Utah

New poll finds Utahns back guest worker program; don't want GOP delegates to call for repeal

Comments

• danaslc Kearns, UT
    July 21, 2011 6:48 a.m.

Lies, Propaganda, Lies and Propaganda. The voters will let you know in 2012 if you are right.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    June 22, 2011 7:00 a.m.

I got called for the poll and when they didn't like my demographic, they ended the call. Jones' methodology on this poll was intended to get the result they wanted. No one I know supports it. This is a sham poll meant to get the desired result. Shame on the D-News and Jones for foisting this nonsense on us.

• C. Darwin Sandy, UT
    June 21, 2011 8:06 p.m.

This is a skewed poll and the results are not reliable. Please, remove this mis-leading article from the online edition. The citizens have shown the DN the true feelings of legal Utahns..

• patriotandmore Spanish Fork, UT
    June 21, 2011 6:09 a.m.

If the existing laws were enforced we wouldn't need new laws.

• Woodyff Mapleton, UT
    June 20, 2011 8:34 p.m.

Read the post by anti-liar, this poll was designed to get the result desired. There is no credibility to Dan Jones/DesNews polls. The demographic is manipulated to get a result to support their agenda. This poll is useless.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    June 20, 2011 4:22 p.m.

Numbers are bogus. No way the majority support this. I haven't listened to one radio show where the vast majority didn't want this bill repealed. Put it this way, if I am a state elected representative I am voting to repeal this thing otherwise I will lose my post come 2012.

• DougB Spanish Fork, UT
    June 20, 2011 7:52 a.m.

Candace, a nearly evenly divided result from 1600 State delegates, especially when most of the propaganda funded by Kirkham, Morales, etc. was skewed towards Witte's side of the equation is hardly anything to write home about either.

I was there in your county section on Saturday. I'd spent months studying the questions -- just like our legislators had when they voted on these bills (despite all the allegations to the contrary - in slick videos and misleading pamphlets directed at us delegates - our legislators spent many months diving deep into these issues.) I was glad to see the LDS Church join the growing choir of voices in support of HB116 as an important, helpful, and reasonable piece of Utah's solutions for decade old problems. I agree with their statements and the Utah compact.

I'm not uneducated. My public education and private university courses really didn't prepare me very well to consider Constitutional issues (in my opinion) so I've had to continue on my own. I've studied more U.S. history, read Federalist papers, letters, journals, broader history, etc.

With that I feel I can honestly disagree that HB116 is unconstitutional. Rather, it addresses state issues in a better way than before.

• Truth2012 OWENS CROSS ROADS, AL
    June 20, 2011 7:12 a.m.

The president of Dan Jones & Associates polling company is the DEMOCRAT senate minority leader of Utah. Should readers be informed?

• CandaceSalima Orem, UT
    June 19, 2011 9:40 p.m.

Asking 400+ constitutionally uneducated people what think of H.B.116, especially when the questions were skewed toward Bramble's side of the equation, is hardly anything to hold one's breath about.

Instead, on Saturday, over 2,100 Republican delegates from all over the state of Utah participated in the vote for the Resolution to Repeal H.B.116, and it passed by 833 to 739. We decided the far-reaching consequences of violating the U.S. Constitution far outweighed the horribly flawed legislation known as H.B.116.

They have to start over, and they have to do it right, without permanently setting a precedent that would lead to the crumbling of America. Anyone who knows anything about the law, understands that.

• Voice Saint George, UT
    June 19, 2011 6:08 p.m.

I'm with people who think poll was skewed.... And by the way I also think...

Yes!!! This call for civility and love of neighbors is wonderful news!
    I can't wait to start feeling the increased love by those who have been taking advantage of my country for years.

Preying on the good will of people and hiding out in their country is not civil nor an act of loving your neighbor.

I give generously to the LDS church and many other organizations that help people in need of any race or legal status. I love my neighbors and always, always act with civility and compassion with people of all races.

Having someone protest against me and my fellow citizens, take medical care, educational funds, welfare money, etc. hasn't felt like love nor civility and I'm glad issue has been brought to light. It doesn't feel like love fom my elected officials to have them supporting easier access to my country. I can't wait to vote them out!

• isrred Logan, UT
    June 19, 2011 3:25 p.m.

Poll: Hatch should go. Right wing extremists and tea partiers "Yay! People agree with me, I told ya so!"

Poll: Utahns support HB116 Right wing extremists and tea partiers "Polls are bogus anyways"

It's pretty laughable really. What was also laughable was the literature at the Republican convention against HB116 calling it "Obama style legislation" that was "rammed through" and blaming amnesty loving liberals. This was legislation "rammed through" by YOUR OWN Republicans and right wingers in the legislature, not the powerless Democrats.

• greenman108 Petaluma, CA
    June 19, 2011 3:08 p.m.

as long as 9.1% or whatever the "official" number are UN-employed, its crass to hire illegals. Its just mean.
    And we all know that the 9.1 is lower than the real number. So we have 20 million citizens out of work, and somehow the people who wrote this bill in question in this thread are trying to act like those millions out of work dont matter. Amazing.

