BYU football gains southern Calif. commits Butch Pau'u and Jherremya Leuta-Douyere

July 23, 2011 3:43 p.m.

Pauu is where he's always wanted to be, COUGAR TOWN and bleeding blue.

• che loco Springville, UT
    July 4, 2011 10:49 p.m.

Thank you for informing (and continuing to inform) cougar fans how pathetic their program is in regards to USC. We all bow down to your superior intellect and debate skills. But what impresses me most is your ability to backpedal with the best of them! Keep it up, brother.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    July 4, 2011 5:03 p.m.

@ Duhkunter
    . "Of course being unemployed like yourself, and living off the rest of us now doubt.
    I'm retired from the railroad and the State Retirement System after spending 18 years in one field and another 22 as a school teacher . During that time I also learned how to spell and am currently taking classes for my paralegal certificate and license.
    I also teach 4 hours a week for the state and their DUI classes.

BYU should have quite a few LB's by now as Bronco usually recruits by position.
    Already 16 of the 25 scholarship offers are out.. before the senior season starts.
    Best wishes to the Cougars and their independence !

July 4, 2011 3:20 p.m.

Being his own boss gives a guy alot of latitude as to how he spends his time. I spend my time doing whatever I want to do. Of course being unemployed like yourself, and living off the rest of us now doubt, gives you alot of time to obsess over me, when I post, what I post, keeping an entire Duckhunter notebook of quotes and such. It is a little bit creepy but sort of flattering.

And you don't need to worry about my sons, I attended and/or coached in 7 baseball games of theirs last week as well as spending 4 days at AFHS at the football camp. Managed to do some yardwork as well.

Well off to coach one of my sons teams defend a state title today, then we'll light off some fireworks.

It's a wonderful life!

July 4, 2011 2:41 p.m.

"Guess what you still haven't done anythng on a national stage in a long time"

Guess what clowntown, none of us ever has, especially not you. We, like you, are simply fans of a school. Unlike you most of us actually have a connection to the school we support but once again congratulations on your choice to be a fan of one of the 2-3 winningest college football programs of all time. You really went out on a limb when you made that decision. No doubt that is the reason you know so much more about college football than the rest of us do because leaching onto a successful program shows incredible forsight and knowledge.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    July 4, 2011 2:31 p.m.

@ Duckhunter
    " How do you define 'obsession'?
    Being on the comments section from 9:04 through 5:16--over 8 hours when you are supposed to be on campus at the University of Utah working ?
    What about family life.. like supper and taking your boys to their summer outings ?
    In answer to your challenge, that's one way to describe " obsession ".

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    July 3, 2011 2:07 p.m.

Guess what you still haven't done anythng on a national stage in a long time. You have no argument. Great you went 3 seasons with 2 or 3 losses, you still ended up in the Vegas bowl. You guys hype up BYU way way to much that's all I'm saying. Not trying to compare SC to BYU because that would be ridicoulis but c'mon it's BYU. You guys get mad if you don't play in a BCS bowl or that you get ran by FLorida State at home? Really? Maybe as fans lower your expectations a little bit and see what plays out.

• DeepBlue Anaheim, CA
    July 2, 2011 2:26 p.m.

Question: "Besides USC, how long has it been since the last PAC 10 team won a concensus National Championship in football (#1 in BOTH the AP and Coaches final polls)?"

Response: "What is your deal? Univ. of Washington 1991 there's mine. Where's yours? Oh before you were born? Your right I am a PAC 10 football guy and I don't understand how you feel BYU football is so great? BYU football is not a team people talk about."

Results: FAIL -- AP/Coaches
    1990--Colorado #1/#2; Georgia Tech #2/#1
    1991--Washington #2/#1; Miami #1/#2

USC is the ONLY PAC 12 team that has finished #1 in both polls.

Why do I think BYU is so great: BYU has been a perennial Top 25 team since 1977 (17 of 34 years), has won a national championship, a Heisman Trophy, has had 15 national individual award winners, and 6 players inducted into the college football hall of fame. Not up to USC's standards, but still a solid, nationally known and respected program.

btw, you're mistaken, not only do I remember BYU's 1984 national championship, I was at the game that sealed the championship for BYU.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    July 2, 2011 1:59 p.m.

You need to develop a little thicker skin.

I graduated from the U. I've sat in the middle of the MUSS(1990) and in the middle of the Crimson Club(2006), wearing BYU gear, during BYU-Utah football games, and still don't have a problem cheering for the Utes, EXCEPT, when they're playing Cougars.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    July 1, 2011 11:55 p.m.

@crowntown1 " I don't understand how you feel BYU football is so great?"

This a quote from Butch Pau'u: "I'm LDS, and I have mission plans, so I couldn't imagine a better school than BYU for both my football and all of my other goals."

This from L-D: "I couldn't believe how good everyone made me feel [at BYU]. It's just a real positive environment, and it's a clean environment. My religious beliefs [as a Catholic] are obviously different, but the standards are the same."

That's why I think BYU football is so great. It's because it's not all about the football, like at most every other school. It's about taking boys and helping to turn them into good men who hold themselves to a higher standard.

Not only that, but they put out a great football team year in and year out. It's refreshing, in this day and age, to cheer for a school that can keep its standards and still put out a winning product.

