Sports

Dick Harmon: BYUtv breaking new ground on sports coverage

Comments

• alternate Salt Lake City, UT
    May 24, 2011 9:01 p.m.

Ute123 seems to be missing several key points. One is simply that BYU athletics will generate more than 4 mil in 2011 and years thereafter. In fact, once you factor in baskeball and other sports, they will do very well.

Utah will draw very little money for 2 plus years and most likely will be far behind Colo and the other schools who get the big bucks right away.

Another point is that Texas is in fact looking at doing there own stuff in addition to the Big 12=2 contract. They have been looking at how BYU is doing their own production.

Had the MWC and their TV contract gave BYU more latitude especially with allowing them to produce their own non-MTN games, BYU may have never left the MWC. If BYU's deal would have been like what Texas got, we may still be talking MWC and the new BSU rivalry.

When the other big conferences sign their new TV deals, the PAC12 may not look so rosy. As TV money goes up, so will BYU's TV money. As long as they draw ratings like in the past, life will be good.

• Rustynail West Jordan, UT
    May 24, 2011 8:38 p.m.

Don't be too hard on those who say they can't find it on Comcast. While BYUTV is on Comcast in Utah and in many areas of the US it is not in all Comcast areas. Many of my friends have given up on Comcast back East and have switched to Dish or Direct to get it.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    May 24, 2011 2:14 p.m.

Thanks Duckhunter. Any college football we can get here in Brazil will be huge exposure from all US expatriates. We don't have BYUtv yet, hope it is here by Fall.

• Taco Salad Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 24, 2011 1:20 p.m.

If they can't figured out a way to monetize BYUtv Sports then who is going to be paying for the "exposure"? The production, the HD truck, and facilities aren't free or cheap. Is the Athletic Dept budget or the general BYU fund going to pay the cost? I hope it's not coming out of sacred tithing funds because there are far more effective ways to spreading the gospel then through BYU athletics.

• Troll Hunter Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 24, 2011 11:11 a.m.

@FanofBYU

Your a better man than me for trying to help the HedgeTroll find the BYU Channel.

• FanofBYU American Fork, UT
    May 24, 2011 8:01 a.m.

Hedge,

Okay, I'll help you this time but remember, Big Brother can't be there for you all the time.

BYUHD is found on channel 647 on Comcast. You can also see them on Comcast on channels 11 and 21.
    Glad I can help.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 23, 2011 5:02 p.m.

@razzle

In Tom Holmoes keeting with the press a week ago he stated they are exploring ways to make money from the BYUtv broadcasts but as of now I don't believe they are making money from them. They are making money from ESPN broadcast which will turn out to be hlf of their games or more.

But the money is not the issue at BYU that it is at utah or other schools. BYU has all the money they need so this is truly about exposure. For the BYU fans across the country, and around the world, BYU making money is not the concern, seeing the games is the concern, and they will now be able to see the games. Also the opponenets fans will get to see the games and will seek out BYUtv when their team plays BYU. Then they will know about BYUtv. It is a process but it is going to get better with time and in the meantime all of those greatful fans around the world that get to see the games will contribute to the university because that keeps them closer to the university.

Not all things are apparent without some thought.

• Broom Hockey Champ Alpine, UT
    May 23, 2011 3:09 p.m.

@ Razzle Dazzle

I's all about exposure and exploiting cache and brand. If Utah had either of those you might begin to understand what the issues at hand are. BYU is going to be front and center on a regular basis, which will get recruits pumped.

I will be able to watch all of the games in the comfort of my home, except for home games which I will attend in person.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    May 23, 2011 2:02 p.m.

Excuse my ignorance.
    Are we talking about commercial free TV or can I advertise on this new channel?
    If the Univerisity is doing this for free, why does exposure matter?
    How is the University making millions with this TV deal?

• ImaCaMan Redlands, CA
    May 23, 2011 1:09 p.m.

Re: Orem Parent, et al

"It's about exposure"

Exposure to who?? This is great for all of the LDS and BYU fans. The non-LDS, non-BYU fan is never going to see any of these games. They may know the MTN exists but BYU TV? I don't think so.

How is the non-profit, religous thing going to work now that they are broadcasting (for profit) football games?

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    May 23, 2011 12:22 p.m.

Hedgie....

Once the season begins, not only will You and all BYU fans be tuning in
    (Mormon and Non-Mormon), but the fans of the opposing teams will tune is as well.

And as BYU-tv carries the WCC games as well, so will fans up and down the west coast.

One thing is for certain, nobody will be watching U.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    May 23, 2011 12:12 p.m.

If history repeats itself with sports productions I am very concerned about watching any game on BYUtv. HD or not, the camera angles and scope are critical. Anyone remember the days of KBYU broadcasts made with students manning the cameras? Nothing more frustrating than watching long passes without seeing the intended receiver, either immediately before or after the ball is caught/dropped/etc. If we get that kind of coverage there will be no "replay-gates" as there will be nothing to replay.

