Sports

BYU trying to blaze a new trail again

Comments

• Cougar_Independence OMAHA, NE
    May 30, 2011 9:36 p.m.

@ ColoradoUte4Life

Please see the year 1984. BYU 1, Utah 0.

What was your comment about national championships again?

• Griz Salt Lake City, UT
    May 27, 2011 2:54 p.m.

@PapaSmurfute

Oops...I must be getting Alzheimers....now let's see....where did I park my car.....come to think of it....what kind of car do I drive?

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    May 27, 2011 10:26 a.m.

Griz,

Byu was not breaking in a new QB in 2008. Maxi Hall already played a year, won the MWC the year before and was a junior in 2008. Get your facts right.

• bigdaddy Salt Lake City, UT
    May 26, 2011 2:09 p.m.

Interesting...BYU gets all of these big games on National TV with even more that they have to turn down in order to keep the schedule balanced and yet Utah couldn't even rate one of their home games on the PAC10+2's new TV deal with ESPN. They didn't even rate a regionally televised game on Fox Sports Northwest or F/X (oops my bad, they get the Montana St game regionally televised on FSN).

The ONLY game they get televised next season on ESPN is the free handout game from BYU. It's ironic that even after leaving for the Pac10+2 they're still living off of scraps from the BYU banquet table. You're welcome Utah.

BTW Utah fans, you're welcome.

• Griz Salt Lake City, UT
    May 26, 2011 1:54 p.m.

@Blowhard S
    "It seems the only BCS team willing to offer BYU a home and home series is Utah... and I wouldn't expect that to last long."

I agree it shouldn't last any longer. The free handouts that BYU is giving their Lil' Brothers Up North should be discontinued. With the new Pac 10+2 TV schedule the Utes were kicked to the curb and given a slot on one of their regionally broadcast satellite channels (was it the Weather Channel, Travel Channel, Lifetime, soemthing like that?) BYU shouldn't be giving them any freebies. It only makes their self-esteem that much worse. They need to start earning it on their own.

BYU doesn't benefit in any way by playing the Utes in SLC but Utah benefits in several million ways by playing BYU in Provo. The free handouts need to stop.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    May 26, 2011 1:47 p.m.

Although I don't always agree with Dutchman, I do respect him and his opinion.

He has always added to the conversation.

Also, props to Dutchman on his response to Fresnogirl. It's an example of what this comment section could and should look like.

• Griz Salt Lake City, UT
    May 26, 2011 1:32 p.m.

@Blowhard S

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    May 26, 2011 9:12 a.m.

Fresnogirl,

I jumped too quickly on your comment and I do apologize. I realize now that you are not all over Utah articles as I claimed. I was wrong. I was also too quick to judge Jeff's article. I have reread it and it is a good piece and Jeff brought all the issues that have been out there for awhile into one well written article.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    May 25, 2011 8:45 p.m.

re: In Stitches | 9:31 p.m. May 24, 2011

It was a T-Shirt. But, the holier than thou attitude & the epically delusional sense of entitlement that is so VERY common among war kitty fans that led to my non sequitur (literary device).

For the record; there is at least an ounce of truth in every pound of sarcasm.

p.s. Why So Serious?

• In Stitches Provo, Utah
    May 25, 2011 6:51 p.m.

Dutchman,

THAT'S what we mean by class. Fresno girl deserves an apology from YOU.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    May 25, 2011 1:21 p.m.

Dutchman -- misspelling your name just now was unintentional.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    May 25, 2011 1:20 p.m.

Duchman,

If I misunderstood your comment, I apologize. Reading it through the first few times, it sounded like you meant something different than you later explained.

However, I am confused by your comment directed toward me: "unlike you being all over every article about Utah." First of all, I can't remember the last Ute article I even read unless it showed up on the BYU boards. Secondly, since I cheer for Utah to succeed (unless they are playing my Cougs), I don't think I am ever derogatory toward your school when I DO happen to post there.

• Ravenal Somewhere in, Utah
    May 25, 2011 11:32 a.m.

Dutchman,

Yes, your comments are generally as you say they are and you do attempt to correct a lot of the misinformation. I'm sure both fan bases can be appreciative of that. I like to think I am a big enough person to admit I am wrong so I apologize for lumping you in with the trolls, there are enough of them out there already.

It seems we agree that both programs have had success over the years and those accomplishments are to be respected, not degraded. I give credit where it's due and cheer for Utah whenever they are not playing BYU. fresnogirl is also one of those few fans that do show some class in their comments. Mormonute is another.

• Truth Machine Salt Lake City, UT
    May 25, 2011 11:14 a.m.

Howard S.

Everyone may not want to be BYU, but there are certainly ALOT of elite teams who want to play BYU.

