Utah

Mitt Romney makes 2nd presidential bid official

Comments

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    June 3, 2011 8:19 p.m.

@ B | 7:28 a.m. June 3, 2011

"And now we are back up to 9.1% unemployment. Bye bye Obama. Romney is the guy."

The guy? Sounds like a Paul Reiser stand up bit.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    June 3, 2011 8:17 p.m.

re: Cats | 11:11 a.m. June 2, 2011

"Go Mitt Go! You're the most qualified and experienced guy out there. We need a great turn around artist like you."

Would he be doing 360's w/ the statusq quo?

• Wally West SLC, UT
    June 3, 2011 8:12 p.m.

re: Sutton | 11:25 a.m. June 2, 2011

I disagree. Mitt was a Venture Capitalist and will probably continue to let Wall St continue to fleece the masses and then bail them out when they get to greedy.

Ron Paul, on the other hand, would love to end the Fed. Care to rethink your assessment?

I do agree about your opinion about MB & SP.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    June 3, 2011 9:01 a.m.

Re:J-TX
    Your assertions are incorrect regarding the TX flag and the "legality" of TX being able to secede due to treaty issues. It took me 2 minutes or less to debunk.

Re: Obama's purported "apologies":
    Principle 3: Talk about your own mistakes before criticizing the other person.
    Any fool can try to defend his or her mistakesand most fools dobut it raises one above the herd and gives one a feeling of nobility and exultation to admit one's mistakes."
    Dale Carnegie "How to Win Friends and Influence People"

• J-TX Allen, TX
    June 3, 2011 8:29 a.m.

@ B;

9.1% is only the official unemployment rate. But as the definition has been doctored since Reagan / Bush, and again with Obama, the actual rate is closer to 17%.

You have to include the "functionally unemployed", the "underemployed" and the "disenfranchised", which are no longer a part of the "official" number.

Official or not, one in 6 available workers are not working. And without their taxes, how can we pay for stimulus and healthcare for all?

• Weber State Graduate Clearfield, UT
    June 3, 2011 7:54 a.m.

Sutton, those are pretty funny, but to be fair

on the democrat side we have had...

Bill Clinton: who was more interested in monkey business.

Al Gore: who is nothing but show business.

Joe Biden: who is all funny business

Barack Obama: who believes your business is his business

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    June 3, 2011 7:46 a.m.

I have thought long and hard on this and I believe Mitt would be a great president. Economically we need him now. I am still open to other candidates though and have not made up my mind yet.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    June 3, 2011 7:38 a.m.

@ cjb | 6:24 a.m. June 3, 2011

Look up the other definitions of apologist. A political apologist makes excuses for his organization while undermining it, as has done B.O.

• B Logan, UT
    June 3, 2011 7:28 a.m.

And now we are back up to 9.1% unemployment. Bye bye Obama. Romney is the guy.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    June 3, 2011 7:27 a.m.

It will be interesting to watch Romney get whacked over the head constantly by the quitter Palin. She is already starting her routine on him with the Mass. health care issue. It is only going to get worse for Mitt.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    June 3, 2011 7:26 a.m.

@ Mike in Texas | 3:04 p.m. June 2, 2011 - My neighbor!

While I do not like Perry, his "cesession" comments are not treasonous. You might want to take a look at your history. Texas joined the Union via treaty, not acquisition. As such, there are certain unique rights retained:

1) Texas has the right to separate itself from the Union under that treaty. (Probably would never happen, but it would be legal.)

2) Texas' is the only state flag allowed to fly at the same level as the USA flag.

So, while I disagree with Aggielove on Perry's fitness for POTUS, I disagree with you about his comments being treasonous.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    June 3, 2011 7:16 a.m.

@ aljmac | 11:21 a.m. June 2, 2011

Yes, the bad economy and tha wars pre-date Obama. While I think he has done OK on the terror front, his policies took a bad economy and made it exponentially worse.

@ Aggielove | 12:45 p.m. June 2, 2011

If you want a laisez-faire President, then by all means get behind Perry. He will take more vacation days than Obama has, and likely right during a crisis. Plus, he has a long history of not listening to citizens and doind whatever he wants, so he seems like presidential material on that count....

