Sports

Jordan Chatman, son of legendary Cougar, receiving local attention

Comments

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    June 21, 2011 8:26 p.m.

@ MidMajor4ever

All that matters is kicking the utes trash on a regular basis. BTW, Rose is building a program that will be the best in the West in the near future. As chris b would say, Mark it down.

P.S. you can land all the 3 stars you want, but with no local ties, you can kiss it goodbye.

• MidMajor4ever Syracuse, UT
    June 17, 2011 7:25 p.m.

So duuuuucky,

IF byu continually gets "good recruits", why have they only won 12 NCAA Tournament games in their entire history? Why no Final Fours or Championship games with all the good recruits your school gets?

Utah's coaching change occured after the majority of players had made their commitments so landing six 3-star players (according to rivals) wasn't a bad start for the new coaching staff.

I know you love putting negative spins, tossing all logic aside when you communicate on these boards but based on the situation Coach K was placed in, he did a pretty decent job. Next season's recruits will show the effects of a power conference when the results are in. Until then, have your fun with your spins!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 15, 2011 11:09 a.m.

@nil

But despite BYU's abysmal 1-25 season the current run of ute ineptitude exceeds BYU's late 90's run. BYU had 3 losing seasons and then returned immediately to a 20 win team. utah has had a losing record 4 of the last 6 seasons and will almost undoubtedly have another one next year and probably at minimum another after that. There are no signs at all that utah is improving as they haven't signed a good recruit in years and are currently constituted of JC tranfers and late signees that other schools passed on.

Once utah signs one single top recruit get back to us. BYU actually kept on getting good recruits even though they were not good because LDS recruits wanted to play there anyway. utah does not have the advantage of a built in supply of recruits like BYU does. It could be a long time before utah recovers.

• Anonymous Infinity American Fork, UT
    June 15, 2011 10:37 a.m.

Students graduating from high school and can qualify for an AA degree concurrently just illustrates how shallow the regular high school curriculum is since I attended high school; as well as how dumbed down university courses are at this point in time.

As to Chapman, how does he qualify as a bigtime recruit with the universities seeking his services? If he were so great, how is it that major bigtime basketball schools aren't on the list? What is all the hullabaloo anyway? His father wasn't anybody in terms of players who later can play at the next level. Let's calm down everybody.

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    June 15, 2011 10:07 a.m.

Nil

"Of corse that was back when I was maliciously brain washed by my parents into cheering for the Y."

You should have followed your parents sound advice instead of straying of course.

"I still don't understand the logic of Cougar fans thinking That Utah BB will not Bounce back."

Utah basketball has been in steady decline since its 1998 high-water mark and the program became a train wreck when Majerus left. As we're taught in the business world, past performance is no guarantee of future success.

Some programs whither and die. Some programs blossom and flourish. That's life.

There's no guarantee that Utah will ever be anything more than a middle of the PAC team. See Utah football post 1964. It could be another 30 years before Utah basketball re-emerges as a legitimate conference contender.

• Montana Mormon Miles City, MT
    June 15, 2011 10:04 a.m.

I don't say this to disparage the basketball skills of Danny Ainge or Jimmer Fredette, but Jeff Chatman was one of the most exciting BYU players I have ever watched. I hope Jordan chooses BYU!!!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 15, 2011 9:44 a.m.

@KSDBN

There is another Toolson coming along, as well as another Haws, another Emery and even though he isn't a former Cougar Thurl Bailey has a son coming up that lives here in Highland who is already very tall and athletic. I believe there are some Roberts kids to.

• skitter Orem, UT
    June 15, 2011 9:41 a.m.

Hey Nil I still don't understand the logic of ute fans. How come if I mention BYU's past, such as 84, I am living in the past and it is all about now. Yet you bring up our 1-25 past from 12 years ago. And it is ok with you to mention being the 12th winningest program in history, which is great by the way. But let me mention one other thing. The utes have never hit rock bottom like the cougars have. Did you watch any basketball at all this year? You were rock bottom. When BYU went 1-25 we lost our best player weeks before the season started. Remember Byron Ruffner, he was slated as a first rounder til his legal troubles. The team still would have stunk that year, don't get me wrong. But what was the utes excuse this year? You had none you just plain stunk. Both teams were awful and I think its safe to say neither fan base wants to look back on these seasons.

