Utah

Big cash discovery leads to a lesson in honesty for new Bountiful homeowners

Comments

• crunchem Cedar City, Utah
    June 4, 2011 12:16 a.m.

this story will be included in my next priesthood lesson on honesty, or character, or......

• The Caravan Moves On Enid, OK
    May 22, 2011 2:21 p.m.

AWESOME!

What a good example of just because something is "legal" does NOT mean it's "moral".

I know a certain group of individuals who seem to be often getting confused on this...

Anyway, I commend you for returning the money and belongings!

• bobosmom small town, Nebraska
    May 22, 2011 10:22 a.m.

I was reading it in the local paper back here yesterday. Very wonderful of the family to return the money to the Bangeters. The story was almost 3/4 of the page. Had lots of pictures. There was even a 3 second bire on abc news about it. It is so refreshing to see such honesty in this world.

• washcomom Beaverton, OR
    May 20, 2011 11:49 a.m.

Honesty principle in action. So awesome!

• plyxply SLC, UT
    May 20, 2011 11:48 a.m.

we are surrounded by great people, thanks for the story.

• Alamo San Antonio, TX
    May 20, 2011 10:26 a.m.

I had hoped to see at the end of this great story, a note saying that to reward Mr. Ferrin for his honesty, the Bangerter family returned half of the found money to him. That would have been a perfect ending in my eyes.

• Less Is More Ogden, UT
    May 19, 2011 9:20 p.m.

Someone's mansion in heaven just got bigger...remarkable example of guiding principles in action. The amazing thing is that, by law the money was his! Legal isn't always ethical. Thanks for the inspiring story on a raining day!

• jeffcorry Orderville, Utah
    May 19, 2011 7:54 p.m.

Good for him!

• baddog Cedar Rapids, IA
    May 19, 2011 6:59 p.m.

I'd say it's more a lesson in honesty for the rest of the world. The family seems to have the lesson down just fine.

• katiefrankie Provo, UT
    May 19, 2011 5:30 p.m.

I remember sitting around the lunch table in high school (not all THAT long ago) discussing a similar topic with my friends: "If you found a wallet with money in it, what would you do?" My friends all said, "I'd keep some of it. After all, I deserve a 'reward' for even telling the owner about it. Then I'd call them and tell them to come get their wallet." The only two people at the table who said they would return the wallet with its contents intact and not expect, ask for, or accept a "reward" were me and my sister. We weren't brought up that way. It isn't my money, and honesty is rewarded in its own way, not with a payment in cash. I'd sure love a few extra bucks, but that isn't the way to go about it.

• Allen#1 West Valley, UT
    May 19, 2011 4:58 p.m.

To Linda A: The Government does NOT take 80 % of anyone's money. Top rate is now much lower than 40 % thanks to George W. Bush tax cut for the rich.

BTW, wouldn't it be heart warming if the Bangerters gave the honest man AT LEAST $ 5,000 for not keeping the money?

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    May 19, 2011 4:46 p.m.

@utesovertide/underallPAC12opponents: We were discussing honesty in the face of temptation -- not investing. See if you can stay on topic. :)

• HaveANiceDay Ogden, UT
    May 19, 2011 4:19 p.m.

After reading this story and all the comments I have come to a different conclusion than most of you.

This story is not about honesty, or covetousness, or how to invest money. It is about loving your neighbor as your self. This was an act of love.

• jles Bountiful, UT
    May 19, 2011 3:26 p.m.

We have lived near the Bangerters for nearly 20 years. They were wonderful people who were much loved in the community. No one who knew them is surprised that this money was hidden there.
    Ferrin family, you are amazing. Can't wait to get to know you!!!

• Weber State Graduate Clearfield, UT
    May 19, 2011 3:14 p.m.

The best part of this story is the teaching opportunity it provided to these young boys...our future leaders.

• jazzfanzz WB, UT
    May 19, 2011 3:00 p.m.

Thanks for the story. Made me think, what would I have done? I honestly don't know if I would have given it back. Thanks for the inspiration to be better.

• Most Truthful and Patriotic Layton, UT
    May 19, 2011 1:59 p.m.

Linda A: can you explain your comment "The government thanks you. They will be shortly to collect their 80%!!"

Unless this estate totalled more than one million dollars, there are no estate taxes. It's an inheritance that passes through the estate into the survivors.

• Reasonable Person Layton, UT
    May 19, 2011 1:56 p.m.

To Oh My Heck!