• Thoughtful Voter Spanish Fork, UT
    June 19, 2011 12:30 p.m.

@"Voice 12:14am" This country is not your property. The hypocritical sense of entitlement of those lucky enough to be born here -- completely forgetting that 99% of our ancestors did not face the crazy, racist, unevenly enforced and often contradictory, relatively new, and continually changing 'immigration regulations' that you seems to value over any other law or moral aspect of this question.

Finally, the delegates at the State GOP delegation sent a fascinating message -- even with all the money poured into the debate by Kirkham, Morales, etc. -- even with all the videos produced full of false claims, pamphlets twisting issues, and the sea of blue t-shirts alleging that only a repeal of HB116 would be in alignment with the US Constitution -- even with all that -- the toothless repeal resolution was split almost exactly 50/50 and barely passed.

• greenman108 Petaluma, CA
    June 19, 2011 8:30 a.m.

keep it simple. put people in jail who hire illegals. End the sham.
    If you become a felon when you hire an illegal, all the illegals will leave the USA.

PS. 9% unemployment is not related to the 10 million illegals here, right?
    What about the needs of those Americans who are already here?
    Too impractical for the hiring managers, right?

• Voice Saint George, UT
    June 19, 2011 12:14 a.m.

Interesting conflict between the KSL and DJones polls.
    Thank heavens the delegates took care of business at the Republican convention.

I'm sure it is part of the job description of enforcers to be civil while they return illegal people to their countries.

I'm civil to people I know of every color and I think most people are.

In my opinion, the people who I see as being the least civil are those advocated for the rights of illegal people. The fact a person is not willing to abide by laws automatically says "not civil" to me. It is civil disobedience and then they get citizens saying people who don't agree with them aren't kind or civil. Where is the KINDNESS AND CIVILITY IN staying in someone else's country ILLEGALLY?

• tom_e Kaysville, UT
    June 18, 2011 4:34 p.m.

If the guest worker program would actually help the economy then every neighborhood, city and state would want a guest worker program. The truth is the cities that are going broke in California have a high number of foreign nationals. They do not pay into the system as much as they take out. Davis school district wants to raise taxes for the fourth time in five years. When ask why the answer is they have 900 new students whose parents most of whom are foreign nationasl who do not put enough into the system to educate their own children. It guest worker programs only add money to the pockets of the greedy businesses.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    June 18, 2011 8:28 a.m.

When a drug dealer who is a convicted felon and twice deported from this country can calmly sit in a court room with a perverse sense of entitlement and tell the court that he shot a female deputy sherriff who leaves behind a family that still grieves her loss... and he makes no bones that he did it with an illegally obtained AK 47 assault rifle simply because he felt he was being racially profiled... then there is obviously something wrong with our current immigration laws. They failed people...and they failed miserably. If the federal government can't handle it then the State has to... and they have to do it responsibly. This current piece of legislation is in no shape or form meeting the necessary mandate to protect the legal citizens of this state.

Everyone in the state knows the story behind all of this as well as the additional tragic aftermath of the story...with her brother. Utah along with New Mexico, Texas, Arizona, California, Nevada. and Colorado sit at the apexes, and crosroads of the most dangerous Drug trafficing routes in the world. People... we aren't even close to any type of prevention of...or protection from.

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    June 18, 2011 7:45 a.m.

CHS 85 Absolutely not...it's quite obvious that the poll isn't getting around to the right people...the responses to this blog have a better repesentation of the opinions of people from around the state and in the Metro area. Look at all the number stars in opposition stars and try and tell yourself otherwise.

• RRB SLC, UT
    June 17, 2011 9:51 p.m.

I've had a poll terminated by Dan Jones before when I didn't answer correctly. Maybe it was relevant, maybe not.

I would bet they (workers) have to sign non disclosure, paper trails die there.

I do know that the openness of some towards allowing illegal immigrants to come here is dishonest and immoral. We are being told to be compassionate towards those already here, but nothing is being done to stop those still encouraging others to break our laws.

It's a scam to manipulate America's labor market.

• UtahVoter Spanish Fork, UT
    June 17, 2011 9:03 p.m.

anti-liar, as manipulative as most polls are, I'm gonna have to say that I think your "liar-meter" failed you today. People say all sorts of stupid things to get on talk radio. If what the Arquette caller claimed was even remotely true then there would be an easy-to-find-and-follow paper trail to prove it. The callers had to follow a script. I guarantee you that if what the caller claimed was true, you'd have a major major Utah story that would probably find national legs. Beck, Hannity, all the major networks -- people love a story that outrageous -- it confirms all their fears about polling, the media, etc. I've seen some dishonest and bad polling, but that would take the cake -- please somebody track this down and check, I guess.

• Viva la Migra American Fork, UT
    June 17, 2011 8:51 p.m.

