ACLU files lawsuit against Utah illegal immigration enforcement law

• anti-liar Salt Lake City, UT
    May 7, 2011 6:16 a.m.

"Alicia Cervantes fears Utah's new illegal immigration enforcement law will subject her to police questioning because she is Latina."

Well then we'd better get rid of HB116 too -- since it too requires showing your papers: your "guest worker" card.

• SLars Provo, UT
    May 6, 2011 4:26 p.m.

In numerous studies of DNA tests, there was no trace of Israel blood in Mexico. If people are ignoring the law for that reason, they are acting on false assumptions. 95% of the American Indians have roots in Siberia (Asia)

• phgreek Hooper, UT
    May 5, 2011 1:02 p.m.

@BU52 says
    "It's scripture: Our southern brethern are going to take over the country. All this quibbling won't matter much in the long run."

However, I never saw where god said to simply stop toiling for right and righteous as soon as we see a sign WE recognize. Its his call...until then I believe he expects we all do what is necessary to preserve this choice land...

I picture it this way...I am fighting for what I know is right until I feel a tap on the shoulder, and I turn to see him. Those whove already quit...not sure that bodes well for ya.

• SLars Provo, UT
    May 5, 2011 12:37 p.m.

It's not just Holder. Search the national news (Jessica Colotl), Obama cut a deal with the Hispanic groups to stop the deportation of adults here illegally enrolled in higher education.

• phgreek Hooper, UT
    May 5, 2011 12:11 p.m.

So, if you get caught doing something wrong, and we need to spend tens of thousands of dollars on you, we'd like to be sure you should be here.

How does this discussion get from a point where a person is asked about immigration status if they are being apprehended (for another reason) to one of profiling innocent people? Thats just absurd!

There is no part of the law that proscribes profiling as its intent either explicitly or inferred...and actually expressly prohibits it...

and before you answer with ..."but it will be used that way", stop and think.

If we sued each and every time a law had the potential to be abused, just where would we be?

The cold hard truth is, you will have bad cops and good cops, good DAs and bad DAs...legislation cannot prevent that.

The legislative intent is clear here, I am baffled at what EXACTLY there is that represents grounds for suit.

...and honestly, the ACLU creates animosity toward a group where none exists by pulling these stunts...

This boils down to the Fed. being incompetent, but refusing to allow us to save ourselves from their failures...when does Holder leave?

• Whazzup Rawlins, WY
    May 5, 2011 9:23 a.m.

The ACLU, 'looking out for you...'

• sg newhall, CA
    May 4, 2011 8:57 p.m.

Well, if you are Latino/a and live here legally, then stop complaining. If you are legally here you should be all the more in support of sending home/deporting those who are breaking the law. If children in schools are saying, "Send the Mexicans home" well, they are mimicking what they are hearing their parents say. That is not racism. For these legals who are nervous about what non ethnics are saying, then such legals don't understand. I'm an immigrant. My family and I entered this country the proper way. It took us 4 yrs to complete all the necessary documentation to receive our green cards. Why should these individuals, the illegals, feel otherwise and cheat the system? In fact, none of us would have a problem with these illegals taking the proper steps towards citizenship. But what really busts my chops is that (1) they have no regard in learning our language (English) and (2) they have no loyalty towards this country. It makes me angry when individuals come into this country and proudly hoist their home country flag, ie Mexican flag and basically say in your face. Deport all illegals including all family members.

• Justin.D. provo, ut
    May 4, 2011 5:40 p.m.

What I think a lot of people are not understanding is that you only have to prove citizenship when you are being cited for a criminal offense/misdemeanor. When that happens right now you are already supposed to show some form of identification - no great change there. This isn't about stopping every citizen on the street and forcing them to produce documents.

• NoMad Grantsville, UT
    May 4, 2011 3:55 p.m.

Why don't the ACLU sue on behave of the citizens of the United States who are violated by Illegal Immigrants? That would make more sense.

• emilee-1 Preston, ID
    May 4, 2011 3:28 p.m.