My parents came through the Depression and DO trust banks. They saved, like Mr Bangerter and took money to the bank after receiving every paycheck.

Now, they have $1.2 million dollars in various insured accounts (spread among high-rated banks). They are 91 and 92 years old.

They were more afraid of people breaking into their home, than of the banks.

THERE'S SOMETHING ELSE SAD ABOUT STORIES LIKE THIS:
    Because they're deemed newsworthy, it gives the impression that honesty is rare.
    In my experience, honesty is the rule.

• Older Reader Tooele, UT
    May 19, 2011 1:46 p.m.

What a fantastic lesson in honesty for all of us. I would hope most people would return it.

• Mayfair City, Ut
    May 19, 2011 1:44 p.m.

What a legacy of hard-saved cash for Mr. Bangerter to leave for his family.

And what a legacy of character for the Ferrin's to give to their sons.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    May 19, 2011 1:32 p.m.

Good for them!

• mecr Bountiful, UT
    May 19, 2011 12:44 p.m.

when the financial system cracks and suddenly you find out banks are closed, you can't cash your checks, cash bonds, 401K, cds, etc., and you can only buy groceries with the cash you have at hand, what are you going to do? People from the depression era learned the lesson the hard way. Church recommends to have not only food storage but some cash aside for this kind of emergency.

You would be amazed how church leaders gave that advise very strongly in some 3rd world countries and years or months later, it happened.

• utesovertide Salt Lake City, UT
    May 19, 2011 11:52 a.m.

@oldcougar

There is a huge difference between buying bonds, gold, or currencies and buying a lottery ticket, but thanks for playing.

• catfish987 Rexburg, ID
    May 19, 2011 11:51 a.m.

God tests us in so many ways, doesn't he?

• CB Salt Lake City, UT
    May 19, 2011 11:39 a.m.

Hope this makes the national news. A great lesson in honesty and the values this entire country use to adhere too.

• Linda A Orem, UT
    May 19, 2011 11:35 a.m.

The government thanks you. They will be shortly to collect their 80%!!

• mkSdd3 Ogden, UT
    May 19, 2011 11:20 a.m.

This family has more than honesty going for them.

The desire to stumble into a fortune is a part of many peoples fantasies. However there is a problem with that way of thinking. Getting something for nothing is not a healthy way of thinking. It is associated with greed and covetousness.

When we reap what we sow, when the gains we get are from hard work, we increase our self worth. When we get something for nothing it takes a little bit of our dignity away.

This family was not only honest, they did not let greed rule their decisions, or even let the money tempt them. I say good for them! They lost nothing but gained a lot from the experience.

• dueling banjos salt lake city, ut
    May 19, 2011 10:25 a.m.

now if all those grave robbers down south would have just thought the same. There would be a few more good men walking around...like this good man said " you can't let yourself think that way! Teach your children well!!

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    May 19, 2011 10:19 a.m.

I knew Arnold Bangerter. He was a fine man and dedicated to conservation. Maintained a "tight ship" at home. This story doesn't surprise me, although I would've expected him to spill the beans to his kids.

• justamacguy Manti, UT
    May 19, 2011 10:13 a.m.

Wow... What an answer to a question. I knew Arnold Bangerter very well. I worked with him for many years with the DWR. He was a great fisheries biologist who has a passion for his work. He was a nuts and bolts work on the ground sort of guy. His labors, experience and decisions were all make from his hands on work with the resource. No funny compute models... No conjecture. And besides being a hard worker, he was a friend. I was just thinking about him the other day and wondering what he was doing with himself... Now I know. R.I.P. Arnold. I'll be browsing your memories in my photo albums.

• Oh My Heck! Vernal, UT
    May 19, 2011 10:09 a.m.

To "Reasonable Person" and others who have commented about how the money should have been in the bank. People who lived during the Depression did not trust banks. Heck, sometimes I don't trust them, either, because the interest on money saved is practically nil. Granted, if the house had caught on fire, the money would have been lost. But I can understand why someone would want to have their money "in hand", so to speak, and available when needed. My parents, particularly mother, put away coins in a metal box. Some of them were silver dollars, others not silver, but "interesting" to her, such as the Kennedy half dollars. After mom passed away, I received one of her jewelry boxes with mostly odds and ends of jewelry in it that were important to her, but under the top shelf was a small compartment with a few silver dollars and other coins in it. I will keep them there, because they remind me of mom.

Great lesson learned by the children of this family. So glad to know there are still honest people in the world!