I read through part of the bill and saw that the $2,500 fine only applies to illegal aliens who crossed illegally. Those who entered under a Visa and overstayed (about half the illegals) only have to pay $1,000. I wonder how many illegals might submit forged paperwork showing an expired Visa in order to save money?

It would actually cost an employer less to hire an illegal alien "guest worker" over a legal worker because the illegals aren't subject to Utah Unemployment Insurance and must provide their own health insurance saving the employer the cost of UI insurance/Health care.

There is also a provision which directs businesses to collect Federal income tax for these "guest workers" who won't have social security numbers, but submit it to the State of Utah into a restricted account instead of the Federal government.

I'm not sure how many employers would want to submit their quarterly or year-end IRS tax reports showing income paid, but not a full amount of withholding being deposited to the government. This would probably lead employers to pay them off the books to avoid IRS suspicion.

• RRB SLC, UT
    June 17, 2011 5:48 p.m.

Mexico has the 14th best economy in the world, and less unemployment than we have. They also have food programs for the poor. It's not that difficult to come here legally, my family members did. The US lets in over a million a year, not counting work visas. Of course it's possible, but you need to wait in line like the rest of the world.

Families with birthright children qualify for food stamps, medicaid and financial help for all children. WIC, baby your baby, day care, etc can all be accessed by those here illegally.

Polls that "qualify" people are not honest.

Let's stop telling the citizens that are being hurt by these actions to be compassionate, and tell it to those breaking our laws.

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    June 17, 2011 5:22 p.m.

Can anyone show me where illegals are entitled to free medical care or other gov't benefits. Who is spreading these lies? The truth is they are not. The only exception I know of is pregant women can get medical care. Rep. Sandstrom said it all when he mentioned they threaten our culture. That only means one thing to me, it is about race. Look at where those here illegally are working. Farm labor, service sector jobs, meat packing plants. The far right is loosing the battle and they know it. When high leadership in the LDS church challenge your rhetoric you ought to re-consider your position. It is not about supporting illegal immigration. It is about understanding how desperate the situation is in Mexico. If they had the opportunity to be legal they wouldn't need to steal identities or hide in the shadows. Compassion will always prevail over hate and ignorance.

• anti-liar Salt Lake City, UT
    June 17, 2011 5:20 p.m.

Less than an hour ago on Rod Arquette's radio show (about 5:20pm, today), a caller called in who said he had been phoned by the Dan Jones company to be polled for this very poll.

Among the QUALIFYING QUESTIONS:

Q. (level of education)
    A. graduate degree

Q. Do you read the newspaper?
    A. No, I don't like the paper.

Q. Do you listen to the radio?
    A. Yes.

At that, this respondent was DISQUALIFIED.

And no wonder: talk radio resonates with the values of more Americans than does today's traditional media.

What a monumental shame, this poll is. Really.

• RRB SLC, UT
    June 17, 2011 4:38 p.m.

Pass a law that demands E-verify of all business, and will pull the license of repeat offenders (constitutional) and require business to use the already available federal visas. It accomplishes the same thing, it fits the LDS statement and is constitutional, and it will not require the state of Utah to create an entirely new department of government, at the expense of Utah's taxpayers.

When Arizona tried to pass the enforcement bill, people were complaining it was unconstitutional. Now those same people are promoting this unconstitutional bill? What is wrong here? Are we planning on succeeding from the Union?

• tenx Santa Clara, UT
    June 17, 2011 4:24 p.m.

ksl poll a few days ago was 74% against. Now this new poll says otherwise. I smell a rat!!!

• JBrady Murray, Ut
    June 17, 2011 3:42 p.m.

Obvious attempt to sway votes last minute.

Utah has no legal right to circumvent immigration and labor laws. You can't take jobs from citizens and give them to second class workers. We already have visa programs for that.

• Thoughtful Voter Spanish Fork, UT
    June 17, 2011 3:15 p.m.

I'm a State delegate and I don't trust the dynamics of polling to work out very well on this question. I've talked to many delegates who will vote on the GOP resolution encouraging repeal who change their minds daily (or even hourly, heh) on HB116.

Just like the county convention resolution votes showed, there are pockets of support and hate for 116 all over the state and it almost matters what day you query people even in those pockets.

At the very least people are starting to become aware of the issues, real questions, and possible solutions and improvements.

I'm voting against the repeal resolution and *for* keeping HB116. I agree with the LDS Church's five statements on immigration this year. I think the reasons they give for supporting this years legislation are sound and compelling -- regardless of a person's religious affiliation. (I happened to have already come to those conclusions, though, so I didn't face the difficult dissonance and reconsidering that many of my LDS colleagues now face as they find themselves in opposition to an official statement of their Church.)

I'm glad they made a statement though.

• DeltaFoxtrot West Valley, UT
    June 17, 2011 2:36 p.m.

Note that the poll has a discrepancy of +/-5%. -5% puts approval right back at 56%... which is where it was last time they did a poll.