BYW TV ratings are samples based on a very limited number of people with TVs in their homes. Any national rating on past viewership of specific games has no relation to current or future viewership of a more focused group (i.e. BYU fans). TV ratings come from a very small sampling of self-admitted couch potatoes, not BYU's target audience.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    May 23, 2011 12:12 p.m.

@hedgie

It took me 2 seconds to Google BYU-tv Comcast

result....

BYU-tv channel ch. 21 BYU-tv-International ch. 100

Sorry you had trouble navigating the web

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    May 23, 2011 12:04 p.m.

Looks like Howard S. really is watching BYU-TV.

He referenced the "Food Nanny".

• Ravenal Somewhere in, Utah
    May 23, 2011 11:37 a.m.

Hedge gets the BYU channel. I used to live in the Midwest and it's on Comcast's basic plan. Maybe he's afraid if he does find it, he might actually watch it.

• Broom Hockey Champ Alpine, UT
    May 23, 2011 11:35 a.m.

It's going to great watching games in the comfort of my own home. One of the things about the MTN that I won't miss is the HS-type broadcasts. Does anyone know how the broadcast situation will be handled? In other words, who are the commentators? Is Todd coming over? Do we get Sammy Linebaugh?

• Wynn and lose Cougarville, Ut
    May 23, 2011 11:25 a.m.

hedge:

The Point is you CAN get BYUtv. What package includes the FOX regional channel showing the Utes?

• showmeyatd's Pleasant View, Utah
    May 23, 2011 11:20 a.m.

I have Dish and it's there. It's not the channel they say 376. Mine is in the HD channel area in the 9325 range close to ESPN's HD channel.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 23, 2011 11:18 a.m.

"376 channels and BYUTV not there.....False (again)

If you have Comcast it's there"

troll,

Again - it's not there. And no, I will not waist another 10 minutes looking again. It's possible the bYutv channel is buired somewhere between the "scrapebooking channel" or the "burining log channel". But for the sportsfan (non lds) this is simply to much work to find.

• Troll Hunter Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 23, 2011 11:01 a.m.

Hedgie,

376 channels and BYUTV not there.....False (again)

If you have Comcast it's there.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 23, 2011 10:38 a.m.

"You didn't decide to get the package with BYUtv"

Wynn,

I thought it was free to all the huddled masses? Are you saying you have to purchase it? or work to get it included?

Good luck in picking up anyone beyond your church goers who hear about it in the Sunday bulletin.

• Wynn and lose Cougarville, Ut
    May 23, 2011 10:21 a.m.

Hedge:

You didn't decide to get the package with BYUtv. What a shock! Another channel you didn't find in your search was the Fox regional channel that will carry Ute games this year.

Looking through 376 channels_would that make your search "arduouse"?

• Mesa Coug Phoenix, AZ
    May 23, 2011 10:11 a.m.

I never paid for the Mtn or basic cable even. That's why I love this new deal. I can stream all of the games either from ESPN or BYUtv. I can see every game and don't have to drop a dime on cable.

• ExecutorIoh West Jordan, UT
    May 23, 2011 9:51 a.m.

I am prepared to dump DirecTV and go to over the air over this if the satellite providers don't pick up the HD channel. Saves me a ton of money anyways. Get ESPN3.com on my internet provider and I am done with them for sure.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    May 23, 2011 9:42 a.m.

I just sent a letter to DirecTV requesting BYUTV in HD. I hoping thousands of you will do the same.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 23, 2011 9:15 a.m.

Ok, so I finally broke down and searched (in vain) for this mythical bYutv you speak of.

I get 376 channels throu comcast....not there. Obviousley I will never search for this again.

But one must ask. If it's this difficult to find... just how valuable is it.

• IDC Boise, ID
    May 23, 2011 9:14 a.m.

Holy exposure. I think it will take me a year to figure out all of the different ways I can watch my Cougars. I just learned how to set an alarm on my iphone last night. Maybe I can get my iphone to wake me up with video of one of my favorite BYU football highlights. I am off to find byutv.com and see what is playing. Go Cougs!

• Floyd Johnson Broken Arrow, OK
    May 23, 2011 7:57 a.m.

Sammy

Have you toured the BYUtv games library yet? Their website has about 65 games on demand. I watched '09 BYU-OU last week. I am sure you won't have a problem finding a classic BYU-Utah game.

• JDL Magna, UT
    May 23, 2011 7:36 a.m.

Hedge & Howard etall:

My final post on this story. So What!!

Here's a story last year on the same issue only includes some Utah stats.

BYU/Utah TV ratings shaping up
    May 23,2010
    Dick Harmon Deseret Morning News

With all the national attention BYU has with it's move to independence, Jimmermania, and honor code, combined with ESPN's partnership, BYU is getting exactly what it wants, Exposure!!

BYU's exposure has limited relativity to Utah so your posts trying to point out selective statistics are in the words of Hamilton Burger of the famed Perry Mason TV program of the late 50's and 60's, incompetent, irrelevant immaterial. BTW Hamilton Burger never won a single case that I know of.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 23, 2011 7:09 a.m.

