Blue roundup: ESPN.com examines BYU football

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    April 22, 2011 9:10 a.m.

My "speculation" comes from the reporting of Chip Brown in Austin, Texas who covers the Longhorns and the BIG 12-2. Where does your speculation come from? From my experience is that it is fans like yourself who make things up. I stand up what I wrote. Take it or leave it.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    April 22, 2011 8:48 a.m.

Your "cast in stone" speculation, is just that, speculation.

The PAC 10 could have sweetened the deal a little to entice Texas A&M to change its mind.

The PAC 10 could have tabled expansion because being able to add a championship game wasn't going to produce the financial windfall they were hoping for.

Texas could have decided to join the PAC 10 without the rest of the Big 12 south. If you review history you'll discover that Colorado and Texas were the original teams discussed when the PAC 10 was considering expansion before the Big 12 was created.

Suggesting that Utah was a lock to be invited to the PAC 10 is misleading and just a bunch of Utah homer drivel.

Utah was only invited because Larry Scott jumped the gun and invited Colorado to lock Baylor out of the picture, and Scott had no other viable options when the Big 12 south backed out of the deal.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    April 22, 2011 7:46 a.m.

Here are the facts again. Sammyg and others please memorize this. Your misleading comments over the past few months are becoming drivel. In the end, all that matters is that there were only two possible scenarios and they both included Utah. Utah was in, no matter which way it would have played out. If Texas said no it was going to be the PAC-12 with Utah and Colorado. If Texas said yes it was going to be the PAC-16 with Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Utah, and Colorado. Texas A&M was NEVER going to join the PAC under any circumstances, so it's irrelevant to consider an impossible scenario. The only scenarios that were ever actually possible were PAC-16 with Utah or PAC-12 with Utah. Scott was never going to invite Kansas. That was a rumor of desperation floated by the Kansas athletic department and was never going to happen. As for BYU joining the BIG 12, I wish BYU well and maybe it will happen but keep in mind that the Texas AD Deloss Dodds has stated in an interview with Chip Brown that the BIG 12 will not expand without Notre Dame.

• The Disillusionist Alexandria, VA
    April 22, 2011 6:47 a.m.

Re: hedgehog

"Again, as much as you want the phone to ring... it never will."

Another one of your ridiculous prophecies. With your track-record, BYU can probably expect a phone call any time now.

The dust may have settled in the conference realignment picture for the present, but it is not going to stay that way. If independence works out well for BYU, it may not matter.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    April 21, 2011 11:25 p.m.

Oooh, let me try this game! So... BYU's School of Music just got a large anonymous donation, so BYU is clearly better than the U of U. Ha!

Sounds silly to me. Does it sound silly to anyone else?

The PAC didn't pick BYU for non-sports and non-academic reasons. BYU has plenty of academic strengths that appeal to other universities (few universities have a higher percentage of students who continue to excel in graduate school). The exclusion was purely political (religious). It is unkown whether a major conference is willing to accept BYU's culture, but that is what would stop BYU from getting an invite in the future (not academics or sports). Can we move on from this topic?

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    April 21, 2011 11:09 p.m.

If going to a BCS game is what makes a team relevent, then UConn is a relevent program. Agreed?

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 21, 2011 10:20 p.m.

Dutchman, yes, fans take pot shots at each other all the time. Mixing it with Mr. Huntsman to somehow to elevate your point over BYU... classless.

• PAC 12 loves U Sandy, Utah
    April 21, 2011 10:08 p.m.

Hey, byu finally got some ESPN coverage. According to espn.com, Andrea Adelson is a blogger for non-aq schools. Independent schools such as Notre Dame and byu fall under her jurisdiction as "non-aq" schools. Thats pretty interesting!

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    April 21, 2011 8:49 p.m.

Byu is irrelevant because they have not gone to a BCS game yet. I didn't say win a BCS game I said actually play in one. It's the same pre season hype with BYU fans another mythical run at a New Mexico bowl or Vegas bowl berth. You guys are/were good in the MTN. that's it! If you couldn't win the conf and go to a BCS game while your days in the MTN. competing against top teams such as New Mexico,UNLV,Utah St,Colo St,Whyoming,SDSU, there's no way you will go now.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 21, 2011 8:28 p.m.

"The Big 12 will call BYU when they're ready to have a championship game"

I hate to break it to you but no BCS conference will ever invite BYU. Way, way, way to much baggage.

Deep down you and all your troll friends know the reason. Best you just focus on that little BYutv thing you hatched up.

Again, as much as you want the phone to ring... it never will.

• CG Orem, UT
    April 21, 2011 8:14 p.m.

The Big 12 will call BYU when they're ready to have a championship game. BYU's athletic programs and fan base bring much more to the table than Utah ever dreamed of. For the Big 12, inviting BYU will add much to the conference than simply the ability to hold a championship game in football.

• The Disillusionist Alexandria, VA
    April 21, 2011 8:13 p.m.

No matter how you size it up, U of U = filler.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    April 21, 2011 7:30 p.m.

Using your critical reasoning the BIG 12-2 needs two warm bodies to have a championship game but they haven't called BYU yet have they. Hmmmmm.