No offense, crowntown, but USC can't really say the same these days...

But I enjoy your comments and would like to continue seeing you on these boards :)

Go Cougars!

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    July 1, 2011 9:28 p.m.

Re: Deep Blue

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    July 1, 2011 5:35 p.m.

According to uTe fans he must not be very good because Utah did not offer him a scholarship. I guess their fellow PAC-12 members must not have good judgement either because they offered him a scholarship. And then a Nebraska team offering an inferior player a scholarship. Wow, what is this world coming to?

• DeepBlue Anaheim, CA
    July 1, 2011 4:25 p.m.

"Most people not LDS outside of UTah would agree BYU will never win A NC..."

If you're such a PAC 10 football expert, prove it by answering this question without looking it up:

Besides USC, how long has it been since the last PAC 10 team won a concensus National Championship in football (#1 in both the AP and Coaches final polls)?

Just to make it a little easier, the correct decade will do.

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    July 1, 2011 2:19 p.m.

Re: Duckhunter

Not really! I like to post my opinion just like the rest of you guys. It's when you don't agree you attack personally. I get it! Has nothing to do with football more so of a bunch of over zealous fans talking like they are a BCS contender every year. I'm one step ahead of you because you will probably deny it. See when you live in a bubble you lose touch with reality or things outside. Most people not LDS outside of UTah would agree BYU will never win A NC or go to a BCS bowl. HAve a nice day!

July 1, 2011 1:04 p.m.

It sounds like some big meanie Mormons hurt little clowtowns feelings when he was in Provo so now he is taking his frustrations out from 2 states away on a keyboard. LOL! How do you define 'obsession'?

• Beeker10 South Jordan, UT
    July 1, 2011 11:54 a.m.

Nice job cougs! They look to be great commits.. I'm excited for independence!

• DeepBlue Anaheim, CA
    July 1, 2011 10:43 a.m.

"So yes I love Trojan Football and follow them but like to mix it up with BYU fans who think they are superior to others."

Your inferior superiority-complex is showing.

• Duh west jordan, ut
    July 1, 2011 9:53 a.m.

@crowntown1: No one here thinks any different about their team than you think about yours. If you can't believe in something than why follow? Football does not define you, it is just a game and people love their teams no matter who they are. By the way, how is that championship lost by Reggie Bush anyhow?

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    June 30, 2011 10:19 p.m.

Re:Cougar Independence

I went to BYU, was never really a fan of their football team and was chastised by my roomates having to think I had to follow BYU football. So yes I love Trojan Football and follow them but like to mix it up with BYU fans who think they are superior to others. I understand the BYU mentality of being the best as well as the church's philosophy but that doesn't translate to college football today and many of the fans comment on here like they are some National Powerhouse. Walk before you run.

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    June 30, 2011 10:10 p.m.

Hedgie is still bitter about 1984, when BYU beat Michigan in the Holiday bowl. A grudge he has carried for the last 26 1/2 years. So he sides with teams that play BYU, hence a the nation's #1 BYU hater.

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    June 30, 2011 8:03 p.m.

" I am a USC fan and my dad went there so I have been brought up to cheer for the Troans. I have been a fan for 15 years now."

That begs the question, why are you reading a Deseret News article covering BYU? And then why are you posting comments on a Deseret News article covering BYU?

Trojan Troll?

Go Cougars! Happy Independence Day!

• Duh west jordan, ut
    June 30, 2011 7:16 p.m.

The saliva is running. I see a bright future for BYU. I would love to see them land some of those big boys in Texas, that would help out.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    June 30, 2011 5:52 p.m.

@ Duckhunter | 5:16 p.m. June 30, 2011
    Highland, UT

Please add me to that list of people. You have just proven Carnak's point. Go back and read Carnak | 3:58 p.m. June 30, 2011.

Carnak, you nailed it.

June 30, 2011 5:16 p.m.

" You try to bring up the Ute trolls but lets not kid ourselves your the biggest troll there is! Also whats up with you bringing religion up anywhere you can"

I know you are just a youngster and lack both wisdom and perspective but let me point a couple of things out here.

1st of all I didn't bring up religion. I answered a ute troll who brought it up.

2nd of all I know I get to you. You put on a show of amusement but the truth is what I write really gets to you. That is part of your youth and lack of wisdom.

You see anyone like you that distorts the truth, as you did in the quote of yours I put above, obviously lacks wisdom as all of us have read the thread and all of us know who brought religion into it. But beyond that posters like failstorm, carnak and yourself, that are so obsessed with one single poster, me, that you have to kneejerk disagree with everything I post shows you lack anysort of capacity to actually deal with issues.

Sad really. I pity you.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    June 30, 2011 5:15 p.m.

Butch Pau'u looks fantastic! We've been recruiting and producing some talented LBs since Bronco arrived. Jherremya Leuta-Douyere also looks like a solid player (and has a cool name), and again proves we can attract talented players who are not LDS.

There are a lot of good kids (LDS or not), with solid values, who have no trouble living the Honor Code. Whether they attend BYU or any other university, they would live honorably - proving that attending college and being derelict are not necessarily synonymous.

