Sports

Red roundup: ESPN analyst says Utes in 'good shape' with Wynn

Comments

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    June 26, 2011 11:32 p.m.

wynn + Chow = "We'll see category"

Mark it down!

• hymn to the silent Holladay, UT
    June 26, 2011 3:30 p.m.

A tournament is the perfect idea...and ESPN should carry it. Three teams with a history of NCAA appearances in one state playing a pre-season predictor of season success? What's not to like?

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    June 25, 2011 12:44 p.m.

Where's Stockton? Sure, keep telling yourself that little brother. BTW thanks for showing your obsession with the Utes. I'm sure you can't wait for your team's mid major season to start. Their home schedule is brutal.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    June 24, 2011 6:55 p.m.

KAM Ute
    Oh there's no doubt about wanting to trade places down the road. But it won't be USU or BYU doing the wishing. P.T. Barnum said it best. "There's a sucker born every minute." Commissioner Scott couldn't hook the big fish in Texas or Oklahoma but he managed to at least catch bait. When the Dust settles he's going to look like the clown that WAC Commissioner Benson did when he tried a 16 team 3 ring Circus.

• AggieLuva South Jordan, UT
    June 23, 2011 4:36 p.m.

@DevilishUte | 1:39 p.m. June 23, 2011
    Tempe, AZ

I love USU
    I like BYU
    I like Weber
    I like SUU
    I sort of like Utah

I actually am not a huge fan of Hypes at all. I think Riley Nelson was better last year and is still better this year than Hypes. With that said, they are both better than Wynnie. You bring up #'s from Wynnie early in his career as if he had the same talent level Hypes had last year which isn't even close in comparison. Wynnie has been extremly lucky to have the talent around him to bail him out. I'm sorry to have to break the news to you, but Wynn is not a good QB by any stretch of the imagination. You will see that again first hand this year and Chow will bench him by mid season. I promise you that Hypes will beat Utah this year with Wynnie and next year with whoever they throw in there.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    June 23, 2011 1:43 p.m.

PSUYB,

I'm not worried about it. The biggest question mark Miller puts on Wynn is his recovery from the injury. All indications are that is going well. Also, my take on the article was that all the schools in the Good Shape category were evenly ranked so that puts us tied for 5th.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    June 23, 2011 1:39 p.m.

AggieLuv-

How was it to watch a team you claim to love crush your kewgs 31-16 last year? If you're really an Aggie fan how is it to know that BYU stole your team's colors and isn't apologetic about it?

As to your harsh criticism of Wynn, I think it is unfounded. Wynn had a better QB year than Hypes this past season, while playing injured most of the year. And lest you bring up that Wynn was a sophomore and Hypes was a freshman, Wynn's freshman numbers project fairly similar to Hypes' if Wynn had played as many games as Hypes. Look it up.

Speaking of Hypes, he is a bit overrated. He went 1-6 against teams above .500 last year (including USU) and threw a paltry 2 TDs to 7 Ints in those games. In his only win against a team with a winning record, he threw for a measly 126 yards and 1 Int and was gifted the game by the BYU alum that cheated.

More importantly:

Wynn 1 Hypes 0

• Chris Bryant SLC, UT
    June 23, 2011 12:43 p.m.

@duckhunter

you make some great points. I hope the same.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 23, 2011 12:09 p.m.

@Chris Bryant

Well like I said despite Utah having an inferior team to USU right now they are still a more prominent and presitious program than USU is so they can dictate things like this and all USU can do is whine about it.

But the series will start back up again eventually. I bet most Utah fans are like yourself and would prefer to keep playing it but then your jobs aren't depending on the outcome like Krystkowiak's and Hill's are. I usually try to keep that in mind when I am being critical of BYU's coaches, or the coaches at our High School for that matter. It is their job on the line and their decisions need to reflect that fact.

I really don't wish them, or Utah fans like yourself any ill will. Hopefully they get it straightened out and get back to playing it sooner rather than later. It is a fun rivalry and the state is better off when it is played. It gives us all something to look forward to on those cold winter nights where we need something to do.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    June 23, 2011 12:07 p.m.