Hedgie, Howie:

Peanuts or not, we shall see. But it is rather funny to be mocked by fans of a team that has precisely one nationally televised game (so far). If it wasn't for our peanuts, you wouldn't have that.

And to think, some of your fans didn't even want that game.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    May 23, 2011 7:06 a.m.

@ little howie

Winner winner chicken dinner. Here's a medal for posting at > 10%

I thought BYU was to be insignificant, left in obscurity, etc. It's hilarious seeing you and your twin post on a BYUtv story. why bother if it bothers you that much.

Media envy gotcha bad! LOL

• rogerdpack Orem, UT
    May 23, 2011 6:59 a.m.

+1 for roku

• sammyg Springville, UT
    May 23, 2011 6:58 a.m.

KamUte

I can't wait to see replays of "Doink", the missed field goal attempt bouncing off the upright. Remember that one?

There's more classic plays for BYU than you guys in this rivalry. I bet some creative student will put together a nice collection of highlites that will run frequently during the season and it won't end there.

I bet Jimmer highlites with that 40' shot at the HC will be featured a lot on BYUtv too.

It's got to be tough being in the media shadows of BYU.

• Scoreboard Draper, UT
    May 23, 2011 6:25 a.m.

What Utefan123 failed to understand is that BYU isn't concerned about the casual fan tuning into BYUtv, just the BYU fan. As a result I will be able to watch 100% of our games on TV next year, so will the families and friends of each of the players. That's a huge recruiting advantage that BYU has over the utes.

BYU coaches can tell a recruit that 100% of his games can be seen on national TV, while Ute coaches can tell recruits that thanks to the generosity of BYU, they'll get at least ONE game a year on national TV and because of their Pac 10+2 TV deal maybe another one regionally broadcast on Fox Sports Northwest or Versus or F/X or who knows where.

Also, ESPN made Jimmer an overnight sensation. Being an ESPN partner was a huge advantage in elevating Jimmer to rockstar status and BYU coaches can sell recruits they could be the next Jimmer while ute coaches can promise recruits they can toil in relative obscurity as a small market bottom feeder in the Pac10+2.

Rock Star or blackhole? The choice is pretty easy.

• Wynn and lose Cougarville, Ut
    May 22, 2011 11:21 p.m.

Howard:

We are all impressed with your knowledge of all things TV. Speaking of which, what channel do you plan on watching the Utes this year?...

• BYU DUDE Provo, UT
    May 22, 2011 11:21 p.m.

Howard and Hedgie

First Jimmer sucks all the oxygen out of you Utah fans, and then BYUtv and BYUs TV contract with ESPN.!!!

Being buried alive in the Pac 10 + 2 must be Suffocating. Don"t worry BYU will pump a little oxygen your way.

BYU put together a token ESPN game just so Utah can get on National TV.

Utah When you fall down and scrape your knee this BYU fan will be there to pick U up.

I do wish Utah well, it is good for the State of Utah and Good for the University and the students at the U.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    May 22, 2011 9:55 p.m.

@Duckhunter

"Yawwwwwnnnnnn.."
    *********

I'm with ya man... ute"fan" 123 thinks its noteworthy that Dick stretches the truth?

Big Whoop... what else is new.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 22, 2011 9:49 p.m.

@howie and wedgie

You both sound extremely desperate to prove something. Not sure what it is but you are both desperate to do it. No worries though since basicly none of utahs games will be televised this year I fully expect you both to be watching all of BYU's games, which of course will be televised, looking for a score update on the bottom of the screen. LOL

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 22, 2011 9:42 p.m.

@ute"fan"123

Yawwwwwnnnnnn.......

• BYU/RSL Fan Provo, UT
    May 22, 2011 9:27 p.m.

Hey BYU haters (Howard S., UteFan, Hedgie),

Your obsession with BYU has "little brother" written all over it.

Your envy is showing!

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    May 22, 2011 9:05 p.m.

@Mountainman56

"I don't recall anything in this article or any comments claiming that BYU will have big ratings for every game."
    ************

May I consider this an admission that BYU's "vast national fan base" has always been a myth and that the fan base, such as it is, only shows up occasionally for high profile games?

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    May 22, 2011 9:03 p.m.

"We couldn't be happier to be back now in a formal partnership with ESPN and are looking forward to many great years ahead. It is truly remarkable to think that for the first time in BYU's history, every home football and men's basketball game will be televised live, nationwide, on either ESPN or BYUtv. (The year) 2011 will truly be an historic year for the Cougars and for Cougar fans regardless of where they live."

Historic indeed and 2011 is just the beginning of great things to come. The days of having to search for and find games or put up with the dreaded MTN are long gone. Nationwide fans no longer have to worry about how or if they will be able to view the games. With the combo of ESPN and BYUtv one couldn't ask for a much better tv deal, im really looking forward to the official move to independence in July.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 22, 2011 8:49 p.m.

"Well, shazam! How'd we pull the wool over them good ole boys at ESPN?!?!"