I'm very excited about the future of BYU football. I was one of the skeptical ones in the beginning about going Independent. But this is really working out well from a scheduling, recruiting and exposure standpoint. I realize we need to produce 9, 10, 11 and 12 win seasons regularly to keep it going. But every indication is the talent coming in will be the catalyst for winning teams for years to come. Go Cougs!

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    June 30, 2011 4:51 p.m.

As much as it pains me to say so, the Pau'u commit was great for BYU. Not only will he likely be a beast at LB, but he has the perfect LB name. Butch Pau'u.

Congrats, BYU, Butch, and Jherremya!

I like Quackmeister almost as much as I like the Hog, Hondo, and the Quackmeister Hunter.

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    June 30, 2011 4:21 p.m.

LOL! Thanks for the laughs fella's, anyways good pick up for the y. Hope these kids make there team better, its good to see that any utah school can attract talented athletes. Not gonna lie I was jealous of Jimmers at the y but its was cool to see the exposure the state got and the school when he was dominating.

• Troll Hunter Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 30, 2011 4:03 p.m.

Yes, Yes he is :)

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    June 30, 2011 3:58 p.m.

@ Utes21 | 3:42 p.m. June 30, 2011
    Salt Lake City, Ut

Because Ducky has seen everything, done everything and knows everyone. He is an expert in any and all areas of discussion. Facilities, recruiting, education and athletic funding,religion, politics, the economy, etc etc etc.

• Troll Hunter Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 30, 2011 3:54 p.m.

Thanks for enlightening us about the Amish (eye roll)

We will see many more of these atheletes coming to BYU from all around the country for the great atmosphere and football. Parents are very aware of what can happen to the "focus" and self-control on many college campuses around the nation and BYU can offer alittle peace of mind for these parents, and even peace of mind for the student atheletes.

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    June 30, 2011 3:53 p.m.

@hymn to the silent
    I honestly think that those two are the same guy who just gets his kicks creating controversy. He is like the professional contention makers we have on the Trib. Were on to you hedge hunter duck hog!

• In Stitches Provo, Utah
    June 30, 2011 3:49 p.m.

Welcome to Provo, Boys. You look good in blue.

June 30, 2011 3:47 p.m.

Yea no one takes pitching or qb lessons to play intramurals.

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    June 30, 2011 3:42 p.m.

I just like to read your comments and laugh. Your the kind of person who just looks for conflict. You try to bring up the Ute trolls but lets not kid ourselves your the biggest troll there is! Also whats up with you bringing religion up anywhere you can. Stop trying to play the victim card here, you know for a fact the majority of the U is LDS. How can you honestly say its anti when you havent taken one class there, oh wait you heard things! Okay I guess we need to take some middle aged man from Highlands word for it. Stop making this a religious crusade to make byu look holier than thou. Stop making other fans and members look bad.

• Bottom Line Draper, UT
    June 30, 2011 3:35 p.m.

Hedge was just identified as a BYU hater rather than a Utah fan. You guys can have him and his obsession.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    June 30, 2011 3:28 p.m.

@ hymn to the silent
    They both would shortly die of boredom.
    Not much to see there.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    June 30, 2011 3:20 p.m.

Again, nice job on the recruiting trail.
    Good Luck in Cougar blue.

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    June 30, 2011 3:16 p.m.

Duckhunter | 2:43 p.m. June 30, 2011
    Highland, UT

and they didn't have to take pitching or quarterback lessons to do it. Free educations are a beautiful thing.

• hymn to the silent Holladay, UT
    June 30, 2011 3:09 p.m.

I think we put hedgelog and duckhunter on survivor together...that would be good television!

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    June 30, 2011 3:00 p.m.

I agree. And where I attended high school it started there. Catholics and Mormons took a lot of bashing at my high school. There are some real anti religious zealots who really believe what they say, most of what I encounter and what my kids have encountered are people like Jon Stewart who are liberal and like to get a reaction and they actually love it when they push back. One of my daughter's liberal Poli Sci professors actually asked her to be his teaching assistant in the fall. He was disappointed when she told him she was going on an LDS mission. He told her to look him up when she got back and he would have a teaching assistant job for her. As you say, it is all in the attitude. We can take offense or work through it. I firmly believe that the Catholic recruit will do very well at BYU. I know from experience that not all the coeds there are looking for returned missionaries. And I never thought the church would build a temple in Rome but at the ground breaking Pres Monson was shaking hands with the official from the Vatican.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    June 30, 2011 2:52 p.m.

the Amish got it right with Rumspringa. Demanding the freedom to find yourself.

Rumspringa --generally refers to a period of adolescence for members of the Amish, a subsect of the Anabaptist Christian movement, that begins around the age of sixteen and ends when a youth chooses baptism within the Amish church or instead leaves the community.

• Last Stand Farmington, UT
    June 30, 2011 2:47 p.m.

Hedgie, you realize you're antagonizing 100% of the BYU fanbase along with 50% of your own, right?

June 30, 2011 2:43 p.m.

Leave it to carnak to simply post ignorantly and in kneejerk fashion. Go back and actually read things next time. Also your sons playing intramural flag football is not the same thing as having "sons play for both BYU and utah". LOL!

June 30, 2011 2:29 p.m.