Since BYU declared independence last August, BYU has announced or is finalizing games with:

Texas, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Penn State, Ohio State, West Virginia, Georgia Tech, Syracuse, Wisconsin, Arizona State, USC, UCLA, Mississippi, Utah and TCU

That's FIFTEEN AQ or soon to be AQ teams BYU has scheduled in less than 9 months - almost all of them to be televised nationally on ESPN.

Yes, Tom Holmoe must be quite the miracle worker to be able to schedule so many high quality games in such a short period of time for a team that doesn't get any "national respect".

btw, BYU will be getting $1 million to $2.5 million per game, while playing nationally televised games on ESPN.

Compared to $1.3 million per year for all sports on the MTN in the MWC, this move to independence by BYU was a no brainer.

The jealous whining from the hill is simply music to the ears of BYU fans.

• In Stitches Provo, Utah
    May 25, 2011 10:08 a.m.

Katie --

You forgot that they also like to pretend to be Cougars and make statements to bolster their fabrications. But Ernest will continue to dominate these boards for decades if not longer.

• Katiebugg Salt Lake City, UT
    May 25, 2011 9:58 a.m.

Veritas and fresnogirl,

Thank you for backing up your statements with actual quotes and facts rather than simply extrapolating and flat out making things up.

But, you both must know by now, the debate team up on the hill doesn't like to use actual facts. It's much, much easier if one of them makes something up and the rest of them just pretend like it's true.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    May 25, 2011 9:49 a.m.

We will dominate for decades if not longer.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    May 25, 2011 9:31 a.m.

Howard S. | 10:38 p.m. May 24, 2011
    Taylorsville, UT
    Lets take inventory Cougar fans:

===

Geez, you twist words...

Not home and home, showing that you understand they are home and home -- and neutral site.

Cute, but invalidates any arguments you have, or will bring in the future.
    ===

Howard S. | 10:56 p.m. May 24, 2011
    Taylorsville, UT

Actually fresnogirl, it was widely reported that in his triumphant Iggy's press conference announcing his commitment to BYU, Jake Heaps stated that BYU would win national championship(s).

Mind If I correct you?

"This is the place we felt we had the best opportunity to win championships," Heaps said. "In no way, shape or form am I guaranteeing anything, but we're going to work like crazy for a national championship. It's not a dream, it's a reality and a goal we can achieve."

===

Respectfully, what is your concern with what Heaps said?

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    May 25, 2011 9:11 a.m.

@Howard S.

Every series you just posted are Indeed Home and Home Series.

The only Non-Home and Home Series is the Notre Dame Series 4-2.

The Texas is a Home and Home, the first game was a one and done deal (seperate contract), signed before BYU's Independence.

Nebraska, Wisconsin, Penn State, Syracuse, will be Home and Home with an additional Neutral Site Game (2 million dollar range).

UCLA, USC, Arizona, ASU, Georgia Tech, will all be Home and Home as they have been with BYU in the past.

WVU, TCU are one time Neutral Site Big Dollar Prime Time ESPN games. Like the Oklahoma game was.

The contortions Utes must go through to diminish all things BYU is quite amusing.

Honesty goes a long way.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    May 25, 2011 9:00 a.m.

Ravenal and Deep Thoughts,

Bring the proof. I am willing to consider your thoughts that I am somehow rude and disruptional. Once you really try to bring some evidence I believe you will see you are wrong. You can probably point to a few times when I get snippetty like most of you but for the vast majority of my comments I try to bring thoughtful information. And for the most part I am responding to negative comments or disinformation posted by other users not just making stuff up as I go along but trying to in a straight forward way refute disinformation about Utah and BYU for that matter and there is a lot of that out there. One thing that you may notice that really gets under my skin is when BYU fans absolutely refuse to give any credence to Utah's 1944 NCAA national basketball title. I for one have never on any board or any situation ever discredited BYU's 1984 national football title. I have given BYU a lot of kudos in the past regarding their academic and research standing and will continue to do so regardles of what you may think of me.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    May 25, 2011 7:23 a.m.

@CordonBleu

Jealousy?

Yeah right...

Every wants to be BYU...

They just don't respect them enough to play them home and home.

• CordonBleu Park City, UT
    May 25, 2011 12:29 a.m.

Howard S.

Your jealousy is showing.

The best Utah has ever been able to do is schedule Michigan and Notre Dame for one-and-dones? In fact, Utah is so lightly regarded, that the Utes couldn't even get their PAC 12 debut game at USC televised on ESPN.

EVERY ONE of these soon to be announced BYU games will be nationally televised on ESPN. Yet you're ragging on BYU for scheduling home-and-home-and-neutral site made for television games with Ohio State, Nebraska, and Penn State???

Get real!

• SportsCenter Olympus Cove, Utah
    May 25, 2011 12:08 a.m.

Howard S.

Again, notice, not a single BYU fan has said BYU would be National Champions.

