Sports

BYU, Utah Utes football: Cottonwood prospect receives early offers

Comments

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    June 29, 2011 9:01 p.m.

"hypothetically speaking...

Team A: 13-0. Wins over 4 top-20 ranked teams (4 or 5?)in final polls, including a bowl win over #4 final-ranked team (a team which was ranked #1 for a big chunk of the season)

Team B: 13-0. No wins over top-25 ranked teams in final poll. Bowl win over 6-6 limpy team.

I will say team A > team B."

That Team B looks very similar to the 2010 Boise State team with a few minor differences... (change 13-0 to 12-1 and 6-6 to 10-3)

Let's play more "hypothetical" games! We know the reason team A didn't have any of their opponents ranked: because their opponents didn't do so well. That sounds like thier problem, not team A's problem. Hypothetically speaking, what if the above mentioned team A HAD played a top ranked team? I say that team would have won. Why? Team A was proven to be the best team that year. There is not enough strong evidence to support otherwise.

By the way, if Auburn had played the schedule that UTEP played last year, does that suddenly make Auburn a bad team?

• In Stitches Provo, Utah
    June 29, 2011 7:23 p.m.

That doesn't make the trophy any less shiny.

When u get one (if ever) then we'll talk. Oh, and a Heisman too.

• Mid-Major Cougars San Diego, CA
    June 29, 2011 5:50 p.m.

A 1984-BYU football team will not win NC in today's world.

Recent examples: 2008 Utah (13-0, wins over 25th ranked BYU, 18th OSU, 7th TCU, 6th Alabama) finished 2nd ranked ; 2010 TCU (13-0) finished 2nd ranked.

A 2008-Utah or 2010-TCU team would win NC in the 1980s.

But not in today's NCAA football.

So deal with it, Kewgs.

Don't be so naive to say: 1984 > 2 BCS wins --> you know it can't be true.

And Utah fans...we know Team A > Team B; but don't hurt your little brothers' feelings by bragging about it.

Common' people. Let's all get along here.

• IndianaCoug Bloomington, IN
    June 29, 2011 5:15 p.m.

RE: SoCalUtahFan

Perhaps you should have left the names on for Teams A and B so we knew who you were talking about. At first glance it looks like Utah (A) vs. BYU (B)... but team A only had 2 wins during the regular season against top 20 teams (both of whom were mid-majors). Otherwise you make a pretty decent argument. I believe the 2008 Utah team was deserving of a chance for the national title, that was a fantastic team.

As for the dissing on BYU because they played a sub-par team for the title 25 years ago... let it go. National champion teams beat lesser teams all the time in all sports. In fact, I believe that for the last two seasons the National champions in basketball had to beat mid-major Butler to secure the title. That doesn't make the trophy any less shiny.

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    June 29, 2011 4:44 p.m.

hypothetically speaking...

I will say team A > team B.

(I have removed team names for hypothetical and fair comparison)

End of discussion. I am moving on.

Ciao.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    June 29, 2011 4:08 p.m.

Dumbest argument ever...

"BYU isn't... didn't... doesn't deserve a National Championship."

Or even better...

"Since you didn't play in a BCS... or the team you beat was 6-5... or you didn't play anyone... so your National Championship is not worthy."

That's like saying gravity doesn't exist. Argue all you want. Pound your chest about your two BCS wins and how mighty you are now in the PAC 10.2, tell us how dumb we are to go independent, laugh at our standards and honor code, belittle our coach, and post on our articles...

The trophy sits in our campus. Nothing you can say can change that.

It will be amazing what ute fans will say ten years from now, when the BCS is gone and something else will have taken it's place...

and ute fans will still be saying "but we won 2 BCS games."

And before you go off and say something about BYU talking about its national championship, let me remind you...

It's a national championship!

National championship > 2 BCS wins. No matter what year they occurred.

I'm done arguing about this.

I've dropped the mic, and I am walking away.