Well put. But to clarify, since Hailstorm obviously couldn't grasp it, I in no way think the University of Utah is predominantly or overwhelmingly anti LDS or Anti Religion. What Hailsotrm failed to understand is I was answering ugottalovemaxie who wondered how this Catholic recruit would handle some anti Catholic opinions or behavior if he were to encounter it at BYU. Well I would guess in exactly the same manner as an LDS kid reacts when he/she encoutners anti LDS stuff at Utah or anywhere else. They just take it in stride or else they debate it in the same manner your daughter debates it.

I just find it interesting how much someone like "maxie" concerns themself over what a non Mormon at BYU might encounter while ignoring that they might encounter the same thing almost anywhere and that LDS kids encounter almost everywhere they go. I htink this stems from his anti BYU bias and desirte to find a negative in this kids committment.

I'm of the opinion most of us aren't so sensitive that we care all that much. We just move on past it since it is generally a minority of our overall experience.

• SeattleUhasabballteam? Seattle, WA
    June 30, 2011 2:27 p.m.

I find it even more "interesting" that there are people who believe that missions are as you put it: "ordered."

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    June 30, 2011 2:19 p.m.

Leave it to the Duckhunter to start something where nothing exists. I have had sons play for both BYU and Utah and both enjoyed the experience and the education that they received. People are going to make college chosies based on a number of factors including (believe it or not) the quality of the education in their field of expertise.

• giantfan Farmington, UT
    June 30, 2011 2:18 p.m.

Re: hedegehog

There you go again. Your education (or lack thereof) is showing if you believe missions are "ordered".

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    June 30, 2011 2:07 p.m.

As a Utah alum, I can tell you from first-hand experience that there are many professors at the U who are overtly anti-religion/anti-LDS and who don't hesitate to subtly or not-so-subtly attack LDS beliefs whenever they feel like it.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    June 30, 2011 1:59 p.m.

'so she pushes back and the Poli Sci professors love that."

And shouldn't that be part of self discovery? Challenging what has been programed from birth? I've always found it very "interesting" how missions are ordered just at the time a youth begins to question his/her beliefs.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    June 30, 2011 1:44 p.m.

Duckhunter and Hailstorm,

I will step in here and say that you are both correct in some of your comments regarding religion at the U and BYU. My daughter currently attends the U working on a degree in Poli Sci which may account for encounters with some of the irreligious elements at the U. She is head strong herself and is leaving on a mission so she pushes back and the Poli Sci professors love that. Some of what they say is to get a reaction. So, Duckhunter is right that there are some with a religion attitude. Like Hailstorm, when I went to the U I ran into nothing of that. My music history teacher was Jay Welch who at that time was the Asst Director of the Tab Choir. My econ professor lived next door to Pres Kimball in the Avenues. He was a none member and a liberal economics guy but he adored his neighbor Pres Kimball and said so in class. Kyle Whittingham has set up adult religious chaplains for his football players. One of the chaplains is a Mormon Institute of Religion Director. Kids are expected to attend church if they have one.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    June 30, 2011 1:27 p.m.

There are teachers / professors in many of the Utah universities and colleges who go on rants about the Mormon "cult" or some other derogatory terms. Some are subtle and some are outright bitter and obvious about it. Between my wife and I we have personal experience at 3 of them. Even my children don't escape it in High School and even Junior High. It also happens in many churches in and outside Utah.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    June 30, 2011 1:09 p.m.

You went to BYU and your worried about them blasting this young mans religion or trying to shove their religion down his throat?? It is true that religion classes are required but Bronco makes sure that non-LDS students have support from their own religions leaders whatever their religion. I have many no-LDS friends and many of them believe their religion is "the true religion". It's not really an issue unless you try to make it one or want to be offended. I still get along with them fine. I Haven't heard negative comments from many non-LDS athletes who were the "clean cut, religious kids" to whom your referring? A few Crowton recruits who did not want to live by the honor code. I think Bronco does a pretty good job of not signing them now.

June 30, 2011 1:04 p.m.

You know if not for your fixation on me and your kneejerk reactions to everything I post we maybe aren't so far apart. But it is up to you to actually pay attention on occasion and realize not everything I write is anti utah. Generally my shots at utah are limited to responses I am making to wedgie, blowhard s, christina b, etc. and are not simply out of the blue. But of course you only read my repsonse and get all bent out of shape about them while ignoring the ute "fans" am am bantering with.

I've told you before I don't have anything against utah, its employees, its athletes, or even the majority of its fans. But there is a large and vociferous segment of its fanbase that are lowlifes and I have a great time getting after them and watching them meltdown over it. Of course then there are the utah fans like you that simply only see me bantering with them, and ignore their comments the otherway and then choose to ony be upset with me because I am on the otherside.

My point is try to become a little more observant about things here.

• truthsandwich RANDOLPH, UT
    June 30, 2011 12:55 p.m.

These guys must have some skills, as they were being recruited by several big name programs. Congrats to BYU on some quality pick-ups. Love seeing programs in our state gaining more prominence on the national stage.

-Ute fan

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    June 30, 2011 12:52 p.m.

@ Duhkunter
    Why aren't you out mowing lawns at someones aunt who lives next door to a cousin of a Cougar assistant coach ?
    I'm retired but your main profession seems to be bad mouthing everything a Utah graduate and fan writes.
    I complimented the recruiting efforts of the major universities within the state and how all programs are recruiting better athletes.
    Why turn this into something ugly ?
    BTW.. nice pick up Cougars !

