Utah

First lady Michelle Obama will be in Park City on July 26

Comments

• tigger AMERICAN FORK, UT
    July 9, 2011 8:04 p.m.

I'm a Utah County conservative. I like her. I am glad she is coming. I would love to see her. And I hope those who do see her are gracious. Park City is a great locale. Why not Park City?

• dave Park City, UT
    July 8, 2011 7:53 p.m.

"TRUTH | 2:28 p.m. July 8, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Park City? Why wouldn't Michelle want to take in say...Provo or Draper?

Oh thats right....No lunatic lefties~"
    Oh thats right....No lunatic lefties~"

Yes, the lunatic lefty captains of industry. The lunatic lefty successful business people. The lunatic lefties that can afford multi-million dollar homes. Yes, these people are the lunatics.

These are the people that the ultra-right are protecting with their tax policies. These are the people that create the jobs that sustain our country. These people are typically the brightest and best our country has to offer.

Yes, the successful are the lunatics....

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    July 8, 2011 6:46 p.m.

One of the necessary duties of the President and the First Lady is to help Americans feel a commonality with other Americans and the "First Family." This is one reason why they travel the United States. Yes, it costs money. But this should transcend politics. It is an aspect of American leadership and I respect any President and First Lady who travels throughout this nation.

Several years ago this board was abuzz with criticism for Rocky Anderson for protesting a sitting President when the President visited the state. I think that similar criticism should be leveled at those who posted negative comments on this story. They have essentially proven that there are unpatriotic, uncivil and unfeeling people across the political spectrum.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    July 8, 2011 6:23 p.m.

If she wants to visit, have at it. I personally have no intention of being anywhere near Park City during the time she is there. I hope her trip is pleasant as she sees another part of this great country.

• Most Truthful and Patriotic Layton, UT
    July 8, 2011 6:13 p.m.

For those complaining about costs:
    CERTAINLY you know that campaign trips are paid for by the respective parties.

For those complaining about Mrs Obama:
    Good way to show us you're NOT the lunatic fringe!

For ONCE, people? Can't we all just get along and respect each other?

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    July 8, 2011 6:06 p.m.

She keeps a low profile---to the dismay of the wealthy media elites in Washington.

• @Charles the greater outdoors, UT
    July 8, 2011 3:48 p.m.

Yawn!

• eswiny sandy, ut
    July 8, 2011 3:15 p.m.

Also, to correct a previous comment, he has not visited Utah while President. President Monson and I think Elder Oaks visited the Oval Office and presented him with his family tree.

• eswiny sandy, ut
    July 8, 2011 3:14 p.m.

The President, as a candidate, was scheduled to visit the state (Park City). However, it was cancelled out of respect for the passing of President Hinckley.

• philaD Clifton Heights, PA
    July 8, 2011 2:44 p.m.

With today's economy, yes, I'm questioning everything that leads to wasteful spending which includes trips made by the first lady on the taxpayers dime.

And I didn't exclude Laura Bush from my first post if you reread it.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2011 2:28 p.m.

Park City? Why wouldn't Michelle want to take in say...Provo or Draper?

Oh thats right....No lunatic lefties~

• sid 6.7 Holladay, UT
    July 8, 2011 2:16 p.m.

Well done Voice Of Reason. Thank You!

• Cindy Hamman PARK CITY, UT
    July 8, 2011 2:13 p.m.

Which is it, July 26 or 27? I've heard both dates. Will she be speaking? I'd love to see her and hear her speak.

• Petra Sanpete County, UT
    July 8, 2011 2:09 p.m.

It is nice to see, among the expected sour and bitter comments above, all those who welcome the First Lady to Utah. I have appreciated the efforts of recent past First Ladies and now look forward to having Michelle Obama here. Her emphasis on dealing with obesity in children is much needed these days, and I appreciate all she has done and continues to do to help alleviate this problem.

So, welcome to Utah, Mrs. Obama!

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    July 8, 2011 1:58 p.m.

Sorry (R) trollsters, though there are many things about Obama's leadership as President I don't agree with, you are showing your mean-spiritedness. I was hoping we could do better here in Utah but I guess not...

• Kami Bountiful, Utah
    July 8, 2011 1:34 p.m.

@ A voice of reason -- Well said.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2011 1:13 p.m.

no fit in SG | 12:59 p.m.,

Seconded.

Obama visited here as a canidate. The LDS church gave him a copy of his family tree.

Michelle Obama campaigns against Obesity and you people are curious how much the trip will COST??

Why didn't you ask Laura Bush to walk while your at it.

Have some class.

• Craigo Ivins, UT
    July 8, 2011 1:10 p.m.

Im a conservative and like the woman.

• Aggielove Junction city, Oregon
    July 8, 2011 1:08 p.m.

Why go to park city. May i suggest wellsville.

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2011 1:00 p.m.

I'm very conservative, you might even say ultra conservative.. but not neo-con. I'm a die-hard paleo-conservative (old style basically).

With that, you can imagine that I don't like most actions that Obama has taken and I don't even like what a good number of so-called 'conservative presidents (or any politicians really) do in politics today.

--------

With that said, I am greatly displeased with people using this medium of communication to publicly make Utah out to be a place of hatred, cynicism, or at very least an unwelcoming and unfriendly state to those who don't agree with everything we overall support.

I welcome Mrs. Obama here without a second thought or hesitation... as should we all. If I could I would have the 'welcome' comments posted first, and all the other bickering put dead last on here.

I love Utah, but in my opinion (and as an LDS conservative) I say this... the people cynical and unwilling to listen in this state, both LDS, non-LDS, political, and uninvolved in their society, those who don't do anything good but fight for the sake of fighting... they ruin the good of this state.

Welcome Michelle Obama!

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    July 8, 2011 12:59 p.m.

Michelle is an accomplished, admirable person. She is trying to help our country in her own way, just as previous First Ladies have always done.
    Why don't you people grow up.

• Bill Shakespeare Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2011 12:58 p.m.

This is gonna be terrific for the kids!

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2011 12:55 p.m.

Clinton came to ski at least.

• photographermom South Jordan, UT
    July 8, 2011 12:53 p.m.

Oh goody! ( insert my sarcasm)

• philaD Clifton Heights, PA
    July 8, 2011 12:42 p.m.

I'd love to know how much that trip to park city is going to cost.

I'm in philadelphia and I'm sure I could make the trip for less than 10%, and it wouldn't cost taxpayers anything. These trips are getting ridiculous. I can't wait for a president who provides an example of how to live prudently and don't travel the world telling others how to live when the USA has enough problems as it is. I feel that recently we have had first ladies who are more like queens/princesses (feel entitled to the use of tax dollars for whatever they see fit).

• WHAT NOW? Saint George, UT
    July 8, 2011 12:39 p.m.

Welcome to Utah.

• 4Shore Farmington, Utah
    July 8, 2011 12:37 p.m.

We care why?

• DeltaFoxtrot West Valley, UT
    July 8, 2011 12:29 p.m.

Why would he come? We're easily the most Republican state in the entire union. He can't gain anything by stopping here.

• Johnson72 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2011 12:25 p.m.

Has the President even been to this state yet?