ESPN had the choice; Womens softball/bowling or BYU football. They paid only slightly higher for BYU football.

• Mountainman56 Alpine, UT
    May 22, 2011 8:48 p.m.

@ Howard S.

I don't recall anything in this article or any comments claiming that BYU will have big ratings for every game. Again, that isn't the point but thanks for your concern. Stay tuned and maybe you can bump up the ratings with your loyal viewership.

• ATC Stockton, CA
    May 22, 2011 8:20 p.m.

I am excited, I purchased DirectTV and had to buy the sports pack to watch BYU games on a horrible quality channel, but now I can switch back to Dish and watch any of the games no matter where I am.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    May 22, 2011 8:16 p.m.

@Mountainman56

"What was the rating for the Oklahoma game in Dallas? What do you think it will be for Miss., Texas and TCU this year?"
    ***********

I don't know. Maybe you can tell me.

But I can tell you this... if BYU delivers weak viewership for 6 bowl games in a row, it reflects an insignificant national fan base and not an occasional unattractive match up.

You can bet that the big boys of college football deliver the numbers every single game, not just occasionally... like the BYU.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    May 22, 2011 8:07 p.m.

@Y Grad / Y Dad

"Well, shazam! How'd we pull the wool over them good ole boys at ESPN?!?!"
    **********

Nothing to be surprised about YGYD -

ESPN paid peanuts for peanuts.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 22, 2011 7:56 p.m.

Well, shazam! How'd we pull the wool over them good ole boys at ESPN?!?! All those low rated bowls, yet ESPN is buying when all (sorry, some) Ute fans are saying Sell. Hmmmm.

Look, folks, if we don't put a highly competitive program on the field and on the floor, then we have all of the pieces kinda spinning their wheels. But anything is better than the MWC was, and as jimmermania showed, put the winners on the floor and the whole nation will watch.

I'm not overly shook up whether our tv deal is better than Utah's, or how much better being in the PAC may be than independence/WCC. I care about what happens on the field and on the floor, and right now we look to match up real well with U.

• Orem Parent Orem, UT
    May 22, 2011 7:54 p.m.

For BYU it isn't about the money. For Utah it is. I think both schools are getting what they had hoped for.

However, knowing the Utah legislature, my guess is that when the $$$ starts coming in for Utah, our legislators will find a way to decrease funding to the U by exactly that amount.

They'll do it in the name of lowering taxes for the good citizens of our state.

Mark it down!

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 22, 2011 7:50 p.m.

"The 2009 Vegas Bowl pulled a 2.48 tv rating
    The 2008 Vegas Bowl pulled a 2.50 tv rating
    The 2007 Vegas Bowl pulled a 2.48 tv rating
    The 2006 Vegas Bowl pulled a 1.97 tv rating
    The 2005 Vegas Bowl pulled a 2.40 tv rating"

I would suspect the elite teams (i.e. Texas, ND, Florida ect) that the tds claim they can "hang" with have trip the ratings no matter the bowl or the competition.

• Mountainman56 Alpine, UT
    May 22, 2011 7:47 p.m.

@Howard S.

What was the rating for the Oklahoma game in Dallas? What do you think it will be for Miss., Texas and TCU this year? There have been and will be games that get great ratings and games that don't - so what? The point is that every game will be available for those that want to watch and with more wins and more exposure, more viewership will follow. I'm betting that you'll be one who tunes in regularly. Thanks in advance for your support!

• JapanCougar Apo, AP
    May 22, 2011 7:35 p.m.

I watched the BYU v Utah State game on BYUtv on my computer last Fall and it was Awesome! The picture quality was great even though it was on a computer screen. I haven't yet gotten addicted to HD like some of the rest of you. I'm just happy to get the games live around the world, even in regular definition.

• GilmerTexasCougar Gilmer, TX
    May 22, 2011 7:27 p.m.

My local telephone company's cable service has carried BYUTV for a long time, so it's going to be fantastic this fall to watch all the BYU football games. We will be in hog heaven here in Northeast Texas. Back in the old days I spent a lot of nights in my car trying to pick up KSL so I could hear the BYU game. I'm thrilled with this new opportunity.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    May 22, 2011 7:01 p.m.

@JDL and MichiganCoog

You both suggest that the 2010 New Mexico Bowl viewership may have been down because is wasn't a favorable match up.

Wow, that is the first time I've every heard Cougars allude to the fact that the BYU may have a bandwagon fan base.

But whatever....

Let's look at some additional facts...

The 2009 Vegas Bowl pulled a 2.48 tv rating
    The 2008 Vegas Bowl pulled a 2.50 tv rating
    The 2007 Vegas Bowl pulled a 2.48 tv rating
    The 2006 Vegas Bowl pulled a 1.97 tv rating
    The 2005 Vegas Bowl pulled a 2.40 tv rating

Seems the BYU fan base has been MIA for sometime now.

But don't worry, when BYU is on BYUtv everyday along with the "Food Nanny" I'm sure the fan base will turn out in epic "Big Deal" proportions.

