Sports

Cougar Nation: Top LB prospect lists BYU as his top choice

Comments

• truthsandwich RANDOLPH, UT
    June 22, 2011 4:58 p.m.

@Duckhater- "This kid doesn't see much in Utah"

"Utah has had a lot of success lately and playing in that program, its something Ill consider for sure. :)

@non haters- He sounds like he'll be solid. Congrats to BYU if they pick him up.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    May 21, 2011 9:32 p.m.

I kind of feel bad for BYU.

Getting so close to so many top recruits only to have them stolen away by elites like Utah, Oregon and USC.

Guess that's what you get when you're a non-AQ.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    May 10, 2011 12:41 p.m.

Thanks for the reminder UU32. Sometimes I start to think that hedgie and chris b represent all Ute fans.

hedgie and chris b may want to evaluate how many ute players and coaches are Mormon "sunday school boys". If all talented Mormon players only came to BYU, Utah would be without some valuable players and coaches.

• aggieblue Saint George, UT
    May 10, 2011 12:35 p.m.

Hedgie:

Interestingly, I reviewed the 7 articles on BYU, you posted on 5 of them, refering to the u and pac 10, always. I went to the U articles, you posted on two, of course there weren't very many. However, the two u articles you posted refering to the y even there. Obseseeion?

That said, this kid is a good prospect and hopefully he will go where he feels his convictions are. I believe this young man will live by his standards whether the Y, G Tech or yes even the U. Don't put him down or demean his talents because of his personal beliefs.

What do you think when you see professional players, huge college players kneel together in the end zone, both teams. I am inspired to think they play the game on the field and leave it there.

I wish the u, y and aggies all success and free form injuries or problems. Going to be an interesting year.

Oh, by the way, major colleges do offer the underclassmen, we have two sophomores down here offered D 1 already.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    May 10, 2011 11:49 a.m.

UU32

I know, you're right. I just get tired of those guys acting like they can predict the future and putting their skewed viewpoints onto strangers.

I know the REAL Ute fans are classy and intelligent. My apologies if I offended any of you.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    May 10, 2011 11:24 a.m.

fresnogirl:
    ". . . they apparently offer at the U"?

That is not like you ... letting the trolls get to you? Come one, you know that hedgehog and Chris B do not represent Utah fans, anymore than Hondo and Duckhunter represent BYU fans in general.

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    May 10, 2011 9:53 a.m.

Hedge(and others): I'm happy all things BYU and Mormon upset you. It's sort of like watching my 3 year old daughter throw a fit.

It's so funny and kind of precious at the same time.

Thanks guys!

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    May 10, 2011 9:33 a.m.

This just in! LDS kids wanting to go to BYU to play football. You BYU guys are funny, boasting and pounding your chest because a mormon kid wants to go to school there.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    May 10, 2011 9:31 a.m.

hedgehog

Your "logic" doesn't work. Neither McMahan nor Detmer were LDS and yet .... In fact, Detmer decided he wanted to go to the Y after watching them play on TV.

While religion will get us a lot of recruits who want to go to a school where football isn't required to be their only priority, some very good non-LDS players will come because they love the program and the atmosphere.

I think it's funny how you continually try and superimpose your thoughts and feeling on a bunch of strangers. You and Chris B. should go back and take the "Mind Reading Class for Trolls" they apparently offer at the U.

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    May 10, 2011 9:22 a.m.

hedgehog | 8:21 a.m. May 10, 2011
    Ann Arbor, MI

"The one and only thing BYU has is the religion card....certainly not football prowess or cache."

So what youre saying is: In one of the worst years in BYU (Fresno CC) football history, your utes could only manage a one point victory on your home turf?

Your "superior" team got lucky bounces, your crowd booed your starting qb and it took a miraculous blocked fg in the end to pull off the win... against BYU's worst team in 30 years. A win is a win but...yikes. And on top of that.. all of your talent entered the NFL draft. Sounds like your utes are going to make a 'big splash'/belly flop in the pac12. Cant wait.

Go Cougs!

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    May 10, 2011 9:08 a.m.

That must have been what Drew Phillips saw in BYU, is it? Or Chambers? If BYU wasn't good at football like you claim, then why are so many good athletes choosing BYU over others? Surely there aren't that many talented obsessed BYU fans that will go to their religion's school despite the condition of the program? I can understand a few people wanting to go to BYU without looking any other direction, but ALL of these athletes? It must mean that BYU DOES have football prowess!