Let's take inventory:

Notre Dame - has never played at Utah
    Texas - has never played at Utah
    Ga. Tech - has never played at Utah
    TCU - has never played Utah in Cowboys stadium
    West Virgina - has never played Utah in an NFL stadium
    Wisconsin - has never played at Utah
    Nebraska - has never played at Utah
    Penn St. - has never played at Utah
    USC - hasn't played at Utah since the leather helmet days
    Oklahoma - has never played Utah in Cowboys stadium

Call us the FIRST time Utah schedules ANY elite team to play at Utah or schedules a made-for-television game against an elite program in an NFL stadium.

The Utes were completely ignored when the ABC/ESPN PAC 12 schedule was announced.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    May 24, 2011 10:56 p.m.

@fresnogirl

"Please notice that not a single Cougar fan has said we would be National Champions."
    **********

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    May 24, 2011 10:54 p.m.

"If you win all of your games, you will be in the BCS," Brown said. "Utah's proven it, Boise State's proven it, TCU's proven it and Hawaii proved it that one year. That's not changing. You'll probably even see opportunities, given the strength of schedule BYU will play, plus their brand name, teams now could lose a game and could still make the BCS depending on how the year turns out. That is great for the sport, and those are opportunities BYU will be able to take advantage of going forward, because I know BYU will play a really good schedule, no doubt about it."

I like the opportunity BYU has now that they have the freedom to schedule teams from many BCS conferences. BYU can put together impressive enough schedules that will give them the chance to possibly break the into a BCS bowl game even with a one loss season. This along with the national exposure they will gain and TV deal BYU has in place and im really loving the move to independence.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 24, 2011 10:39 p.m.

fresnogirl -

You are my hero!

Hank Pym -

War kittens? Really? Wow...

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    May 24, 2011 10:39 p.m.

Uteology

You're comparison between BYU 1984 and Utah 2004 is, as usual, ridiculous.

Throw out BYU's 12th game against aweful Utah State(1-10), and the combined records of BYU's and Utah's opponents:

BYU 1984: 54-69-3;
    4 teams with winning records: Tulsa(6-5), at Hawaii(7-4), at Air Force(8-4), at Utah(6-5-1)

Utah 2004: 53-72-0;
    3 teams with winning records: Texas A&M(7-5), at UNM(7-5), at Wyo(7-5)

You really expect us to believe that New Mexico and Wyoming on the road were tougher than Hawaii, Air Force and Utah?

Air Force 1984 was better than anybody Utah played in 2004, including Utah's BCS bowl opponent, Pittsburgh, which was one of the worst BCS teams ever.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    May 24, 2011 10:38 p.m.

Lets take inventory Cougar fans:

Notre Dame - not home and home
    Texas - not home and home
    Ga. Tech - not home and home
    TCU - not home and home
    West Virgina - not home and home
    Wisconsin - not home and home
    Nebraska - not home and home
    Penn St. - not home and home
    USC - not home and home
    UCLA - not home and home

Quite a list of the college football elite, none of which consider BYU worthy of a straight up home and home series.

Tom Holmoe says that we has turned down 2, two-for-one offers...

Translation: He turned down offers from two BCS teams that didn't consider BYU worthy of a home and home series.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    May 24, 2011 10:35 p.m.

@Uteology I don't think Griz was trying to downplay the Utes undefeated seasons (regardless of SoS it's difficult for any team to go undefeated through a season and the fact the Utes have done it twice in the last 7 years is impressive). Rather, I think he was trying to refute the arguments of certain people who are saying that it's impossible for BYU to make it to a BCS, or National Championship game, with the "cupcakes" they have on their schedule.

On a different note, I am genuinely curious as to how many teams with a top 5 or top 10 SoS have made it to the NC game in the last 10 years? I would venture to guess that it's not as many as we might think...

• In Stitches Provo, Utah
    May 24, 2011 10:28 p.m.

Oh, golly Dutchman, I'm so glad you explained your motives:

"However, this article truly was a waste of time. Jeff can do much better other than go back to some notes he took and filed away six months ago and now decides to write something."

Here we were thinking it was you being a Troll; we didn't realize you were Jeff's journalism professor.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    May 24, 2011 10:06 p.m.

Actually, Heaps was right. No Conference = No conference Championship to play for just a National one. HE NEVER stated that BYU was going to be this year's N.C.
    ColoradoUte4Life intimated that he did though when he posted,

"Heaps is believing all of the normal 'national championship' talk generally associated in the preseason in Utah County."

So did another Ute, Skippy, when he posted,

"BYU thinks they will win it before they even play their first game and other schools "play one game at a time" before being arrogant enough to say it out loud."

And then finally you, when you posted,

Someone once said or maybe it was a T-shirt that proclaimed BYU Perennial September National Champions.

"I guess its true if all the fans of the war kittens say it is. Because, honesty and virtue is hard wired into all the true believers."

Please notice that not a single Cougar fan has said we would be National Champions. We never do. But many Utes like to pretend we do and then make fun of us for doing something we never did.