What does this all mean?

In reality the state is split pretty much 50/50 on whether we should enforce the "law of the land" or find ways to circumvent it.

All this really does is show the power of the Latino Lobby. Politicians are afraid of losing the Latino vote, so they pass laws that favor illegal immigrants.

Perhaps all the pot smokers should take a page from this and get their act together. If the Latinos can successfully force the legislature to go against immigration laws there may be hope for Medical Marijuana in this state yet.

• leer Salt Lake City, UT
    June 17, 2011 2:01 p.m.

It's a Dan Jones / KSL commissioned poll...let's just leave it at that.

• Alfred SLC, Utah
    June 17, 2011 1:53 p.m.

@albu1595 12:54 p.m.: "Here's the problem....who gets to decide who stays and who goes?"

Here's the answer... all will get to stay.

Further, most will stay in the shadows not wanting to pay the $2,500.

And even further, those who come here on work visas will forget to go home. That's why we have 15 million illegals in this country now.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    June 17, 2011 1:16 p.m.

Psh.

When does the GOP every listen to Utah?

*'Herbert signs records bill HB477 after rally for veto' - By Paul Koepp, Deseret News - 03/08/11

'More than 100 people gathered near the steps leading up to the House chamber to demand a veto from Gov. Gary Herbert as lawmakers who passed an amended HB477 Monday delaying its effective date until July 1 looked down from the corridors above.
    But an 8 p.m. news release from the governor's office said he signed the bill along with 18 other measures that have passed the 2011 Legislature.'

They know that Utah will keep voting Republican...

No matter what. They. Do.

• Jory payson, utah
    June 17, 2011 1:03 p.m.

You have to look at the questions. It just asked about the guest worker part of HB 116. It said nothing else about the other parts of HB 116. Sorry to say, this poll was asked in a bias way.

• albu1595 SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    June 17, 2011 12:54 p.m.

Ok so here is the problem. I don't oppose this bill in and of itself. The 2500 fine and being able to work is ok by me. It's the FOOD STAMPS, MEDICAL CARE, and every other dang tax we pay. I do support the Christlike thing and the only way I can see this going is on a case by case basis. Here's the problem....who gets to decide who stays and who goes. I think its very dangerous for someone to have the power/burden of making those decisions. And as long as this is America I don't see medical care being withheld or food stamps being denied. The church is going to say of course to love everyone. I don't like this situation because sometimes it can't be simple. I love all men. But I also love those of us in the US struggling to find employment and pay taxes. What a pickle.

• alanamerican SLC, UT
    June 17, 2011 12:47 p.m.

OF COURSE NEWS MEDIA OUTLET FOR "THE CHURCH' are proponents for illegal alien amnesty. Of course the phone survey was conducted in the middle of the afternoon when illegal aline, out of work, medicaid and medicare recipients are home watching OPRAH.

• Brer Rabbit Spanish Fork, UT
    June 17, 2011 12:43 p.m.

I like my poll best. I have been calling the Spanish Fork/Payson area state delegates and find them about 3 to 1 in favor of the "Repeal HB116 Resolution." Dan Jones polling has often been used to favor those that pay them. Perhaps you recall the 2008 3rd Congressional District race when Dan Jones polls were saying that the election was too close to call, but then Rep Chaffetz won by 20% of republican primary voters.

Polling the general population, Democrats, Independents, Republican, and lazy non-voters, makes this poll entirely irrelevant.

By the way my wife, and I are both state delegates and plan to vote in favor of the "Repeal HB116 Resolution." HB116 was passed "Obama/Pelosi/Reid" style by the legislature the last week of the session. They passed it so that we could see what was in it, knowing full well that it was unconstitutional.

• wrz SLC, Utah
    June 17, 2011 11:28 a.m.

@DaleC: "The Lord already has an immigration policy. It is in Alma chapter 27. The Latinos are here by prophecy."

Not so, according to DNA tests.

"A midst our wealth and prosperous circumstances, can we not extend the hand of fellowship?"

Not when we have 25 million unemployed Americans sitting home and sucking up billions in unemployment benefits from money the government doesn't have... and must borrow from China. If immigrants want work, let them emigrate to China where the work is. Go to any big box store such as Wal-Mart and look at where the merchandise is manufactured. It will knock you out.

• wrz SLC, Utah
    June 17, 2011 11:19 a.m.

What the poll also shows is that Utah is being overrun with immigrants, illegal and otherwise.

• BYU Alum Cedar Hills, UT
    June 17, 2011 11:15 a.m.