We need to stand up to the ACLU on this. Our tax dollars pay for housing, medical bills, WIC benefits, free meals at school, special teachers, interpreters, court trials, incarceration costs, higher insurance rates (because they often do not carry insurance or have a valid drivers license), printing materials in spanish, the list goes on and on. My personal physician was telling me that if an illegal comes here and has a baby, the government (us) pays for it, but if my minor daughter got pregnant, the parents pay for it. I have worked in the courts for nearly 20 years, and I can personally tell you that almost every felony Delivery of a Controlled Substance case filed involves illegals. The cost is stagering!! We are broke!! Our ancestors did not sneak into this country. They entered through Ellis Island and were processed and given legal status. Big, big difference! Greencards or nothing, and families stay home. Taxpayers should not be expected to pay for them.

• hardware Erda, Ut
    May 4, 2011 2:38 p.m.

Since when does the American Civil Liberties Union defend non- Americans? This is ridiculous. If you are here illegally, please sign the guest book, get your papers and we won't have a problem with you unless you are a drug runner, human trafficker, tagger, flying the Mexican Flag on your car and want to turn America into Mexico. Then if you are doing any of the above, please stay home. My ancestors came here gratefully in 1907 and became citizens. We all love America!

• JBrady Murray, Ut
    May 4, 2011 2:13 p.m.

The first part of any solution is to have the ethnic groups and pro-illegal people stop encouraging more people to come illegally, and start honoring and obeying the law.

• Hemlock Salt Lake City, UT
    May 4, 2011 1:53 p.m.

An astounding perversion of the law by the ACLU to blame the US for wanting to identify those who are in the country illegally. Why doesn't the Latino community help with the problem rather than stone wall? Check everyones' ID starting with me, I could be from anywhere out of the US where Caucasians live.

• anti-liar Salt Lake City, UT
    May 4, 2011 12:39 p.m.

Propagandists know that if a lie is repeated enough, the average person eventually will come to accept it as fact. In a false claim of moral authority -- which presumes to dictate to the rest of us what we are supposed to think -- subversive propagandists often conceal these lies behind the cloak of "political correctness."

I challenge the notion that there is something intrinsically wrong with racial profiling in the first place. Indeed I question the patriotism of any U.S. citizen of Mexican heritage, such as Alicia Cervantes, who wouldn't be HONORED to cooperate in the defense of Utah against the illegal Mexican invasion, by gladly showing her ID if asked.

If Cervantes were honest about it, she would acknowledge that the illegal immigration of Mexicans in Utah has in fact become so widespread, so prevalent, and that the likelihood of a Latino in Utah being illegal has in fact become so high, it actually is reasonable to consider race as a relevant factor.

If Cervantes doesn't like that, she ought to be honest enough to recognize that it is illegal Latinos alone -- not Americans -- who are to blame for this. She should hold THEM accountable.

• Sarah Nichole West Jordan, UT
    May 4, 2011 12:18 p.m.

When I lived in Ireland, I had to take my immigration card with me everywhere I went, and usually my passport too, so I could prove that I was in the country legally, and believe me, I had to use them fairly often to prove my immigration status. What's the big deal? Nearly every other country in the world requires this, and nobody throws hissy fits over it when they do it.

• BU52 Provo, ut
    May 4, 2011 12:13 p.m.

• Woody Newbury Park, CA
    May 4, 2011 9:36 a.m.

It seems to me that if I am arrested for a "Crime", I expect the police will see if there is an outstanding arrest warrant. This is common sense to see if a suspect is already wanted for a similar offense. That might not be fair if I only committed a traffic violation.

The same thing applies to immigration status. I had a neighbor witness her car being stolen. She identified him in a mug book, meaning he had done other crimes. At his trial, he had a translator for a language other than Spanish. He was convicted and sent to prison. He was released and the words "deportation" where never spoken. If the Utah law changes this, I applaud it.

• gizmo33 St. George, Utah
    May 4, 2011 8:55 a.m.

I dont care who you are if your here legally then have a good life. if your not here legally then take the appropreite steps and become a legal resident and all is fine with me. if not then I feel there is proper steps should be taken. I was born in France we came to America and filed for citizenship immediately and got it and learned the English language and the American way of life . I served in the U.S Army for 22 years. so I dont want to hear stories of how difficult it is to become a citizen because I went through it to and its not that hard at all. and I defended this country while in uniform and would do it again.

