Sports

Red roundup: Chris Hill recognized among top ADs in the nation

Comments

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    June 15, 2011 9:12 a.m.

Clearly the BYU Faithful aren't impressed with the job that Chris Hill has done as Athletic Director at Utah. But an unbiased, knowledgeable group group, The National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA), certainly is.

Thank you, Dr. Hill, for your hard work!

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    June 15, 2011 7:23 a.m.

Wow! So much bitterness!!!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    June 15, 2011 12:34 a.m.

MichiganCoug: whatever helps you sleep at night. Between you and Blukitty, you two sure spend a LOT of time on Utah stories. Not much going on on the whY boards? Didn't think so. Hilarious!!

Go Utes! Go Crimson!

Talk about irrelevance - google WCC and see what comes up first: WCC (WESCO INTL INC), Westchester Community College, Washtenaw Community College! Awesome!

Have fun with the Gaels and the Pilots!

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    June 14, 2011 11:22 p.m.

"The future is Crimson - get Used to it!"

That's the beauty of independence, I can choose my color, my team and I choose BYU blue. Nothing to get use to here.

Go Cougars!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 14, 2011 10:19 p.m.

@kamute

So I was in San Francisco last summer and went to the sports apparel store on Pier 49. In it they had a section of fangear that included all of the teams in the pac10 including Colorado but for some reason there wasn't any utah gear in it at all. They also had an entire section that was nothing but BYU gear.

I was perplexed by this as utah is of course a new pac10 member and BYU is a lowly independent. So I asked them about it and they told me that no one, not one person ever, had requested university of utah gear. BYU on the otherhand is their biggest seller outside of Cal and Stanford.

Hmmmmmmm......that just doesn't sound like what ute fans seem to believe about who is relevent and who is not.

• showmeyatd's Pleasant View, Utah
    June 14, 2011 10:13 p.m.

Vince Biegel is back in play for BYU. hahahahahahahah Life is sweet. It won't be long until Chase Hansen follows suit.
    I'd be nervous if I were you. Your Lone Peak Basketball Recruit may not be the only Ute to wise up and go down south.

• MichiganCoog Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 14, 2011 8:39 p.m.

Indeed grating to be a Ute...The future is truely going to be Crimson. Crimson in the faces of Ute fans, as a result of embarrassing losses to teams like San Diego, Pepperdine, and Houston Baptist...the next in line will be Montana State on the gridiron. Yeah, exciting times are ahead LOL!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    June 14, 2011 6:38 p.m.

MichiganCoog: Too funnY. I will love September 17 when Hypes will continue to flounder and the Utes will make all kittens see why they are stuck with independence/irrelevance and with the WCC, whatever that is!

Have fun with your irrelevance and with the Dons and Toreros in their Jr. High School gyms!!

It is indeed GREAT to be a Ute!!

The future is Crimson - get Used to it!

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    June 14, 2011 6:07 p.m.

Chris did not do so great in basketball but he did bring us to the Pac 12. By the way, Pac 12 gear will be available on July 1 so I expect all Utes to be wearing the gear. I will be wearing it everywhere I go.

I wonder if we can find Independent golf shirts? I'm certain we'll see the "We stand alone" shirts shortly after the Pac 12 gear comes out.

• nottyou Riverton, UT
    June 14, 2011 6:02 p.m.

Hedgie said, "Fail. Utah beat out AZ. St. He choose Utah (sight unseen) because of his strong belief in coach Chow. I wonder if Domain draws even a tenth of the admiration Chow demands?"

Better to have one unknown than a proven eventual failure.

• nottyou Riverton, UT
    June 14, 2011 5:58 p.m.

Doesn't J.J. O'Brien know that the Utes will be in the PAC10.2? It's the conference of champions and trumps all other conferences.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    June 14, 2011 3:34 p.m.

"Yes. Delshawn went to the U to play so he could play in the pac12....
    And because no other pac12 team was even the faintest bit interested. But good get. Im sure he'll fit right in."

Bitterman,

• MichiganCoog Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 14, 2011 3:29 p.m.

VegasUte,

Looking forward to Sept. 17th...when your overrated Utes come to Provo, to do their best impression of your basketball team...don't need to say much more than that...other than your Utesies will be crying big ute tears as they start their maiden PAC10.2 campaign 0-3 once they leave Provo...such a shame, and on National primetime TV too...GO COUGS!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    June 14, 2011 2:28 p.m.

WOW! I knew this would bring out the kittens in full force and I was right!!

Great to be a Ute!!

Nice job Hill! You deserve all the accolades you get!

• Ravenal Somewhere in, Utah
    June 14, 2011 2:16 p.m.

You would think being a "top" athletic director means you have a successful all around athletic program. Outside of football and gymnastics, there isn't much else to brag about.

Oh well, congrats anyway.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    June 14, 2011 1:34 p.m.

Here are the four winners for the FBS Football category:

Kathy Beauregard, Western Michigan University
    Bill Bradshaw, Temple University
    Chris Hill, University of Utah
    Eric Hyman, University of South Carolina

What does this mean? Is this like what the Nobel Peace Prize has turned into?

• Bronco Loco Henderson, NV
    June 14, 2011 1:21 p.m.

Top AD's? Really? I don't think sinking your basketball program into nothingness qualifies one to be top AD. I guess getting Utah into the PAC-12 and now having an elitist attitude about it makes everything better.

• Bitterman west jordan, ut
    June 14, 2011 1:07 p.m.

Yes. Delshawn went to the U to play so he could play in the pac12....

• WHAT NOW? Saint George, UT
    June 14, 2011 12:31 p.m.

Hill's selections, for Head Basketball Coach, at The University of Utah, have brought a once proud basketball program to its knees.

"...among the top AD's in the nation...".

Is he just competing with the AD at Ohio State?

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    June 14, 2011 11:28 a.m.

I can't believe that Tom Holmoe didn't win the Athletic Director of the Year. After all, he got us into the Independant League.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    June 14, 2011 10:51 a.m.

Quote from Delshawn:

"My relationship with the coaches, the opportunity to play for Norm Chow and the fact that Utah is in the Pac-12 were the big reasons for my decision"

One can also site Wilson, Hansen having the same reasons.