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    June 29, 2011 3:51 p.m.

from Michigan website regarding 1984 6-5 team...
    "...After upsetting top-ranked Miami in the season opener, Michigan's fortunes looked bright for 1984. But when quarterback Jim Harbaugh broke his arm against Michigan State, it took a great effort for the Wolverines to limp to a 6-5 record..."

final record for this limpy team 6-6

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    June 29, 2011 2:47 p.m.

That would be 2008. # 2 rank nationally, they were the only undefeated DIV.1 school , but you already knew that.
    BTW- Coach of the Year-- Kyle Whittingham

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    June 29, 2011 2:39 p.m.

"@Whoa Nellie
    ...how close has Utah ever been to playing a unranked 6-5 team for a so-called NC game?...

you got me there."

One thing is for sure, Utah nearly lost to the last 6-5 unranked team they played, and were extremely lucky to have won by only 1 point. At least BYU legitimately beat their 6-5 opponent! The same can't be said for Utah. BYU's championship just as legitimate as their victory.

Hpothetically speaking, let's say back in 2004 that Utah had an option to earn $500,000 to play USC in the championship game (and know that you will for sure lose) or play in some BCS bowl against a different opponent (one they had a good chance of beating) and get paid millions. Which would they choose?

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    June 29, 2011 2:16 p.m.

@Whoa Nellie

you got me there.

• williary Kearns, UT
    June 29, 2011 9:54 a.m.

Kid reminds me of Nate Fakahafua from Highland last year. Freak athlete who can play TE or DE.

Hope he and his QB end up at Utah.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    June 29, 2011 8:35 a.m.

And how close has Utah ever been to a national championship game in football, hmmmmm?

Bottom line: when was the first time BYU recruited a Utah player (or any other school's coveted athlete) while he was on a mission?

Answer: It has never happened nor ever will.

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    June 28, 2011 8:25 p.m.

@worf

...I wouldn't trade 1984 for a BCS game....

Not a choice for you to make since BYU has never been even close to get a BCS game...

• worf Mcallen, TX
    June 28, 2011 8:15 p.m.

hedgehog | 3:54 p.m. June 28, 2011
    Ann Arbor, MI

I wouldn't trade a national championship for a BCS game.

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    June 28, 2011 7:52 p.m.

SoCalUtahFan

"Bottom line: when was the last time Utah recruited a BYU player while he was on mission?"

They do it all the time, you just don't hear about it because missionaries take one look at the MUSS and realize that's not something they want to be a part of.

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    June 28, 2011 7:48 p.m.

117 years of football for Utah.

And not one national title, Heisman trophy, national individual award, or college football hall of fame player? Is that possible? I guess so when your football program didn't develop a pulse until 2004.

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    June 28, 2011 6:06 p.m.

Bottom line: when was the last time Utah recruited a BYU player while he was on mission? I can't recall...

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    June 28, 2011 5:17 p.m.

gdog3finally

Great post. I agree completely with you -- especially about the "Holy War." Who came up with that title anyhow? "Civil War" would be better: north vs. south; brother against brother; splitting families in their loyalties. But, then again, the word "civil" may not be the correct description of this rivalry for some.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    June 28, 2011 3:54 p.m.

"A hundred forty MWC championships for the Cougs"

Worf,

And not one BCS game? Is that possible? I guess so.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    June 28, 2011 3:40 p.m.

@in stitches

It's unfair to compare Chris Bryant to Chris B.

Actually it's unfair to compare just about anyone with Chris B.

@ Chris Bryant

You might want to change your posting name (real or not). You don't want to be mistaken for Chris B.

@ everyone.

How about rooting for your team without searching for meaning in others follie, accomplishments, failures, and identity.

This Cottonwood TE has me a tad interested, but I haven't offered him a scholarship yet. Nothing against him. He looks to be talented. Don't forget people, he is a young fella still developing.

So my Utes offered him a scholarship. Whatever, they are the ones doing the scouting and evaluations. I just hope they are right most all of the time.