Big_Ben

There may be more truth to Cougars-WOB's assessment than you're willing to admit. Here's the view from an Autzen "Pac-12 Walkabout: The Utah Utes" blog:

"The Offensive Line looks shaky this season for the Utes. This group has to deal with a new offensive coordinator and they were struck with an early spring injury to Sam Brenner. Freshman Zac Bolton also went down with an injury forcing him to take a medical retirement."

And here's a view from a Utah fan:

Big_Ben | 8:15 a.m. April 12, 2011

"Hopefully, the offensive line can hold together!"

• Chris Bryant SLC, UT
    June 23, 2011 11:01 a.m.

@phoenix

100% agreed.

• Big_Ben SLC, UT
    June 23, 2011 10:37 a.m.

"a thin offensive line"

Cougars-WOB,

this statement shows just how little you know about the Utah football team.....

• AggieLuva South Jordan, UT
    June 23, 2011 10:35 a.m.

@Striker | 6:51 p.m. June 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    AggieLuva, you're really a AggieHATER. Can you say anything positive about anything? How about you break from tradition and actually be a sportsmanlike fan up there in the country...and form a rivalry with a school who will care.

Really? Explain how I hate USU when I posted this?

AggieLuva | 4:09 p.m. June 22, 2011
    South Jordan, UT
    This was laughable when I read it last week and is even more funny after reading about it again. Utah doesn't want to get embarrassed again and again by losing to little USU in basketball. That is the only reason they didn't schedule USU.

Yah, that really seals the deal of me being a AggieHATER doesn't it? I blew up Wynnie, not USU. USU is head and shoulders above Utah in Basketball.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    June 23, 2011 10:30 a.m.

Chris Bryant

The only reason Chris Hill would schedule San Diego Christian instead of Utah State is because Hill doesn't want to schedule a very likely home loss and an almost certain road loss every other year.

It might be several years before the Utes are competitive enough to actually have a chance of beating the Aggies in the Spectrum.

• Chris Bryant SLC, UT
    June 23, 2011 10:24 a.m.

@Duckhunter

I really don't like the fact that they dropped the USU game. Chris Hill needs to admit that there is absolutely no game that is a guaranteed win. When you lose to SW baptist, oral roberts, seattle and numerous others at home, you lose the ability to pick and choose your wins.

I really want the rivalry with USU to continue. If its a guaranteed loss, so be it. I agree with your analysis on this team. Tough times in this next year, but they will get back to being respectable again.

BTW, not saying it will happen, but this year is the best shot they have at beating BYU in a long time and probably for a long time.

-No Jimmer/Jackson
    -Young guards for BYU versus Jiggy at Utah.
    -Tyler Hawes still on a mission
    -Brandon Davies uncertain status
    -Game is at HC

I still think its about 85% chance that BYU wins, its just something I guess.....

• Cougars - Wise Older Brothers Anaheim, CA
    June 23, 2011 10:20 a.m.

One Nil

Frankly, I'm more concerned about Ole' Miss(not a pushover) and Texas(possibly a very good team), than I am with our little brothers from up north.

Wynn is a serviceable QB, at best, with a brand new receiving corps, new back field, a thin offensive line, and a brand new offense. It's going to take at least 4 to 6 games for Utah's offense to start clicking, even IF, Wynn comes back healthy.

Heaps, on the other hand, is one of the best up and coming QBs in the country, with a deep and talented receiving corps, a solid backfield, an experienced offensive line, and an offensive coordinator who won't be afraid to open up the entire play book.

Don't be too surprised if Heaps and the Cougars win their September 17th matchup with the Utes decisively.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 23, 2011 9:59 a.m.

@Chris Bryant

OK then why did Chris Hill make the comments he made? Is there any doubt that Utah is an even worse team than they were the last time USU went to the HC? It is also very apparent that both Hill and Krystkowiak are very concerned with the team next year, with good reason, all new players, new coach, new system, new conference, etc.

I think they are hoping to improve over the next few years but for now they need less tough games (probable losses) like USU and a few more winnable ones.

It is fun to poke at this but I am sure once they get back to being a more respectable program they will probably reschedule USU. But for now it is apparent it is a game they don't want anything to do with, and regardless of the fact Utah's team is inferior to USU's, Utah's actual place in the college sports heirarchy is quite a bit above USU's so they can do something like this and there really isn't anything USU can do about it other than complain and make fun of them for being scared to play them.