Here is a list of who voted for HB116. Please vote them out in 2012!
    Anderson, Arent, Bird, Biskupski, Brown, D, Brown, M, Butterfield, Christensen, Cosgrove, Dee, Dougall, Draxler
    Edwards, Fisher, Janice, Froerer, Hemingway, Hendrickson
    Hutchings, Kiser, Litvack, McIff, Menlove, Moss, Noel,
    Perry, Peterson, J, Peterson, V, Pitcher, Poulson, Powell,
    Richardson, Sagers, Sanpei, Seelig, Vickers, Watkins, Webb
    Wheatley, Wiley, Wright, Lockhart, Adams, Bramble, Christensen, Davis, Hillyard, Jenkins, Jones, Knudson
    McAdams, Morgan, Niederhauser, Okerlund, Reid, Robles,
    Stephenson, H., Stevenson, J.,Valentine, Van Tassell, Waddoups

These people were voted in by the Utah Taxpayers to represent Utah Taxpayers, but they have chosen instead to exploit an invading underclass of people they can pay an unfair wage to with the rest of us picking up the education and medicals costs. Agenda driven polls and news coverage turns my stomach. Of course everyone is for immigration and immigrants. Place "illegal" in front of "immigrant" in the Dan Jones poll and the poll results will be reversed. Repeal HB116 and throw out the politicians who would compromise our Utah culture and society for monetary gain!

• Alfred SLC, Utah
    June 17, 2011 11:13 a.m.

The poll musta been taken in an Hispanic community.

• gizmo33 St. George, Utah
    June 17, 2011 11:04 a.m.

so all of you that are against the guest worker program are going to fill out applications and send them in to the farmers so you can go out there and pick all them fruits and veggies right ? because if you dont I guess all them farms can shut down and you can have all the agricultural operations here outsourced ( like everything else is ) and then we can flatten out all them farms and put in parking lots and make more room for another home improvement store and maybe a coffee shop and another big box store.

• Hunt Spanish Fork, UT
    June 17, 2011 10:59 a.m.

@terra nova | 10:28 a.m. June 17, 2011

So you have no issue with the fact that the bill enacts institutional racism?

You have no issue with the fact that, if the bill is enacted, it will limit the access of nationalities and races much more deserving of our compassion via legal immigration?

You have no issue with the fact that the only way a waiver can be obtained is through Congress, and that Congress has no desire to grant such a waiver?

You have no problem with the bill creating second class citizens who will legally be able to go after higher paying legal jobs creating a void for the employers of illegals which will then be filled by new illegals coming into the state?

At the repeal HB116 website in the FAQ section you will find a much better, much more humane, and much fairer route to handling illegal immigration in the state of Utah. A route that doesn't reward the criminal behavior of the illegals or their employers.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    June 17, 2011 10:54 a.m.

I got polled and it was tremendously skewed so you have to like the hb116. It amde it sound like you were voting against the country if you were against hb116. Bad poll that could not be accurate no matter which side you are on.

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    June 17, 2011 10:52 a.m.

All those in favor may pay for the illegals medical and other welfare that they use. Those oppose may opt out of the tax increase.

• BoomerJeff Saint George, UT
    June 17, 2011 10:52 a.m.

DaleC: Not sure why you think Alma 27 is the Lord's immigration policy if you are comparing illegal aliens to the Anti-Nephi-Lehi's. In verse 27, it says the people of Anti-Nephi-Lehi were "perfectly honest and upright in ALL things". Illegal aliens are dishonest when they steal social security numbers and take jobs they are not entitled to, so they are not like them, sorry. I like the policy however, provide protection to those who need it, but have them pay for it (verse 24). If America had followed this advice, our national debt would be alot smaller.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    June 17, 2011 10:46 a.m.

Anyone who has ever taken any type of statistical analysis class or training is well aware that polls can be skewed very easily, primarily by it's wording. Change the wording of a poll just slightly and you will often get a completely different result.
    The fact that the Deseret News, the sponser of this particular poll, has proven itself to be highly in favor of HB116, is enough to make the wording, and thus the results highly suspect. Other similarly published polls have shown vastly different results.
    My personal poll won't carry alot of weight, but I've personally talked with only one person, out of dozens, who is in favor of HB116. This is another reason I question the validity of this latest poll. It's doubtful they polled a true cross-section of citizens... or if they even made sure they were talking to citizens. There are just too many reasons to question this poll's results, and if it actually represents what the people of Utah really want.

• California girl Bluffdale, UT
    June 17, 2011 10:46 a.m.

As a delegate who will attend the convention tomorrow my job is to represent the REPUBLICAN voters in my district. This poll was conducted asking all voters what their opinion was. The convention tomorrow is the REPUBLICAN convention. Why didn't this article report on the results of republicans polled? I will vote for the resolution to repeal HB116 tomorrow. I will represent other republicans not the community at large.

Please think for yourselves and don't let polls like this sway your opinions. Do your own research. This bill was pushed through with little debate. Many of the legislators didn't even read the bill before passing it. It was presented at the last minute and pushed through by the establishment and special interests. It's about exploiting cheap labor guys.

• anti-liar Salt Lake City, UT
    June 17, 2011 10:34 a.m.

"61 percent of Utahns" -- based on 406 persons! Ha! Are you kidding?