I guess imaginary arguments ARE the easiest ones to win....

• Uteology Fort Worth, Texas
    May 24, 2011 9:35 p.m.

@Griz

Are BYU fans really downplaying Utah's two undefeated seasons?

FACT: BYU beat up "Bo Diddly Techs" to win a national championship in 1984 with a SOS of #104.

FACT: The 2008 team was the ONLY undefeated team in the nation who beat 4 ranked teams (#6, #7, #18, and #25). SOS 2004 #67 and 2008 #56 according to USA Today (for a comparison #8 Penn State SOS was #55).

You can argue all you want which team was better but only one proved it on the field.

The TV exposure is great for BYU. However, since BYU did not get the "Notre Dame of the West" BCS exception don't count on a 10 or 11 win BYU team to be playing in January. For example, the real Notre Dame in 2002 was 10-2 and still did not play a BCS game.

• man of few words Salt Lake City, UT
    May 24, 2011 9:34 p.m.

Oh look, the little boys on the hill are throwing dirt clods again, yelling, "Pay attention to us! Pay attention to us! Legitimize us!"

There. You've been acknowledged. Feel better now?

• In Stitches Provo, Utah
    May 24, 2011 9:31 p.m.

Hank Pym

Show us the quote of ANYONE here or in the article who is saying that the Cougars WILL BE the National Champs. Yeah, I thought not. When you don't have an argument, does sarcasm provide one?

• Wally West SLC, UT
    May 24, 2011 9:15 p.m.

re: Rikitikitavi | 2:28 p.m. May 24, 2011

Can I be on the opposition? Please!?

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    May 24, 2011 9:11 p.m.

Sarcasm off?

• Griz Salt Lake City, UT
    May 24, 2011 7:01 p.m.

@troutman

Get a clue, do you have any idea how difficult it is to throw together an entire 12-13 game schedule from scratch and get it done in just a few months? Normally it's something that AD's work on for years in advance. It boggles my mind that people can't seem to figure that out.

At the same time, BYU needs to balance their schedule out as well. If you look at the Utes schedules in the years they went to a BCS bowl game, they scheduled copious amounts of cupcakes and cream puffs with a couple of bigger named teams that were fortunately having rebuilding seasons (ie in 2008 they played the worst Michigan team in over 100 yrs, a lousy Louisville team and caught BYU in a year where they were breaking in a new QB). In 2004 they played probably one of the easiest schedules in Division 1 and didn't face a ranked team all year then got the worst BCS Bowl opponent in history with the 8-5 Pitt Panthers.

Some of that is just plain luck and hard to control, but schedules cupcakes you can control and is necessary.

• Deep Thoughts Salt Lake City, UT
    May 24, 2011 6:55 p.m.

Dutchman,

I'm not sure why you are trying to mix it up with Fresnogirl. I haven't seen her on any Ute articles since basketball season ended. And when she was posting, it was to encourage fan support for our team and to wish us luck. That's a far cry from the stuff you continually post on their articles. You could really learn from her example. Just sayin'.

• PP Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 24, 2011 6:15 p.m.

I am really not sure why people are raging on the strength of schedule for this year. It may be the toughest schedule BYU has ever put together and is considered to be one of the 10 toughest this season. It is certainly harder by far than the Utes schedule this year (or ever).

• manaen Buena Park, CA
    May 24, 2011 4:00 p.m.

At least 2011's schedule lets us take care of some unfinished business by evening our record against (BYU's overall record in parentheses)
    * Ore St (4-5) and
    * Idaho (1-2)
    and improving against
    * TCU (5-4).

Of course, we have perfect records against lesser teams like:
    * Idaho St (3-0) and
    * TEXAS (2-0).

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    May 24, 2011 3:28 p.m.

@Muss Man

Sorry to burst your bubble Mussy.

But, BYU has talked Independence for 25 years, planned for 15, and 5 years ago began Construction projects which prepared them for the inevitable.

Less than one year after BYU declared Independence, they have the Nations State of the Art Broadcast Facility, are hard wired HD to venues on campus, BYU-tv is in 60 million homes on basic tier (a process which started 12 years ago) they have a multi-million dollar contract with the biggest name in sports ESPN and are scheduling storied programs.

Their Football and B-ball games (all) will be Nationally televised.

Sorry Mussy, the World which is BYU does not and never has revolved around the U. They have vision and look ahead.

If anything, BYU has left millions on the table while having little brother tag along.

When Utah got it's invite to the Pac 10(which BYU, a Faith Based Inst. never would have recieved) BYU was ready to implement Their plan, years in the making.

Sorry, the U is not the center of BYU's Universe.

but nice try anyaway.

• tracer Paradise, UT
    May 24, 2011 3:18 p.m.