June 30, 2011 12:51 p.m.

You'll also notice (with my help pointing it out of course) that I didn't deny that the catholic recruit may hear some anti catholic or "great and abominable" church comments while at BYU. It would actually surprise me if he doesn't. I personally know LDS people that adhere to that philosophy and while most have the good manners not to say it to a Catholic there are undoubtedly some that would say it.

But just like the LDS student at utah it will be a minority that is that rude and the overall experience will be good. Most of us aren't such huge pansies that we are going to let an ignorent, or even purposefully rude, comment ruin all of the good things we find. I'm sure this kid will be just fine even if he does run into an idiot or two along the way.

June 30, 2011 12:45 p.m.

Who cares what people think about your religion, I don't some people have thin skin, regardless of where these kids get picked up, it is going to be some great football games with these prime athletes.

June 30, 2011 12:40 p.m.

I've heard them without ever having to go there. I also have plenty of friends and aquaintances that have gone there and informed me. Don't pretend it doesn't happen because it does. I should have included that they will get anti lds rhetoric from a percentage of the student body and "fan"base at utah as well. For evidence just look a couple of posts up the page from this one and read wedgies.

I notice you don't have similar outrage over maxies unfounded assertion. Typical.

June 30, 2011 12:36 p.m.

You can post anything you want to post. You can make any comment you want to make. They are generally inane and foolish but I don't mind you making them. I actually enjoy the laughs I get from them multiple times per day. Keep it up, I encourage you to post more often.

• Chris Bryant SLC, UT
    June 30, 2011 12:32 p.m.

I really have to agree with Duck on this one. Kids are going to go where they fit in best. The U. and Y. have great programs going and kids will enjoy either program.

hedgehog, taking shots at the LDS church is taking a shot at at least half of your fanbase, probably an unwise move. If you want to do that, use your "BossHog" alias at the trib or post on the other articles here at the Des News.

Finally, I have to say that there is a little bit of fluff in this article. What does "almost" offered a scholarship mean? Did Gurney really track down the coaches at these schools to ask them that? Schools either offer a scholarship or they don't. Those who are still under consideration are exactly that. What coach says "we almost offered him a scholarship?"

Come on gurney!

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    June 30, 2011 12:18 p.m.

@ Duhkunter.

"Well there are alot of LDS kids that sit through u of u professors telling them how their religion is a cult or a joke worshipping some imaginary figure as well as other less than respectful things.. "
    What ?
    I graduated from the U and never heard a single disparaging against the LDS faith not EVER! Not before my mission nor after.
    Where did you hear that ?

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    June 30, 2011 12:15 p.m.

Re: Duckboy
    You can't share an opinion on here or what? I have to be in agreeance with everyone else? The problem the D news posts articles to help you feel guys important. I am a USC fan and my dad went there so I have been brought up to cheer for the Troans. I have been a fan for 15 years now. I attended college in Utah but am not really a fan of any sports teams there. I can share my opinion of a player who "Verbally" commits to BYU.

• BlueSaint South Jordan, UT
    June 30, 2011 12:13 p.m.

If Butch Pau'u is anything like his father, then LOOK OUT! Wepi Pau'u was known for being a vicious, unstoppable, aggressive linebacker back in the day. Legend in the Polynesian Community! Do not let the size fool you. Great get for BYU!

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    June 30, 2011 12:12 p.m.

"Well there are alot of LDS kids that sit through u of u professors telling them how their religion is a cult or a joke worshipping some imaginary figure"

June 30, 2011 11:58 a.m.

One interesting thing about this is that it seems BYU is getting more and more out of state commits whereas utah is getting an increasing number of instate ones. I'm not saying that is a negative for either school but the often stated line of thought, especially from utah fans like wedgie, was that utah would be getting away from instate kids whereas BYU would struggle to get out of state kids to come here. Well obviously both of those lines of thought are incorrect.

There is enough instate talent that both schools would be foolish to dismiss it. There are obviously enough out of state, and even non LDS, kids that share the BYU value system that they can successfully get quality players to come here. Especially with the tv exposure they are going to get which allows the families of these kids from other parts of the country to see a large percentage of the games.

I think the lesson here is to simply ignore the uneducated blatherings of such utah "fans" as blowhard s and wedgie when it comes to recruiting, program quality, fanbases, etc. as they are continually proven wrong on all of it.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    June 30, 2011 11:50 a.m.

Congratulations to both. It's always nice to see when kid's dreams of playing D1 turn into realty.

June 30, 2011 11:39 a.m.

Well there are alot of LDS kids that sit through u of u professors telling them how their religion is a cult or a joke worshipping some imaginary figure as well as other less than respectful things. It's an underlying cultural and anti religious/mormon thing because it is what many anti religious/LDS believe. Yet somehow all thos LDS students at the u manage to get through it unscarred.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    June 30, 2011 11:35 a.m.

