Sports

BYU rugby takes on powerful Cal in title tilt at Rio Tinto Stadium

Comments

• COUGARNATE Lyman, WY
    May 19, 2011 11:20 a.m.

Cal has had scholarships for rugby for a long time. Only this year were they make into a club team. I am coming over from Wyoming with my brother-in-law who is from Samoa and New Zealand. He is excited to finally see some rugby. He hasn't seen a match since moving from Samoa. Go Cougs!!!!!
    @ Striker: BYU beat Cal two year ago, while having a guy in the sin bin. BYU can and will win this game. It is being played in Utah and that will be a big positive for the Cougs!!!!! BYU 31 Cal 26.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    May 19, 2011 10:38 a.m.

BYU rugby, you're wasting your typing time.

I don't know how any team can beat Cal. They are one of the most dominant teams in any sport I've heard of. BYU can't mess up at all to even have a shot at beating this team. I plan to watch on ESPN3.

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    May 18, 2011 8:28 p.m.

It's official...

Hedgehogs posts are out of steam...

• Slim Shady 801 Sandy, UT
    May 18, 2011 8:12 p.m.

Cal is a club team...all players have to get into Cal on their own. That is no easy feat.

• Y4LYFE Lubbock, TX
    May 18, 2011 7:36 p.m.

I just hope BYU fans are able to show up and give Cal fans a "visitor" feel. I'm tired of our rugby team not getting scholarships or having the championship in their own backyard every single season. If BYU wins I hope someone reminds them they volunteer their time and talents...they don't get paid.

I'd also mention after a BYU win, that yes, indeed, we are still mormon.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 18, 2011 7:34 p.m.

byu rugby,

As a long time Chicagoan and having friends in Crystal lake I'll give it a rest.

• byu rugby Crystal Lake, IL
    May 18, 2011 7:06 p.m.

Dear "Hedgehog" while it is nice to see a fellow midwesterner on this site. I have to ask you to please refrain from mocking the Cougar Rugby Team, their uniforms, or anything associated with the program.

BYU Rugby is a fine program with a strong heritage in the sport of rugby. The fact that you continue to make dispiriting comments about BYU Rugby shows a complete lack of understanding for the present state of college rugby and BYU's place in it.

If you must despairage (spp) a program choose a program in Michigan. Thank you for your understanding in this matter.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 18, 2011 5:30 p.m.

Nice hamburgler uniforms.

• nottyou Riverton, UT
    May 18, 2011 4:44 p.m.

Where is the rugby smack from Hedgie and Chrisy?

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    May 18, 2011 4:16 p.m.

Go Cougars!!!

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    May 18, 2011 3:53 p.m.

Just one more arrow in the quiver for the Cougars.

• Black Shirts South Jordan, UT
    May 18, 2011 3:35 p.m.

What happened to UTAH LOL

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    May 18, 2011 3:29 p.m.

Ought to be a fun game to watch. I'll have to DVR this one!

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    May 18, 2011 3:13 p.m.

Good luck Cougars! We'll be there rooting for you!