So much talk about a weak schedule by playing WAC teams. Interesting that Boise State was so close to a BCS Championship game until a missed field goal took them out. What's amazing is that BSU played a complete WAC schedule last year and was still in the running for a top 3 ranking. BYU schedule is much stronger this year and should generate the same opportunities. It's looking like a great year for football in the state of Utah in 2011.

• Ravenal Somewhere in, Utah
    May 24, 2011 3:02 p.m.

That's not true Dutchman, I see you on BYU sites all the time. Even when you're on Ute articles, your one of those that still harp on BYU.

As for Fresnogirl, yeah, she may post on Ute articles, but she usually shows a lot of class and maturity. Kind of like Mormonute, rarely do I see them post the kind of negative dribble that you, hedgie, Honor code, and chris have become known for.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    May 24, 2011 2:46 p.m.

Fresnogirl,

"For someone who is constantly complaining about what a waste of time reading BYU articles is".

You must be referring to someone else. I rarely read articles that are solely devoted to BYU unlike you being all over every article about Utah and I rarely complain about an article being a waste of time. However, this article truly was a waste of time. Jeff can do much better other than go back to some notes he took and filed away six months ago and now decides to write something.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    May 24, 2011 2:28 p.m.

Riverton Cougar: great definition of trailblazer AND some great points to support it. I would really like to have you and Fresno girl and YgradYdad on my debate team.

• Captain Caveman Provo, Utah
    May 24, 2011 2:27 p.m.

It's a great day to be a Cougar!

• Katiebugg Salt Lake City, UT
    May 24, 2011 2:24 p.m.

Skippy

Unlike Y grad/dad, I didn't think you were offended; I just thought you had a little brother complex. I still do.

• man of few words Salt Lake City, UT
    May 24, 2011 2:22 p.m.

Good luck to you, Cougars. It was a gutsy move and I am curious to see how it will work out for you. It looks like a few other schools will be watching as well (and perhaps following you). See you in September.

• In Stitches Provo, Utah
    May 24, 2011 2:19 p.m.

Skippy

You should go and read that again. He stated his goal which YOU then admitted all teams are playing for. He never guaranteed BYU reaching that goal.

I would rather have my team striving for a lofty goal and missing the mark then striving for a mediocre goal. After all, Don Shula openly states that his team would have never had a perfect season if he had never dared to state that as a goal. He elaborates that when aiming an arrow, you should aim for the bullseye so that, even if you miss it a bit, you still hit the target. If you just aim for the target and miss, you miss it completely.

====
    And to Big J and Dutchman who are (yet again) showing off their insecurities for all the world to see. Alas, trying to tear down others will never make you look bigger or more important.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    May 24, 2011 2:18 p.m.

By winning all of its games, a school can qualify for a BCS bowl. In the BCS era only 4 schools have done that and 3 have done it twice. Win and you're in. Period.

• Skippy West Jordan, UT
    May 24, 2011 2:09 p.m.

Y grad/Y dad... No where in that comment could you assume I was offended! Good luck with your BYU Expectaions. As for the other college football teams, they will continue to play one game at a time and let the peices of the puzzle fall where they fall.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    May 24, 2011 1:58 p.m.

Riverton Cougar

You make some good points. I remember a radio interview in Utah several years back where the radio sports guy (can't remember the name now) was asking the President of the WAC if the WAC would take the other BYU sports if BYU were to go independent in Football. Since this interview was several years before The Utes were invited to go anywhere, it seems highly unlikely that independence was simply a reaction to that.

=========

@ Dutchman

For someone who is constantly complaining about what a waste of time reading BYU articles is, you sure do read and comment on a lot of them. Maybe it's time to reevaluate how you choose to spend your free time. Just a thought.

=====

@ Mormon Ute

Thank you for always displaying the kind of sportsmanship and goodwill that can (and usually does) exist between our two schools. You are a great reminder that a very vocal negative minority does NOT represent the majority. Good luck in your new Conference. I'll be cheering for you (as always).

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    May 24, 2011 1:27 p.m.

"Would BYU have gone independent had Utah not left for the PAC-12? The only honest answer is "No.""

My credible sources say otherwise. According to someone in the Physical Education department at BYU (who was involved in the decision-making process), BYU made the decision to go independent several years ago, not last August. The question was when to go independent, and that was answered in August after Utah left.

Here's some proof: talks with ESPN, the broadcasting building, the HDTV equipment and truck, etc. Do you think in August when Holmoe made the announcement, they said, "Hurry, let's build a new building to handle the exposure issue!" and *poof* there it was!? A decision like that isn't made lightly.

What is more "trailblazing": joining a conference or taking the independence path?

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    May 24, 2011 1:27 p.m.

THE MWC and it's lousy TV situation ruined the trajectory of BYU football nationally. They basically disappeared from national view for a while... of course, a couple of those years that was a blessing in disguise. :)

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 24, 2011 1:25 p.m.