• Chris Bryant SLC, UT
    June 23, 2011 9:25 a.m.

"I'm sure if utah's basketball program ever recovers to the point where they actually have a legitimate chance to win a game with usu then they will probably be more willing to re-schedule it"

Duckhunter,

Utah has beaten Utah State in the HC every time since 2001, even in awful years. I'd say utah always has a "legitimate chance" to beat the aggies.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    June 23, 2011 9:16 a.m.

One Nil to the Arsenal!

I'd be more worried about BYU's schedule too, because other than our date in September with U, I really don't think about your schedule at all. I mean I respect U and all, but this isn't a man-crush or anything. But thanks for your continued interest in who big brother is playing.

One man's worry is another man's excited! I'm excited for our schedule. Right out of the chutes, we'll see what BYU is made of.

Anyway, so thanks to all you Ute fans for letting me come visit. Terrible slow days on the BYU sports news side of things, other than Jimmer and the draft. Football can't start soon enough!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 23, 2011 8:31 a.m.

I think a start of the season tourney is an interesting idea but don't know if it would really work. But let's be honest, college basketball teams play about 30 games per year, it wouldn't be all that hard for BYU, utah and usu to all play each other once. That is only 2 games on each teams schedule.

The only reason utah is not playing it is because they don't want the loss, chris hill pretty much admits it in his comments. I'm sure if utah's basketball program ever recovers to the point where they actually have a legitimate chance to win a game with usu then they will probably be more willing to re-schedule it. Until that time they won't.

They will continue the series with BYU however for multiple reasons. One of course is that is the bigger rivalry and most ute fans will insist on it. The other is hill knows BYU doesn't need them and if he were to try and pull that stuff with BYU he may never get a game back with them again.

Regardless of what utah fans think they need the rivalry as much or more than BYU does.

• One Nil to the Arsenal! Gilbert, AZ
    June 23, 2011 7:01 a.m.

@ Y Grad/Y Dad

I would be more worried with your own schedule than ours. @ Ole Miss (not a push over by the way), @ Texas ( Do you really think Mac will have 2 down years in a row), and then Big Brother coming to town (Besides us spanking you in 04, and 08, you've needed OT & last minute plays to beat us). So.....yes, 0-3 is a real possibility for you. But don't worry,
    Your remaining home schedule which promises to be exciting football will make up for that. New Mexico St, Idaho, USU, and San Jose St are all ranked from #104-120 this year. Should do wonders for your BCS bowl bid this year. Just ask Boise St.

• JustGordon Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 23, 2011 4:33 a.m.

JEEZE, guys! With all this talk about a round robin tournament in the ESA, you can be sure some Utah state legislator will think that a wonderful I idea and get a law passed next year requiring schools to do it!

Gotta love their understand ing of the free market system.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    June 22, 2011 10:15 p.m.

@KamUte
    "USU, BYU and others would do the same if they could trade us places. Any takers?"

What do you mean by this? Are you asking if BYU would drop what has been a great rivalry game against our in state foe after playing each other for decades in favor of playing teams like Adams State, San Diego Christian College, Montana State and Idaho State? Honestly I would be embarrassed if my alma mater dropped USU to play these teams. But then again, these may be the only games Utah wins all year.

And for those of you who think this article is a positive editorial on Wynn should read it again. Wynn is 6th on the list of QB's in the PAC. A three year starter should be ranked higher than that. Ah well, a 6th place finish in the PAC will get the Utes a place in the New Mexico Bowl. Oh the irony.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    June 22, 2011 9:04 p.m.

"Thanks for pointing this out to me...my bad."
    ---MichiganCoog

No worries, there will be plenty more opportunities to show you wrong as you've predicted the Utes will dwell in the basement in the Pac-12 and you've previously predicted an 0-3 start for the Utes this year.

Not gonna happen.

...

I'm not convinced that Utah won't schedule USU in basketball because they're afraid of a loss. They don't have guarenteed games with the Aggies in football, yet when was the last time the Utes lost to USU. No, there is definately more to it than that. But it is because they are too cool for the Aggies as some beat writer for CBS sports points out? Hmmm. I'm thinking Hill could have made some room by getting rid of say, San Diego Community College or Adams State.

