Sports

Blue roundup: National reaction to BYU media day

Comments

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    July 15, 2011 12:40 a.m.

Disclaimer: Posters please avoid mgr69, Starfarer, and Duckhunter. For they know not how foolish and hate filled they are.

This thread was producing some really intelligent banter before those fools showed up.

Here's hoping they bless us with their absence here, and on future threads.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    July 14, 2011 8:52 p.m.

MenaceToSociety | 5:37 p.m. July 13, 2011

"...There are something like 68 million Catholics in this country. BYU just can't touch that..."

and 67.3 million of them are soccer fans.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    July 14, 2011 5:04 p.m.

Nobody in the Pac hates Utah. They don't know them well enough to love or hate them yet. I think they may underestimate them -- they will learn soon enough not to.

But -- back to the actual article: Media day was great. ESPN does seem to be showcasing their new partner. That's good to see. I loved seeing the Bronc all tanned and relaxed from surfing the Cali coastline. He seems renewed and excited for this next season. I didn't get this same feeling from him last Summer. His words then were cautious -- especially about the QB situation with Heaps and Riley. Mostly, I am excited to FINALLY get to watch my Cougars play. I haven't been able to do that much since we moved here from Utah.

• SLC BYU Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    July 14, 2011 12:22 p.m.

While I believe Tom Holmoe, I however dont doubt the Big-East did put out a feeler on the situation. It wasnt an outright offer as some love to assert. If I were Tom Holmoe I would do EVERYTHING to keep the lid on this one since it was a football only inquiry. Dave Rose and the basketball team as well as the other sports felt chucked under the bus last August as it is and I doubt Holmoe or the other senior administrators at BYU would entertain such a move that would further distance the perceived value of the other sports from the football program. I dont think all the chairs are filled in this league realignment and dont see it finalized for any period of stability until 2015 at the earliest. The Big-East starting next year followed by the Big-12 a couple of years later are next up to renegotiate their first tier football TV rights. Despite the BYU-hating naysayers who think the schools no Sunday play policy would preclude them (the perpetual broken record!), the Big-12 could very easily step forward and invite BYU sooner than later.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    July 13, 2011 10:23 p.m.

@ MenaceToSociety - 5:37 p.m. July 13, 2011

Well, when BYU beats ND, they DO "touch" their fans, dont' they?

BYU HAS beaten ND in the past (and at THEIR place, too), and will do so in the future. Touchy, touchy!

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    July 13, 2011 10:00 p.m.

@I Still Can't Say It "I support the team in Provo's move to independence. Its conference mates have never liked the Cougars and it's always the most hated member.

BYU's like the weird annoying family that most neighborhoods have..."

Very true, it's a "weird" family for having standards and sticking to them, and it's an "annoying" family because they win at everything. No wonder people are happy to see them go :)

@mgr63

I dunno why you keep saying that BYU always has a slow defense...2006 and 2007 they were considered the fastest D in the conference!

This year, Pendleton and Van Noy (2 LB's) have been clocked in the 4.5 time in the 40 with Kaveinga at a 4.6.

Jordan Johnson and Joe Sampson (2 Db's) have been clocked in the 4.4 area with Preston Hadley and Corbie Eason coming in around 4.5.

But I guess we'll have to see how it plays out on the field...players are generally supposed to be faster than that in game time :)

Go Cougars!

• PressureDrop Provo, UT
    July 13, 2011 9:40 p.m.

@mgr69: "BYU has MAYBE 2 million fans at the most. And, about 20+ million football fans in the US that want to see them lose every game"

You're seriously suggesting that there are 20+ million people in the USA that want BYU to lose every game. In other words, about 7% of the population -- 7 out of 100 men, women and children -- hates BYU?

So if I visited an elementary school in Baltimore with 1000 students, 70 of those young 'uns will be watching BYU play on ESPN and hoping they lose? And if I go to hospital in Florida with 500 patients: 35 of those patients will be wearing red when BYU plays the Utes in September?