• Chickenchaser Centralia, WA
    May 4, 2011 8:28 a.m.

Oops, forgot. About 20 years ago someone suggested a buy back program wherein 600,000 attorneys would be paid to take a different occupation. Kind of a tort reform where we should begin with the ACLU.

• Chickenchaser Centralia, WA
    May 4, 2011 8:06 a.m.

When submitting an application for a job recently the employer demanded my original SS card denying a photocopy, wanted to see my original state teaching
    certificate and driver's license and I have been teaching 40+ years.

Put the ACLU in uniform and send them to the middle east.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    May 4, 2011 7:53 a.m.

If the ACLU is against it, then it must be a good thing.

• Trooper55 Williams, AZ
    May 4, 2011 7:38 a.m.

I believe that the ACLU is getting just like the churches are they want to give as much as they can to help the illegals. If they are here illegally than it's simple go back to were you came from and enter this country the legal way. I am getting tired of the illegals getting all the free schooling for their children, free medical and food stamps and what ever else they can get. Their are a lot of U.S. citizens out of work and having a hard time. I believe that most of the bills passed by the State of Utah will cost the good people of that state a lot of money in these lawsuits that are being filed, to benifit the illegals in this state. Wake up people and smell the coffee, before it's to late.

• wigglwagon Mariion, Va
    May 4, 2011 3:59 a.m.

"The majority isn't always right."

In this case the majority is right!

• Hunt Spanish Fork, UT
    May 4, 2011 2:28 a.m.

If any hispanic doesn't like the fact that some might think they are illegal when they are not, then stop aiding and abetting your illegal friends in their law breaking activities and help get rid of the illegal presence in our state.

• ECE Ferron, UT
    May 4, 2011 1:06 a.m.

"The law requires police to verify the immigration status of people arrested for felonies and class A misdemeanors and those booked into jail on class B and class C misdemeanors. It also says officers may attempt to verify the status of someone detained for class B and class C misdemeanors."

Sounds like they only have to worry about it when they are being put in jail for breaking ANOTHER law. Like many above have already said it's not that hard to carry around a drivers licence millions do it every day! Why are people trying so hard to keep criminals from getting caught?

• Cookie999 Sandy, UT
    May 4, 2011 12:51 a.m.

When I was in Mexico 14 years ago, I took my identification (driver's license and/or birth certificate copy) with me every time I went out in public if it was any farther than two miles away from my host's home--in essence, every time traveling required any motorized transportation. So really I don't see what the ACLU has against Utah's proposed law. I would rather the ACLU sue Utah over not appropriating funds to double the number of English classes, because it would be nice, as a former English major with experience teaching basic English, to actually make a decent wage teaching English on the side.

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    May 3, 2011 11:26 p.m.

"Yet another issue that the ACLU adopts that's squarely opposed to the views of the majority and general common sense."

The majority isn't always right.

• My thoughts Spanish Fork, Utah
    May 3, 2011 11:22 p.m.

How about 50 governors waking up and filing a law suit against the Federal Government for not doing its job. In fact how about them telling the Feds that since they will with hold funds if a state dont comply to certain regulations for some programs, that all 50 states will with hold all Federal tax dollars until the Feds do what they should do on immigration. Sounds fair to me.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    May 3, 2011 10:27 p.m.

You only have to worry about having porper documentation if you are a citizen who regularly breaks the law. If you do not break the law, you do not have to worry.

The claim that statements by children in school are justification for suing to stop a law is the stupidest one I have ever read.

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    May 3, 2011 9:56 p.m.

If Utah followed the Consitution, then they have nothing to worry about, right?

• JBrady Murray, Ut
    May 3, 2011 9:03 p.m.

The ACLU, National Immigration Law Center, Utah Coalition of La Raza and the Latin American Chamber of Commerce need to let America enforce it's immigration laws and stop encouraging illegal immigration.

Their honoring our laws is part of the solution.

On their website the National Immigration Law Center says this is a show me your papers during traffic stops law. That's misleading. It requires the person to be put under arrest for a felony or some misdemeanors.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    May 3, 2011 6:44 p.m.

Gosh, had we all joined the ACLU like U of U former President Young had suggested would this be a problem???

