Utah

Brian David Mitchell's life sentence is 'beginning of a very beautiful chapter,' Elizabeth Smart says

Comments

• Let's be real Salt Lake City, UT
    May 27, 2011 1:54 p.m.

Where is Elizabeths mom? I have looked at the photos and do not see her. She has been fairly silent through much of this. I hope that she is ok and not punishing herself thinking that her role in the whole story could have been the catalyst for Mitchell's behavior. Rest assured, we have a God that will take care of him.

• Deserthiker SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 26, 2011 11:49 p.m.

I fully agree with Elizabeth. We have heard all we ever need to hear from Mr Mitchell. No more publicity. No more press time. The best punishment for Mitchell will be a total absence of societal attention as he wastes away the years in prison. Time for the rest of us to move on with life as well. I wish Elizabeth a beautiful, happy, fulfilling life, and applaud the Smart family for dealing with an unimaginably difficult situation over these long years with great poise and class.

• Gruffi Gummi Logan, UT
    May 26, 2011 8:59 p.m.

Don't forget to throw away the key.

• TripleCrown Santa Ana, CA
    May 26, 2011 1:41 p.m.

>Mitchell entered the courtroom singing "O Come O Come Emanuel...<
    Be careful what you wish for.

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    May 26, 2011 10:21 a.m.

Somehow I don't think he would've gotten a life sentence if this didn't get so much publicity.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    May 26, 2011 9:59 a.m.

Bless you, Elizabeth Smart, and family. I also think Judge Kimball properly handled a unique situation in dealing with Mitchell. And for Mitchell, may the rest of his life in prison be similar to the horrific experience he put Ms. Smart under for those 9-agonizingly long months.

• guitarboy South Jordan, UT
    May 26, 2011 9:16 a.m.

Yesterday, in a packed federal courtroom, I saw Elizabeth Smart look Mitchell in the eye and I heard her speak directly to him. She is the most powerful, calm, confident, poised, effective, graceful speaker in the world. She doesn't seek attention, and neither does her father. They seek justice and they seek to help other missing children.An Aside: I am not a religious man. But if people who admire the Smarts want to express themselves in religious or spiritual terms, let them. Is it possible that unseen angels convey silent messages of hope to victims under duress? I know the good people of Cokeville, Wyoming believe in angels. Who am I to say that never happens. Back to the point - Elizabeth Smart is larger than life in the most amazing of ways. She is so peaceable and confident, intelligent and calmly emphatic, so capable, effective and graceful in her choice of words. She doesn't shrink. Doesn't stammer, doesn't say "um' or offer any hesitation or uncertainty. Visually striking, became tall, physically fit and with the blonde hair...all combined with her exceptional intelligence and speaking ability, a great advocate of this generation.

• 3boyzmom chattanooga, tn
    May 26, 2011 8:11 a.m.

What a wonderful young woman Elizabeth Smart is. It would have been very easy for her to hide and cower the rest of her life, but she summoned the strength she needed from her Heavenly Father and faced it all with grace and did not shrink away. Also, she lost herself in the service of her God as she served him sharing the Gospel in France. Amazing. Elizabeth, now go and enjoy life...I have no doubt that you will!

• sfcretdennis Nice, CA
    May 26, 2011 7:53 a.m.

My Doughter meet Elizabeth and told me what a wonderfull person Elizabeth is and my prayers go out to her and may she have a wonderfull and fulling life in all aspects of her life and my God bless her all her days she already lifed a life in perdishtion for nine months, she does not deserve any more tribulations in life.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    May 26, 2011 6:31 a.m.

The judge did the right thing. This will help Elizabeth and her family on their path of healing. Society was also damaged. I know I was. My peace was diminished, I shouldn't have to worry that something similar might happen to me but I do because of people like this kidnapper. This judgement by the judge restores some of what was lost. Anything less would have been an adequate bandage for the sore caused by Mr. Mitchell.

• The NIT Draper, UT
    May 26, 2011 12:52 a.m.

Congratulations to Elizabeth and the Smart family and to the dedicated attorneys that brought this horrible and evil man to justice. About the only disappointment is that the process took so very long. Something must be done to speed up the criminal justice system.

• elizabeth maher FARMINGTON, UT
    May 25, 2011 10:44 p.m.

Enjoy your beautiful life.

• It's What I think Denton, TX
    May 25, 2011 10:05 p.m.

Excellent trial outcome! Kudos to Judge Kimball.

I hope that Elizabeth can continue to move on with her life with even more freedom from even thinking of the jerk. What a classy young woman!