And who were these 406? How "random" were they? Any profiling of Spanish surnames, perhaps, or profiling of neighborhood demographics, Dan Jones? Any profiling of businesses? How about agriculture-types? Were such effectively targeted, Dan Jones? Just asking.

I do know this: illegal aliens who lie about their identities and regularly perjure themselves on employment forms, etc. are not to be trusted to answer the phone to Dan Jones and tell the truth about their true immigration status (which of course would disqualify them). Given the large number of illegal aliens in Utah, there actually is a good chance that a number of the respondents were in fact themselves illegal aliens.

And it is a demonstrated fact that a great many LEGAL Latinos in this state are in favor of illegal immigration and are opposed to enforcement of immigration law.

And of course we know that certain businesses, and certain types of businesses, often employ illegals and of course want them to stay.

This poll is bogus and shameful.

• terra nova Park City, UT
    June 17, 2011 10:28 a.m.

I too am a state delegate and WILL NOT vote to repeal HB116. It is not perfect but it manages to find a somewhat rational middle-ground on the issue of immigration. It is better than anything else proposed yet.

I cannot support the embarrassingly mean-spirited, thoughtless, cruel, heartless and xenophobic policies promulgated by elected officials like Mr. Wimmer and Mr. Sandstrom.

• On the other hand Spanish Fork, UT
    June 17, 2011 10:26 a.m.

Forget HB116. Repeal the caucus system.

• Fitness Freak Salt Lake City, UT
    June 17, 2011 9:49 a.m.

I doubt the delegates are fooled by yet another bogus pro-immigration "survey".

The bigger question is: why does the DN favor illegal alien trespassers over ACTUAL Utah citizens?

• Hunt Spanish Fork, UT
    June 17, 2011 9:45 a.m.

It is very telling that this poll was run right after the dnews and others blitzkrieg of misleading information this past.
    Polls are a simple snapshot in time. One way to skew a poll is to flood the media market with your opinion and then immediately run the poll.
    This is a simple dishonest tactic that can create large skews in the polling. If the dnews and other outlets were in the business of journalistic integrity they would've given equal time to all sides of the issue. Since they are in the business of supporting those that support hb116, it should be obvious to everyone, regardless of your stance, that this did not happen. Again, regardless of your stance, this should scare each and every one of us that media outlets are being used as propaganda machines.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    June 17, 2011 9:41 a.m.

Meawhile in another local newspaper a poll in the Provo Daily Herald shows that over 60% support a over-turning HB 116....

On KSL Doug Wrights web page....a poll showed that over 80% supported over turning HB 116....

So take you pick? You can skew polls to say just about anything you want

CNN and NBC do it everyday.....

• One Utah Taxpayer Kearns, UT
    June 17, 2011 9:29 a.m.

I assume the GOP delegates will still push repeal since they are wiser than the rest of us and the GOP platform is the "Constitution" in their minds.

I support HB116 and hope the delegates will leave it alone. If not, it'll be easier to vote for Democrats.

• s.k.Stevie magna, utah
    June 17, 2011 9:22 a.m.

I am a little leery of the results on such a low number of calls and wonder were the calls really random , what time of day were they placed, and what were the questions asked. Was anybody reading these comments called as part of this poll?

• Happy77 Bountiful, UT
    June 17, 2011 9:21 a.m.

Maintain HB 116! It is one of the great things our legislators have done this year. Those of you against it, don't worry you will find a job soon. Things will get better. Don't hate but be great.

• CJ Murray, UT
    June 17, 2011 8:53 a.m.

Owen,
    So what?? Only the delegates count and where you work is far from representative of the population, I guarantee it.

• Phill Provo, UT
    June 17, 2011 8:46 a.m.

This shows that Utahns are smart, conscious people and that it is only the minority the loudest screamers on this case.

• Emophiliac Vernal, UT
    June 17, 2011 8:38 a.m.

Talk about a racist law, no matter how you look at it. Either we are saying that Hispanics are needed and suited for low-end jobs, or that we don't need to help any Asians or Blacks.

And that is even without commenting on the 100,000 unemployed US citizens that we are paying to sit on their behinds.

• Hunt Spanish Fork, UT
    June 17, 2011 8:33 a.m.

Just like they refuse to distinguish between legal and illegal immigrants, these polls do the same in not distinguishing between Republican and Non-Republican. The convention tomorrow is about representing the party not the will of every Utahn. An honest poll would've seperated the results by party ofiliation.

• My 2 Bits Orem, UT
    June 17, 2011 8:26 a.m.

I don't buy it for one second. In my mind, when the economy is struggling, the whole thing comes down to money. Not only is this bill expensive to administrate, and follow through on, but the money that goes to the resources like school, health care etc. is too high for people to swallow in hard times. Every session people are asked to give more to schools, but because taxes are low, schools are asked to function on less. People are being asked to make tough decisions. I am not trying to downplay the immigration factor. I just don't think it has as much to do with immigration as it does money, and that is why the numbers could never be this high.

