Sports

Jimmer Fredette impresses at NBA combine

Comments

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    May 21, 2011 7:44 p.m.

The Rabbit (in Spanish) | 10:56 a.m. May 20, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    It is hard to understand how the consensus National Player of the Year. The BEST player in all of college basketball, could possibly be considered to be NOT one of the top NBA draft picks. Would the Heisman trophy winner ever NOT be considered in the top 10? It is a valid comparison.

I know, I know. He supposedly can't play defense. Quick, name the last 3 defensive players of the year in the NBA. I bet you can't but I bet you could name many, many players you watch who could score!
    =======

Are you serious ? the last 10 years it's been 4 or 5 guys - Camby, Howard, Garnett, Wallace and Artest. Am I close ?

And no, he can't play defense in the NBA - YET. But the improvements in his game year over year show HE CAN LEARN and HE AIN'T DONE LEARNING. I like this guy's chances, a lot and I'm no rah-rah for him - I was serious doubter early. He has to step it up 2 levels on Defense though.

• Tommy2Shoes Lehi, UT
    May 21, 2011 1:08 a.m.

Plenty of defense played in the NBA during the playoffs. Jimmer will need to prove he can defend if he wants significant playing time. BYU played a lot of zone while NBA plays a lot of man to man. Jimmer will have to be guarded due to his insane range, sag off to help and he'll make you pay. I predict he'll go in the mid teens. The Jazz won't take him because they don't need him. NY or Boston would be right for the Jimmer.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    May 20, 2011 11:01 p.m.

Glad to see I'm not alone in believing in The Jimmer.

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    May 20, 2011 8:52 p.m.

Great to hear, it comes as no surprise, Jimmer is gonna be a very nice additon to whichever team drafts him. He just continues to prove naysayers wrong as he has done his entire life. Its a shame that some cannot see the talent that he has or they choose to overlook it. Those teams who pass on him will end up regretting it.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2011 8:43 p.m.

I guess BYU feels abit foolish right about now....

• goodDr. sandy, UT
    May 20, 2011 8:42 p.m.

I predict he will go between picks 4-7. Oh my! Those numbers combine to equal the whooping he threw down at the Huntsman (errr, Marriott center north) this last year on the Utes.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2011 7:32 p.m.

Al Fredette, Jimmer's dad, tells the New York Post that Jimmer and the New York Knicks "are a match made in heaven."

All you Jimmer lovers who think the Jazz should use their number 3 pick on him need to consider the question "What makes you think Jimmer wants to play for the Jazz?"

• gchris rock springs, wy
    May 20, 2011 6:55 p.m.

Jimmer's defense will surprise his critics. He is too strong, too athletic and too hard a worker not to be a good if not great defender when it is part of his "job description." Usually overlooked is the fact that Jimmer is #4 all-time in steals at BYU. He didn't steal all those balls sitting back in the zone. The team that drafts him, and I wouldn't expect the Jazz brass to be that smart, will get instant offense, acceptable defense and "box office" appeal. Is the NBA anything else?

• JP Chandler, AZ
    May 20, 2011 6:21 p.m.

GVBrydog, I can't tell if you were being serious or if you were just mocking all the Jimmerites. Comparing Jimmer to Jordan??? Wow. The top pick in this draft will be lucky to ever be an All Star.

• OU812 Layton, UT
    May 20, 2011 6:09 p.m.

HaHa, so now the comparisons to Jordan. Man the blue kool-aid is flowing.

• ram Saint George, UT
    May 20, 2011 5:28 p.m.

Captain L

you are right the jazz need to get rid of bell but to think minnesota would be that dumb i don't think so. I do agree with an ealier post that jimmer could be a player like jj berea of mavs. i also hope we can somehow get williams at the 3rd pick but we will have to give up more than bell

• defibman Syracuse, UT
    May 20, 2011 5:00 p.m.

Let's see, how many ute players are in the draft this year? That's what I thought! I hear that they plan on building a fence around the HC to try to keep this years players from running away to other schools. I look forward to another decade of train wrecks up on the hill.

• GVBrydog Riverton, Utah
    May 20, 2011 4:56 p.m.

The Jazz need to draft Jimmer using the number 3 choice. If they do not and lose him before the 12th pick, they might as well sell the team, because it will fail in this small market without the support that Jimmer will bring. He is also the best player available in the draft, would have you pasted up Michael Jordan?

• DD JayMario American Fork, UT
    May 20, 2011 3:52 p.m.