Muss Man,

If you are going to ask the question, and expect an honest answer, you also gotta ask "why?"

Why would BYU have stayed? Because the conference was getting stronger, maybe heading toward BCS status itself? Probably not a reason to continue to endure the Mnt.

Because BYU was still hoping for a BCS invite that included Utah? That seems like a likely possibility.

Which raises a really interesting question: do you think (because we can only speculate) that IF BYU had gotten an invite without Utah, would they have declined or would they have jumped? There are many that postulate BYU would have stayed.

As for Utah trailblazing? It IS new uncharted territory for Utah, but it required no courage and not a second thought. Ditch the MWC? Not even a question. BYU going independent? Yeah, that's trailblazing, and it seems like if it works, others might follow. Sounds like a trailblazer to me.

• Muss Man Draper, UT
    May 24, 2011 12:57 p.m.

Time for an honesty check, Cougar fans.

Would BYU have gone independent had Utah not left for the PAC-12? The only honest answer is "No." BYU is not "blazing a new trail." BYU is simply responding to its rival leaving the MWC.

That being said, given the circumstances, it was the right call. The Cougars are clearly in a better position now to capitalize on BYUtv and the ESPN partnership.

But the reality is, had Utah not left the MWC, BYU wouldn't have gone independent. The University of Utah is the true "trailblazer" in this story.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 24, 2011 12:42 p.m.

Good luck Cougars on this new course you have charted. Looking forward to September 17th!

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 24, 2011 12:32 p.m.

Hey Skippy,

First there was "magic happens" (I don't know what came before that), then "Max Hall hates me" and now it's Jake Heaps. Why do you guys spend so much time and emotional energy scrutinizing an "arrogant" school with "arrogant" teams and "arrogant" fans, looking to be offended?

And I am truly sorry that a number of "you" people have a difficult time distinguishing between EXPECTING good things and thinking or saying they have already happened. I don't believe having high expectations qualifies as arrogance. Seeing as you clearly can't be arrogant, does that mean you have low or no expectations for your team?

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    May 24, 2011 12:11 p.m.

"These are not the droids you are looking for".

blah, blah, blah. Nothing new here. This has all been stated ad nausea. What a wasted read.

• Parkite1 Park City, UT
    May 24, 2011 11:55 a.m.

Some of the uneducated comments are just hilarious. Pretty simple BYU goes undefeated they will play for and probably win their second National Championship! They do that and the 2 for 1 games will go away because it will be a wake-up call for these so-called bigger schools which won't be a factor after that occurs.

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    May 24, 2011 11:13 a.m.

Bah, bah, bah. Spin, spin, spin. Cougar Nation, quit kidding yourselves. BYU sold their sporting future for a little more money. Yes it was more than the MWC deal, and there is more exposure on ESPN. In the process they really messed up all their programs and I include Football in that group.

Recruiting will not be enhanced in anyway. BYU will still get the same type of kids they are getting now but will not do any better. No one will be enticed by three to four losses early in the year and a weak schedule to end the year.

There will never be any BCS bowls and on the national stage they will continue to be that quirky program they have always been. BYU is hoping, but not saying, that the Independence thing is a short term stop gap. Good Luck!

• Skippy West Jordan, UT
    May 24, 2011 11:03 a.m.

"We're not playing for a conference championship," said sophomore quarterback Jake Heaps. "We're playing for a national championship."

Isn't that what we are all playing for? The only difference...BYU thinks they will win it before they even play their first game and other schools "play one game at a time" before being arrogant enough to say it out loud.

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    May 24, 2011 10:18 a.m.

I'm a Ute fan, but I'd sure like to wish the Y football luck with this new venture. I'm liking independence for Y football more and more. The MWC does not produce revenue, exposure, or a competitive schedule. The Y's football schedule for the upcoming season is pretty weak, but that is obviously changing as the top tier competition needs more than a few weeks notice for scheduling.

Going independent is a bold, gutsy move by the Y. As the Y moves beyond playing lousy WAC teams, I'll be watching for you on ESPN!

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    May 24, 2011 10:18 a.m.

It is all about winning. Boise, Utah, TCU, Hawaii all got into BCS games with weaker schedules than BYU will play this year.

So if BYU wins 10 or 11 games, a BCS Bowl is possible.

National Championship? An undefeated USC team was overlooked. Neither Utah or BYU will get into an NC game, even if undefeated, unless the SEC, BIG 10, or Big 12 teams all have 2 or more losses.

So a realistic goal is a BCS Bowl game. An NC is highly unlikely. For either team.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    May 24, 2011 9:57 a.m.

This opportunity presents itself with what we've always wanted: the chance and need to PROVE IT ON THE FIELD. If BYU starts quickly and does well, they will rise to the top, maybe slowly, but surely. The same is true for Utah. But perhaps the Cougars will find a soft schedule the first year as a way to ease into independence while thet Utes will find they maybe don't fit intothe PAC 12, at least not now. Both teams destiny lies in winning games.