• Danish American Payson, UT
    June 17, 2011 8:08 a.m.

Poll are worthless when you start with end in mind. If you poll the "right" demographics that support your viewpoint you will always get the result you want. The Desert News is so one-sided on this issue they wouldn't even publish the results if they came up different.

• DaleC Magna, UT
    June 17, 2011 8:02 a.m.

The Lord already has an immigration policy. It is in Alma chapter 27. The Latinos are here by prophecy. A midst our wealth and prosperous circumstances, can we not extend the hand of fellowship? We will be blessed for it.

• provo.res Provo, UT
    June 17, 2011 7:55 a.m.

The Dan Jones poll was not a push poll. Dan Jones is neutral and is a highly respected organization. I myself was polled, by random selection. The questions were neutral, asked about more than just HB 116, and did not lead to a particular conclusion. We can trust the results of this poll. Question is, can we trust the state delegates to represent ALL their neighbors fairly, not just the ones who agree with them?

• provo.res Provo, UT
    June 17, 2011 7:49 a.m.

@C. Darwin: The ksl poll had a much smaller number of participants, and people could vote more than once. So it's highly inaccurate.

• Owen Heber City, UT
    June 17, 2011 7:36 a.m.

@CJ Just asked the 11 folks I work with at a conservative old school Utah utility. 7 of 11 favor leaving it in place. 11 of 11 think the delegates will ignore the church.

• truth to be Told Orem, UT
    June 17, 2011 7:30 a.m.

Dan Jones is married to Senator Pat Jones (D). What else would you expect from a poll on illigal immigration from these guys. KLS had a different poll just a few days ago where the support for the Repeal was overwhelming, that poll has disappeared now. KSL, DN and SLT are not trust worthy sources of information on this issue. The Resolution to Repeal HB116 will pass tomorrow by a long shot!

• jenrmc Fort Worth, TX
    June 17, 2011 7:30 a.m.

I agree with the statement that since The LDS church is transparently backing the illegal immigration amnesty movement the majority of church members are lining up rank and file. This is another instance of the Church becoming politically vocal and swaying Church members. I wonder how many of the people polled share the same religious background. If a majority of them are LDS then there is a bias in the poll that isn't being acknowledged. A better poll would have asked the religious background of those being polled since the LDS church is so vocal about this issue.

• Craig Salt Lake City, UT
    June 17, 2011 7:20 a.m.

Dan Jones is great at using push polls. You can get the results you want in a poll by its wording.

• Mary E Petty Sandy, UT
    June 17, 2011 7:15 a.m.

When the law is wrong, good people must rise up and change it. That is what happened in America with the original Tea Party where American Patriots rose up against the Tea Act of 1773 and Britain in America's War of Independence. That is what happened when the Republicans abolished and prohibited Slavery in America with the Reconstruction Amendments to the Constitution. That is what good people are doing today in Utah with immigration law. We are working for that better day in America.

• tom_e Kaysville, UT
    June 17, 2011 7:03 a.m.

On Sat. the GOP will tell Deseret News, KSL, the Salt Lake Chamber and Mark Willes what they think of their poll. That is why I vote for the GOP.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 17, 2011 6:57 a.m.

Dan Jones polls are notorious for being able to produce the desired results, so this was a foregone conclusion.

HB 116 is unconstitutional, in addition to just being flat out the wrong answer to immigration problems. It is nothing less than state sponsored amnesty, rewarding illegal behavior.

We really should be checking the employment status of every worker in the businesses that belong to the Chamber which is pushing this foolishness.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    June 17, 2011 6:55 a.m.

In other news 9 out of 10 employers who employ illegal aliens favor a guest worker program. The other one fears that wages will go up if it becomes legal to hire illegal aliens. 10 out of 10 unemployed construction workers oppose the same guest worker program.

What is the difference between making it LEGAL to hire ILLEGAL aliens and looking the other way if they have a guest worker permit and amnesty?

Do they lose that permit if they lose their job?

• Hawkeye79 Iowa City, IA
    June 17, 2011 6:42 a.m.

Fascinating, although it won't matter much in the future anyway, as the state of Utah does not have the Constitutional authority to grant foreigners permission to reside in the U.S. without federal approval.

• Owen Heber City, UT
    June 17, 2011 6:34 a.m.

That settles it then.The state's major institutions and 61% of the citizens support the guest-worker program. I'm confident the delegates will represent the will of the people. OR they might continue to believe, as Herrod and Beckham do, that delegates are more "educated" than the rest of us. Legislators' hubris in the face of facts is what has this nation stalled. Will someone represented by Mr. Herrod tell him 2/3 of us are not tired of references to racist and unChristian acts. We are tired of the other 1/3, including some who are supposed to be representing us, calling us uneducated.

• Gordonwho Milville, UT
    June 17, 2011 6:32 a.m.

Now lets get a poll that is not backed by a LDS Media group or is church sponsored. I think that kind of poll would show a vastly different result.