I am also a Utah fan and I also attended BYU for my masters degree. I don't know of anyone in the LDS church that speaks of the Catholic church in those terms anymore. You may be right that there a few small minded members that sill do but they are a disappearing breed, thank goodness. President Monson himself has cultivated many many friends in the Catholic Church and even sat next to the Arch Bishop of Washington, DC in the Cathedral of the Madeline when the Arch Bishop came to Salt Lake to install the new Catholic Bishop. I hope I got the spelling correct and the title right in the last sentence. If I didn't please overlook. Anyway, the relationship between the Mormons and the Catholic at least in terms of the leadership has never been better even though there remain issues like access to geneological records that remain. But I believe BYU and its membership in the WCC and recruiting non LDS members will only get stronger.

• IDC Boise, ID
    June 30, 2011 11:27 a.m.

Interesting to see kids of other faiths that are recognizing the unique environment at BYU. I went to BYU for undergrad and another university for post-grad. BYU was definitely different with less partying, less profanity, and less immorality. I was comfortable at both but it was nice to not have to deal with those issues as much while at BYU.

• goodDr. sandy, UT
    June 30, 2011 11:13 a.m.

As an active LDS member, I do not feel that the Catholic church is an abomination. With many family members who are active catholic, I think they are great people and hope that they feel the same about me.

• UgottaloveMaxie SLC, UT
    June 30, 2011 10:41 a.m.

BYU is a good atmosphere for a clean cut, religious kid. However, is Leuta-Douyere going to like hearing that LDS is the "only true church" and that the Catholic is the abomination? I think that it will be hard to be in that culture and hear that from the over zealous on campus. It's a fact, I went to BYU and was very involved. It's an underlying culture and religious thing, because that's what LDS believe.

• Chris Bryant SLC, UT
    June 30, 2011 10:39 a.m.

congrats to the cougs. Good to see that there aren't too many of my fellow ute fans posting nonsense here. I was all ready to drag them out of here and back to our boards.

Again, these are a couple of great pickups. BYU-Utah games in the next few years should be epic.

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    June 30, 2011 10:21 a.m.

Great pickup. I'm a big Ute fan but I have to credit some fine recruiting here. They play such tough football at Servite and in Orange County in general.

• socalcougar! La Crescenta, CA
    June 30, 2011 10:19 a.m.

I'm from Southern California, and this is a nice pick up by BYU. I've heard of schools going after Butch for over a year now. He's one of the top linebackers in the state of California, so he's for real. I don't know anything about the other guy, but Servite is a top program that is consistently in the running. A lot of D-1 players come out of Servite. These guys will have played against some of the best competition in California making them very well prepared for playing at BYU. I also like reading about kids who are excited to play at BYU. These guys recognized BYU as a good fit for them and then committed a few days later. I love that.

Go Cougars!

• JustintimeY Boise, Id
    June 30, 2011 10:11 a.m.

Biegal verbally committed to Wisconsin but in the last week two articles have been written about his commitment. One from a Wisconsin source and one from Total Blue Sports that stated although Biegal verbally committed to Wisconsin his verbal has been wavering some with BYU back in the picture. Could be another Ross Apo situation where he committed to Texas and then later changed his mind in favor of the Y. Either way both of these two recruits from California are exciting.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    June 30, 2011 10:05 a.m.

"@ Duckhunter,
    Did you read what I had just written ?
    Why the slam ?"

Hailstorm, just fyi your post and his post were submitted at the exact same time, so he did not read your post because it had not yet been posted.

Everybody else, just ignore crowntown's posts. You see, Pau'u used to be one of the top LBs in Southern Cal, that was until he committed to BYU. Now he's not. ;)

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    June 30, 2011 10:01 a.m.

I don't always agree with you, but in this case you're correct. All of Utah's major schools have dramatically improved their recruiting in recent years.

But recruiting is only half the battle. Good coaching and team chemistry are just as important, and all four programs have excellent coaching staffs as well.

Utah would have found a lot more support from BYU fans for success in the PAC 12 if Utah fans hadn't copped such a smug, condescending attitude about the whole thing.

The attitude, plus pretending that it was Utah's superior athletic programs that were primarily responsible for Utah being invited.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    June 30, 2011 9:51 a.m.

Two great recruits for BYU. I think that one of the reasons BYU has been so successful most of the past 30 years is they type of players they recruit. I would love to see them keep getting more non-LDS players who want to live a higher moral standard while in college. Having lived outside Utah for many years, I know many non-LDS people who live the LDS standards. I consider some of them to be great friends.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    June 30, 2011 9:50 a.m.

This is great for BYU and BYU is a great place to play linebacker. Some very tough ombres have come out of the BYU linebacking corp. And I like the non LDS factor. Utah is very pleased with the former BYU linebacker they hired as head coach.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    June 30, 2011 9:33 a.m.

@ Duckhunter,
    Did you read what I had just written ?
    Why the slam ?
    Don't turn this into something bad.

• killarney Lincoln Park, IL
    June 30, 2011 9:09 a.m.

It's nice to see a devout Catholic like Leuta-Douyere choosing to play for a school that is known for its high standards.

• BYU DUDE Provo, UT
    June 30, 2011 9:09 a.m.

Biegal has been in Provo all week and very well could end up a Cougar.!!!

June 30, 2011 9:04 a.m.