.... or not....

• stampederus Ephraim, UT
    May 22, 2011 6:47 p.m.

When BYU football and basketball games were televised over the Mountain West Sports Network, I, with other fans turned down the TV volume and followed the game on KSL Radio and the Cougar Sports Network for a much more entertaining experience by listening to the "Voice of the Cougars", Greg Wrubell. It appears we will still have that opportunity over BYU Radio.

• FanofBYU American Fork, UT
    May 22, 2011 6:44 p.m.

Dear UteFan,

Down the road you will make 21 million but you are not going to be making remotely that amount of money for the next three years. That is fact. Now, you should be thankful that your Utes will make a nice paycheck thanks to BYU. Financially, Utah is going to have to depend on merchandise and ticket sales. The challenge for Utah this year is that Utah is not going to make any money from your basketball team and the funds will be extremely limited in football.

Hold on the for the next three years and things will be good. Of course, it will take another 2-3 years to make up for the lack of funds at first but Utah is looking at this as a long-term investment.

Meanwhile, BYU is also looking at Independence as a long-term investment. In the end, both schools will probably wind up making the same amount of money over the next 10 years. And in the end, both schools will be better off than they were in the MWC.

• BronxCougar Bronx, New York
    May 22, 2011 6:29 p.m.

I am extremely excited that I'll be able to pick up the BYU games in NYC this year. Listening to the KSL radio stream works, but watching will be so much better.

@Bluto I'm also happy for the Utes and their new affiliation. I grew up by RES and there are lots of great people who are Ute fans. I don't understand why Cougar fans have to try tear down the Utes to celebrate our own good fortune. If their fans want to do that, great, but we needn't do it. Stay classy Cougs!

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    May 22, 2011 5:51 p.m.

Missionarys will get tons more baptisms with all this exposure

• MichiganCoog Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 22, 2011 5:45 p.m.

...as for Utah's coming season...1 game on National TV thanks to BYU, and nothing else (yet)...Guess who will come out ahead on that comparison??? Certainly not Utah. Heck the Mountain at least put Utah on the national TV for some viewers...Utah is taking a step backwards joining the PAC10.2, at least for the next couple of years until the cash starts flowing in. But don't hold your breath. A face plant out of the gates with a green offense could hurt Utah for years to come as far as seeing them on TV. Ask yourself this, outside of their grudge match w/ Washington at the end of each year, how many times did anyone see WSU on TV? If Utah goes 1-2 to start this coming season, you can bet that no TV slots will come up for Utah later in the season...especially if they lose big to both USC and BYU...a real possiblility...

• MichiganCoog Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 22, 2011 5:39 p.m.

Howard buddy,

No kidding dude, who would have wanted to watch a couple of 6-6 teams square off...Now, when you consider a much improved BYU this coming fall, that very well could win 10 games (or more) while playing most of their games on National TV, 4 of which (so far) are on ESPN or ESPN2; with possibility for 2-3 more on top of that, could be a huge improvement in ratings. Look at what Jimmermania did during this past B-ball season for BYU nationally...As stated recently that the BYU-Florida match up in the sweet 16 this past March was the 2nd most viewed game during the entire tourney...Think what a successful inagural trip into Independence can do for BYU's brand on the football side of the equation...thanks to Mr. Fredette.

Consider what a successful run by Mr. Heaps over the next 3 years will do to BYU's notoriety....they haven't even played any games yet, and the biggies are already lining up to play BYU down the road(i.e. Nebraska, Wisconsin, Penn State) as rumor has it. Utah? yeah, $21million in 3 years is great, but...

• UteFan123 Sandy, UT
    May 22, 2011 5:30 p.m.

@DuckHunter Bluto, JDL
    Tough Pill to swallow $21 million + for Utah $4 million for BYU.
    The deal accomplishes three things for the conference which are increasing revenue, getting more exposure for the Pac-12 network, and to provide an outlet to broadcast non-revenue sports.
    Under the deal FOX and ESPN will split showing the football games which will be shown on ABC, FOX, Fox Sports, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, FX. All mens game will be shown on ESPN.
    This is where the other conferences failed. The PAC will keep all revenue for the PAC-12 network and will also launch a digital network to show games online that arent on ESPN or Fox. Larry Scott is partnering with Google and Apple and will have an IPAD and Iphone apps which will launch before football.

Speaking to Larry Scott USC,UCLA, and the other school have seen the value of staying in the conference if not they would have already bolted. ND is losing money even though they signed a $15million contract this is only $1.875 million per game. Plus they signed away their broadcasting right. The same thing that Texas did which can limit distribution.

• JDL Magna, UT
    May 22, 2011 5:30 p.m.

Howard:

Is that the best you can do in your obsession with all things BYU?

The game was a daytime game on the 15th of December in, of all places Albuquerque New Mexico. It pitted two, six and six teams, one of the worst seasons for BYU in 35 years. I'll admit, it wasn't an exciting match up for me but I still would have watched it had I not turned the cable TV off because of the recession.