• C. Darwin Sandy, UT
    June 17, 2011 6:28 a.m.

Deseret news poll found Utahns favor HB116.
    KSL poll found Utahns oppose HB116. 78% oppose . 22% favor

Who do I believe?

• yarrlydarb Ogden, UT
    June 17, 2011 6:15 a.m.

When "straw polls" are included in news stories the uninformed, opinionated readers think they report reality.

But when a scientific poll is conducted by Dan Jones and Associates, they reject it and claim it's invalid.

Their "personal poll" of asking the opinion of ten of their friends, somehow causes them to think that it reflects reality!

The legislature passed this law in the last session. My question is, why are the revisiting this issue?

The teapartiers and ultra conservative lawmakers will eventually find themselves replaced when they ultimately fail to pass their agenda.

• jim l West Jordan, UT
    June 17, 2011 6:13 a.m.

I am a state delegate and i will vote tomorrow to have HB 116 repealed. I dont believe these polls. They can be so skewed. Who did they call? We dont need guest workers with free health care and other benefits. Again the fat cats want cheap labor and for the rest of us to foot the bill. No thanks.

• Ricardo Carvalho Provo, UT
    June 17, 2011 5:56 a.m.

Gotta love it folks. A scientific poll is conducted and our representative says that the only reason the results turned out that way is because Utahns, particularly housewives, are dumber than he is. That smacks of a bit of arrogance I think.

• danaslc Kearns, UT
    June 17, 2011 5:21 a.m.

These polls are never correct. The numbers are to low and whom are they polling? My friends and neighbors need the jobs that illegal immigrants are taking. They are tired of th taxes they pay to keep them here. I don't understand your polls when the public I know wants everify and jobs.

• IdahoStranger NEWDALE, ID
    June 17, 2011 4:01 a.m.

Times are tough and the economy will likely get worse in spite of what the government is telling us. Jobs now held by "illegal aliens" (undocumented immigrants) are now being sought by unemployed citizens.

The "Goose that lays the golden eggs" is in danger of not being able to lay anymore golden eggs. Is HB116 the answer or will it only make the problem worse?

Google "Gumballs and Immigration" and "Young Love in Rexburg" to get a different perspective about this problem.

• CJ Murray, UT
    June 17, 2011 12:51 a.m.

What a bunch of baloney this is. Ask ten people you know and see if one of them wants this farce of a bill. Another DN stacked poll trying to further their amnesty agenda is all this amounts to. The vote on repeal is going to pass and pass big, watch and see. They said the same thing about every repeal vote at every county convention and every one of them passed. With thousands of unemployed in Utah who in their right minds think we need to sit around and make deals with those who crashed the border and have no right to be here in the first place?

• Janell West Valley City, Ut
    June 17, 2011 12:47 a.m.

CHS,

Probably not, considering that most people I know agree with them and bitterly disagree with the results of this "poll".

• sjgf South Jordan, UT
    June 17, 2011 12:39 a.m.

Both the LDS Church and its news outlet, the Deseret News, have been heavily campaigning lately for HB116. More and more members of the LDS Church feel like they'd better get in line with this position.

The poll results suggests that the LDS Church's campaign in immigration politics is working.

• MormonDem Provo, UT
    June 17, 2011 12:20 a.m.

You're entitled to your own opinions, folks, but not your facts. Just because you're sure you're in the majority doesn't mean that you are. If a poll shows that 61% of Utahns believe one thing, and neither you nor anyone you know believes that thing, it doesn't mean the poll is wrong--it simply means that you don't interact very often with people that disagree with you.

• legalimmigrant Springville, Utah
    June 16, 2011 11:58 p.m.

Who did they poll? Illegal aliens? Business owners? I am a legal permanent resident of Latino heritage and I am in favor of repealing HB 116.

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    June 16, 2011 11:15 p.m.

If the poll had found opposite results, would the two previous posters also feel the poll was skewed?

• Jane Johnson PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    June 16, 2011 10:46 p.m.

I find it difficult to believe this poll. I doubt people want to have illegal aliens pay a fine and then stay here getting free medical care, free education, and free food stamps taking jobs here while many of our citizens cannot secure employment. We want the repeal to happen!

• RichardB Murray, UT
    June 16, 2011 10:45 p.m.

I don't believe the numbers, I've yet to find 10 people that support giving amnesty and jobs to those here illegally, over citizens and potential honest legal immigrants.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    June 16, 2011 10:33 p.m.

Only goes to show how the very Vocal ultra-far-right "minority" of this State, have nearly completely high-jacked not only the GOP, but in turn the entire Utah State Legislature.

When a small minority have control over the vast majority - that is no longer a Representative Republic.

• E. Matscheko St. George, UT
    June 16, 2011 10:21 p.m.

Although I am an advocate for immigration reform I wonder, if Dan Jones & Associates extended their poll to unemployed Utahns and their families.
    Anyway, I'm sure the next elections will reflect Uthans' opinions.