I think you're overestimating how many people even know about BYU enough to hate them.

Your 2 million BYU fans number, on the other hand, is also weak. There are millions of LDS church members in the USA who will root for BYU, regardless of where they live. Plus, there are LOT of non-LDS folk who have enjoyed the exciting style of football BYU has played over the past 30 years enough to watch their games on ESPN.

• I Still Can't Say It Holladay, UT
    July 13, 2011 9:28 p.m.

BYU's like the weird annoying family that most neighborhoods have. It's better for everyone if that family moves out to the country where it can't bother anyone any longer.

The last thing to do here is for the Utes to no longer play the team in Provo any longer.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    July 13, 2011 8:04 p.m.

mgr,
    Did you even watch the TCU game. 2 of their first three touchdowns were on a long field in the first quarter. That has nothing to do with the offense and more to do with the fact that the secondary kept letting TCU receivers get behind them.

• riddlemethis Clearfield, UT
    July 13, 2011 7:53 p.m.

@MGR 63 wrote:

PS. You'll never see a Ute fan with some ridiculous t-shirt on claiming we are an "awesome" football team like the cougars do every darn year.......the jokers!

You're right. The phrase MAFU was always on hats not on shirts...

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    July 13, 2011 7:42 p.m.

@antiBCS

When the Ute offense couldn't do anything.....3 and outs on most possessions, any defense gets tired. When Jordan Wynn got injured mid-season.......game, set, match.........that is why the Utes were very mediocre last year and way overrated.......like BYU is every year.

• anti BCS Anaheim, CA
    July 13, 2011 7:21 p.m.

"other schools respect the U of U and speak highly of their speedy, stingy defense"

What happened to that speedy, stingy defense against TCU (7-47), Notre Dame (3-28) and BSU (3-26)?

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    July 13, 2011 7:16 p.m.

MenaceToSociety/mgr63

"Notre Dame of the west"...........ay yes? Isn't that just "vintage" cougar fan hyperbole?"

Isn't big brother envy vintage Utah fan insecurity?

The comment about BYU becoming Notre Dame West was made by a CBS Sportswriter:

Brett McMurphy
    CBSSports.com Senior Writer

"By being on national television virtually every week, BYU could quickly become Notre Dame West or an even a much smaller version of the New York Yankees - well, if the Yankees had an honor code."

We do empathize with your plight, however. Just when you thought you'd finally surpassed your big brother, you look around and discover that almost every BYU game will be on ESPN, while U couldn't even manage one single ESPN game without the help of big brother.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    July 13, 2011 7:09 p.m.

starfarer,

Don't worry about what everyone is saying, mgr showed up and took the hate to a whole new level.

To all the Utah fans who were so quick to jump on star, where are you when one of your own is so out of control?

As for you mgr, where do you get this 2 million number? Back it up. Quote a source. You have no credibility when you have proven in the past that all you do is throw out made up numbers and mix in a bigoted comment now and then.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    July 13, 2011 6:30 p.m.

@PAC12Fan

Utah has definitely turned some heads, that's for sure. If you read the sports boards on various sites, the vast majority of fans from other schools respect the U of U and speak highly of their speedy, stingy defense most notably. We Ute fans are grateful for all the great things that have happened to our program this century and we are hopeful that our Ute squad will represent the PAC12 well and maybe appear in the Rose Bowl someday if we can continue to improve.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    July 13, 2011 6:22 p.m.

I doubt the utes are hated by the pac10 teams. None of them have any reason to hate them. utah's success against pac10 teams is minimal and they aren't striking fear in any of them. I can easily see how the pac10 fans will come to despise the classless utah fans after being exposed to them regularly but I highly doubt utah as a progam will ever be consistently successful enough to foment any hate from the rest of the pac10 schools.

Hate is reserved only for those programs that consistently beat everyone else. That is not something the utes will ever have to worry about.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    July 13, 2011 6:10 p.m.