...

Y Grad/Dad is not a Utah hater. Staunch BYU fan, yes, but not a hater.

...

Scott Mitchell. Fantasy Football. Bad mix.

• MichiganCoog Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 22, 2011 8:29 p.m.

Thanks for setting me straight FYI...Oh, by the way, I usually just read the header, not much more worth reading anyway...Thanks for pointing this out to me...my bad.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    June 22, 2011 6:51 p.m.

The Elimination tournament is a great idea. Every Utah team has a shot to beat any other Utah team on neutral ground. That way, certain fans can stop their whining about nobody wanting to play them.

• FYI Taylorsville, UT
    June 22, 2011 5:40 p.m.

@MichiganCoog
    "I don't know why most of the comments on this story (that is about J. Wynn), has anything to do with Utah chickening out in facing to USU in Basketball..."

Possibly because they read the entire Red Roundup instead of just the headline.

• -PSUYB- Scranton, Pennsylvania
    June 22, 2011 5:38 p.m.

Mormon Ute,

"Nice to again see some respect for Wynn from an independent source. Yes, there are question marks, but not to the extent many BYU fans would like everyone to believe."

Did you notice in the article that Ted Miller listed 6 teams Qb's ahead of Utah and Wynn?

Great Shape: Standford, Oregon, USC, Arizona, Washington State.
    Good Shape: Oregon State, Utah, Arizona State, Colorado.

So basically Wynn is sitting at about #6 in the PAC. Which is probably fair since all of the schools listed below him are still unclear on a starter at QB.

Jordan Wynn is a mediocre QB. Its easy to win 11 games as a starter when you are surrounded with a lot of talent and experience beating up on the lower MTN West teams. But even so, Sophmore Wynn left South Bend scoreless against 4-5 Notre Dame. I know I dont need to bring up the TCU game.

In 2011 Wynn will have to break in new RB's, new WR's and 2 new Linemen, while recovering from shoulder surgery, while learning and running a new offense, while making the transition to the PAC-12.

Good Luck.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    June 22, 2011 5:15 p.m.

• MichiganCoog Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 22, 2011 4:24 p.m.

But since we're on that topic, Dr. Hill is steering his lackluster basketball program away from bad loss on their home floor, to minimize the number of additional losses they'll incur in the PAC10.2 (perhaps 12-15 in conference).

Bets are that BYU will be next, after winning 9 of the last 10 in b-ball, and after the drubbing that my cougs will administer to Mr. Wynn this coming season (and next), they'll drop playing Football w/ their bigger more watched brothers (on primetime ESPN-TV), to avoid embarrasment on National TV to their Superior rivals.

But since this longtime rivalry with BYU will be shifting onto Colorado for the foreseeable future, they can join the Buffalos in the basement of the PAC10.2 on both the hardwoods and gridiron to console each other in their newly found insignificance together.

Go Cougs, Go Aggies, let us help send our Ute brothers onto a forgettable future.

• AggieLuva South Jordan, UT
    June 22, 2011 4:09 p.m.

As for Utah being in "Good Shape" with Wynnie at QB is even funnier. For all you homers that didn't realize how bad he was last year, are going to finally understand this year how bad he really is. Utah had a lot of talent surrounding him these last few years and that's why you thought he was supposedly good, well you don't have that luxury this year and by week 3 you will be hoping you have someone on the bench that can do something, but you don't. So then what?

Good luck Utes, you will need it more than you know!

• Bronco Loco Henderson, NV
    June 22, 2011 1:20 p.m.

Guess, Utah feels they're too good now to play little old Utah State. Chris Hill and Utah need to remember where they came from and humble down a little bit.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    June 22, 2011 11:50 a.m.

I'd love to see the basketball tournament happen between the instate schools.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    June 22, 2011 11:43 a.m.

1984 for life

I care greatly for the Ute football program! Like anything else, I want little brother to succeed and represent the family well. It will be more impressive to defeat a team that goes on to great things. And most reasonable Ute fans would agree whole heartedly, with of course the roles being reversed.