• Dadof8 Pleasant Grove, UT
    May 19, 2011 10:09 a.m.

My Dad had a bag of silver dollars that he had collected over the years hidden in our attic next to the furnace. We all knew they were there. When he passed and we were moving out we looked all over the attic for them. Then my mother remembered she had called a repairman to come and look at the furnace shortly after Dad had passed. She even commented to the man she had just lost her husband. Hope he enjoyed the money.....

• David B. Cedar City, UT
    May 19, 2011 9:42 a.m.

All I can say about this story is that this family is a class act to follow! Some people may not have ever revealed this kind of find. Good story for all to follow.

• carminaburana Provo, UT
    May 19, 2011 9:35 a.m.

The dad told his boys:"he was saving it for his family not for ours".

My husband's employee found bags of old coins while working at an old man's home. My husband was in the same kitchen working so he took them to the old man and have him count the items. He wasn't one bit worried about any missing. His greedy son, who was in our ward, came to my home and told my husband that he feared his dad's life now that we knew about the coins and if "anything happened to the coins he would suspect my husband's honesty". Jerk

• VocalLocal Salt Lake, UT
    May 19, 2011 9:34 a.m.

It's nice to hear a positive story of someone doing the right thing. Thanks!

• unaffiliated_person Saratoga Springs, UT
    May 19, 2011 9:33 a.m.

I noticed in the news this is more common than people think from those of the Great Depression era. People are constantly finding cash and valuables stuffed away. Note he had a handwritten note that said "I was born on a lousy day" attached to it. He knew the value of being prepared and did try, without the knowledge of anyone in his family. Kudos to him. As for those detractors saying he should have invested it...that is not as safe as you think. How much money gets lost in investments whenever we hit a recession? For Treasury Bills, what is the yield these days? In times of bank runs and mass economic panic, your investments cannot be liquidated fast enough.

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    May 19, 2011 9:24 a.m.

@utesovertide and unreaonable person: Actually, he really should have gone up to Idaho and bought lotto tickets. We could be talking about not hundreds of thousands, but millions...maybe even billions.

Shhheeeeshhh!

Great story. Thanks!

• Mountain Bird West Jordan, UT
    May 19, 2011 9:20 a.m.

The world is a better place because we have people like the Ferrin's. Thanks!

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    May 19, 2011 9:17 a.m.

That was the perfect story for today's rain. That young man was brought up right and chose to continue to honor that upbringing. Wow, if there were only millions of others just like him. Wouldn't this world be lovely to live in and the whole countenance of our nation would be one of more peace, love and charity. Gosh, that's a nice thought - think I will revel in that for now.

• R.Burgandy Cedar Hills, UT
    May 19, 2011 9:12 a.m.

Thanks for being honest! It will come back to you in some other way! I would hope the family would reward you for your honesty? Maybe a nice trip somewhere?

• utesovertide Salt Lake City, UT
    May 19, 2011 9:03 a.m.

@Reasonable Person

"It's a sad story, though. "Preparedness" meant, in this case, that the money stuffed into the trash bags was worth a lot less than when it accumulated. Imagine what it would be worth, if it had been banked."

Or if he wanted to maintain control or liquidity, he could have bought i-bonds. i-bonds are nearly as liquid as cash, but gain interest and protect against inflation. If it had been invested in a bond vehicle like an i-bond, and the interest rate was around 3% (and we know it was higher during the 70's), the money would only take about 24 years to double. We could be talking about hundreds of thousands here in that case.

But good for him returning the money. That is awesome!

• CBPapa Cedar Hills, UT
    May 19, 2011 9:00 a.m.

The Ferrin Family = Win

• It's Just Me South Jordan, UT
    May 19, 2011 8:43 a.m.

Great example for all of us! I think that since the money was "legally" the new homeowners money the Bangerter family should consider giving them a finders fee or share it with them. That seems fair and the right thing to do.

• Aggielove Junction city, Oregon
    May 19, 2011 8:37 a.m.

Should be a simple choice everytime.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 19, 2011 8:26 a.m.

Great people! Their sons will reap the benefit of this lesson their whole lives.

• TexasAg Humble, TX
    May 19, 2011 8:18 a.m.

I love it when someone does the right thing. No one was watching and it didn't even seem to cross his mind to keep the money. Great example.

• phgreek Hooper, UT
    May 19, 2011 8:14 a.m.

way to go Josh...more of those examples please. Congrats to the parents of Josh and his wife..."ya did Good".

• roberto Moses Lake, WA
    May 19, 2011 7:31 a.m.