I moved from the the West Coast and the bozo that wrote that the Utes are hated are fabricating stories. The Utes are a novelty to my collegues. Maybe your blue buddies hate Utah for not liking BYU but you need to get your facts correct.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    July 13, 2011 6:01 p.m.

"Notre Dame of the west"...........ay yes? Isn't that just "vintage" cougar fan hyperbole? BYU has MAYBE 2 million fans at the most. And, about 20+ million football fans in the US that want to see them lose every game. Notre Dame is the most popular football team in the history of the sport..........The only team with a network TV contract no less. Oh my goodness......it just never ends. Even on ESPN the other night there was a segment on "independence" discussed in a round table format and every analyst on the panel all but broke up in laughter when BYU claimed that erroneous possibility. Can't BYU just be a factor at some point? Isn't that good enough for their fan base? I guess not, so they invent crap and embarrass themselves to no end, continuously. My goodness?

• MenaceToSociety Draper, UT
    July 13, 2011 5:37 p.m.

Yes, Notre Dame West.... with about 5% of the total fanbase Notre Dame has. There are something like 68 million Catholics in this country. BYU just can't touch that.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    July 13, 2011 5:16 p.m.

HAHAHAHA! A trip to the sweet 16 for the first time in 30 years and the rabid Y fan thinks that the "honor code" cost them the NCAA title possibly? OMG? That is rich! HAHAHAHA! Honestly, is there any better entertainment than ardent BYU fans........? Not a chance!

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    July 13, 2011 5:07 p.m.

Ute fan, here. I didn't watch or hear much about the BYU media day, other than what was presented in this article. However, I did hear a lot of chat on 700 AM (our ESPN sports radio station). ESPN seems genuinely excited about this new relationship with BYU! Of course they are....they've signed an independent team with a presence in every state, and nearly every country.

This just seems like a win-win for BYU and ESPN. Good luck to the Y!

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    July 13, 2011 4:43 p.m.

BYU will gain both new friends and new enemies because of the honor code and its media attention this year.

New friends will come from those who respect BYU's sticking to its honor code in spite of it costing them a chance at the national championship in basketball, and from those who respect having an honor code.

New enemies will come from those who are jealous because they can't (and maybe don't want to) have any semblance of an honor code.

The world's full of lovers and haters, as we BYU fans reading posts to DNews articles are quite aware of.

• mgr63 DALLAS, TX
    July 13, 2011 4:39 p.m.

All I can say is that I went to the U and the U of Hawaii. My college years were a blast, wild times..........."honor code?" In college? HAHAHAHA! That would have ruined all the fun.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    July 13, 2011 4:35 p.m.

I had several people at work (mostly Texas fans) who watched the 15 minute Media Day segment on ESPN yesterday, and were impressed. I don't think any of them tuned into BYUtv for the whole enchilada like I did. But how many college football teams get 15 minutes of fame on ESPN for their Media Day?

And it's not like there was big news. I think the biggest announcement they made was Bronco's 3 year contract. ESPN is clearly doing what they can to help us to Independence.

• riddlemethis Clearfield, UT
    July 13, 2011 4:22 p.m.

Starfarer:

The only reason Devilish Ute knows about your purported "diatribe" is because he's hanging out on a BYU article.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    July 13, 2011 3:55 p.m.

Laser,

"Funny to watch utah fans react"

The only one funny to watch here is Starfarer and he is not a Utah fan.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    July 13, 2011 3:20 p.m.

Starfarer:

I think the reality of it is, is that the Utes are up against some heavy odds in the Pac-12. But that being said, Utah is no team to underestimate or take lightly by any Pac-12 team. Utah is strong enough particularly at defensive line to hang around with most teams in the country. For the rest of the Pac-12's sake, just coming from a BYU fan, don't take the Utes lightly or you might be sorry.

Utes aside, I'm thrilled to death for my Cougars! There isn't a weak spot on the team in terms of experience except for the secondary, but even still I would daresay the BYU secondary has better athletes and more depth, I would argue, then they have ever had, ever. (Not necessarily a gigantic accomplishment considering BYU secondaries of the past). But in other words, I think that they have closed the talent gap in the secondary with a lot of teams with the kind of athletes they have. I'm not saying they could beat any team in the country, but there isn't a game on BYU's schedule they can't win in my opinion.