Seriously, what's not to like? Utah has proven itself to be a football contender on a regular basis under the capable leadership of Coach Whitt, one more in a long line of BYU products done good.

See you in September!

• bookonwomen Beverly Hills, CA
    June 22, 2011 11:38 a.m.

Seed 1-8 BYU, Utah, Utah st. Weber St. SUU, UVU, Dixie St., Westminster. You add Dixie and Westminster to make 8 and you bring in a Cinderella element and it's all of Utah's college teams.

The top 4 get a home game at the start of the week. The 4 winners advance to the semis held on Friday at ESA or the top seeds home floor. The championship is Saturday with a 3rd/4th place game also.

How you finish determines next years seeds. You could even have a losers bracket for a 5th/6th place so all of the teams are guaranteed a least 2 games and 3 at most.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    June 22, 2011 11:06 a.m.

Pretty lame excuses by Hill since conference games begin in January. USU's program is so far above Utah's Hill is just avoiding a guaranteed loss. Too late for his football team though, which is already locked into a guaranteed loss on September 17th.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    June 22, 2011 10:56 a.m.

@ Y Grad / Y Dad | 10:16 a.m. June 22, 2011
    Richland, WA

Detailed analysis on a team that you care so little about.

• Silent Lurker Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 22, 2011 10:43 a.m.

@Y Grad / Y Dad more wishful thinking on your part, Utes by 5 over TDS.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    June 22, 2011 10:16 a.m.

For those too lazy to read the link:

Utah: Jordan Wynn, now a junior, started as a true freshman, is 11-4 as a starter and four times has passed for over 300 yards. Two issues hold Wynn and Utah back here: 1. Wynn is coming back from shoulder surgery, which is always worrisome for quarterbacks; 2. Neither of Wynn's backups, Tyler Shreve and Griff Robles, looked good this spring with Wynn on the sidelines.

In fairness, with those kind of questions, middle of the pac is a safe guess, and if the first issue is resolved, the second issue won't matter much. And finally, Whit has proven the ability to field a complete team that can make a recovering quarterback look pretty good.

Good luck in the PAC! I hope you can recover from your early set-back at LES to run the table and play for the championship.

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    June 22, 2011 10:14 a.m.

Three consecutive days of games? Other than conference tournaments, no coach in the world would choose to participate. Dixie and Westminster are not even in the same classification. Maybe the big four over three days, but not what Chris Bryant is proposing.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    June 22, 2011 10:10 a.m.

A Thursday/Friday/Saturday, round-robin, four-team tournament -- BYU, Utah, Utah State, Weber State -- at ESA in early December would be a great start to the season.

If USU, UVU, SUU, Dixie and Westminster want to do a parallel four-team tournament at the ESA, that's fine, but nobody's going to get excited to see BYU or Utah play Dixie.

• Shawnm750 West Jordan, UT
    June 22, 2011 9:58 a.m.

I think it would be a fun tournament to have, and I think it would be a real shot-in-the arm for some of those lesser-known programs. It would give them a chance to get some publicity for their programs and help with local recruiting.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    June 22, 2011 9:56 a.m.

"Utah athletic director Chris Hill had some pretty lousy answers for dodging the [Utah State] game, which, all of a sudden, was 'too hard to accommodate'. Things like more league games than what the Utes had in the Mountain West were chief among the excuses. No matter what reasons Utah wants to throw out there, the primary one this century-long tiff on the court isn't happening next season is because it's no longer a priority for Utah... Having gone to a new conference, Utah is now looking like the kid who shed 15 pounds in senior year of high school, got a new 'do and is running with the popular crew. They're suddenly too involved with themselves and new friends to pay much attention to one of their oldest pals. Sad, really... This one's all on you, Utes." --CBS Sports

• Chris Bryant SLC, UT
    June 22, 2011 9:43 a.m.

I'd LOVE a yearly weekend tournamnet at ESA. Bring in Weber, Utah, BYU, USU, UVU, SUU, Dixie and Westminster. I think you could do a three day tournament with that and have some fun. Thursday, Friday, Saturday?

It would be grueling, but it owuld be fun for the fans. Obviously, it wouldn't guarantee a BYU-Utah game each year, but that might not be such a bad thing with the way the fans behave.....