Great story....Great example, one that I would like to think my kids would follow. Thank you, the world is a better place for it.

• eleetham916 Sacramento, CA
    May 19, 2011 7:21 a.m.

at least he was honest about finding this money....reading a story about a man who won 2 million dollars and still wants to collect his food stamps after his winnings made me sick...i'm happy to read a story about a family or person returning something back to the owner. with a story like that someone will offer something to that family by fixing up there new home.

• Reasonable Person Layton, UT
    May 19, 2011 7:18 a.m.

Keetch: thank you for YOUR honesty.

I hear what you're saying.

The stories about people who give money back, make it seem like they are rare cases. They are not.

The difference is this: we don't go running to a newspaper so we can get our little "ain't I better than everyone else" pat on the back.

In this case, I'll forgive the finder, because he DOES work for the newspaper.

That lesson needs to be included.

• momofbron Brooklyn, NY
    May 19, 2011 7:16 a.m.

Wow - what a great story,and a great family. Most other people would have kept the money. It's people like these who restore my faith in my fellow man! I believe that good things will happen for these people because they are so honest. The kids who wanted to keep a little bit, well, they're just acting like kids do. The parents set a great example for them.

• raybies Layton, UT
    May 19, 2011 7:10 a.m.

Dang.

I am impressed by these guys, but...

Dang.

• Springvillepoet Springville, UT
    May 19, 2011 7:02 a.m.

@Keetch:

Yes. That is exactly why we all should return found money---so we can have news stories written about us and gripe if none are.

• OnlyInUtah Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 19, 2011 6:48 a.m.

There is good in this world. I love that the Dnews reports this! Thanks for an uplifting story to brighten this rainy day.

• radio_lover Toronto, Ontario
    May 19, 2011 6:31 a.m.

Wonderful story! This just goes to prove a thousandfold the old saying that honesty is the best policy.

• Mormoncowboy Provo, Ut
    May 19, 2011 6:26 a.m.

Great story!

It's nice to hear stories like this.

• Rob Logan, UT
    May 19, 2011 6:22 a.m.

That is wonderful. So happy you were honest. It is a story that can go on for generations.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    May 19, 2011 5:27 a.m.

Too bad the roofers of a friends house didn't have that honesty when they took his box of silver dollars hidden in the attic.

• Keetch Cedar City, UT
    May 19, 2011 1:11 a.m.

This happened to me and my friends once.. we found around 15,000 dollars in and house and also gave it back. where is my news story?

• Sarah B SLC, UT
    May 19, 2011 12:33 a.m.

yaaayyyyyy!!!

• ER in EUR Belgrade, Serbia
    May 18, 2011 11:56 p.m.

Happens more than you think (people from that era stashing cash). My Grandma stashed cash everywhere in her house. In books, in old bags and purses that she never used. But we didn't even think to look into an old washing machine drum before we sold it.

The man we sold it to called in about 30 minutes. He had found an old leather bag of.... I kid you not.... gold and silver coins.

He did not even think about keeping them.

This is one of the reasons why I always argue in that old arguement that people are basically good. I want to believe it. I sometimes see it, and I am glad this story gives me more ammo to say it.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    May 18, 2011 11:36 p.m.

I think that the treasure is seeing how he wrapped the money and honestly, that was his being prepared. He had money and ammo, bet he also had food storage, but he had that in a place where someone could not come in and take it. So I think he was teaching a lesson of not saving money, but having it there for an emergency. I hope that his family will be wise with what they do with that money, I think that their dad would want them to be. Dad was no dummy.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    May 18, 2011 11:19 p.m.

The reward will come later when the kids remember and teach their own children this lesson.

• AZJazzFan Gold Canyon, az
    May 18, 2011 11:14 p.m.

Great story. I wonder why someone would stash so much money and not tell anyone. I wonder why someone would be so careless to stash cash and not put it in a bank.

• mistletoe Sandy, Utah
    May 18, 2011 11:10 p.m.

Best story ever. How wonderful. Honesty matters. What a great family. And a father who is a very good example to his boys.

• Two Cents Springville, Utah
    May 18, 2011 10:17 p.m.

Great story! Wish I could find that in my attic. :)

• Bach Rocks Sanpete County, UT
    May 18, 2011 10:14 p.m.

What a wonderful lesson in honesty, not only for the children of this family making the discovery, but for us all. I wonder how many of us would do the same thing? (All of us, one would hope.)

• Jonathan Eddy Payson, UT