There's no way Jimmer is available at #12. Same thing happened to Tim Tebow. There's so much uncertainty in the draft, teams will take a chance on a guy who will put fans in their arenas.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    May 20, 2011 3:40 p.m.

Wingspan greater than height is a good thing and kind of the norm for guys coming into the NBA but Hayward was only slightly more than his hieght.

• therush Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2011 3:38 p.m.

"Most of the NBA'ers don't play defense (you ever actually watch a NBA game)..."

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Let me guess, you're one of those people who thinks they play defense in college. Newsflash, it just looks like that because 99% of college players are straight garbage.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    May 20, 2011 3:32 p.m.

Locke just posted that Kanter blew off the Jazz and a few other teams, when it came to interviews, classless, now we need to find a way to get Williams with our pick, Williams sounded good, said the right things, wants to play the 3. We need to get him. Maybe Minn. would trade us the 2 pick for #3 & Bell. That would fit our needs and they wanted Bell last year. Then at 12 we could get Jimmer, if not Jimmer than Singleton or Biyombo. I'm not that impressed with Walker or Knight, things can change with more info but right now, I like Jimmer better than either one.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    May 20, 2011 3:11 p.m.

Len Elmore (combine panel) certainly had high praise and confidence in Jimmer as an NBA point guard. And, most of his points made sense. He and others all agreed you can be taught to be a PG; it's not inborn.

Hey, a wingspan greater than your height is always a good thing in basketball, isn't it? And, Jimmer's is 3.25" more than his actual height.

This might help explain how he can be among the career steals leaders at BYU--opponents aren't aware of his extended reach for someone his size (6'2.5" in gym shoes). He's similar in height with more weight than John Stockton (6'1" & 175 lbs). Stockton couldn't make it in the NBA, either, right? Duh.

What better defense can you play on a guy than to steal the ball from him? Come on haters, quit with the "Jimmer can't play defense" bit. Rings hollow.

And, just because a coach in college downplays your defense, doesn't mean coaches would do so in the Pros. No need with so many competent scorers on an NBA team.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2011 2:56 p.m.

"...some of you are getting way too high on him. You might be disappointed in the draft, his performance on the court or both."

And some of you are going to be shocked at just how good Jimmer is going to be in the NBA.

College recruiters had the same light regard for Jimmer coming out of high school even though Jimmer was a prolific scorer in NY prep basketball. Only Dave Rose and Siena were prescient enough to recognize Jimmer's potential.

The same type of thing is happening by some NBA analysts, but there are certain to be a couple of GMs out there who recognize Jimmer's potential and who are crossing their fingers and downplaying Jimmer's abilities in hopes of having a few teams ahead of them pass on Jimmer.

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2011 2:31 p.m.

Sorry Tom in CA.

Didn't read your entire post.

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2011 2:26 p.m.

ken, tom in ca, bigutefan

Giving up 47 points to TCU and Jimmer has really gotten under your skin hasn't it?

Big East teams didn't bother recruiting Jimmer, even though he was right in their backyard. They blew it.

If Jimmer is available at #12 and the Jazz fail to draft him, they'll regret it.

Regardless of his perceived weaknesses on defense, Jimmer is a relentless scorer who can be a game changer bombing deep threes, driving the lane for short pullup jumpers, or going all the way to rim, ala J.J. Berea.

Remember how many times Derek Fisher ripped the hearts out of Jazz fans with late threes. Jimmer could be that player for the Jazz, but with even deeper range.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    May 20, 2011 2:00 p.m.

TJ:

You didn't read my post, did you.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 20, 2011 1:41 p.m.

WhatsInItForMe,

Stockton-like? I don't think so. Stockton was a fierce defender and even Jimmer himself acknowledges he has a lot to prove on the defensive end of the court. One of the links in this article deals with the defensive weakness Fredette has shown and quotes Jimmer as saying his coach didn't require him to play defense in order to keep him out of foul trouble and to save his energy for offense. Wow, that's a problem when it comes to the NBA. How can you sell yourself as a complete player, when you've spent your whole college career laying off on defense. I want to see Jimmer do well, but some of you are getting way too high on him. You might be disappointed in the draft, his performance on the court or both.

• Kaha Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2011 1:30 p.m.

To: ringolikesferrets | 12:37 p.m

How many of those 6 were underclassmen who stayed on to play another year in college?

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    May 20, 2011 1:30 p.m.

Jimmer is going to do fine in the NBA. The real question is who should the Jazz draft?