• Vince the boonies, mexico
    May 10, 2011 9:01 a.m.

This whole high school recruitment mentality has got to be changed and now! Make these youngsters unavailable until after they have played their senior season of football, and then and "only" then start the recruit process. The punks getting recruited get the wrong message as well when they are recruited shortly after abondoning diapers. Whats going on? Greed, greed, greed all around by all parties I'm sorry to say!

• Hondo Springville, UT
    May 10, 2011 8:57 a.m.

This kid is coming to Provo. We all know it and should move on with our lives. I, for one, will buy him an ice cream at the creamery when I see him on campus.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 10, 2011 8:21 a.m.

"Oregon, G. Tech, Colorado and Utah... what do they have in common? they play in BCS conferences and yet this kids top choice is BYU. Hmmm but I thought BYU couldn't compete with BCS schools in recruiting?"

The kid is Mormon. Take that out of the equation and he views BYU the same as Fresno Community College

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 10, 2011 8:16 a.m.

@fyi

Polite platitudes so that utah fans will feel like they aren't being completely spurned. I'm sure he likes sitake so he is throwing him out some compliments. Sounds like a classy kid. A BYU type of kid.

I wouldn't hold my breath if I was you.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    May 9, 2011 11:12 p.m.

hedgehog

Maybe someday Utah will start recognizing talent potential between players junior and senior years and start recruiting...right now, they see who others are going after and try to sell their program to them as an afterthought.

However, the day will come when they finally understand what Big Time Recruiting is all about...until then, they are just and also ran.

Now thats game, set, match.

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    May 9, 2011 9:59 p.m.

Why even play the season? We will be National Champs once again.

• FYI Taylorsville, UT
    May 9, 2011 9:58 p.m.

@Duckhunter
    "Whatever it is it sure doesn't appear like he see's much in them."

And you get that from this comment?

" On Utah, Ive known Coach Kalani Sitake there since I was in the eighth grade. Hes a very good friend of the family and hes doing a great job at Utah. Hed also be a great coach to play for. Utah has had a lot of success lately and playing in that program, its something Ill consider for sure.

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    May 9, 2011 9:46 p.m.

Oregon, G. Tech, Colorado and Utah... what do they have in common? they play in BCS conferences and yet this kids top choice is BYU. Hmmm but I thought BYU couldn't compete with BCS schools in recruiting? Just as Bronco stated back when utah accepted their invite to the pac 10, BYU will still get their share of recruits, especially the kids who are good fits for BYU.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    May 9, 2011 8:41 p.m.

Re: fresnogirl

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    May 9, 2011 6:38 p.m.

Cougar Claws

I always like it when you comment. I learn so much! Thank you for that.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 9, 2011 6:04 p.m.

I actually like Utah's chances of goin' Rose Bowlin.' And they will look back and claim that one of their losses was a meaningless game in Provo.

These men are going to love playing for BYU!

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    May 9, 2011 5:10 p.m.

That's good to know that the middle linebacker position looks to be strong for the forseeable future, but where I really have concerns for next year is at strongside linebacker. BYU should be solid there this year with Jordan Pendleton and Jameson Frazier but both of them graduate in 2012. That is why Vince Biegel was a particularly important player for BYU to get. I suppose that Coach Mendenhall might, and very well could move some of the extra safety recruits to that position if no other strongside linebackers could be recruited but we'll see what happens there. Strongside linebacker is a tough position because they are big guys who need to stop the run but they also need to be light enough on their feet to be good in coverage because the weakside linebacker is generally the pass rusher. That's what makes Jordan Pendleton perfect for the position because he is big, tough, and physical but is also good in coverage being a former safety. I hope that they can find some good options for the strongside linebacker position.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    May 9, 2011 4:48 p.m.

Cougarista | 4:05 p.m.
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Don't the ute trolls who post on every BYU story ever tire of making all ute fans look silly?
    ===

It does make you wonder...

@devislishute... U are already behind BYU and others in line for the kid.

@TedH... So Max is still a thorn in your side?

@Hedge... TCU played in the Rosebowl. Not the U. Do you really want to re-live ESPN Gameday at RES last year? Why can't you just be happy with your performance in the Vegas Bowl against a WAC school for now?

===

All the good things happening for the U right now, and all they want to do is be compared against their "better" in-state school, headed in a differnt direction to the national and international stage, while they sit as the 12th body on the bench of teams that made the PAC-TV contract.