To be fair clowntown claims to be a usc "fan" and not a fan of utah at all. While it is true he spends alot of time on BYU articles making a fool of himself, and his comments are pretty similar to the stuff we get from wedgie, failstorm, christina b or howie, it would appear he isn't a utah fan so I wouldn't want to lump him in with them. It isn't fair to the good utah fans around here.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    June 30, 2011 9:04 a.m.

These two look like some very good players and should fit into Broncos 3-4 up front defense really well. Has anyone else noticed that the four major schools in Utah have all been getting better recruits in the last three or four years ?
    Ron McBride at Weber State, Gary Anderson @ USU, as well as the Utes and Cougars have definitely raised the bar in their respective programs and are gradually building a better program through their recruiting efforts.
    Good luck to all this season.
    I'm just really happy that we don't have lockouts in college sports.

• Troll Hunter Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 30, 2011 8:39 a.m.

@ crowntown1

You can down play the commitments by these two linebackers all you want, but the truth is these two guys are very good football players that had offers from some great programs, they obviously were evaulated well by these programs.

I know you thought that BYU was just going to go away into obscurity with "Independence" but they will only grow stronger on the national stage, football players like these guys from around the country will want to come to BYU for the great experience.

Don't make the mistake of thinking BYU Football won't be relevent for years to come.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    June 30, 2011 7:18 a.m.

I live in So Cal. Servite is always in the running for state championships. These big Catholic schools down here actually recruit players. I'm glad to see BYU recruiting there. Hopefully, they'll continue to feel good about BYU. BYU is more cosmopolitan than people expect, because of the nation-wide recruiting. I like the way Bronco provides chaplains for the non-LDS kids.

Lets not make them conversion projects. That could upset their parents and close the channel.

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    June 30, 2011 6:50 a.m.

BYU Dude,

Biegal already committed to Wisconsin. I'm a Ute fan, but am encouraged that young men of other faiths can still see the benefits of a positive, moral environment.

I've appreciate the comments from BYU fans about the Ute fans keeping it classy. It would be easier to keeep it "classy" if celebration of getting a recruit didn't include statements such as "BYU just took a huge lead in the recruiting battle with Utah." Utah fans should be held to the same standard.

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    June 30, 2011 5:31 a.m.

Excellent post kamute, but crown town just dropped the classy streak for ute fans on this board.

As info, ESPN has this kid listed as the 16th best MLB recruit in the country, the 3rd best out of California. 4 stars.

Go Cougars!

• SamoanCougar Eagle Mountain, UT
    June 30, 2011 1:01 a.m.

Stone Wall,

Leuta-Douyere lead the Servite team in sacks as a sophomore, which says A LOT about him. He's part of the 2013 recruiting class and was already receiving interest from other BCS schools.

• flynn is the coolest Salt Lake City, UT
    June 30, 2011 12:50 a.m.

I was hoping for this commit, lets hope its a sign of good things to come. Butch may not be the best in drop back coverage at 5'11", but put another 20-30 lbs of muscle on him he'll collapse the pocket every time.

• Independence Is Bliss San Jose, CA
    June 30, 2011 12:45 a.m.

Woohoo! Good get for the Cougs. I love how, without fail, when recruits talk about BYU they always cite how they just feel good when they're on campus. They can't describe it; it's a different feeling than anywhere else they've been.

As a BYU alum I can attest to that. There's just a great feeling at BYU. Like the recruits, I can't describe it, it just feels good.

• Tommy2Shoes Lehi, UT
    June 30, 2011 12:23 a.m.

To come to BYU Camp and earn an offer shows that L-D is a potential starter in a few years. Butch is going to be just fine in the middle. Keep the good recruits flowing into Zion. Hopefully we get a few more of the best that want the BYU experience. Please make a few of them great running backs. Just one more day to Independence.

• TroyTown Anaheim, CA
    June 30, 2011 12:22 a.m.

You're saying that schools like Nebraska, Iowa State, Washington, Oregon State and Colorado are heavily recruiting and offering scholarships to players that aren't top players? Now you have to qualify your statement with "he's not THE top player" or "he's only made a verbal commit" just to save face?

Just can't admit when you're proven wrong, can you?

• stonewall Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 30, 2011 12:08 a.m.

I think it deserves to be noted that not one Ute fan has come with a negative comment yet. Good for them, and as BYU fans let's not instigate something that isn't there.

I don't know why the first instinct of both fan bases when a player commits to another school is to discredit and downplay the recruit. Utah is a great program, and they are getting more and more solid recruits. Some that BYU offered. That's a fact and good for them. BYU also gets good recruits, some that Utah has pursued, and a big recruit for either school is a big recruit.

As for these two specific recruits, Pau'u was a big one. Heavily recruited and ESPN has him as a 4-star LB rated higher than any other current commit. Leuta-Douyere you can't really say the same thing about, so hopefully he's one of those recruits where the coaching staff was ahead of the curve and saw something early that other programs didn't, similar to an Eric Weddle or Andrew Rich-type recruit

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    June 30, 2011 12:01 a.m.

Sky walker

First off it's a verbal commit. Second Pauu is a good player but not the top LB in Southern California so you can acting like you just landed Chris claiborne.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    June 29, 2011 11:57 p.m.