• peter Alpine, UT
    May 3, 2011 6:39 p.m.

The main reason the feds don't uphold the illegal immigration law is simple, Obama needs the votes. With or without illegals, inmates, and every other stunt pulled off by ACORN, Obama WON'T be reelected in 2012. The land of those yearning to breath free has awakened!

• RichardB Murray, UT
    May 3, 2011 6:06 p.m.

Everytime people question the laws constitutionality, I see the hypocrisy over the three guest worker bills that obviously intrude on the Federal governments powers.

Notice the Federal government did not challenge it. The parts of Arizona's that were block were removed.

Repeal HB 116. This rewarding lawbreakers and being stopped from enforcing out laws has left a bad taste in my mouth. Time was when a man was measured by his honesty.

• attentive Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2011 6:04 p.m.

"Illegal" There's the key word.

• Stenar Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2011 5:51 p.m.

Thank goodness for the ACLU!!! :)

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    May 3, 2011 5:47 p.m.

Owlmaster2 said

"The ACLU is one of the greatest defender of the Constitution in the United States.

If you truly believe the Constitution is inspired, you would become a paying member of the ACLU."

Owlmaster's statement is as true as saying Adolph Hitler was the greatest peacemaker the world has ever seen.

• American First Merced, CA
    May 3, 2011 5:39 p.m.

I don't feel sorry for the participants in this Foreign Insurgency called Reconquista.

• Ron1 Layton, UT
    May 3, 2011 5:36 p.m.

I did not know the constitution reserved the right to verify citizenship to its self? Where is it in the constitution?

• RichardB Murray, UT
    May 3, 2011 5:21 p.m.

Another Perspective, we were not at war with others except Germany. Things are done in times of war that we later regret. That's why it's important that we start enforcing our laws before this invasion gets so out of hand that it causes violence. Illegal immigration has caused it in other countries the past few years.

This law is identical to the Federal law Secure Communities passed in 2007. It requires that all people that are arrested have their immigration status checked, and those here illegally turned over to ICE.

A police officer has every right to verify your identity, no matter where you are, and to hold you until your identity can be verified.

• Thlete Draper, UT
    May 3, 2011 5:03 p.m.

Sooo, don't do stuff that will get you arrested or booked into jail and you won't have to prove your immigration status. Read the story, that is the ONLY time they will do as much. Sounds fair to me. I have to verify my license and registration every time I'm pulled over - no discrimination here, ACLU.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    May 3, 2011 4:58 p.m.

I'd rather spend the money to file a law suit against the ACLU for just being a cancer to the country.

• Another Perspective Bountiful, UT
    May 3, 2011 4:44 p.m.

The problem with putting people into internment camps during WW2 was the law didn't fall equally on all people. If it had many patriotic white families would have been interned just as many patriotic Japanese were.

Has this unjust law impacted the larger society people wouldn't have stood for it. It would have been overturned.

This is why the Utah law shouldn't stand. It is likely people will be treated
    differently because of race and since the burden and indignity will fall on only a few, there will never be an accurate risk vs reward evaluation of the law by those with the power to change the law.

• wigglwagon Mariion, Va
    May 3, 2011 4:13 p.m.

Why is that a problem? I am subjected to police questioning just because I want to get on a plane. We need a new law that will require police to question every single person in America! That should put an end to the whining since there is no favoritism.

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    May 3, 2011 3:28 p.m.

My only problem with this bill is that I wish it would simply verify the citizenship of EVERYONE pulled over. If the ACLU has a problem with that, then I hope they work on preventing the authorities from looking to see if there I have any existing on me when I get pulled over.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 3, 2011 3:15 p.m.

Are you for the rule of law or not?

The immigration issue makes it very easy to divide people into two camps:

a. Those who support the rule of law and the enforcement of laws (including immigration laws), and prosecution of people who break the laws.

b. Those who favor only selective enforcement of laws, and total disregard of some laws.

It is easy to see where people fall on this issue, and it is utterly disgusting that some who claim to defend our Constitution, or are public servants elected to uphold the law are so blatantly advocating breaking the laws.

Please, AG Holder, AG Shurtleff, ACLU, La Raza and friends- what laws can U.S. citizens, Anglos and legal immigrants choose to ignore.

