Utah

Deseret News posts circulation gains, bucking national trend of declining print circulation

Comments

• OceanAvenue Bountiful, Utah
    May 5, 2011 5:52 p.m.

If the Deseret News is doing so well, it's time to hire back the experienced, professional reporters and eliminate all of the cheesy bloggers. I cringe at the Arts section each Sunday; art coverage now being handled by stay-at-home moms. How insulting to the real reporters plus embarrassing and unprofessional. Bring competence back.

• Tennor Orem, UT
    May 5, 2011 10:09 a.m.

@gizmo33

Some of them - but not all. I'm one of those coupon crazy people that needs all of 'em!

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    May 5, 2011 9:49 a.m.

The Tribune is the independent voice of "hate". Kinda sad because they once printed a good newspaper. Great spors section.

Now it's only anti-mormon propoganda. I've had NON-MORMONS tell me the same thing!

• dalefarr South Jordan, Utah
    May 5, 2011 9:25 a.m.

Didn't the numbers of those who view the D-News on line decline? Shouldn't a newspaper report the total number to provide an accurate news story?

• gizmo33 St. George, Utah
    May 5, 2011 8:58 a.m.

Tennor. you can get the same coupons off the internet for FREE !

• Sewell Salt Lake City, UT
    May 5, 2011 7:41 a.m.

Good news. Maybe now is the time to start thinking of some improvements, specifically: the return of a complete business section with more complete and detailed business coverage, national and local, along with the Wall Street Journal Sunday business section. It's hard to believe that a newspaper, or any business, can cut back on service and expect an increased customer base. But with some basic improvements I would certainly again become a full-time subscriber. But the News is certainly a better option than the anti-Utah, anti-everything that good and wholesome, SLC Tribune.
    Thanks

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    May 5, 2011 6:53 a.m.

I always use the online to keep up what is going on in Utah. Great newspaper!

• BlueSaint South Jordan, UT
    May 5, 2011 2:02 a.m.

I think Vai Sikahema's Articles have a lot to do with it!

• International Cougar Fan Tacoma, WA
    May 5, 2011 12:16 a.m.

Deseret News, BYUtv, KSL, Fox News, and ESPN stations are mostly what I watch. I am mostly disappointed with other media.

Keep up the good work Deseret News!

• Jimmy James Salt Lake City, Ut
    May 4, 2011 11:40 p.m.

Deseret News:

I like you and want to support you, but this article baffles me.

First off, publicly patting yourself on the back does not win friends (or in your case, subscribers).

Secondly, until you printed that helpful graphic (thanks Hatumai), I never realized that the discrepancy in distribution between the two papers was that large.

Essentially what you just did, is in the name of pointing out a minimal gain (2-3%), you've now advertised to the world that the Trib has almost twice the distribution as you. Way to make yourself the little brother and show off an inferiority complex at the same time.

• I Still Can't Say It Holladay, UT
    May 4, 2011 10:42 p.m.

I'll consider subscribing if the coverage of the Utes improves and if the paper quits dramatically favoring the team in Provo.

There's absolutely no balance. The Cougars are treated like royalty while every story about the Utes has a negative spin. It's unprofessional.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    May 4, 2011 9:20 p.m.

Hard copy is the way of the dinosaur, save trees. Plus you can troll like me...

• hatumai Holladay, UT
    May 4, 2011 8:40 p.m.

@ guitarboy

Didn't you see the graphic? They're honest and open with the disparity in their numbers.

• We the People Sandy, UT
    May 4, 2011 8:40 p.m.

I happily cancelled my subscription.

• Hunt Spanish Fork, UT
    May 4, 2011 8:34 p.m.

Kinda of odd to be patting yourself on the back don't you think?

• guitarboy South Jordan, UT
    May 4, 2011 8:04 p.m.

"During the same period, daily and Sunday circulation of the Salt Lake Tribune declined."

This would have come across as more even-handed, if the article had included the circulation of the SLTrib as well, or at least the SLTrib circulation as most recently known to the Deseret News. The SLTrib circulation is still significantly larger than the Deseret News.

I am pleased to see circulation rise in the Deseret News. I am an avid supporter of the Deseret News, in many ways. I would just prefer that the above kind of selective incompleteness be avoided.

Keep up the otherwise great work on this great paper. I enjoy reading the Deseret News and have for years.

• attentive Salt Lake City, UT
    May 4, 2011 7:07 p.m.

Whatever happened to El Observador?

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    May 4, 2011 6:29 p.m.

The Tribune is cynical on every page; and hopefully dies a slow death.

• Tennor Orem, UT
    May 4, 2011 6:25 p.m.

I just subscribed last week for the sole purpose of getting Sunday coupons. Gotta save in this economy.

• BoringGuy Holladay, UT
    May 4, 2011 6:16 p.m.

If circulation is rising at the Des News, perhaps it could bring back some of the writers it laid off. The quality doesn't seem as good ever since.