Faith

Mormon Media Observer: Mormon Media Observer: Here's to Marie Osmond and Stephen Craig

Comments

• Brother Dave Livermore, CA
    May 10, 2011 9:13 p.m.

I really like Lane Williams' remarks in this news article.

I'm sure he reflects the feeling not only of himself, but many LDS.
    This was a Great example of Good writing. I definitely could relate.

At the end of the story (news article), it says that Mr. Williams is a
    Communications teacher at BYU Idaho. His students are lucky to have
    someone with his talent level as their teacher.

If I were his teacher, I would have given him an A++ on this news story!!!

• BirdmanKen Fishers, IN
    May 10, 2011 1:27 p.m.

Very good article. I think there's a lot of glory to be had in taking some punches - even self-inflicted - and coming through on the other side with your faith intact. The Osmonds are good examples of just that, particularly Marie.

• newwest Ferron, UT
    May 10, 2011 10:33 a.m.

Beatrice,
    The second husband did not have to give permission in order for the sealing to be canceled.
    Only the First Presidency of the Church can cancel sealings, and they consider the entire situation, including the feelings of the ex-spouse. In a situation like this, the ex-spouse is asked to write a statement to the 1st Presidency expressing their views on the divorce, which they may or may not provide. But the ultimate decision rests with the 1st Presidency, regardless of what the ex-spouse may say.
    In the New Testament, Christ gave Peter the power to "bind on earth what will be bound in heaven, and loose on earth what will be loosed in heaven." That's basically what we're talking about here.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    May 9, 2011 10:01 p.m.

beatrice, first of all Marie's marriages and who she is and isn't sealed to, is none of my business. And it isn't my place to make any decisions for her situation. I myself am sealed to my deceased husband and have had a marriage in the temple with my now husband for time only, we are both widowed. But after you clarified your question, it reminded me of a question that was asked of the Savior. Mark 12:14 And when they were come, they say unto him, Master, we know that thou art true, and carest for no man: for thou regardest not the person of men, but teachest the way of God in truth: Is it lawful to give tribute to Cæsar, or not?
    His answer is in verse 17 And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Cæsar the things that are Cæsars, and to God the things that are Gods. And they marvelled at him.

Now my question, why did they ask this question of him and beatrice, why did you ask this question of me?

• Serenity Manti, UT
    May 9, 2011 9:45 p.m.

No one ever gets a temple divorce. If one or the other partner are not faithful to their temple wedding covenants, sometime a cancellation of sealings is granted. But this happens very rarely.

I hope the best for Marie in her future life. She has been like a shining light, even through her darkest hours. May our Father in Heaven and His Holy Son be with her in her new life.

• rightascension Provo, UT
    May 9, 2011 9:23 p.m.

Marie. Stephen. Again.

Who was it who said that remarriage is the triumph of hope over experience. Case in point, though they might not call it hope but faith.

• Serenity Manti, UT
    May 9, 2011 8:20 p.m.

Beatrice, after a person has been baptized into the LDS Church, they know exactly as much as just before they were baptized. They have been taught, received a testimony of the Gospel and accepted the truths of the LDS faith before receiving a recommend for baptism. Then after they are baptized, they keep on learning, line upon line, precept upon precept.

If a convert participates in Church activities, for instance has Church callings and being a full tithe payer for a year, they may receive a temple recommend if they are found worthy. It's not easy to get this recommend because you must have lived the Gospel and worked your way toward perfection as required by the Lord.

Then you have an interview with the bishop and the stake president, and if they think you are worthy, you will receive a temple recommend to enter the holy temple. In there, your real learning begins and you can attain unimaginable spiritual heights to become very near to God. That's why our temples are very sacred and very holy. They are the universities of the Lord.

• formerUT Osawatomie, KS
    May 9, 2011 7:29 p.m.

For all the speculators out there--I do not know for sure--but this is what I think may have occurred:

1. Marie and Stephen were married for time and eternity the first time (in the 80's).

2. Marie asked for a Temple divorce (her sealing to be divorced)--but when this occurs, the child is still sealed to his/her parents. She then married her second husband (as women can only be sealed for time and eternity to 1 man) for time and eternity. I think this is what occurred cause I believe the adopted children were sealed to both of them (not sure--but think so).

3. So--at this point, most likely (again--not sure--but likely) Marie and Stephen would have been married for TIME only. Notice--that is what Marie announced--stating something like she hopes to spend her life time with Stephen (not eternity).