BYU made their own payout...

That really hurts you kids, doesn't it.

(Now with the PAC deal, can the U arrange to funnel, to a few BYU haters, money to help pay the rent on their own apartments, and get them out of their parents basements?)

• In Stitches Provo, Utah
    May 9, 2011 4:45 p.m.

"Yet the byu fans seem to love hime base on the number on likes he gets... a pretty "clear" picture isn't it."

Does anyone have a Urim and Thummim?

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    May 9, 2011 4:33 p.m.

Clearly Chris B is not a U fan because he is making bold predictions about his school. Right, Ted?

You guys are a crack up.

• Y's Guy Salt Lake City, UT
    May 9, 2011 4:26 p.m.

Chris B | 1:40 p.m. May 9, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    After watching big brother go to a Rose bowl this year he'll change his mind.

I assume, of course, that in your mind the reference to 'big brother' is a reference to the U. Tell you what--IF the U goes to the Rose Bowl this year, I'll change my mind about the U. However, if they don't, will you?

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    May 9, 2011 4:18 p.m.

Isn't this choice? BYU fans fighting amonst themselves about who the true fans are. Hondo is definitely drinking BYU kool-aid and now accusations are flying about whether his is a "real" BYU fan. Well, I have seen enough posts from him to know that he is a BYU fan. He can go away for all I care. I guess you can't write too many good things about your school or you might be posing as a fan from that school. Ridiculous.

Now, as for Ah Ching....I hope he changes his mind. Looks like a good kid and we could use a guy to stuff the middle.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    May 9, 2011 4:05 p.m.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    May 9, 2011 3:57 p.m.

Ted H. You are right. I am a u grad and a BYU fan. I changed after watching a "u" fan urinate on the field after a game after having season tickets, including scholarship box tickets for years. Unfortunately, the loud mouths and "u" "fans" , many of which have never set foot in the school scream obscenities and only go to the games to attack the LDS church.

• BaneOfHedgehog Bothell, WA
    May 9, 2011 3:49 p.m.

LOLZ! The utes have as much chance going to the Super Bowl as they do to the Rose Bowl. Buy a ticket, like everyone else - that's how the wanna-be's in SLC will see it.

As for Ah-Ching, I can't wait to see him and Pikula lined up side-by-side ready to just maul anyone running their way.

• Hondo Springville, UT
    May 9, 2011 3:45 p.m.

@ Ted H.

Max Hall is great. The winningest QB is BYU history will put a guy on the map, even though BYU has been pumping QBs for 30 years now. I'd have to agree with you....

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    May 9, 2011 3:33 p.m.

Hondo,

I'll just say this: Max Hall is great.

• Hondo Springville, UT
    May 9, 2011 3:19 p.m.

Ted H. doesn't like what I write because it's not always 100% pro-BYU and so he tries to discredit me. However, I think I am pretty fair in my assessments.

Have I written some outrageous things on these boards? Of course I have. Who hasn't? That being said, I think I've been level-headed and many of the absurd things that I have written have helped me illustrate my points.

It's early, but BYU will finish 10-2 this season with losses to the Texas schools. Furthermore, Reynolds will be a top 15 pick and Pendelton might get picked as well (he has the bloodlines - his Dad, Kirk, played at BYU and then USFL and his sister married Austin Collie).

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    May 9, 2011 2:51 p.m.

This is the beauty of what has transpired this year.

There are very good reasons for this young kid to play football in the state when his time comes, whether RES or LES. All athletes, both schools...

It benefits fans of college athletics in Utah, and make the haters of both schools less relevant each day. (see Chris B | 1:40 p.m. What does that even mean?)

What a great time to be a fan of college athletics in the state.

• beetdiggingcougar Provo, UT
    May 9, 2011 2:38 p.m.

Georgia Tech will honor your mission plans until the coach gets fired. Don't count on it!

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 9, 2011 2:37 p.m.

"It's clear when anyone is so off base and they tell us which side they are from they clearly are not."

Ted H,

• Chris Bryant SLC, UT
    May 9, 2011 2:36 p.m.

Ted H.

take a look at Hondo's posts. Clearly, he is a BYU fan. Check out any Ute article from today with comments on it. He is either a BYU fan, or he is a troll trying to troll both sides.

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    May 9, 2011 2:28 p.m.

" After watching big brother go to a Rose bowl this year he'll change his mind."