• UtahUte16 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 13, 2011 3:17 p.m.

Starfarer

Let it go, you'll feel a lot better inside. It's just a game, it's meant to be fun. I've read your posts for quite a while and they always make me laugh. If you really hate a bunch of buildings and the people that reside in them, then I feel sorry for you. I love the rivalry and enjoy the banter, but I do respect BYU, it's a fine institution. I realize that fans (like you) don't represent the university so I'm willing to look beyond your post.

Although the honor code seems 'weird', I'm glad someone sticks up for what they believe in nowadays. The honor code is meant to keep young men and women strong and healthy spiritually/physically/mentally, how is that a bad thing?

There's my pro-BYU post for the month.

GO UTES!

• AZRods Maricopa, AZ
    July 13, 2011 3:14 p.m.

As a devout ASU fan, I'd say we and UofA had better check our win/loss record from the past few years before we take Utah lightly.
    Although, ASU should be a pretty good team this year.
    Personally, I'm hoping Utah comes to the PAC12 with another one of their bruising defensive teams to earn some quick respect.
    Is anybody else ready for some college football???

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    July 13, 2011 3:03 p.m.

Big success yesterday and a lot of fun. They'll just get better each year.

Funny to watch utah fans react. I thought being in the PAC 12 would elevate them so high that they'd be pretty laid back towards BYU. Wow, I guess not, jealousy is a tough habit to break.

• deductive reasoning Arlington, VA
    July 13, 2011 2:22 p.m.

JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt

Whining about playing on ESPN 10 times this season, instead of only once for that mighty BCS school? Hardly!

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    July 13, 2011 2:16 p.m.

IndianaCoug,

That non LDS kid you referred to must not have talked to Kyle Whittingham. He has an honor code for his team and he runs a tight ship.

Starfarer,

I could literally feel the hate in your comment. OK, we Ute fans get it. You don't like Utah and never will. You seem obsessed with posting this stuff every day. Wow, and you must be proud of yourself because as of right now you have five recommendations from other Utah haters.

• B C Park City, UT
    July 13, 2011 2:08 p.m.

The Big East rumor was simply an inquiry from the Big East about whether BYU would be interested in joining the Big East as a football-only member. No official offer was ever made by the Big East, so no official rejection of an offer was ever given by BYU. No official announcement was ever made, because an inquiry, by definition, is simply part of the information gathering stage of a business arrangement.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    July 13, 2011 2:00 p.m.

BYU still whining about losing is typical of their ongoing good but not great that has them going independent instead of to a BCS conference.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    July 13, 2011 1:42 p.m.

Starfarer

Just a suggestion; wait until after the usual suspects post one of their inane comments before lashing out at them. Then rebut their feeble smack with facts and subtle jabs. Don't give them the satisfaction of giving them more attention than they deserve.

BYU Media Day, imho, was a huge success in setting the stage for the unique challenges and endless possibilities created for BYU by going independent.

10 games on ESPN is more than even the most die-hard BYU fan imagined last fall when BYU announced its partnership with ESPN. Most importantly, The BYU/ESPN/BYUtv partnership is giving BYU fans worldwide unprecendented access to BYU sports, not to mention, better media attention than BYU has ever had.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    July 13, 2011 1:03 p.m.

I never bought into the Big East rumor. There is only one "journalist" who reported it and he is really nothing more than a glorified blogger, and he offered no evidence other than telling readers to "connect the dots".

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    July 13, 2011 1:03 p.m.

My crow was a bit stringy but tasted ok with a lot of barbecue sauce. I read, and believed that BYU had spoken with the Big East.
    On another note. In spite of the rumors that the rest of the PAC hates or takes the Utes lightly, I have to say BS. Before they joined I'm betting it was more indifference. The Utes are now the enemy and they have beaten the PAC teams enough to have their respect. I am sure that, like me, most posters know a few Ute and BYU fans but to say that all the U of A or ASU fans hate the Utes is ridiculous.