• IndianaCoug Bloomington, IN
    June 15, 2011 8:38 a.m.

Naval vet, my best friend started at the Y with 81 credits (some concurrent enrollment but mostly from AP courses). It came back to bite him when he lost his scholarship senior year due to excessive credits, but I think he's forgiven the university. The Y was good prep for grad school and he's now enjoying life as a medical doctor.

• FYI Taylorsville, UT
    June 14, 2011 11:39 p.m.

Yes Naval Vet it is possible. Several high school graduates also graduate with their Associates degree from local two year colleges by taking concurrent enrollment classes. My daughter graduated from high school in 2009 and several of her friends had completed their AA and just graduated with their Bachelor degrees.

• One Nil to the Arsenal! Gilbert, AZ
    June 14, 2011 11:07 p.m.

I remember watching this kids Dad at the Y when I was a kid. Of corse that was back when I was maliciously brain washed by my parents into cheering for the Y. Good thing for free agency right. I didn't want to be one of those self righteous kids everybody hated at school, so I switched colors as a young teen. Doesn't look like there is a lot of interest in this kid. He plays in Portland and the Ducks & Beavers are passing on him. I wouldn't get to excited about him. He'll go to BYU b/c thats what legacies do. They follow their parents foot steps. Good for him. He'll get a good education, but will have alot of expectations to live up to.

I still don't understand the logic of Cougar fans thinking That Utah BB will not Bounce back. There the 12th winningest (sp?) program in the NCAA. We never hit rock bottom like our brethren down south. 1-25 is Rock Bottom guys , let's face it. Utah will rebuild..... Better conference, more $$, more appeal ( and less rules). Good luck to Chapman though. His Dad was great!

• KSDBN Murray, UT
    June 14, 2011 11:07 p.m.

There seem to be a lot of former cougars who have good basketball playing sons, i.e., Haws, Chatman, etc...does anyone out there know if there are any more out there coming up?

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    June 14, 2011 10:36 p.m.

"However, what they lack is venue and exposure on a National level in a conference that is well respected."

LOL...don't stop your on a roll...LOL

• cougarNV Las Vegas, NV
    June 14, 2011 9:31 p.m.

Oh man, ... I haven't enjoyed comments this much for a while. Josephmother & Hondo you cracked me up like I needed.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    June 14, 2011 8:35 p.m.

He'll pick Americas team. Welcome to Provo.

• football43 Morgan, UT
    June 14, 2011 8:27 p.m.

Naval Vet,

My daughter started out at Utah State as a Junior. Many, many others have gone the same route. Lots of work, but worth it.

• Frozen Chosen Savage, MN
    June 14, 2011 7:30 p.m.

I've actually got a little inside dish on Jordan. He turns 19 next spring and will go on his mission right after HS. When he returns in 2014 he will then enroll and play for four straight years (unless he goes early into the NBA) at...wait for it...BYU.

Take it to the bank kiddies!

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    June 14, 2011 7:13 p.m.

Naval Vet,

Two years hard to do with AP classes. However, Running Start programs could possibly allow a kid to graduate from High School and CC (with an AA) the same week-end.

My kid did. Nice way to lock down two years of "free" college.

• G-Swenz Providence, UT
    June 14, 2011 7:11 p.m.

The first school to show him interest was Utah State, who came forward with his first offer.

Ive been up there. I was actually up there when they played BYU and they beat them, said Chatman. The atmosphere was great, and I love Coach Morrill. Utah State is a school that goes to the NCAA tournament every year, and they win. I also love the style of ball that they play.

USU 2012 recruits
    PG-Marcel Davis, 88 on ESPN (Same score as Collinsworth/Haws)-Committed
    SF-Quincy Bair, Just put up 36 on Brighton at USU Camp Tourney -Committed
    G-Riley Bradshaw, 25pts a game as So., 27pts. a game as Junior -Committed
    C-Casey Oliverson, 6'9" and growing, 14pts a game, 10rebs. -Committed
    F-Jordan Loveridge, Best H.S. player in Utah, friends to Davis/Bair -Undecided

3 Straight NCAA Tourney Births. Spectrum = Top 5 Loudest Places to play.
    Not a bad option... Not a bad option at all...