Your argument is really weak but if you look to the south I know you will see the bright glow of the BYU spotlight as it illuminates the South end of the Valley and it is moving quickly toward Taylorsville and ultimately to the u.

And to answer your question, "Where is the "Big Deal" viewership for every football and basketball game going to come from if the LDS viewership doesn't even show up for an ESPN bowl game?"

From all the non LDS fans who's teams are playing BYU and those who hate BYU like Howard S. even if it is hoping BYU looses.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    May 22, 2011 4:46 p.m.

@Bluto

"Every BYU game, Football and Basketball, will be on National TV."
    ************

Bluto my friend, the 2010 New Mexico Bowl pulled a tv rating of 2.11 (26th among the 35 bowl games).

That's about 2.3 million viewers.

There are 6 million LDS in the country, so considering that some of those viewers were New Mexico fans, a lot of LDS didn't bother to watch an ESPN bowl game featuring BYU.

• Chris Degn Seoul, Korea
    May 22, 2011 4:42 p.m.

Armed Forces Network (AFN) does show a lot of ESPN games to our troops overseas. Let's hope some of this new broadcasting output will make it to us! Please don't forget us BYU fans in uniform. Hopefully, the iPhone/iPad apps will work in WiFi hot spots over here, but my goal is to see BYU play on my big screen here on AFN. Go Cougars!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 22, 2011 4:33 p.m.

Hmmm ute "fans" desperately trying to downgrade what this is and what it means. No surprise there. LOL

Of course as BYU says this isn't about $. BYU has $, all they need, plus a backer with pretty much unlimited pockets. Any money BYU pulls from this is purely a bonus. What is happening here is that BYU fans all over the country, and all over the world, will be able to watch BYU sports in unprecedented volume. They will be able to turn on their tv sets in Provo, L.A., Seattle, Chicago, Miami, San Jose and every in between will be able to watch their games and matches. If others happen to watch them then so much the better. I am sure fans of the schools they are competing against will be watching.

This really will be fantastic. More exposure than probably any other school in the country has for more sports. ute "fans" can deride it, but there is nothing they can do to stop it. It is happening and it is big.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    May 22, 2011 4:01 p.m.

@Howard S

You and everyone else are about to see the "Big Deal" when every, "let that sink in", Every BYU game, Football and Basketball, will be on National TV.

Recruits also will see it for the Big Deal it is.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    May 22, 2011 3:27 p.m.

JimBobb it is called $$$$. DirectTV and Dish want $$$$, more than BYU most likely is willing to pay at this time.

Dear Utefan: I quote from the article; "It remains to be seen how BYU can monetize sports on BYUtv and how many viewers will actually tune in. But if you don't build a bridge, you can't expect traffic, and this is all about traffic and eyeballs, not money, we are told." I think that was addressed. Read before commenting. Please read the story carefully. You might not get all of the answers you want, but BYU is fully aware that they need to find some way to get non BYU fans to tune in.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    May 22, 2011 3:00 p.m.

It seems to me that Dick is overplaying this so called "partnership" between BYUtv and ESPN.

It if understand correctly ESPN has purchased the rights to a certain number of BYU games each year and BYUtv gets to rebroadcast those games.

Beyond that, BYUtv broadcasts any game they want plus classic BYU games that were originally broadcast by ESPN.

That's it? That's all there is to it?

If I may be so bold as to say... "Big Deal..."

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    May 22, 2011 2:56 p.m.

UteFan123
    "Why would Texas, or any other BCS school address independence?"

Here is something that came from somebody in the BYU decision-making process over this whole independence thing:

"The contract with ESPN only has a guaranteed minimum, but will grow each year as the schedule strengthens....

BYU's officials have been in close discussions with Texas, Florida, Ohio St., Notre Dame, ect. They all want the same type of deal with ESPN, but want to see how BYU works with ESPN on scheduling and how the contracts play out. According to the source, mega-conferences aren't the thing of the future. Independence will be the thing of the future."

The Big East seems very interested in adding BYU (all the BE fans are excited about it, too), but BYU will likely reject the invitation if it comes. This independence thing is working out better than we originally thought it would. Besides, the BCS may not be around much longer (or AQ status for conferences), so staying independent will likely be a better move in the long run. Why join a BCS conference if the conference loses AQ status in a few short years?

• FanofBYU American Fork, UT
    May 22, 2011 2:11 p.m.

A couple points to make.
    1. Texas is watching very closely what BYU is doing. And yes, several others are watching as well. In addition to the schools mentioned, you can add Florida and Alabama as well. The reason these teams are so interested is because they know full well that they are the lions in their leagues and they don't appreciate the fact that all the cubs are taking money from them. In addition, they want more control. If BYU is successful with this endeavor you will see these other teams follow suit.

2. BYU does need to figure out how to fund this long term. They don't need to be profitable, just cover their costs. With that, they could offer very cost effective advertising to companies like PepsiCo to promote Sierra Mist, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, etc. They could include ads at no Add'l cost for the Internet broadcasts. Once you get one good nat'l company, it is easier to get others. This will also lend more credibility to this endeavor.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    May 22, 2011 1:26 p.m.