There are very few can't miss recruits. Maybe, as fans we can show interest without being obsessed with guys that won't play with our teams, if at all for years. You know, based on early offers, missions ect...

Again, it's all interesting, but why go to rivalry war about who had the bigger steak for lunch.

I love the rivalry, don't get me wrong. But Holy War? Is one side the IRA or something?

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    June 28, 2011 3:14 p.m.

Thanks to most of you, loved the wit today.

The only angle un-lampooned (that I can think of) is the "if your team offered him, man, the kid's still in diapers, how young will your team recruit?" but if it's MY team that recruited him, "great find, way to keep the pipeline full through 2030!"

Any way, sounds like he has potential and he has his major priorities already sighted in. Here's hoping he stays health and happy.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    June 28, 2011 2:58 p.m.

Adam, it's very likely, almost certain he didn't play for Cottonwood as most of their players are out of boundary players. Congrats on the offers, now let's see how the team does this year without a defense in a new, legit region.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    June 28, 2011 2:42 p.m.

@ CougarBlue | 2:11 p.m. June 28, 2011
    Heber City, UT

You need a nap.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    June 28, 2011 2:31 p.m.

DevilishUte

That was great. I love the countdown.

• Adam Salt Lake City, UT
    June 28, 2011 2:23 p.m.

I don't recall facing him in Ute Conference Football. Where did he play?

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    June 28, 2011 2:11 p.m.

Let's see, according to Ute Trolls and bloggers if BYU offers a scholarship to a kid he must not have much talent, but if Utah offers a scholarship then he must have talent. Which way is it Utes, you can't have it both ways.

Childish comments about BYU offering after Utah. If BYU's camp would have been before Utah's then are you also saying Utah would also just be following suit?

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    June 28, 2011 1:40 p.m.

@ worf | 12:17 p.m. June 28, 2011
    Mcallen, TX

Before we do too much chirping, we better make sure we are atleast on the same BCS level as those at who we are chirping. I too love the 84 National Championship but that was in a different era. Until our beloved Cougars make it to a BCS bowl in the BCS era, chirping really doesn't matter. Doing does.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    June 28, 2011 1:37 p.m.

If he wants to get to heaven and the NFL he should play for coach bronco.

• Captain Sweatpants Hampstead, NC
    June 28, 2011 12:46 p.m.

To the BYU fans who are bent out of shape by the BlueNTheFace and Utah'95 comments, don't you get that they were joking?

Wow, I guess a lot of you guys are need a hug!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    June 28, 2011 12:17 p.m.

Mildred in Fillmore-- 100% after.---This discussion is more fun than debating gay marriages in New York.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    June 28, 2011 11:54 a.m.

Riverton,

My sentiments exactly.

It's a slow news day at the DNews shop if this is the top story. The kid sounds great, but he is over a year away from making a decision on his recruitment.

I am wondering why the DNews has not started to preview the teams by position yet. In AZ's top newspaper they've been previewing ASU by position for several weeks. After all, the season is only 2 fast Sundays away. :)

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    June 28, 2011 11:34 a.m.

DevilishUte,

I was not saying that Utah only copycats BYU in recruiting (nor have I ever said it); I'm only calling them out for saying that BYU copycats Utah.

I agree that it is silly. Why does it matter who offers first? It doesn't matter at all. All that matters is who he signs with, and that is not always an indication of which school has a better football program (or else only the very elite would get all the best athletes).

Let kids go where they want to go, then let them play the sport they love.

• bigsoccer Syracuse, UT
    June 28, 2011 11:35 a.m.

If the kid wants to be known as a a good TE, he should go to BYU they have produced great tight ends for the last 20 years now, but I think defensive end Utah is good place to show your skills, they have had some great DE's come out of there, so I think it depends on what position the kid really wants to focus on.

• MenaceToSociety Draper, UT
    June 28, 2011 11:34 a.m.