Does that help? And--nicely put. I think the Osmond's have done so much for the LDS faith. I am especially grateful that more than one has discussed their mental issues--as they are not alone in being LDS faithful and dealing with that reality.

• beatrice Beaverton, OR
    May 9, 2011 6:07 p.m.

Mojules: I am asking at what point on the path to the Mormon Celestial
    Heaven do ordinary members learn the answers to questions such as this
    topic? If they are learned in temple buildings then all of you here
    who have TR's should be able to explain first sealings, second sealings
    and re-sealings. Again, I ask...if the second husband...to whom
    Marie was "sealed" had to give his permission for her to "void""
    that sealing, then it is a religion of men. IF they were still
    sealed, then why do it again in the temple?

Thanks for any response

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    May 9, 2011 4:40 p.m.

beatrice, Converts are people that have been baptized, investigators are those that are being taught. After a year of being a member of the LDS church new converts can go to the temple to do the ordinances there, however, before that, they can go and do baptismal work for their ancestors. The temple is a very sacred place and we do not discuss those things outside of the temple. I guess you could kind of compare it to someone discussing their income or their personal hygiene, there is a time and a place for those things to be talked about. I have two brothers that were raised in the church, but left it in their youth, neither of them have been to the temple. So it isn't how long a person has been in the church, it is how involved they are in the church.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    May 9, 2011 4:21 p.m.

Not sure how the author feels so confident in discussing private matters of love between two people he obviously hasn't met or even knows.

Best wishes to Marie and Steve, but I'll reserve any judgement on how this remarriage exemplifies anything relative to their righteousness of personal struggles.

Creepy that we, LDS folks, love to comment on the details of personal lives of people we don't even know.

• NightTrader Colonia, Yap, FSM
    May 9, 2011 3:55 p.m.

Great article. Thanks for your putting your thoughts, (and mine) so eloquently on paper.

• beatrice Beaverton, OR
    May 9, 2011 2:09 p.m.

MoJules: It is my understanding that converts do not find
    out the answers to all such things until they are
    baptized Mormon. Is that correct?

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    May 9, 2011 1:15 p.m.

oldcougar, I didn't say I didn't want to read it, but I was surprised that the writer was talking about other media exploiting Marie and yet that seemed to be what he was doing.

I would go a bit further about the sealing thing with others asking, it really isn't their business.

But in all reality, when someone has fame and they put out things publicly, then people will talk and speculate and ask questions. I mean what damage will it do to have tongues wagging about your marriage and then releasing a CD that same week? That show business.

• LaBronna's Mom Broken Bow, OK
    May 9, 2011 1:03 p.m.

My understanding is when you are sealed in the temple and then get a temple divorce (which by the way is not easy) then you are free to be sealed to someone else...which she did...then was divorced again...so my question would be, would the 1st sealing be re-instated, or just do it all over again? Hmm. I know if a Priesthood holder get ex communicated and then gets rebaptised his Priesthood is re-instated. I wonder if this goes along the same lines. Idk. Doesn't matter anyway. I just hope they have found what they were looking for. Good luck to them and God bless.

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    May 9, 2011 12:04 p.m.

@MoJules. Read it again. You missed the meaning and the tone badly. Oh, and if you didn't want to read it, why did you?

As for those who wonder how and why and whether multiple sealings occur? I suggest trusting in the judgment of the Lord. He'll work it out. Good men are in charge and seeking His will. All will be well.

Congrats, Marie and Steve.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    May 9, 2011 11:09 a.m.

So I am very happy for the public figure Marie Osmond and her marriage and hope she will be happy. I am sorry for the public figure Marie Osmond's trials and tribulations, which many times have been shared by she or her family to the public. But Mr Williams, I don't get you, you put down the media for their attention to and bringing up all the issues that have gone on in Marie's life, my goodness, you covered a lifetime of all her past in two paragraphs. So do you get an income from this article? So are you profiting by writing about Steve and Marie and are you going to add a little more spice by bringing up all Marie has gone through? I really had no desire to read about the marriage in the LDS site, just to have it be a tabloid writing under the guise of the LDS church.

• ciaobello Concord, CA
    May 9, 2011 10:50 a.m.

Dear Gosh,
    There are cancellations of sealings in rare cases when another sealing is planned, if that makes sense. I stayed sealed to my abusive husband after our civil divorce until such time as I was planning another sealing.