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    June 14, 2011 5:28 p.m.

bigsoccer -

Please give us your source where Coach Krystkowiak "stated he doesn't know if he wants to tap in (sic) that culture"

Quote and source please. My Utah basketball fanhood hangs in the balance.

• bigsoccer Syracuse, UT
    June 14, 2011 4:41 p.m.

KamUte | 4:22 p.m. June 14, 2011
    South Jordan, UT
    Utah won't be supportive of a mission, Coach whatever his name is has stated he doesn't know if he wants to tap in the that culture, he has already ran away a ton of instate recruits, so good luck.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    June 14, 2011 4:36 p.m.

Sounds like a bright kid, but I'm wondering if what I read was a typo. Will he really have 2 "years" of college behind him when he graduates high school? Or should that have read 2 "semesters"?

I've known some really bright kids to have gone on to college having already completed their first year [2 "semesters"], but never had I met one who started their collegiate tenure as already a Junior.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    June 14, 2011 4:22 p.m.

BYU should have the track on this guy. 6'4" LDS point guards are hard to find. I do remember Chatman playing for BYU. He was lanky and had a strange turnaround jump shot that was very effective. I know nothing of his son so I won't comment but if Stanford is on the line, you answer the call. If you want to play right away, Utah or Portland would be great choices. Utah will be supportive of a mission as well.

• ExecutorIoh West Jordan, UT
    June 14, 2011 3:50 p.m.

@bigutefan:
    ESPN might be a cable channel, but BYUtv isn't. All BYU games will be aired nation-wide. The great Pac-12 network that is going to pickup half of all the Pac-12 games doesn't exist.

• Bottom Line Draper, UT
    June 14, 2011 3:50 p.m.

It boils down to these 5 things

Exposure - BYU (We can all agree that BYU will be much more visible than any PAC 10 program. I probably saw Gonzaga play 10x last year and Arizona 2x)

Winning - BYU (Current players, coaching staff)

Access to NCAA seeding - Utah (Note access must be earned, based on recent history this is a gamble)

Stability - BYU (The turnover at Utah should give anybody pause)

Ability to Play - Utah (If you can get dressed you have a chance to start)

• zeba Brigham City, UT
    June 14, 2011 2:08 p.m.

His dad's turn around jumper when he played for bYu was great. I'd love to see Jordan play for the Utes if he is offered, and he'd be able to return to the NW playing against PAC 12 schools. As far as Stanford, my guess is the Utah schools offer more tolerance to the mission dilemma.

• Granny Saint George, UT
    June 14, 2011 1:49 p.m.

@Duckhunter | 12:43 p.m. June 14, 2011

Let's just stay classy, please. BYU has had rebuilding years in sports just as the U is having now. Good luck to this Chatman kid wherever he goes.

Regarding school colors: It was inappropriate for the Y to begin using navy blue a few decades, as it was USU's color. Yes, no one has an exclusive "right" to use one color or another. It just seems inappropriate to me.

• Cougars - Wise Older Brothers Anaheim, CA
    June 14, 2011 1:44 p.m.

"Many a PAC-12 team? Sure, there are some that have struggled such as ASU, WSU, OSU,..." AND Utah!

You should have stopped right there and put that train wreck on the hill at the top of your list.

The Utes have had a losing record in the MWC for the last six years, are only one game over .500 overall for the last six years, and have lost 9 of their last 10 games to BYU including a 47-point humiliation the last time BYU visited the HC.

It's interesting the line of demarcation Utah fans draw on the timeline:

Pre-2004, college football history doesn't exist.
    Post-2004, college basketball history doesn't exist.

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    June 14, 2011 1:31 p.m.

If this were me, it would be Stanford-1, Harvard-2, everyone else a distant, distant third. Sometimes those things are hard to convince your kids of though.

• Idaho Coug Meridian, Idaho
    June 14, 2011 1:29 p.m.

I love BYU but there is also a lot of appeal for a top LDS athlete to go to another school and really stand out. Manti Teo has done a great job of that at ND in football. A few LDS kids have done very well playing basketball at Stanford.