Coach Whittingham is a class act and has his own personal standards which are, I'm sure, very similar to BYU's. Many of the players have the same "self imposed" honor code because of their personal values or religious convictions. They are not held to them to the level BYU players are by the school or the coaches, but they have them just the same.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    July 13, 2011 12:54 p.m.

Didn't have anything better to do last hour as I was waiting for some business to come in...

Interesting, when I make broad assumptions people correct me, lets see if that same correction happens when other broad assumptions are made. Let's see if that knife is sharp on both sides shall we?

I can't wait for football!

• chicagoborn WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    July 13, 2011 12:44 p.m.

@starfarer

You seem like a really reputable source and I am sure you speak for entire PAC 12 when you say that the rest of the PAC 12 doesn't like the University of Utah. After all you are just some random person living in Arizona that happens to know what everyone else is saying so I'm sure you know what you're talking about. All I know is that I can't wait for the college football season to start. Good luck to BYU and Utah. (And Michigan)

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    July 13, 2011 12:41 p.m.

Go Cougs, time to shine

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    July 13, 2011 12:40 p.m.

Maybe it's time for a fan honor code.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    July 13, 2011 12:40 p.m.

Star Fairy-

I also live in PAC-12 country and am hearing the exact opposite of you as far as the Utes go. ASU fans are taking them serious. I attended both Utah and ASU and have many contacts at both schools. You need to lighten up and quit mentioning Utah in your posts, especially since you claim that you no longer care about them in diatribe after diatribe.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    July 13, 2011 12:35 p.m.

FYI, I've heard Coach Whittingham talk about the code of conduct for his players. Regardless of anyone's opinion of some, not the majority of, Ute fans, Coach Whitt is a class act.

• Chris Bryant SLC, UT
    July 13, 2011 12:30 p.m.

@Starfarer

wow. you need to take a break from the rivalry. You are becoming just as consumed in bitterness as hedgehog is. Your bitterness only hurts you. just let it go and enjoy BYU's success.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    July 13, 2011 12:27 p.m.

Kudos to BYU for making the most of this opportunity. Even though I'm a diehard Ute, I am interested to see how it plays out.

To all those who insisted that a Big East invite occurred despite ANY concrete evidence, you can now eat crow. Holmoe, himself, disclosed that the runmors were utterly false.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    July 13, 2011 12:12 p.m.

Interesting....

Seems like the country paid about as much attention to BYU's media day as they do about any media day from any school, but let's wait for the ute troll opinion before we can truly assess whether it was a success or not. After all, they know so much...

I live in PAC 10.2 ASU territory and love to hear what the ASU fans think of the utes. They, nor the rest of the PAC 10.2, have any respect for them. ute fans always trash BYU about being hated, well, I got news for you. Welcome to being hated by the rest of your conference.

I can't wait to go with my buddy, in a year or so, to watch the Sun Devils trash the utes. I might even turn into a semi ASU fan on those days. Heck, I got another buddy who is a UofA fan, and he's invited me to that beat down too.

Never wanted anything to do with the utes, but now I just might have a reason, on the other side...

• IndianaCoug Bloomington, IN
    July 13, 2011 12:08 p.m.

I'm amazed by how much attention the BYU honor code has been given by the national media in the last six months. BYU is really separating itself from the pack through increased national exposure for doing the right things and having success on the field (and court)... which all contributes to the national brand.
    It was cool to hear Bronco yesterday talk of the non-LDS player who, after his visit to the Y, started asking other elite BCS teams about their honor codes. He ultimately signed with BYU partly because no other school had a code of conduct that they held their players accountable to. Which goes to show that we CAN recruit top talent, even non-lds talent, because student-athletes want the BYU experience (and because they know their family and friends can watch them on t.v.). Go Cougs!