Will you defend my "right" to ignore all income tax laws and traffic laws? If not, why not? Why would you discriminate against legal U.S. citizens who want to disobey laws?

Why can only illegal immigrants get to disobey laws with impunity?

Are you for the rule of law or not?

• bigsoccer Syracuse, UT
    May 3, 2011 3:08 p.m.

to: Rocket Science
    It is not un-american to say, illegals should not have any rights, they take our money for welfare, and other things that can help out legal americans.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    May 3, 2011 3:06 p.m.

The ACLU loses most of their cases that go to court.
    They get most of their "victories" by intimidation. People are intimidated by the cost of a law suit.

This is why we need loser pays. If we had loser pays the ACLU would go bankrupt and people would not be afraid of defending themselves.

• Jazz Bass Man Wellsville, Utah
    May 3, 2011 2:58 p.m.

The ACLU has a left wing agenda, which is to destroy our freedoms by destroying our rule of law. Americans should all get together and file a class action suit against THEM for aiding and abetting criminals.

If the illegals don't like the fact that Utah is going to enforce our immigration laws, which the feds will NOT do, then they are free to go back to mexico. It's not like they will be missed.

• Proud to be American West Jordan, UT
    May 3, 2011 2:44 p.m.

A guy gets pulled over for going 85 miles an hour in a 45 MPH speed zone. The police radar the man, and pull him over for speeding. The man turns to the police officer and says "you pulled me over because I am Latino didn't you?" The police officer responds, "no, I pulled you over because you were going 40 MPH over the speed limit sir."

I am so sick and tired of the race card! It is illegal to be in the United States illegally. Utah and Arizona realize that basic concept, and they are trying to do something about it.

Is the ACLU going to now sue our own federal government because we killed Osama Bin Laden and didn't give him a fair trial? Give me a break!

• momwrites10 Lehi, UT
    May 3, 2011 1:40 p.m.

You see the rub is--they are NOT citizens, therefore are not protected under OUR constitution, that is only reserved for LEGAL residents. I have all the compassion in the world for those trying to better themselves, but when they cheat and steal to accomplish that end, I lost any respect I had. If you want to be here so badly, do it the right and honest way, instead of butting in line of those who may be in the same situation, but want to follow the rule of law! How hard is it for people to understand that if they are here, they need to follow the USA's laws. If not, LEAVE!

Furthermore, these "rights" are for citizen's, not illegal aliens who are breaking our laws! I have to carry around my license every time I get in a car and drive. When I show my credit card, guess what, out comes my license! The police don't target just one race, they target everyone, as it should be!

• attentive Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2011 1:37 p.m.

I have to wonder how racial profiling by police officers can be an intelligent thought to even entertain. How many officers are of Hispanic descent? Does anyone have the audacity to suggest that a person of one culture would intentionally profile someone of his or her own skin color or ethnic characteristics? The proposed laws do NOT focus on nor would they lead to racial profiling; people would be retained if they were appearing to commit an illegal act. LOOKING illegal wouldn't be part of any of the good laws - DOING something illegal would.

• Rocket Science Brigham City, UT
    May 3, 2011 1:26 p.m.

Hold-on! Think about what is being said to those who are here illegally . . .because you are illegal you have no rights . . That is un-American to say. Americans believe all persons have certain rights. Yes, citizens have more rights such as voting etc. and legal residents have many rights but that does not negate all rights we recognize in the US to those here illegally. Lets work together for a solution that includes the combination of the rule of law and compassion. Expressions of hatred in the form of denying all rights will get us nowhere.

• Another Perspective Bountiful, UT
    May 3, 2011 1:06 p.m.

I wish the ACLU success. People who look as if they might be illegal will be put under an increased burden that other won't have to put up with. It isn't fair.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2011 12:53 p.m.

The ACLU is a joke....

Everyone gets asked for their drivers license, proof of insurance and registration.....

Proof positive you are here legally....

drivers card, no insurance, Mexican Registration.....youre' not, go home!

• joelwisch Albuquerque, NM
    May 3, 2011 12:48 p.m.