I loved watching Jeff Chatman play. He had a great turnaround jumper and kept the ball very high. I doubt he has ever had one of his turnaround jumpers blocked. I am not sure if he played overseas but I thought he was one of those BYU players that could have made a nice career overseas.

6'4" is a nice size for a PG.

• DeepBlue Anaheim, CA
    June 14, 2011 1:28 p.m.

hondo

"Chatman, himself, cites that as a reason he may join the Utes."

Chatman also cites this as a reason he might join the Cougars!

"Everyone wants to play on ESPN, and theyll be playing great programs like St. Marys and Gonzaga, so I really like that."

Did you read the article, brah?

• giantfan Farmington, UT
    June 14, 2011 1:26 p.m.

Hondo,

Yes, I read the article. He cited it as 'a' reason. Just don't hold your breath that it's a good reason. Go ahead, Utah, and play that Pac-12 card since it's the only one you've got!

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    June 14, 2011 1:23 p.m.

hondo

"UCLA, Arizona, Utah (in order of prestige) are all more successful, historically, than Gonzaga."

Living in the past.

Gonzaga has dominated Utah in prestige for at least a decade. Utah's basketball program has been in steady decline since 1998 and disintegrated completely after Majerus left. Since 2005, Utah has had four out of six losing seasons, and is only one game over .500.

• MUSSing with U Baltimore, MD
    June 14, 2011 1:15 p.m.

bigutefan

"Just a reminder, ESPN is the greatest sports channel, that is a given. But.....it is a cable channel, not everyone gets it. FOX is available to EVERYONE!"

lol at your spin; EVERYONE who's ANYONE plays on ESPN -- that's why they call it the "World Wide Leader".

EVERY serious sports fan gets ESPN!

• Old Gregg Alpine, UT
    June 14, 2011 1:10 p.m.

SO now Hondo wants to talk about past history and storied programs, but when it comes to BYU and their past history and storied program it "quit living in the past, only the last decade matters." Just saying.

• Hondo Alpine, UT
    June 14, 2011 1:06 p.m.

JosephMother,

Chatman, himself, cites that as a reason he may join the Utes. Did you read the article, brah?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 14, 2011 12:59 p.m.

As far as Jordan Chatman is concerned, 6'4" tall and 190#'s as a high school jr. is great size for a PG. I like bigger pg's. Let's hope he does decide to attend BYU.

• JosephMother Farmington, UT
    June 14, 2011 12:58 p.m.

Hondo,

I'm sure that if UCLA or Arizona came begging, he'd give it serious thought. My point is just playing in the Pac-10 (or 12 or 10.2 of whatever) is not as attractive a selling point as you'd like us to believe. If it were, then please explain to us why Gonzaga does not suffer recruiting wise with the two big giant Pac-10 teams in their own state? The fact that Utah is going to the Pac-10 is just not a good enough reason, considering the shambles that program is in right now.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 14, 2011 12:43 p.m.

ute "fan" desperation is showing here and it is no surprise. The basketball program at utah is so bad, so terribly, awefully, horribly, pitifully, fantastically, disgustingly, laughably, bad that they are now trying to convince people that playing infron of 10,000 empty seats in the hc is better than playing in front of 5000 filled seats. LOL!

Keep on trying to convince him, or anyone for that matter, about utah's desirability. I'll keep LOL!

• bigsoccer Syracuse, UT
    June 14, 2011 12:42 p.m.

bigutefan | 12:01 p.m. June 14, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV

Its not Fox that is local, it is FSN, that too is on cable.

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    June 14, 2011 12:38 p.m.

Jordan would love the Y! He'll be on ESPN all the time across the nation, Rose has a team that is winning championships and making runs into the NCAA tourney! Plus the talent lining up now with the Y is going to keep BYU on the map for a long, long time. If you think ESPN had a love affair with Jimmer, it's just beginning.

Plus with academics, BYU is the only school in the top 25 and constantly is ranked high in the Sears Trophy (combo of athletics and academics).

Oh, forgot one thing, BYU cares deeply about it's students and their future, prima facia evidence, the HONOR CODE!

• G-Swenz Providence, UT
    June 14, 2011 12:35 p.m.

His grandpa was a Utah State Aggie, his mother a New Mexico St. Aggie. He saw the Spectrum atmosphere the last time USU beat BYU, and while BYU is BYU, the Aggies started 4 returned missionaries that year.