The Euros are likely to stay in Europe with a hard cap and a weak $. They can not afford to come over. Picking them is risky unless you want to park a pick (not a lotto pick).

MN is very likely to trade the 2 pick and Flynn for a proven PG (and ?). They do not need Williams nor do they want a young PG who is not NBA ready. They are not likely to get Rubio before the draft in a lock out year with a new CBA/hard cap.

Who the Jazz pick at 3 determine IF the Jazz seriously consider Jimmer.

The leader board is going to move a lot as the workouts develop. Teams are going to move up/down to get the player they want or they are going to cut draft night deals and have other teams select for them.

Jimmer may or may not be the best pick available for the Jazz at 12. A lot will happen before that decision gets made.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 20, 2011 1:14 p.m.

ken, tom in ca, bigutefan.
    Who kicked your trikes in the ditch? You have been wrong about Jimmer for years. I am guessing you will be again. Are you still angry about the bombs he dropped on your team? Normally I would just chalk up your comments to being jealous and obsessed Yners. I will have to add that you have solidified your place in the not-to-bright category with your posts on this article.

• bigutefan Las Vegas, NV
    May 20, 2011 1:01 p.m.

This draft class is being ranked as the worst class in over a decade. So with that in mind, and all the top talent skipping the combine, I am sure the ncaa ball hog of the year was impressive. But compared to what? Being picked #20 in the worst draft class in a decade is not saying much. The only person who should be concerned is Kevin Kruger, who may have competition now for NBA D-league player of the year.

• ringolikesferrets Layton, UT
    May 20, 2011 12:37 p.m.

Rabbit--6 out of the last 20 Heisman Trophy winners weren't even drafted in the first round (let alone the top ten picks) so, no, it's not a valid comparison.

• jn3792 Ann Arbor, MI
    May 20, 2011 12:33 p.m.

Some people have a hard time setting aside their biases and being objective. BYU coaches may have told Jimmer to hold off on defense, but the following is still true - he has not *shown* that he can play defense at the college level, much less the NBA. This is a huge potential liability and represents a gamble that some NBA team is going to make.

People who say he is a pure shooting guard are also wrong. He has the ability to create space and penetrate as well. He also seems to have a strong work ethic, which can't hurt.

At worst, he is a role player who can hit a three when needed. At best, I seem him having an Andre Miller type of career.

Oh, and props to the earlier commenter who admitted that his wife is knitting him a Jimmer blanket. I guess this is OK to admit in anonymous circles, but I wouldn't make it known to friends and associates.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    May 20, 2011 12:23 p.m.

"I'm guessing early second round, sit bench for 2 years, and go live the dream of starting for a Euro team."

Ken - you can just keep guessing.

The 49 big ones he laid on utah is still burning under your skin, isn't it. My only regret about that game is Rose pulled him with over 5 minutes to play. He could have easily scored 55.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    May 20, 2011 11:51 a.m.

Ken

On what basis do you make your prediction? Do you have a crystal ball?

No. I thought so.

You have no idea where he will get picked, what he will do, and where he will be in three years.

So, in fairness, I will make an equally silly prediction. . .

He will make the winning shot, from 40 feet away, in game 7 of the 2015 NBA finals after busting is head open on a drive in the 3rd quarter where he was fouled by Derrick Williams (who was thrown out of the game)who was just sick and tired of him scoring on him his entire life.

See I can do it too. Doesn't make it so.

• Kaha Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2011 11:45 a.m.

To: The Rabbit

I'm pretty sure the DPY honors have gone to Dwight Howard the past 3 years. Could be wrong though.

• greenman108 Petaluma, CA
    May 20, 2011 11:43 a.m.

I would pick him on my NBA team. I dont care whether he can cover my grandmother. I would want to run a play for him with 4 seconds to go. And we shall see this week how he does in the camp games, on defense. He may be able to cover the other tryout guys.

• Kaha Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2011 11:00 a.m.

I hope Jimmer's game translates to the NBA. I hated him when he was torching my Utes, but I believe he will be a solid pick above 10, regardless of draft strength. He can help any team by being a strong shooter coming off the bench.

• MurrayMike Murray, UT
    May 20, 2011 10:59 a.m.

