaching?

Reno will get what's coming to him....

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    July 15, 2011 9:52 a.m.

@Troll Hunter

So based on your logic, nobody is ever allowed to criticize or judge anyone on anything, right? After all, none of us is perfect...we all sin. I'd love to see how our society functions if we implemented what you say. The judicial system would certainly be interesting.

More likely I think this is the case of you being a BYU fan, and as such, you just want this whole issue to go away. But if this were a former Utah player caught stealing gas, you'd be casting plenty of stones yourself. Come on, be honest...that's what's really going on here, isn't it?

• Eddie Would Go FPO, AE
    July 15, 2011 9:50 a.m.

Wow. Reno has a lot of gas.

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    July 15, 2011 9:46 a.m.

Two words utah fans: Vileseni Fauonuku.

I'd probably be quiet.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    July 15, 2011 9:44 a.m.

I find it hilarious that you think that it makes me feel uncomfortable to have someone of my faith be charged with a crime. Why? Do I have responsibility for him? Does his actions reflect poorly on every other Mormon? We all get judged by his actions?

Why is it when a Mormon does something bad, media fools and people like you jump straight to pointing it out? When was the last time some idiot did something stupid and the media and pundits point out that he was Jewish, or Catholic, or Methodist?

If you, or the media, or any pundit, didn't first regard us as having higher standards, you wouldn't point out our religion. By the mere fact that you have to point it out proves it. But, despite your fervent wish of doing damage, it does the opposite. Yes, he was stupid, yes if it's true he should get every consequence, but the "exposure" isn't what you want it to be because people already know that we have higher standards.

This doesn't hurt BYU at all. People who haven't got an axe to grind will see it for what it is: a man made a mistake.

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    July 15, 2011 9:41 a.m.

BYU is being attacked because of a former athlete? Can we start dishing on Utah U now becauase of Luther Ellis and his super poor decisions? Steve Smith for punching out his own teamate.

Isn't this the same universisty who has several "criminals" on it's own team right now, according to Sports Illustrated?

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    July 15, 2011 9:34 a.m.

I feel bad for Reno. Really great guy caught in a bad situation. Maybe he knew, maybe he didnt. This type of mistake can be easily rectified. Still one of favorite BYU players of all time.

At least he wasnt driving drunk down the wrong side of the freeway. OOPS!

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    July 15, 2011 9:29 a.m.

Part of Honor Codes:

-Obedience to the law
    -Respect for others (this will include others' properties)

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    July 15, 2011 9:24 a.m.

Isn't "Thou shalt not steal" one of the honor codes?

• Troll Hunter Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 15, 2011 9:20 a.m.

He made a bad choice and may have surrounded himself with the wrong friends.

People make stupid mistakes, big and small.

*Let he who is without sin cast the first stone*

• carabaoU Moab, UT
    July 15, 2011 9:19 a.m.

"JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt | 4:58 p.m. July 14, 2011
    Beverly Hills, CA
    carabaoU | 4:32 p.m. July 14, 2011
    Moab, UT
    Couldn't find a Ute to pump your [gas for] yous?

First of all, your grammar definitely shows you went to BYU."
    - - - - - -
    I chose the "yous" as a reference to the Polynesian way of saying "y'all" or "all of you" but I guess I have to step down to the intelligence of those who read these boards so they can understand me more clearly. I'm sorry. I will remember next time I post a comment.

• TheFitz Murray, UT
    July 15, 2011 9:18 a.m.

Bummer for Reno. I am a die hard Ute fan, but LOVED watching Mahe at Brighton High School and even enjoyed watching him at BYU. He was an exciting player to watch. Hopefully he can try to make this right by paying the company back and dealing with the punishments for his actions.

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    July 15, 2011 8:50 a.m.

@bulldog1995 - you say "Wow, lots of judging and presumed guilt here without knowing all the information." I had to laugh when you then immediately judged others and presumed guilt of racism without "knowing all the information." And then laughed again when you compounded your own race-colored vision of the situation by presenting a possible justification of their naivete by referencing the trusting nature of their friendships, based on their race and culture.

It seems only one person has racial motivations here.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    July 15, 2011 8:31 a.m.

"You'll never catch that guy without a huge smile on his face"

Of course you won't - he's getting free gas! If I was getting free gas, I'd have a huge smile on my face too.

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    July 15, 2011 8:13 a.m.

Mahe don't do the denial thing. Over $2000.00 worth of gas you never paid for? C'mon, the judge is going to roll his eyes when he hears that. Be a man, admit you stole, clean up your life the right way.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    July 15, 2011 7:38 a.m.

"Will this be on ESPN and replayed on bYutv?.....( in HD!)"

Dare to compare which program has more felonies?

Didn't think so.

Not making excuses for this guy. If he's guilty (and really that stupid) then he should get everything that's coming to him.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    July 15, 2011 7:30 a.m.

I'm sorry but if you are taking gas that was supposed to be for company use, you should pay whatever fine or time it requires.

Poor decisions are poor decisions.

BTW......all of you saying that we don't know the whole story...there is video of the man and he say's he'll "payback" whatever he used. Nice that he realizes it now though.