He'd be a great 2 alongside Marcel Davis and Quincy Bair.

Don't throw out the idea of Utah State just yet.

• Hondo Alpine, UT
    June 14, 2011 12:33 p.m.

JosephMother:

Many a PAC-12 team? Sure, there are some that have struggled such as ASU, WSU, OSU, but the PAC-12 has some of the most successful basketball programs in NCAA history.

The PAC-12 will always be a more prestigious conference to play in than the WCC.

• giantfan Farmington, UT
    June 14, 2011 12:26 p.m.

Re: bigutefan

How many college basketball and football games are broadcast on the flagship Fox channel? I understand that they are planning to now broadcast a lot more than they ever have but the Fox flagship is not a sports channel and you know that the majority of these Pac-12 sporting events will be broadcast on the more obscure Fox Regional Sports channels. How many times do you think the Utes will be on Fox Channel 13 next year in either football or basketball? Even once? Nice spin but nobodies buying it. Everyone wants to be on ESPN.

• JosephMother Farmington, UT
    June 14, 2011 12:09 p.m.

Re: bgl

Your argument hits the skids when you consider that many a Pac-10 team would be quite envious of Gonzaga's success, who plays their home games in a 6000 seat arena. In fact, two Pac-10 teams that reside in the same state consistently lose prized recruits that apparently could care less about "major college venues" and "big cities".

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    June 14, 2011 12:08 p.m.

He said he wants playing time right away. Sounds like Utah is the place for him.

• JustintimeY Boise, Id
    June 14, 2011 12:06 p.m.

Re Maxie, "they also sing pop corn popping at time-outs, that's REALLY lucrative and exciting"

What was exciting was watching Jimmer drop 47 points on your team last year and then having BYU fans sing pop corn poping at the mighty Huntsman center at half time :)

• bigutefan Las Vegas, NV
    June 14, 2011 12:01 p.m.

Just a reminder, ESPN is the greatest sports channel, that is a given. But.....it is a cable channel, not everyone gets it. FOX is available to EVERYONE! That is more exposure, end of story. So why on earth would he choose to play in the Independent 4.1, oops I mean WCC, over a BCS conference?

• JosephMother Farmington, UT
    June 14, 2011 11:51 a.m.

Hondo,

Ahh, poor Aggie fans. We steal your colors and your recruits!

• bigsoccer Syracuse, UT
    June 14, 2011 11:50 a.m.

The colors aren't even the same colors, apparently USU people care color blind.

• bgl Santa Monica, CA
    June 14, 2011 11:46 a.m.

Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with playing in high school sized gyms. But that should be during the early part of the season or at Alaska or Hawaii Christmas Tourneys. The poor kid has played AAU ball and he's already played in plenty of these places. During the nuts and bolts time of a big season, you don't want to be stepping out on a court where they were just hosting an after school program an hour before and pulling out the bleachers for your big WCC contest. Major college players want major college venues and big cities and savvy fans. The Conference of Champeeeeeeons would offer this, I might suggest.

• UgottaloveMaxie SLC, UT
    June 14, 2011 11:46 a.m.

@TJ - trust me, it won't be "standing room only" without Jimmer there. They will still be good, but in the WCC which isn't saying much. Sure, Gonzaga is solid but no one else is. I'm just saying. don't talk up the marriott center. they also sing pop corn popping at time-outs, that's REALLY lucrative and exciting.

• Hondo Alpine, UT
    June 14, 2011 11:40 a.m.

"I loved watching Jeff play during my time at BYU. I hope we have the opportunity to see Jordan play in Cougar Blue also."

It's not Cougar blue; BYU stole Aggie blue from USU several years ago.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    June 14, 2011 11:29 a.m.

• showmeyatd's Pleasant View, Utah
    June 14, 2011 11:22 a.m.

Everyone that reads this comment needs to go and look at Gonzaga's schedule last year. They play a ton of invitationals that put them against the premier teams in the country. For example last year they played, San Diego St., Kansas St., Marquette, Illinois, Washington St., Notre Dame, Baylor, Xavier, Oklahoma St., Wake Forest, Memphis, St. Mary's (2 times regular season) Go and put this season against BYU's season last year. Not many of those games were played in High School gyms lol. The WCC is far different than the mountain west and ya conference play is worse but thats only a fraction of the season. Gonzaga plays for a national ranking, not for the leagues auto bid.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    June 14, 2011 11:15 a.m.