• Springvillepoet Springville, UT
    June 3, 2011 7:03 a.m.

When Mitt Romney announced, all he could really do was criticize President Obama. Romney basically said he was the guy to fix all of the problems caused by President Obama, but was quite vague, avoiding any real details.

The GOP needs to weigh its options carefully, because running the "Anyone but Obama" campaign is not a winning strategy, and that's what you have with Romney. He doesn't have his own plan (or one he's really willing to share) except for "I'm the guy who will fix it." That in itself is naive because the U.S. political system, even in the best of worlds is designed to move slowly.

Simply put, you cannot win an election by trying to get people to vote 'against' somebody. People have got to want the other person. That's why Reagan won in 1980---he got people to like him, and it's why Kerry lost in 2000---he could not.

I don't think Romney can get people to like him enough to overcome the incumbent momentum which President Obama has.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 3, 2011 6:47 a.m.

"Economists are bracing for a disappointing jobs report Friday."

News like this is only going to help Romney. People at the ballot box won't support Obama if he can't get our finances in order. Maybe higher taxes would do the trick.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    June 3, 2011 6:24 a.m.

Romney makes a big deal about President Obama apologising for the United States. I am not aware of any specific apology, but assuming he did, isn't that a good thing?

I've always been taught if you do something wrong, apologise for it. It makes peace with potential enemies, it makes up for wrongs and it is a show of honor and strenght .. not weakness.

I ask Romney why is an apology wrong? I also ask, to whom did he apologise and what did he say?

• R_Mark_B Murray, UT
    June 3, 2011 5:59 a.m.

The mormons lousy track record of separating church and state will make Romney an easy target....thank Zeus.

• JustGordon Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 3, 2011 4:34 a.m.

Mr. Flip Flop has joined the Presidential race. I am sure all of American is breathing a collective sigh of relief!

• BYU Blue Ferron, UT
    June 3, 2011 12:48 a.m.

No one is better qualified to turn this country around than Mitt Romney. With 25 years in the private sector dealing with real people and real situations, along with the executive experience as governor of Massachusetts Mitt is the Man for 2012!

• carambola MESA, AZ
    June 2, 2011 11:13 p.m.

I really hope he can get past the primaries and then choose the right running mate. He has my vote at this point, but I'll wait to see who he teams up with. All I know is I can't vote for Sarah Palin and Obama's got to go. Good luck, Mitt! You're in my prayers....

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    June 2, 2011 10:47 p.m.

Surprise ...surprise...yawn

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    June 2, 2011 10:05 p.m.

Mitt is going to have a very difficult time making it past the primaries. Just wait until the debates and he has to defend his healthcare plan. What is his plan for creating jobs? What is his position on extending the Bush tax cuts? What is his plan for Medicare/Medicaid? Does he favor oil subsidies?

So who is Romney's biggest threat?

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    June 2, 2011 9:31 p.m.

He has my vote.

• Gentile brookings, SD
    June 2, 2011 9:29 p.m.

Mitt will provide us with sanity, calmness, and loss. What a shame. He shows little fire in the belly. I wouldn't follow him to a good fishing hole, even if he brought the worms.

• B Logan, UT
    June 2, 2011 9:24 p.m.

1992: We elect a governor from a small southern state who has serious infidelity issues and moral flaws.

2000: We elect a governor from a big southern state who is a recovering alcoholic and is an owner of a baseball team.

2008: We elect an unknown first-term Jr. Senator with no experience running anything and who attended a church for 20 years where the minister is horrifyingly un-American.

2011: We are wringing our hands about a candidate who has impeccable morals, has an MBA from Harvard, has successfully saved and run a business, saved the train wreck that was the Salt Lake Olympics, and also has experience in the public sector.

We are so concerned that either he is too Mormon, not Mormon enough, too liberal, too conservative, or that he just doesn't have charisma. Get a grip. We had huge unemployment and the nation is about to have it's credit rating down graded. Who do you want in the oval office for the next four years?

• standfortruth MARAMEC, OK
    June 2, 2011 8:38 p.m.

I was watching Romney with Hannity tonight and listened to most of his announcement earlier.