There is enough DUI news down south to keep the media busy.

• J. Adams Sandy, UT
    July 15, 2011 6:14 a.m.

Reno: honnor code dude, did you forget it?

• the cost of freedom salt lake city, ut
    July 15, 2011 5:49 a.m.

ah yes , they rob graves don't they? oh but its all apart of the culture thing right...whats the difference..just because you can makes it right? And that man up thing was used before..similarities and the other guy gets to go on teaching the very culture he stole from...dont make sense.

• UtahUte16 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 15, 2011 12:05 a.m.

First, how does one think they can 'get away' with stealing gas when the history of transactions is traceable.

That being said, I feel this is just a poor decision by a great guy. "Let he who has no sin cast the first stone."

• JP Skillet SLC, UT
    July 14, 2011 10:35 p.m.

@Realistic Goggles, huggyface, Bulldog1995 - these men knew what they were doing was wrong. I have 3 specific, separate sources with information about the situation, one within the company, one on the legal side and anther related to the "boss" who was "authorizing" the stolen gas. What's interesting is that they were caught on tape late at night filling up their cars, sneaking around, and when other trucks would pull up, they would scatter and hide. They've even admitted it. They'll try to take a plea for less charges for cooperating but the A-Core group will prosecute to the full extent of the law and these guys deserve what they get.

The comments about pumping gas are pretty funny! I wonder what Larry Gomes is up to these days...

• higv Dietrich, ID
    July 14, 2011 9:52 p.m.

I thought they did away with farewells. At least not supposed to be a big program with speakers. Any case he defintly can afford his gas.

• Bulldog1995 South Jordan, Utah
    July 14, 2011 9:35 p.m.

Wow, lots of judging and presumed guilt here without knowing all the information. Can't help but think now that race may be an issue. Here's some inside scoop for those working blind.
    Mr. Evers went to high school with Mahe and were friends. He convinces the Mahe and friends that he's a big boss at A-Core and that one of his perks is free gas and his monthly allotment is way more than he needs so he offers it to them. In return, they gave him tickets to quite a few sporting events as well as free gear which are some perks they get as athletes and former players. Unfortunately fthey take his word for it, especially when he has them come to company grounds as well as deliver gas to their homes! Call naive or whatever you want, but Polynesians are trusting friends.
    $2800 really wouldn't hurt neither men at all financially. They just provided a free football clinic for over 500 boys at Alta High School that included lunch and dinner for 2 days with Money out of their pockets along with Fahu Tahi and Gabe Reed.
    Does that sound like something criminals would do?

• huggyface Murray, UT
    July 14, 2011 8:19 p.m.

If one of my friends said that I could have free gas I might not give a second thought. might....

We don't know the circumstances here. Let's not throw any stones.... (he would probably catch them anyway - he was a pro receiver)

• PGVikingDad Pleasant Grove, UT
    July 14, 2011 7:41 p.m.

This is unbelievably out of character for Reno. You'll never catch that guy without a huge smile on his face. And he's a millionaire ($2.2M in career earnings.) What was he thinking? Maybe he was just numbed to freebies from five years of NFL schwag to ask the obvious: "Who's paying for this?"

• owlmaster2 Kaysville, UT
    July 14, 2011 7:37 p.m.

I care sammyg, springville, 7:10....

Theft is a crime. Do the crime, do the time.

"Thou shalt not steal"

Go Utes

• Big Rock Salt Lake City, UT
    July 14, 2011 7:11 p.m.

Do you have to commit a felony to speak at mission farewells these days?

• sammyg Springville, UT
    July 14, 2011 7:10 p.m.

Who cares? Now if we could find some DUI dirt up north, would that be 'news'?

• Ironmomo Ogden, Utah
    July 14, 2011 7:01 p.m.

"As a man, you pay back your debts."...ummm...as a man, you don't steal

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    July 14, 2011 6:53 p.m.

Will this be on ESPN and replayed on bYutv?.....( in HD!)

• Realistic Goggles Alpine, UT
    July 14, 2011 5:58 p.m.

• cowboy99 South Jordan, UT
    July 14, 2011 5:40 p.m.

That's too bad. Sigh...

• chiefbrady Salt Lake City, UT
    July 14, 2011 5:20 p.m.

"I don't need gas" but he'll take whatever is given huh? How many of us would fill up our tanks without paying for it and never worry about the repercussions?

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    July 14, 2011 4:58 p.m.

carabaoU | 4:32 p.m. July 14, 2011
    Moab, UT
    Couldn't find a Ute to pump your yous?

First of all, your grammar definitely shows you went to BYU.

Secondly, why did Mahe's BYU education result in felony charges?

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    July 14, 2011 4:48 p.m.

Gooooooooo Cougars!

• carabaoU Moab, UT
    July 14, 2011 4:32 p.m.

Couldn't find a Ute to pump your gas for yous?

• mediabiases Orem, UT
    July 14, 2011 4:23 p.m.

Yeah, because I've been caught, I'll man-up and pay for what I've stolen. Somehow that's justifiable honor.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    July 14, 2011 4:16 p.m.

More exposure. Let the Justice System run its course, but this is not good.