How is Utah in the mix if Stanford is? That one doesn't make sense.

If he wants schooling and Harvard is there and if he thinks there's not much shot at the NBA then go to Harvard, or Stanford for that matter.

If he wants good upside to be on a respected and visible team then BYU makes a lot of sense. BYU certainly will be top 3 in WCC for a long time, I don't think Utah or Stanford really has the ability to show that kind of future.

For ease of working with a Mission scenario certainly choose BYU.

Lots to think about, but it would seem that his choices would be Harvard, Stanford, BYU. But then we're all speaking from a very limited place...

• Jonas Denver, Colorado
    June 14, 2011 11:11 a.m.

I heard that Jordan really likes what is going on up on the hill, but Utah has no shot at Jordan. None. Utah is losing scholarship players to WALK ON at BYU right now.

...Can't wait to see you in Cougar blue, Jordan.

• JosephMother Farmington, UT
    June 14, 2011 11:05 a.m.

He could play at BYU where the majority of games will be played at the 22,000+ Marriott Center or he could go to Utah where on a good night he can play in front of 5000 at the HC. I love how people seem to be harping on the small gym aspect of most WCC schools. They only play 8 road WCC games all year. Besides, would you rather play in a standing-room only gym of 5000 screaming fans 8 times out of the 30+ game schedule or in a less than half full gym of 5000 apathetic fans 15+ out of a 30+ game schedule? Hmmm...that's a tough call.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    June 14, 2011 10:42 a.m.

Good luck no matter where you decide to play Jordan. I am very happy to hear that he has definite plans for a mission. It has a much more profound effect on ones life than college. A mission will prepare you for the challenges of college and will help you decide which university will be the best fit for you.

And before the anti-BYU crowd tries to think up something clever; I am not insinuating that all missionaries will be guided to or should all choose BYU while on their missions. Team-mates at other schools are generally very respectful of LDS athletes and even look out for them. A single LDS athlete can be a positive influence on many team-mates.

• IDC Boise, ID
    June 14, 2011 10:38 a.m.

Jeff Chatman was one of my favorite players. I remember watching him play with his sweet turn around jumpers.

• bigsoccer Syracuse, UT
    June 14, 2011 10:38 a.m.

Yeah no national exposure for BYU, they only just signed a 8 year deal with ESPN for basketball, I wouldn't go near Utah's program with a 10 foot pole, they are stinkin it up, and that is what the pac 10.2 will be too.

• UgottaloveMaxie SLC, UT
    June 14, 2011 10:35 a.m.

If he's any good, Utah will give him an offer. The film they have on him is inconclusive so they want to see him play in person more. However, that's not to say that he'll want to go to the U, esp. with his Dad having gone to the Y and the strong loyalty and legacy BYU has and the pull for family and relatives and fans to go there if offered. But playing in High School sized gyms, at best, in the WCC is less than attractive. All 3 Utah schools have strong LDS presence but it's embedded in every aspect of the experience at BYU, which he may want. I don't know. Playing in the Pac-12 would be most attractive, esp. with a new coach. Even middle of the pack (if they can find a way to accomplish that - but reasonable expectation since the conference has plenty of bottom feeders each year) may be attractive enough. Who knows. But that's if Utah offers, which they might not.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    June 14, 2011 10:28 a.m.

If you are interested in education, by all means go to Harvard or Stanford. Stanford may even punch your ticket to the NBA. If you narrow it down to USU, BYU or Utah, well I would recommend that you chose Utah over the aforementioned. Why? BYU and USU have great coaches and good teams. However, what they lack is venue and exposure on a National level in a conference that is well respected. Sure the Pac-12 has had its lean years, but that is primarily because so many underclassmen enter the NBA early versus other conferences. Utah will be back and you may have the opportunity to say that I was at the nucleus of this program rebuilding and turning into the dominant program it once was. All in all, best of luck in your choice, you really can't go wrong unless you decide to play for SLCC ;)