@ Ken er, Chris B. er, Hedgehog;

Most of the NBA'ers don't play defense (you ever actually watch a NBA game) plus it's been out forever that when BYU lost Chris Collinsworth, that Coach Rose told him to back off defense, he didn't want Jimmer fouling out as the teams only true scoring option. Even if he is a poor defender, you can teach that. You cannot teach someone to make 25-30 footers, you eother have the ability or not. With Jimmer's wicked cross-over and ability to make it to the fould line and a 90% FT shooter, he's a shoo-in for at least a lottery pick prbly a 12 or 13 pick but even Minn is looking seriously at him at no.10

Oh and by the way, he will play in the NBA, and won't be delivering Pizza's like you.

• The Rabbit (in Spanish) Salt Lake City, UT
    May 20, 2011 10:56 a.m.

• Anonymous Infinity American Fork, UT
    May 20, 2011 10:52 a.m.

The Jazz ought to take the plunge and select Fredette at #3. The players they have taken high in the draft other than Darryl from Louisville have left the team, as in Deron, and they sold the human highlight film, Wilkins. The fact of the matter is there are no point guards in the league that can guard their counterpart, one on one. Take a look. Phoenix, Sacramento and New York shouldn't have a shot a Jimmer. PLEASE! Jimmer has character traits that very few NBA players have. The Jazz need him. Come on Jazz braintrust get with the program.

• unaffiliated_person Saratoga Springs, UT
    May 20, 2011 10:50 a.m.

All the negativity seems eerily familiar. If anyone recalls, no major program wanted him out of high school except BYU. He ended up first in the nation in scoring with numerous POY awards. I think the negativity may actually help him as it takes all the pressure off, just like when he started in college. No expected anything of him then...and they obviously don't now.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    May 20, 2011 10:43 a.m.

the draft is all about timing and positioning and a lot happens in those short minutes between drafts.

Saying where he goes is like predicting how he will do. There are too many factors and unknown variables.

If he gets with the right system, he'll be a star. If not, who knows.

For his sake, I hope he goes somewhere he fits, and they will let him succeed.

• Ken Sandy, UT
    May 20, 2011 10:19 a.m.

I've heard he could very well fall out of the first round into the second. His defense is too much of a concern, and he won't get all the calls like he did in college, meanings his free throw percentage doesn't mean much.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    May 20, 2011 10:15 a.m.

I love the naysayers...

Setting up POY Fredette to exceed expectations.

Also, the kid is not a Prima Dona.

A steal at 12.

• Hondo Springville, UT
    May 20, 2011 9:52 a.m.

I don't know when he'll get picked, but anything lower tahn 10 and I'd be disappointed. My wife is knitting me a quilt with Jimmer's name and number on it. She's going to leave the last corner until the end so she can knit the logo of the team that picks him and when they pick him.

Did you read the article, naysayers? He has impressed the scouts. If Chad Ford writes its as good as true, given that he is the only legitmate authority out there.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    May 20, 2011 9:45 a.m.

Chris O'Brien shows he doesn't know basketball, it seems.

How many PGs can guard other top PGs? VERY FEW! So, saying Jimmer can't be a PG if he can't guard other top NBA PGs is silly. Most NBA PGs can't guard each other effectively.

Didn't anyone notice what Corbin was doing with the Jazz defense near season's end? Very much TEAM-HELP oriented--not so much one-on-one defense. Hayward did a magnificent job on Kobe one-on-one, but it wasn't all just him. His team helped in ways that left Kobe with no alternatives at times.

Jimmer's defense, whatever it turns out to be, will fit just fine in Corbin's Jazz defensive scheme.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    May 20, 2011 9:44 a.m.

Walker and Irving might regret their non-participation in the combine if Jimmer shows well enough to move ahead of them in the draft.

I like what the SDSU players had to say about matching up with Jimmer vs Kemba. No contest! Jimmer's the tougher one to guard.

Right from the "horse's" mouth!!!

I'm amazed at how confused the "experts" are in their mock drafts about Jimmer. None yet think he's a single-digit draftee. That might work in the Jazz favor, except the Bucks have the 10th pick ahead of the Jazz 12th. Bummer.

Those who say Jimmer isn't an NBA PG didn't pay much attention to D-Will's game. HE is primarily a shooter and penetrator (like Jimmer), getting assists where he could. He didn't play like Stockton, where leading the team by getting assists first worked. Jimmer would. He's adaptable.

I see Jimmer being more Stockton-like, but with the added threat of being consistent with long-range jumpers, which will help his ability to get past the defender and set up his teammates. He didn't have that kind of team in college. Wicked crossover!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    May 20, 2011 9:30 a.m.

Whoever picks him will have a winner!