We want to see the 1990 bowl game against Texas a&m on BYU tv. I don't believe it has ever been replayed on KBYU. How about a replay of of any of BYU's losses? Would get more viewers.

• Mrclark Leesburg, VA
    May 22, 2011 1:09 p.m.

BYUtv already is beta testing a Roku app (it is awesome - tons of games, shows, etc all VOD).

I suspect they are building out the infrastructure so that roku, ipad, ipod, android, etc all use a similar backend and just have a slightly different interface.

• ocmyhome Provo, Ut
    May 22, 2011 12:57 p.m.

BYUtv mentioned previously that they were working on an android app as well. Did Harmon simply omit this from the article or has BYUtv all together dropped plans on making an android app??

• JDL Magna, UT
    May 22, 2011 11:32 a.m.

UteFan123
    "Why would Texas, or any other BCS school address independence?"

The answer is, because their brands are big enough to sustain them. When other schools saw what BYU accomplished it raised some eyebrows and is still raising eyebrows. For others it seems to be raising ire, like in Utah, because their brand is not one of the bigs.

BYU had the foresight to see the big picture and they planned accordingly.

Who knows, but there may someday be a defacto conference of independent champions with bowl associations of their own after Jan 1st, maybe even the Rose Bowl.

• dshelley Clovis, c
    May 22, 2011 11:10 a.m.

I am very excited about the promise of being able to view all of BYU's football next season. However, I have a concern that has not been mentioned in any of the discussions. This concern will not stop me from watching but it might affect some others.
    We all know that ESPN/ABC covers many games each Saturday. Many of those games are not televised to every region for free viewing. Those that are not are offered on ESPN GamePlan and cost the viewer more as a subscription item. I'm curious if some of BYUs games will be offered at this extra cost. Does anyone have any input on this?
    Either way, I will be watching every minute of every game.

• Wynn and lose Cougarville, Ut
    May 22, 2011 11:09 a.m.

@Utefan123:

If BYU can get this much exposure from Ute trolls, or "non BYU fans" to use your terminology, on an article about BYUtv, Im sure they can gain exposure with an HD channel that is in a basic subscription package.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    May 22, 2011 10:51 a.m.

Looks like UteFan123 is getting a little nervous.

This is going to be a bitter pill to swallow for the Utes.
    Independent BYU is the one getting the Exposure, while Utes wallow
    in Washington St. and Vanderbilt type Obscurity.

BYU....
    *All games on National TV
    *ESPN partnering on scheduling and promotion
    *BYU lining up Storied Programs all accross the Nation.
    *BYU pioneering the way for others to follow.

Texas consulted with BYU, made trips to Provo, as they studied and then implemented their own Netrwork.

What concerns Ute fans, is that when storied progrmas, USC, Oregon, Stanford, ASU etc. embrace this New Model, Utah will find out that the Coat-Tailing others achievements through Conference Alignmeent, will be outmoded.

Teams will have to depend on their "Own" Brand and Cache.

In the Big-12 they have already come to this conclusion. Texas and Oklahoma receive double the TV revenues as does a K-State, Baylor, Iowa St. etc.
    And Texas will reap an additional 18 million per season from their own Network.

The pac 10.2 is slow on this new trend, because Collective/Socialism still plays very well there, USC and UCLA be first to follow the new-order..

• UteFan123 Sandy, UT
    May 22, 2011 9:40 a.m.

JDL
    Why would Texas, or any other BCS school address independence. The other item that BYU admin are concerned about are travel costs, finding quality opponents to play on a weekly basis, season tickets renewal are down due to their home schedule.

Texas will not address independence any time soon they already have the best of both worlds a conference with several rivals, teams that they can schedule in close proximity and they do not have to go to the lower tier non AQ teams to schedule. ESPN is paying Texas $300 million over the next 20 years for the privilege of distributing their network.

I think Dick is stretching the truth a little there.

• hoyacougar Arlington, VA
    May 22, 2011 9:20 a.m.

While it will be great to see all of the BYU games, I hope you/we can get dish network to add BYUtv hd soon. Jimbobb is right that the current picture (and sound) quality is not so great.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    May 22, 2011 9:09 a.m.

I hope BYUtv makes apps available for RoKu and other devices that stream content from the web to the TV.

I use a cable service called SkyAngle that connects to my wireless router and streams a limited number of channels. About the only thing I don't get that I really want is BYUtv. I have asked them many times to add BYUtv to their line up. The company is controlled by people of another faith, a faith that is very critical of the LDS church.

Roku is my means of getting BYUtv without having to pay for an expensive cable service.

• Orem Parent Orem, UT
    May 22, 2011 9:08 a.m.

Something that gets lost is that last line...

It isn't about money it is about exposure.

BYU has all the money it is going to need.

As for picture quality, it is being broadcast in HD online. It is only a matter of time before Dish and Direct come on board. Keep sending your emails to the people in charge and it will happen. The HD quality of the broadcasts is incredible.