• rlm Salt Lake City, UT
    May 9, 2011 10:40 a.m.

Gosh-DUH: If both parties are worthy, they can be married in the temple either for time/and or eternity. It depends on the situation. My understanding of it, and granted I don't have a perfect understanding of how it works, a second marriage could be preformed in the temple but only for time unless the first marriage for eternity has been broken. I'm not sure how that works though. But in my little understanding, one would be sealed to their first spouse for eternity, but not to their second. If one remarries the spouse they where sealed to in the first place, well, I'm supposing that the eternity part is still there.
    again, this is simply my understanding, if you really are interested, talk with a local Stake President or Bishop, or I believe you can call the Church Offices and someone there will be able to answer your question.

• ciaobello Concord, CA
    May 9, 2011 10:27 a.m.

Well said. I offer my congratulations to the newlyweds.

Signed, temple marriage #2

• Mel50 Nashville, TN
    May 9, 2011 10:04 a.m.

Allen#1 - with all due respect, what does Bill Clinton have to do with anything? Bill Clinton is not LDS, he is an admitted adulterer, and committed perjury to a Grand Jury. There is no comparison to Marie's situation. Additionally, we have nothing to "forgive" Marie of. She committed no sin against us. Any transgressions that occurred in either of her previous marriages is between her, her husband and the Lord. Was it really necessary to inject partisan politics into this?

• Allen#1 West Valley, UT
    May 9, 2011 8:49 a.m.

Good article. Marie and Steve are Forever Together - Again. It will be nice when those who admire Marie will extend the same forgiveness to Bill Clinton.

• Frozen Chosen Savage, MN
    May 9, 2011 8:38 a.m.

Steve and Marie have current temple recommends of which I can only assume they're worthy. That is all any of us can ask for as Latter-Day Saints and what the Lord expects of us.

The Lord looks forward and not back - so should we.

• Gosh-DUH Burlington, CT
    May 9, 2011 8:34 a.m.

Just wondering, how is it that Marie could be sealed for time and eternity 3 times in an LDS temple, to two different men.

Steve Craig: Marie and Steve were married on June 26, 1982 in Salt Lake City at the Mormon Temple.

Marie, 27, and Brian, 33, were married on October 28, 1986. Their wedding at the Jordan River Temple was officiated by Paul H. Dunn.

• Rosebud2 Morgan, UT
    May 9, 2011 8:10 a.m.

Great article! Thanks for sharing! I couldn't agree more! The media has so much to say that's negative.....and little about the positive. Why? Because people eat up the negative and use it to "justify" their own lives. They feed on it! Like animals! My husband called to tell me about Marie.....and my reaction was THAT IS WONDERFUL! Good for her! Good for their son! What a joyful moment for all of them! I couldn't be happier for her. I've loved the Osmonds ever since I can remember.....no, they aren't perfect, no, I'm not perfect, thank goodness we all have the Atonement to help us through life's difficult challenges....and hopefully in this world of negative sadness, we can start to recognize things that are good! When we join in with "the worldly" ways, we lose focus. Think on a higher level people! I add my cheers "Here's to Marie and Steve"!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS! You may have lost a few years together....but a loving Father has given you eternity to be together! How cool is that! :) I'm so happy for all of you!

• BevWel Roseburg, OR
    May 9, 2011 7:49 a.m.

Congratulations to Marie and Stephen. Second chances is what the gospel is about. Without it none of us would make it. Great article. Much happiness to the old/new couple.

• Yorkshire City, Ut
    May 9, 2011 7:17 a.m.

"But for Marie especially, the public spotlight seems to have had more than its fair share..."

While it may be true that she has had more than her fair share of the public spotlight being focused on her and her many trials and issues, you have got to admit that she has done more than most to STAY in the public spotlight.

If you seek to seriously be in the public eye, you can't be surprised if thats what happens.

• momofbron Brooklyn, NY
    May 9, 2011 7:11 a.m.

Congratulatios to Marie and Steve - they both looked gorgeous! I hope that they share many, many years of happiness. The first time around, they were just too young.

• billsview Stockton, CA
    May 9, 2011 6:57 a.m.

Your comments reflect the way many of us feel. Thank you for expressing them so well.
    We are grateful for the gospel. We appreciate the genuine effort of each Osmond as he/she carries the banners of the Church and family values. We are grateful that God is no respecter of persons, and that the atonement is for ALL mankind.