I saw this one coming after reading up on what the both of them said about BYU. It's no surprise that they committed together. Now Butch is the new top recruit in the class, right up there with Tanner Mangum. I hope that his friend can be a good outside linebacker, BYU will need some in this class with the loss of Pendleton and Frazier. I almost wonder if they are going to switch Kyle Van Noy to strongside linebacker in 2012 to make room for some of these other guys at weakside.

Go Cougs!!!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    June 29, 2011 11:39 p.m.

These kids come to camp, come to a fireside / family home evening, hear some great character and faith based inspiration and they see the difference between what BYU offers and the other options out there.

Bottom line is that it's not all about football and that's makes the difference.

Congratulations to a couple of kids that want something more. BYU has it.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    June 29, 2011 11:25 p.m.

Thanks to you Ute posters for being classy. Let's all keep it classy and try not to compare Utah vs BYU, as it could get ugly very quick. Let's stay civilized and on topic and I don't see why anybody should not be able to have their input.

I am pleased that quality non-LDS guys see BYU as a great place to go. Hopefully more will see BYU as the place they want to be, even if it is a different religion than theirs.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    June 29, 2011 11:20 p.m.

crowntown1 | 11:41 a.m. June 28, 2011
    Corona, CA

"Your still BYU! YOur not gonna attract top non LDS players there I'm sorry."

DesNews | 10:12 p.m. June 29, 2011

BYU Football Gains Two Southern California Commits

BYU was the first to offer Leuta-Douyere, a devout Catholic, but other schools such as Nebraska, Oregon State and Colorado were recruiting him heavily and close to offering at the time of his commit.

***stunned silence***

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    June 29, 2011 11:16 p.m.

No Utes badmouthing.

• BYU DUDE Provo, UT
    June 29, 2011 11:06 p.m.

Butch Pau"u and Jherremya Leuta are going to be Great,

BYU just took a huge lead in the recruiting battle with Utah.

Now all BYU need is Troy Hinds, and Vince Biegel, and the Flag Ship Mormon University will be on there way to a BCS Bowl win.

• CordonBleu Park City, UT
    June 29, 2011 11:02 p.m.

Exciting news for BYU football fans.

BYU signing blue chip, out-of-state, non-LDS athletes who are attracted to BYU because of BYU's unique standards -- who woulda thunk it?

And turning down offers from AQ schools like Nebraska, Iowa State, Washington, Oregon State, and Colorado to boot.

THIS is why Bronco added young, enthusiastic coaches like Dupaix and Cahoon to his coaching staff, to recruit players like Pau'u and Wolford.

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    June 29, 2011 11:00 p.m.

Great news! I have been hoping that Pau'u would committ to BYU for several weeks, he is a big time committ, nice job byu!
    And while I will admit I dont know alot about Leuta-Douyere but the fact that he is Catholic and committed to BYU is great news. BYU continues to prove they can get good recruits both LDS and non LDS atheletes. Keep them coming BYU!!!

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    June 29, 2011 10:57 p.m.

Obviously this is exciting news for BYU football. I'm even more pleased to see quality kids from other faiths see the benefits of BYU's environment. Go Coug's!!

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    June 29, 2011 10:44 p.m.

Totally stoked about both these guys, but especially Pau'u. This from Scout.com:

"Pound for pound, there may not be a better linebacker in the West than Pau'u. He's a big time hitter, sheds his blocks tremendously well and makes every tackle. Great pursuit, plays well in space and sees the field extremely well. Great leadership and instincts. The lone drawback is his size. He's filled out well, but he's on the short side, especially for a middle backer. Still, you can't argue his production or his play."

If his size is the only drawback (he's listed as 5' 11 1/2"), then the sky may be the limit for this kid. We've been getting a load of talent at the LB position lately.

Pretty cool, too, that Leuta-Douyere is Catholic but decided to come to BYU. That seems to be happening a lot lately with Bobby Wolford and now L-D. Vindicates the previous article that Dupaix is targeting the quality, non-LDS athletes who want to live the standards encouraged by the BYU atmosphere.

Go Cougars!

• philaD Clifton Heights, PA
    June 29, 2011 10:42 p.m.

nice get cougars, both players should be great in few years!!!!!

Good stuff.

jute19, you are a scholar and a genteelman.

• TonganNinja Salt Lake City, UT
    June 29, 2011 10:38 p.m.

Come on D-News what was wrong with my comment?

Lets try this again. Good Get for the Cougars.

Now lets get the first year of Independence on the right track, and see the fruits of their labor come into fruition. If your doubting how BYU will do in recruiting as an Independent you must be wearing crimson colored glasses

• Jute19 Poop, UT
    June 29, 2011 10:37 p.m.

Both look like good, if not, great recruits for the Y. I for one and a huge U fan but can't help be so excited for the future of college football in the state of Utah. Congrats guys.

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    June 29, 2011 10:17 p.m.

"Pau'u had received offers from Nebraska, Iowa State, Washington, Oregon State and from Colorado at the time of his commitment to BYU."

4 star recruit, turning down AQ schools to attend BYU.

Any questions? BYU can and will get the top LDS recruits. Period.

Go Cougars!

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    June 29, 2011 10:14 p.m.

Prime example of how BYU can and will win the recruiting battle! Great pick-up by BYU and Bronco!

Now, when do the utes starting dismissing the importance and ability of these kids... In 3...2...1....