Won't happen! No Roses for little big man utes this year or for the next several years... and kid will sign with BYU. Mark it down!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 9, 2011 2:28 p.m.

@Ted H

I'm pretty sure you have hondo figured out. I've been thinking the same thing myself. Too many outrageous posts to take him seriously.

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    May 9, 2011 2:12 p.m.

Hondo,

Ute alumni is a byu fan posting as a byu fan. He is a Ute alumni and byu fan.
    Tough to wrap your head around that one?

I know simple concepts are tough for U fans sometimes as you are the troll pretending to be from the side.

I remember when it was fun to come on these boards pretending to be from the other side, but then I grew up.

I wonder if U kids will too someday, but I wont be holding my breath.

But way to go on the "This is from a BYU fan." Very convincing!

• flynn is the coolest Salt Lake City, UT
    May 9, 2011 2:11 p.m.

I've been following this guy for over a year now, and he plays like a human bulldozer. He may have only 3 stars next to his name, but look at the offers rolling in. Any team will be glad to have him. What he should consider is where will he be playing. If he goes to a PAC school, his time will be relegated to the west coast. If he goes to BYU, he'll get to go to Hawaii, play at Fed Ex field (Redskins stadium), play close to home at GT where friends and family can attend, get to play ND in Provo and see TD Jesus, likely play at Dallas Cowboys stadium, and more. It sounds like a pretty good offer to me- not to mention BYU will have a scholarship for him when he returns from his mission.

• Hondo Springville, UT
    May 9, 2011 1:53 p.m.

@ute alumni

Your post makes no sense. You're a BYU fan posing as a Ute fan and I think you're trying to be funny, but it falls flat on its face. This from a BYU fan.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    May 9, 2011 1:53 p.m.

Great to see that BYU is his first choice. Sounds like a talented kid.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 9, 2011 1:47 p.m.

He sounds like the kind of athlete BYU wants. Hope to see him next year in BYU blue along with his friend from CA. BYU having a solid year this year will likely keep them at the top of his list.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 9, 2011 1:40 p.m.

After watching big brother go to a Rose bowl this year he'll change his mind.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    May 9, 2011 1:33 p.m.

WAIT. This can't be....USC...pac 10 plus 2...independence? No way! the pac 10 plus 2 will always get the top talent, or was this the university of south carolina? It doesn't say.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    May 9, 2011 1:23 p.m.

Hmmm wedgie. I wonder what it is utah see's in him then? Whatever it is it sure doesn't appear like he see's much in them.

• Hondo Springville, UT
    May 9, 2011 1:03 p.m.

@Hog

Utah wants this "3-star" recruit as well. Why? This guy has potential. From what I've read this kid admires Bronco for some of the changes he's making in his life: the Shape-Up workouts and dietary modifications (more veggies and less pudding).

I can see this guy salivating over Ute meat in the years to come.

• cheeseman187 Costa Mesa, CA
    May 9, 2011 1:00 p.m.

Most major schools start recruiting kids during their soph or junior seasons. I see that Utah fans are once again trying to catch up with figuring this out.

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    May 9, 2011 12:58 p.m.

There's a seventh grade lineman out in The basin area that should sign as soon as they teach him cursive. According to his mom, he'll definitely sign a LOI before he shaves or gets his drivers license.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 9, 2011 12:42 p.m.

"I can see a flood of LBs coming to BYU, especially after the momentous Independence run expected this year."

Hondo,

Except for the last LB prospect the Dnews hyped (last week) who went to Wisconsin.

Extending an offer to a borderline 3 star in his sophmore year really says it all.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    May 9, 2011 12:18 p.m.

Sounds like a great kid. He is the kid Bronco speaks of when he says he won't lose a recruit. He loves BYU. He fits in well there. As a Utah fan, I can't fault a kid for that at all. He is a must get for the BYU staff and it sounds like they have him. Love to see good LDS kids all over the country representing well. Good luck to him.

• williary Kearns, UT
    May 9, 2011 12:05 p.m.

If this kid was as sold on BYU as he says he is in this article, he'd be on board already. BYU usually fills up their class very early, and not much changes as NSD gets closer. I'd be pretty surprised if he waits until NSD and picks BYU. Would be against the grain for sure.

• Hondo Springville, UT
    May 9, 2011 12:04 p.m.

And who doesn't want a chance to be taught by one of the best defensive minds in college football, if not all of football, Bronco.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    May 9, 2011 11:52 a.m.

This would be the right choice for BYU also.