I feel BYU will do very well this year. Then their schedule will improve.
    I believe it will take Utah 3 years to win a combined total of ten PAC 12 Conference games.....at least 3 years.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 24, 2011 9:46 a.m.

ColoradoUte4Life

Since your comment is reasoned, we can assume you are simply mistaken, and not deranged.

If I didn't recognize the glaring weaknesses on the schedule, I would be an idiot. If you fail to admit the strengths of the schedule, then you would be right there with me.

Now from there, there is still a long hard row to hoe. 1) We have to win the tough games; 2) after we beat them, the traditionally tough teams have to continue tough; 3) even IF we win the tough games early, playing cupcakes the last half of the season STILL may not be enough to propel us into the top echelon; and 4) we can't afford to lose focus against the Utah States on the schedule because we know, by sad experience, what they can do given the chance. Plus, the right teams have to lose at the right time, but that is the same story for all but the elite 5 or so each year.

So, DIFFICULT? Yes. Impossible? No. IF BYU went undefeated this year, ( yes, tall order, but we EXPECT big things from the men in blue) it could happen.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    May 24, 2011 9:45 a.m.

I understand that the weak teams on our schedule may be of concern, but since they are home games it might help us out. Anybody can beat anybody at home. But if BYU beats Ole Miss AND Texas AND TCU AND Hawaii on the road and goes undefeated, people will be impressed. If the home/road games had switched, there goes our chances (they'd say home field advantage helped).

Broom Hockey Champ,

I did notice they kept the name, and a BYU invite is very likely. However, the Big East wants BYU (as do its fans), but BYU will probably reject the invitation. BYU might accept a Big 12 invite, but this independence thing is working out rather well for us. I'd rather bring down the AQ status of all conferences than join an AQ conference.

• Katiebugg Salt Lake City, UT
    May 24, 2011 9:42 a.m.

I love the possibilities that Independence gives us. For the naysayers talking about this upcoming season's schedule, I say "Grow up."

Tom did a great job putting this schedule together in such a short time and the future schedules keep getting stronger. But you little boys already knew that.

• goinfishn Orem, Utah
    May 24, 2011 9:32 a.m.

Great time to be a Cougar fan.
    Go Gougars.

• In Stitches Provo, Utah
    May 24, 2011 9:29 a.m.

Poor Honor Code. Nobody writes articles about his Aggies, so he has to bitterly Troll articles about the Utes and Cougars....

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    May 24, 2011 9:19 a.m.

Honor Code | 8:50 a.m. May 24, 2011
    Denver, Colorado

Also, I can't wait for my sugar high at LVS!!!
    ===

LVS?

I don't get the acronym...

Planning the Las Vegas Bowl again?

Is that the reference to WAC teams?

How did Utah do in the Vegas Bowl against a WAC team last time?

Good luck as U reach for the stars...

• Broom Hockey Champ Alpine, UT
    May 24, 2011 9:17 a.m.

Did anyone else see that the Big 12 leadership voted to keep the Big 12 name even though there are only 10 teams in the conference? This is significant because it means that they will likely invite 2 new teams to join the conference.

BYU has proven they can beat Big 12 teams in football (see win vs. OU). They'll prove it again when they beat Texas this year. And now the basketball program is becoming a major player, winning a POY award and going to the Sweet 16.

I'm okay if they stay independent, but I wonder if there is an opt out clause in the ESPN deal. It seems like an invite might come any time now.

• GACougar Atlanta, GA
    May 24, 2011 9:13 a.m.

The Utah Utes and WSU Cougars will both be vying for a national championship this year. I say they both have equal chance.

Good luck to ya!

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    May 24, 2011 9:03 a.m.

Honor Code

Yes, Honor Code, we're especially looking forward to those WAC games on September 17th and September 30th.

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    May 24, 2011 8:50 a.m.

Can't wait for those WAC games at home. I look forward to seeing the Cougars beat them bad in every game, should be fun!!! Also, I can't wait for my sugar high at LVS!!!

• Truth Machine Salt Lake City, UT
    May 24, 2011 8:11 a.m.

ColoradoUte4Life

"Independence takes you completely out of the discussions for a national championship."

When has Utah EVER been in the national championship discussion. Even in their two BCS busting seasons, Utah never finished higher than 6th in the BCS rankings.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    May 24, 2011 7:57 a.m.

BYU's schedule will not prevent them from vying for a national championship. Having a national following makes up for a lot. How do you think name brand teams like TX, OK and Ohio State get preferential treatment? They have the fans.

If there are 2 undefeated name brand teams then an undefeated BYU would have a problem. If there is only one, BYU would have a very good shot. BYU is now in a much better situation than TCU was last year or BSU in other years. The exposure of going undefeated on national TV makes up for a lot. BYU's schedule will get harder as the years go by. But the recruiting will also improve. More talent equals more wins.