Romney is NOT an entertainer (like Huckabee) or a cheerleader (like Palin)or an orator (well, reading from a teleprompter even in a 6th grade class is a lame "orator")............but that is NOT what we NEED.

We NEED someone that 1)LOVES and is NOT apologetic for the US. 2)Has had a real job OUTSIDE of the government or the academia world and therefore, can relate to REAL people. 3)Has a CLUE on how to CREATE/encourage jobs (but I don't think BHO's problem is that so much....as that he/they are more interested in more on the gov't dole and overwhelming the system). 4) Has a strong record of ECONOMIC successes, both private, gov't. and public (Olympics).

He will be "boring" perhaps..........but I am gaining more and more trust in his ability to help the country we love!

• Wastintime Los Angeles, CA
    June 2, 2011 7:09 p.m.

Romney hasn't changed his mind on MA healthcare--which includes state-funded abortion services. Apparently Utahn Republicans are willing to set that issue aside when it comes to Romney, despite it being a litmus test for everybody else.

Other than that, he's flipped on everything.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    June 2, 2011 7:02 p.m.

Finally.

No more announcements.

The DAY had arrived...

Willard Mitchell Romney "announced" he is a candidate...

His big day was strangely "preempted" by the Sarah and Rudy shows.

It won't be the last time MITT gets "thrown under the Republican bus".

• Brother Chuck Schroeder A Tropical Paradise USA, FL
    June 2, 2011 6:17 p.m.

The ones in Utah that love to hate him, the latest video from the DNC hits RINO back-burner icon Mitt Romney where it hurts, OUCH, in the flip-flops, with DN's push on Illegal Immigration in Utah. The Donald has spoken out about his pizza and politics summit with Sarah Palin. She wants him to run for president. Trump also had some tough talk for the GOP leadership, saying they seem to be setting themselves up to lose the next election and get Obama (that can be beat) get re-elected. I am looking at the Republicans and I am seeing things, they have a death wish, Trump said. Whether it's the Ryan Plan which is a death wish, why does he have to come out with a plan?. He is a nice guy and all that stuff but that's irrelevant. The fact is whether you agree with the plan or not, his timing was horrendous. You don't come out with a plan, have all your friends vote on it and now half of those guys are going to lose their elections. He's a bad chess player and killed the GOP. My views.

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    June 2, 2011 6:00 p.m.

I'm beginning to get a picture of Utah that makes me wish my grandchildren will get out of that state. I see the responses and recommendations. I note that Senator Bennett was rejected as being too liberal. I see that the worst curse word in Utah is Harry Reid. Mitt Romney will probably not win in Utah. Two words jump out at me-Pharisees and Sadducees.

• reading in idaho Menan, ID
    June 2, 2011 5:50 p.m.

I wish all those who continue to call Romney a flip flopper would study the issues and see that all candidates change their minds. I would really prefer a candidate that changes his mind when he sees he is wrong. Remember Ronald Regan was once a democrat. Did he ever change his mind?

As for running articles about Romney or Huntsman in the Deseret News, can't think of an area that would be more interested. I'll bet the same attention is given to Pawlenty, or others on their home turf. Thanks for the articles Deseret News.

• DesertRat Gilbert, AZ
    June 2, 2011 4:46 p.m.

Mitt understands basic economics. Barak clearly doesn't. Nothing personal or vindicative towards the president, but he and his progressive counterparts in Congress have a false sense of what government can and should do.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 2, 2011 4:18 p.m.

"It is high time to have a person to run for the white who really "

Heh, I believe that should be saying White House. Though who am I to talk, just I think two days ago I typed Western European healthcare injures everyone while I meant to type insures.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    June 2, 2011 4:17 p.m.

Want a change for the better for our economy? Elect a man who has proven himself in the private sector by turning failed businesses to show a profit, Mitt Romney! Even if this were the single best reason for him to be president, it is enough for me. This country is going bankrupt, and Obamacare will speed the process and completely ruin the greatest medical treatment in the world, the USA.

I personally like the way he is calling out and challenging Obama! Someone needs to be bold, hold him accountable, and tell it like it is! We've got huge problems in this country and around the world. We need a strong, prepared leader. Enough of lavish vacations and daily campaigning of the president.

Mitt Romney for president....I think he'll be great!