Good luck, Siale. Hope to see you competing in the Pac 12 in the future.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    June 28, 2011 11:07 a.m.

@ worf | 10:45 a.m. June 28, 2011
    Mcallen, TX

Will that be before or after we (BYU) make a BCS bowl? I am still waiting for that day.

• Chris Bryant SLC, UT
    June 28, 2011 10:49 a.m.

@In stitches

how so?

• worf Mcallen, TX
    June 28, 2011 10:45 a.m.

Utah'95,

More like baby sister to the north. A hundred forty MWC championships for the Cougs to forty nine for the utes.

It'll be at least five years before the utes make the Vegas bowl.

• In Stitches Provo, Utah
    June 28, 2011 10:43 a.m.

Chris Bryant

Hmm... In my defense, you sound exactly like "Chris B.," so my confusion is understandable.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    June 28, 2011 10:33 a.m.

DevilishUte

Riverton Cougar was only responding to SoCalUtahFan who stated in the 3rd post on the article that "Bottom line: BYU followed Utah and made the offer to this young kid even before he is on mission."

I agree with you, it is a silly argument for either side to make. Does anyone seriously think coaches sit around and wait to see who the other coach makes an offer to so they can copy them?

I wish this young man the best of luck in his upcoming season and in college. I think it is great to see Utah talent get the chance to play in college.

• Chris Bryant SLC, UT
    June 28, 2011 10:33 a.m.

@in stitches

go ahead. find the last post I made in a BYU exclusive article.

I think you are confusing me with another "Chris B", different people my friend.

• In Stitches Provo, Utah
    June 28, 2011 10:21 a.m.

Chris Bryant

Starfarer is annoyed by your use of half truths. As for BYU articles: you are all over them, so don't pretend that you are only here because it pertains to the u.

Hey, I thought you all were moving onto the self proclaimed "conference of champions." Go on then.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    June 28, 2011 10:15 a.m.

Riverton kewger -

Does it really matter who offers first? I think it's childish to pound your chest about offering first. It's like calling shotgun. I did that when I was 5, but have moved on.

Utah fans are pointing out that Utah offered first on this one because BYU fans are so quick to mention that they always offer first. Again, it doesn't really matter who offers first. It matters who the recruit commits to and since this kid is only a junior, it will be a long time before he makes a decision.

• GoUTES Salt Lake City, UT
    June 28, 2011 10:13 a.m.

Chris B, Hedgie and I will wait to see what he decides before making a comment about his talent level. If he decides to play for the Utes, he is Awesome. And it is because the Utes rule and it is a Pac 12 school and we have been to BCS games and that he wants to play in the Rose Bowl. If he decides to go to yBu, then he is over rated and Utah really did not want him anyway.

• Katiebugg Salt Lake City, UT
    June 28, 2011 9:58 a.m.

Starfarer

Well stated!

• Chris Bryant SLC, UT
    June 28, 2011 9:57 a.m.

@Starfarer

ummmm this article is in both the Utah and BYU sections.......to call it a "BYU article" is inaccurate. But then again, you mentioned that you don't ever read the Ute section, so its understandable.

• man of few words Salt Lake City, UT
    June 28, 2011 9:57 a.m.

Chris Bryant

And yet he was wearied enough to respond, you mean.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    June 28, 2011 9:41 a.m.

I care because untruths left unchallenged are dangerous to the truth.

Trolls, especially ute trolls, love to throw out half truths, and outright falsehoods as facts. And if BYU trolls do the same on ute articles, shame on them too.

I care because BYU is where I graduated from and I won't let some axe grinding, ankle bitter use fuzzy logic and half truths to further their own agenda.

I am happy to let the players decide who is better on the field, and live with the consequences. There is only one game a year where Utah is relevant to me.

Like I said, I couldn't care less what happens to the u. I don't read about them (unless the article is in the BYU section, I don't care what their SOS, their record is or what they did in the past. I don't care if they win a national title, but if a troll comes on the boards, I am going to defend my University.