The U also has to go undefeated to get any chance at the championship game. They may BACK into the Rose bowl on occasion but they are not going to the championship game unless they go undefeated. The PAC is perceived as weak except for a couple of teams and Utah is not one of them.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    May 24, 2011 7:51 a.m.

I can't wait for the season to start. Granted, the last half of this first season might be considered 'small pickens' but it's how the season starts that is exciting. And in the seasons to come is where this schedule will truly become something to behold.

Rant all U want BYU haters. Your conference schedule will soon pale in comparison to the Cougar's gauntlet of top notch teams.

I know it must be difficult to acknowledge that in spite of your recent success in getting to the PAC that BYU's relevance continues to move on without U.

So get this in your head... BYU is more than just a local university with a local following. BYU is a 'storied program' and the relationship with ESPN more than justifies it. Very few schools could pull off what BYU has done in such a short time. It's no wonder that other schools and the media are watching so closely as to how BYU does. It's time to follow a leader.

... and what channel are you on other than ESPN one time in September?

• Spoxjox Redmond, WA
    May 24, 2011 7:45 a.m.

"I still think it would have been tough for the PAC to turn us away if we had done what Utah has done twice."

Don't kid yourself. The PAC-10 bigotry against religion in general and BYU in particular is far stronger than any desire to have another football team join the conference, no matter how good. This is true for the institution presidents, ADs, and (in general) the student body and active alumni. Less so for the fan base, and afaik not an issue for the coaches.

• joshkanosh Ephraim, UT
    May 24, 2011 7:35 a.m.

COUte4life:

The thing about the 'talk' in Utah County is that BYU has been there and we, the fans, expect to be there again. Ute fans have pipe dreams for that and good memories of going to a high paying bowl game.

• BigCougFan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 24, 2011 6:39 a.m.

Can't wait for the season to begin.. I'll have to start replaying all the old games I have on tape just to get through the summer.

GO COUGARS!!

• ColoradoUte4Life Parker, CO
    May 24, 2011 5:59 a.m.

Unfortunately, BYU's schedule will not allow them to play in any national championship game. Even if they wipe everyone off the map these coming years, their schedule is, and will continue to be, weak. Heaps is believing all of the normal "national championship" talk generally associated in the preseason in Utah County. Sorry guys, you just aren't at the table regardless of the ESPN coverage.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    May 24, 2011 5:44 a.m.

I'm glad we've finally figured out the importance of winning. It's amazing that Utah, Boise and Hawaii all busted the BCS before BYU. I still think it would have been tough for the PAC to turn us away if we had done what Utah has done twice.

BYU needs to schedule games where it wants to recruit. Recruits won't come if they don't know BYU and see them play. We got Beck and Hall because we played ASU (after a 10 year drought). BYU should play at least one game a year on the East Coast. It helps us get players out here and badly needed media exposure.

• Let's be reasonable Belgrade, Serbia
    May 24, 2011 4:10 a.m.

Relatively obscure TV network? Understatement of the year. BYU would still be in the MWC and it would probably already be in the BCS if we had not joined with MTN.

I will say i was actually looking forward to BYU, Utah, TCU, Boise State, Hawaii and the other new kids on the block. The MWC will be in the BCS within 2-3 years. I bet BYU will try to get a BYU rule like Notre Dame has at that time.

• troutman Washington, UT
    May 24, 2011 2:01 a.m.

The only thing is, this years schedule at home with the likes of Idaho, Idaho State, New Mexico State, San Jose State will kill them in strength of schedule. The Y will win all of those games, but so what? those teams? come on! They may even get revenge on Utah State for USU killing of the Y in Logan last year? But with Gary Anderson, who knows, it might be the first time the Aggies beat the Y in Provo since 1978! OH BH from Riverton by way of Gilbert, flame away with your arrogance!

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    May 23, 2011 11:37 p.m.

I can't help but think that playing GOOD BCS teams all over the country every year on ESPN and BYUtv will really help recruiting in four ways:

1. Players will know they could get to play near their home sometime during their BYU careers.

2. Prospects near where BYU plays will have that introduction to the school, which they wouldn't otherwise.

3. Players will know ALL of their games will likely be seen nationwide every week, one way or another. And likely replayed on BYUtv, even if live on ESPN.

4. Players will know that they'll play a nice variety of really good BCS football teams during their BYU careers.

This independence thing with ESPN's help is SO COOL!

Getting into BCS bowl games would just be frosting on the cake.

Conference championships are over-hyped, especially in mid-major conferences. Even in BCS conferences both their regular season champs and conference playoff champs are soon forgotten. BCS bowl victories, and mostly national champs are what's remembered.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    May 23, 2011 11:30 p.m.

BYUs national following of supporters and haters is going to increase dramatically.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    May 23, 2011 11:28 p.m.

September can't come soon enough!