• Aggielove Junction city, Oregon
    June 2, 2011 3:59 p.m.

mike in texas. tell us what type of comments perry states that would be called treason? i am not doubting you, its a strong statement though.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    June 2, 2011 3:45 p.m.

"I believe this is the 3rd or 4th story about Romney from the DSNews, today.

Don't be so obvious DSNews."

Pagan:

This is nothing as compared to the liberal left wing media who is completely in the tank for Obama and any other liberal.

I guess you take what you can get - right?

• Dadof5sons Montesano, WA
    June 2, 2011 3:29 p.m.

It is high time to have a person to run for the white who really had to make a pay roll, run large companies, and create jobs in the private sector. No other GOP president candidate can say that. Except Herman Cain!

• Mike in Texas Allen, TX
    June 2, 2011 3:04 p.m.

Aggielove, You obviously don't live in Texas or you would not be interest Perry the secessionist. (his comments border on treason) Also, anyone who lives in Texas knows the the Governer in this state is not much more than a ribbon cutter.

• Sokol Las Vegas, NM
    June 2, 2011 2:35 p.m.

I hope the Republicans can do alot better than Bush, Dole, McCain, or Romney...

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    June 2, 2011 2:19 p.m.

Fasten your seat-belts folks. This is going to get ugly - and that's just from Republicans. What Romney has never figured out is that friends come and go, but enemies accumulate. He's got a lot of them from the last time he ran. I just hope this time around that my LDS friends don't take it personally. This isn't about Religion, its about Romney and how he campaigns.

• KJB1 Eugene, OR
    June 2, 2011 2:10 p.m.

Meanwhile, today's Gallup poll has President Obama with a 53% approval rating and a disapproval rating down to 39%.

Good luck with all that, Mitt. At least you've got Utah's vote...

• Utes21 Salt Lake City, ut
    June 2, 2011 1:46 p.m.

I hope Mitt can step up and do well in this race. I think he has all the right tools to be president, Obama is nice guy but has not done anything to get America back to where it should be. I disliked Bush also for starting this whole mess. I will do research this coming election year, this country needs help.

• Sokol Las Vegas, NM
    June 2, 2011 1:40 p.m.

Is he just a younger, better looking, appeasing John McCain? He is not tough, while Donald Trump, is a conceited self promoter, he still had the right stratedgy of ferociously going after the Great Condescendor, Obama....I feel like Romney, like Romneycare, does and signs whatever it takes for him to win.
    We need a man or woman with stronger principles and a tougher fortitude.

• Phill Provo, UT
    June 2, 2011 1:23 p.m.

DSN articles will be biased tours the LDS personalities, although I don't know where are the Harry Reid ones :-/ .. but anyhow. Obama has been the extension of the Bush dynasty, and even though Mitt Romney it's quite the Flip Flopper, I'd vote for him, because he might just flip flop to other policies that I supported him for back in the day. That might just happen. At the same time, Mitt Romney it's a lot more liberal than the Democratic Party in Utah, yet he still seems to get everyones attention there... an observation that tells how people would follow one of their own even it means been less conservative or more.

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    June 2, 2011 1:16 p.m.

Maybe third time will be a charm. Don't see a win this time around.

• Zola South Oakland, CA
    June 2, 2011 12:46 p.m.

I don't know who puts me to sleep faster him or Tim Pawlenty? Jeez they are so boring I would rather watch fake press for Donald and Sarah Trump.. Now that is a strong marriage!

• Aggielove Junction city, Oregon
    June 2, 2011 12:45 p.m.

I am looking to see Rick Perry get into the ring.

• Kami Bountiful, Utah
    June 2, 2011 12:35 p.m.

With all of these articles focusing on Mitt Romney, does this mean the church is endorsing him cause it is kinda looking that way to me.

• Kouger Lehi, UT
    June 2, 2011 12:31 p.m.

Romney is the one! He's the only best qualified candidate to be President. Let's get America back to her glory and prosperous days! Go Romney!

• GoodGuyGary Houston, TX
    June 2, 2011 12:09 p.m.

Mitt is the only person that can save this country now. God bless.

• Brother Chuck Schroeder A Tropical Paradise USA, FL
    June 2, 2011 12:01 p.m.