That is what true fans do. they don't go belittle someone else so they feel better about their university.

That's just lame. If your school is so great why comment on BYU articles?

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    June 28, 2011 9:35 a.m.

SoCalUtahFan and Utah'95,

This is the first or second time this whole year that I've heard of Utah making the offer before BYU. Every other time it has been BYU offering first. For every one scenario in which Utah offers first, I'm sure BYU fans can point to at least 3 times in which BYU made the offer then Utah followed.

• Chris Bryant SLC, UT
    June 28, 2011 9:32 a.m.

@TJ

its just the drawbacks of these message boards. its amazing. Fans on both sides who somehow find a sense of self-worth by the fact that their school was the first to offer a particular athlete.

its a sad commentary on our society....

• Bottom Line Draper, UT
    June 28, 2011 9:27 a.m.

re BlueNtheFace

Best comment on these boards in years...thanks

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    June 28, 2011 9:16 a.m.

BYU has a major advantage if the kid wants to be a tight end. Utah has a slight edge because of recent success if the kid wants to be a defensive end. Hope he chooses BYU. Their current log jam of tight ends should be about gone by the time he is ready to play but I would love to see him play DE for BYU. He sounds like the type of person that will succeed wherever he goes to school.

I have to say that the two commenters who mentioned that Utah had offered first so nya nya! made me laugh harder than I have for weeks. Next they will be saying that their dad can beat mine up.

BlueNTheFace;
    Message received. That was by far the best post I have read for weeks. And yes I am guilty of troll responses

• Chris Bryant SLC, UT
    June 28, 2011 8:14 a.m.

@Starfacer,

and yet, you cared enough to respond........

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    June 28, 2011 7:52 a.m.

SoCalUtahFan | 6:12 a.m. June 28, 2011

Have you ever played sports? Do you even know how all these things work? It cracks me up that you want so badly to bang on BYU that you see what you want to see, not what is real.

Go back and look at BYU offers. they don't offer most of the time until camps. So BYU's camp was later, what's your point...

Oh that's right, you just wanted to find someway to jab at BYU.

I bet the majority of players most college teams offer scholarships to have other scholarship offers. They come at all different times.

It is wearisome that utey trolls just can't let BYU go. I am completely apathetic about the U and couldn't care less, where they go and what they do.

Why do you care so much about BYU?

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    June 28, 2011 7:19 a.m.

I like your style BlueNtheFace, but you forgot to point out that Utah made an offer to the recruit FIRST, meaning that BYU is just following what their big brothers to the north are doing.

Anyway, congratulations, Siale! Good luck with your upcoming seasons, and hope to see you in red someday.

Now, let's get back to the inevitable National Championship, BCS Bowl, Heisman Trophy, Pac-12 invitation, ESPN partnership, team athleticism, stadium size smack-talking!

• SoCalUtahFan Utesville, CA
    June 28, 2011 6:12 a.m.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    June 28, 2011 12:17 a.m.

A refreshing attitude. I wish we could seal him away from the hype so he could choose where "he" wants to go and not where others want him to go. If he never reads these blogs he will be a better man for it.

• JoCo Ute Grants Pass, OR
    June 27, 2011 11:45 p.m.

Congratulations to Siale and his family. Given the cost of a college education and his two current options this is a great opportunity for him to further his education. I think we all can learn from his attitude and respect for both the RED and the BLUE. We fans, more than the players and coaches, sometimes forget what real sportsmanship is.

• BlueNtheFace Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    June 27, 2011 10:54 p.m.

I hope he picks my favorite school because then I can find validation through this small recruiting victory over my rival school. I need this affirmation in my life as I didn't do that well as a youth or young adult and I now live through these young student/athletes.

Go Team!!

;)

• SeattleUhasabballteam? Seattle, WA
    June 27, 2011 10:44 p.m.

Sounds like a great kid. Good luck to Siale and the Colts this year.