Seems like BYU is making all the right decisions at all of the right times.

2011 - 2012 is going to be a great year to be a Cougar fan.

Thanks to all involved.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    May 22, 2011 8:46 a.m.

I won't be a happy camper until DirecTV picks up HD for BYU-TV.

Might have to spend more time at my son's, where he has Comcast.

Heh. Probably not a bad thing, but you'll have to ask him.

• Cougs4Life Gilbert, AZ
    May 22, 2011 8:41 a.m.

So let me get this straight...no matter where I live, or happen to be, all I need to do to get a BYU game in HD is find a wifi connection and hook my iPad up to an HD capable tv? I almost feel like the starving man that was just invited to an all-you-can eat 5 star restaurant! There isn't another university in the country that is doing anything like this...Go Cougs!

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    May 22, 2011 8:40 a.m.

jimbobb

did you read the article?

WCC games were not in HD. They have not begun to broadcast all of it in HD. They will after June 30th.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    May 22, 2011 8:17 a.m.

I would like to welcome all the Utah fans to watch BYU this fall except for the two times they will be able to see the Utes play on TV in the PAC 10+2.

• Mountainman56 Alpine, UT
    May 22, 2011 8:09 a.m.

Great article. This is ground breaking and trend setting and is exactly why BYU needed to get out of the MWC.

@jimbobb Patience my friend. With what has already been announced, BYU is light years ahead of any other university in the country in it's sports broadcasting capabilities. HD on satellite and more cable outlets will come. In the mean time, just having the opportunity to see or hear all of these events without sitting in the car late at night trying to tune in KSL or going to the stake center to try to hook up the satellite feed, is fantastic. I spent 22 years in California doing just that and now, wherever Cougar fans live, their options are infinitely better than they have ever been before.

• Jarobusa Saratoga Springs, UT
    May 22, 2011 8:08 a.m.

When will Dish get BYUtv in HD? Plus a Android tablet version for live streaming.

• Laser Iowa City, IA
    May 22, 2011 7:59 a.m.

awesome! Already tons better than the MW sports network.

• JDL Magna, UT
    May 22, 2011 7:50 a.m.

In the article, Dick Harmon said,

"I asked the director to expound on BYU's broadcast partner ESPN as an independent, an arrangement many BCS schools are studying carefully."

This is the most interesting sentence in this whole article, I would like to know which of the BCS schools are CAREFULLY studying it. My guess from past statements and rumblings is that USC, Texas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska are four of the big ones.

• Coyoteghost Saint George, UT
    May 22, 2011 7:40 a.m.

I am absolutely thrilled that BYU sports will be back in our lives. My family lived for twenty years in the Provo area where we attended wrestling, volleyball, rugby, football and basketball games. Then we moved to Southern Utah, which virtually cut off all viewing of BYU sports connections.

Welcome back BYU. Go Cougars!

• bbzebra Sandy, UT
    May 22, 2011 7:36 a.m.

jimbobb,

Give it a chance. It is just starting, and it is already better than what we had with The Mountain. I am considering getting rid of my satellite dish and just watch on BYUtv over the air and on ESPN3.com . That'll save me $100 a month.

• UteFan123 Sandy, UT
    May 22, 2011 7:31 a.m.

What you failed to address Dick is the biggest concern BYU admin have moving to independence and moving to BYUtv. Is the casual fan and voters going to turn to BYUtv to watch BYU sports when they are not on ESPN? Will it be like they are still on the MWC network. Just because they have their own network does not mean the non BYU fan, casual fan, and voter is going to turn to BYUtv to watch.

• Cosmo Springville, UT
    May 22, 2011 6:10 a.m.

This living-out-of-state BYU fan is very happy that he can now enjoy all this BYU content online or on my basic cable package.

Thank you!

• Tom Smith Sandy, UT
    May 22, 2011 5:25 a.m.

Oregon has been out of the BYU broadcasting loop for years (if it ever was in the loop). This is exciting news as Oregon anticipates access to more sports programming from BYU.

• jimbobb Modesto, CA
    May 22, 2011 1:47 a.m.

It all sounds great and I'm very appreciative of what is taking place but...
    untill picture quality is better (HD) not much better than the Mountain network. I watched a few games that they covered at the WCC basketball tournament and same old problem with no HD. I wish you would have addresed the real issue with BYU TV which is why won't Dish or Direct give us a HD channel.

• Florwood American Fork, UT
    May 22, 2011 12:27 a.m.

Don't have cable or satellite, but I love over the air HD from BYU TV, looking forward to more events in their program schedule.

• Winglish Lehi, UT
    May 21, 2011 11:44 p.m.

I'm more excited for the coming year than I've been in a long time. I'm so glad to be rid of the ridiculous search for BYU games that I might or might not have with one company or the other. This ESPN and BYUtv partnership appears to be exactly what I've been hoping for!

• Y4LYFE Lubbock, TX
    May 21, 2011 11:37 p.m.

Impressive stuff. Keep up the Winning!!