Ohhhh Nooooo it's none other then DN's icon, the Flip Flop Mitt Romney again. Romney wants to provide tax subsidies to individuals who buy insurance to give them parity with those who get it from their jobs. This is a fine idea, but expensive. I have no idea how it would be paid for without the taxes or spending cuts that Romney seems to dislike. Then there's Romney's contortions on Obamacare health care. Where's the ad's on DN about this?. Mormon Mitt Romney Flip-Flop on Abortion. The Utah DNC Is Selling T-Shirts Accusing Mitt Romney of Being a Flip-Flopper. Mitt Romney presumably supports President Barack Obama's decision to try Khalid Sheikh Mohammed at Guantanamo Bay. Romney Flip Flops on Auto Bailouts. The ones that love him, the latest video from the DNC hits Republican frontrunner Mitt Romney where it hurts, OUCH, in the flip-flop. Immigration. In a November 2005 interview with the Boston Globe, he described an immigration overhaul advanced by John McCain as "reasonable." He now denounces it as an "amnesty plan." In December 2006, he signed an agreement authorizing state troopers to round up illegal immigrants?.

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    June 2, 2011 11:59 a.m.

Mr. Romney, I would like to see you win. I dont agree with all of your Republican ideas but you have shown that you can admit that you are not perfect yet and can make amends. But when you make this statement: The last two years have not been the best of times, I have to ask where in Hades have you been for the last 10 years? Dont gift wrap fodder to MSNBC and dont play just to FOX viewers. You are running for President of the United States not the leader of the Paul Ryan gang. By election time there could be a bounty on these people.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    June 2, 2011 11:48 a.m.

O.K. Good enough for me. I know who'll have my vote .... and it's NOT the "incumbent", nor will it be the "Utah guy" how struggles to define his religion; however, he does look good on a motor cycle!! Go, Mitt!!

• Sutton Cedar City, UT
    June 2, 2011 11:25 a.m.

ok, on the republican side we have...

Mitt Romney: who will run this country like it's a big business.

Ron Paul: who wants this country to be nothin' but big business.

Tim Pawlenty: who wants this country run by big business.

Michele Bachmann and Sarah Palin: who have no business running this country.

it would be funny if it weren't so sad...

• aljmac Salt Lake City, UT
    June 2, 2011 11:21 a.m.

@byronbca, I kind of get the same impression. I like Romney, but unfortunately, it feels like he's picking up where he left off last time: clueless how to get his message across.

Attacking Obama? Why? The bad economy pre-dates Obama. Same with the wars in the middle east, etc. Talk about how you're going to change the culture in US government, not how you're not "the other guy." People will see right through that, IMO.

He's qualified for the job, but he has a heck of a time passing the interview with the American people. I'm afraid this will be "deja vu all over again."

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    June 2, 2011 11:14 a.m.

no to o. let's hope anybody but o gets elected. I'm surprised to see pagan respond so quickly.... Some must have a notice anytime o or an opponent's name gets press.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    June 2, 2011 11:11 a.m.

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    June 2, 2011 11:10 a.m.

Please no. He can't shine Ron Paul's shoes.

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    June 2, 2011 11:02 a.m.

obama is the last person that should be president.

Run Romney Run!

• DeltaFoxtrot West Valley, UT
    June 2, 2011 10:54 a.m.

If Mitt can stick to the economy, jobs and reducing government spending he will do well.

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    June 2, 2011 10:46 a.m.

I really liked Romney as a presidential candidate before he became one 4 years ago, but now I'm not so sure. It seems like his platform is that he's not that 'evil' Obama.

I'm sick of his propagandistic attacks on the president, what I want to here is how he plans on changing things like the deficit.

If his platform continues to be 'vote for me because I'm not him' I think I'll pass.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    June 2, 2011 10:39 a.m.

'Romney making 2nd presidential bid official' - Title

That's because he lost the president bid to McCain in 2008.

Who lost the presidental run to Obama, in 2008.

I believe this is the 3rd or 4th story about Romney from the DSNews, today.

Don't be so obvious DSNews.

• Furry1993 Somewhere in Utah, UT
    June 2, 2011 10:36 a.m.

Romney is the LAST person we need as the Republican nominee.