This is going to be a very long, hard battle. Basically it is a struggle to enforce the law in the least expensive way possible. The problem is.. illegal aliens are immediately thought to be Hispanics, and the Hispanics are working as hard as they possibly can to be identified as a separate race, and a race that is discriminated against.

If we do not move forward now to enforce the law, things will only get more difficult, and I do believe Mexico as well as those groups in the United States that support illegal aliens in country, are paying the money to get the law suits in place. I think that is important because those law suits do not express the will of the people. In turn, it may become important that the will of the people be expressed, and we may wind up with a vote on the issue of illegal aliens. I would welcome that.. and very soon.

• mammalou Somewhere in the USA, UT
    May 3, 2011 12:40 p.m.

This is so funny to me, because I thought what we passed was so close to amnesty that I am really having a hard time with it -- I'm trying, but not so good with me yet. Trying to be civil and understanding. Just a very good point that neither side will ever be saisified with anything other than our full way.

So thank you ACLU, I'm going back to my nothing expect for deportion and coming back in the front door.

May 3, 2011 12:33 p.m.

Those two groups were not the only ones who filed the suit.

Actions toward the enforcement side of the law, while leaving the guest worker provisions alone will only build greater resentment.

Compassion for law breakers while being hurtful to legal citizens and immigrants is not compassion. Compassion comes by teaching people to do things the right way, so that they continue doing it the rest of their lives.

• owlmaster2 Kaysville, UT
    May 3, 2011 12:25 p.m.

• procuradorfiscal Tooele, UT
    May 3, 2011 12:21 p.m.

Re: "ACLU Files Lawsuit . . . ."

What a shock! The ACLU filing a lawsuit whose sole purpose is to aid lawbreakers and hinder enforcement of a valid and important law?

Who'da thought?

The ACLU has surpassed its stereotype.

• bigsoccer Syracuse, UT
    May 3, 2011 12:11 p.m.

"The lawsuit alleges the law is unconstitutional because it interferes with federal power and authority over immigration. The suit also claims it allows unreasonable seizures and arrests in violation of the Fourth Amendment."

Thats because your illegal you have no rights if your illegal and don't pay taxes or vote.

• rakanik Ogden, Ut
    May 3, 2011 12:08 p.m.

I agree whole-heartedly. I have to show my "papers" to get a job, to buy smokes, alchahol, traffic stops so on and so forth. My wife, a LEGAL Immigrant from Romania, has to have her "A" number (permanent resident card) that we had to pay over $800 dollars for, on her person at all times. If we move, we have to pay through the nose to change her address legally on her card.
    we have worked hard to get to where we are today. i am not saying that the illegals do not do that, BUT, unlike them, I could not get help from the state/government when I was out of work because my wife is not a baby factory, nor is she illegal. It is a shame. I work so hard all my life so that I could have a retirement, but because of the costs going out to the illegals who DO NOT pay their bills, I may never be able to retire. Not to mention my kids and grandkids definately will never be able to get any form of help at retirement age because of the illegal situation.

• jmfay denver, co
    May 3, 2011 12:07 p.m.

They just won $300000 from Weld cty over the DA seizing papers when they went into a tax filing office due to alot of illegals filing to get refund; many of which were fraud. Hope UT fairs better.

ACLU doesnt care that Americans are being hurt; just want to make sure illegals are treated better then US Citizens.

Legal residents of the US are required to carry their papers all the time too like US citizens. Imagine what happens if you forget your purse / wallet with it in it and you get pulled over? Do they let you go? will the ACLU help you? not likely.

• OneMadGuy Salt Lake, UT
    May 3, 2011 11:53 a.m.

We need to find the ACLU members addresses and sent the illegals to live by them.

• OnlyInUtah Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 3, 2011 11:50 a.m.

I'm a legal citizen of the USA and I have to carry my "papers" with me all the time... it's called a drivers license. I used my birth certificate and other documents to obtain it and it proves my legal status. I see no reason that anyone should have a problem carrying legal proof that they can be here. This is just another example that the ACLU just likes to make money for their attorneys by filing stupid law suits.

May 3, 2011 11:27 a.m.

One bill interferes with federal power and authority over immigration, and the other three don't?

Perfect example of the dishonesty in the illegal immigration debate.