Whether is was the PAC 12 or the PAC 16 it was always going to include Utah, period. End of story. How many times do you need to be told this. Texas A&M was never going to join the PAC and never will. They have a standing invitation to join the SEC. Chip Brown of Austin, Texas has reported on this conclusively. Please stop spreading untruths.

BYU fans denigrate Utah all the time so your comment rings hollow. Other than an athletic program I just don't think BYU had much to offer to the presidents of the PAC 10 who we all know were the ones calling the shots.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    April 21, 2011 7:10 p.m.

Couple of things:
    1) It's April, and this "article" (links) already has a tons of posts. And they call this the "off" season. Fall cen't get here fast enough.
    2) BYU has a prestigious football program. Congrats to the team.
    3) I'd watch Fresno State vs LA Tech, but it gets triaged behind other more marquee games. The question isn't will the average college football fan watch the BYU game, the question is will there be any better games on?

From Superfly: "OH YEA? how bout Utah vs Montana State NO ONE will watch that. but you haven't seen one BYU fan say anything bout that."

....until now. And again and again.

From Jeff ls: "These snide comments are really uncalled for from either party...I am a BYU fan and I am going to watch every Utah football game that I can. I have been practicing my laugh."

Trying to figure out the last time a Cougar fan got all preachy early in their post and then broke their own advice later on. Probably yesterday.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 21, 2011 6:05 p.m.

@ Dutchman

No Dutchman, I don't think Huntsman's dollars and the Cancer Institute had anything to do with the decision.

Yours is another attempt to make the invitation more than it was. Let's go over the facts.

The PAC-10 wanted to be a super 16 team conference.
    Invitations were sent.
    Invitations were opened and ignored.
    Plan 'B' was implemented to save face and create a 12 team conference to have a championship game.
    Leftovers... Colorado and Utah were invited and in a nanosecond accepted.

By the way for a comment to mention Mr. Huntsmans's good work and then to denigrate BYU in the same paragraph somehow just does not seem too appropriate, ya think?

Of course we know that 'trolls' often put their little feet in their own mouths when in fact they ought to be kickin' themselves in the butt instead.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 21, 2011 5:27 p.m.

"Do you think the PAC 10 presidents were interested in research like that when the invitations went out to join the PAC 12?"

Not really.

The PAC just needed another team to fill out the roster so the PAC could hold a championship game. Any warm body would do as long they weren't religious.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 21, 2011 4:17 p.m.

"Do you think the PAC 10 presidents were interested in research like that when the invitations went out to join the PAC 12? That HD truck BYU had to offer obviously didn't impress much"

I'm sure the PAC12 Preidents are just as concerned with the advancement of medical research as they are "doak" awards or other on-field accomplishments.

It's nice to see the U is helping is such advancements and not self serving agendas. Yes, this is a big reason the UofU was invited to join the PAC.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    April 21, 2011 3:54 p.m.

Hey, there is an article in the Utah section on Jon Huntsman, Sr. giving another $41 million dollars for a total of almost $1 billion so far to the University of Utah Huntsman Cancer Institute, a now renowned national cancer center for patient care and research. Do you think the PAC 10 presidents were interested in research like that when the invitations went out to join the PAC 12? That HD truck BYU had to offer obviously didn't impress much. I'm sure that is pretty good reading, if you are into cancer research.

• Jeff ls Farr West, 84404
    April 21, 2011 3:26 p.m.

Wow, What comments! So no one is going to watch BYU on ESPN. I have a question. If no one wants to watch the cougars play, Why isn't Utah the teams that is constantly being invited to play again teams at Texas Stadium? That huge state of the art stadium that packs them in. Why in the world would BYU be invited a second time? These snide comments are really uncalled for from either party. I want Kyle to be successful, but as in all sports you have to wait and see what happens on the field. Look up, the sun is shinning. It is going to be a great season. Can't wait for September. I am a BYU fan and I am going to watch every Utah football game that I can. I have been practicing my laugh.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 21, 2011 2:58 p.m.

Your post discounting the brand of BYU and its viewership on ESPN has got to be one of the silliest posts ever on the subject. Congratulations, you're a 'certified' troll.

• Superfly St. George, UT
    April 21, 2011 1:16 p.m.

Especially if BYU somehow beats ol Miss, Texas AND Utah. You dont think ESPN will jump on the bandwagon and hype BYU like none other? It's all business, can't you see that? ESPN WAAANTS BYU to do well and win these games. Your crazy for thinking nobody will tune in.

• Superfly St. George, UT
    April 21, 2011 1:09 p.m.

Only 3 games have been announced on Friday night. who said anything about wednesday or thursday games? everyone points out the Idaho State game. wow debate 101. bring up BYU vs Texas, BYU vs. Oregon State. BYU vs Utah, BYU vs TCU, BYU vs Ol Miss, BYU vs Hawaii. You don't think these games will draw HUGE crowds?? They're all on saturday too. so dont just point out the Idaho state game and try to make that your best argument. thats like us saying, OH YEA? how bout Utah vs Montana State NO ONE will watch that. but you haven't seen one BYU fan say anything bout that.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    April 21, 2011 11:24 a.m.

@DevilishUte 4:21pm:

Who will be watching?? - You, h-hog, chrisB, wilary, and a host of other closet Cougar fans. That's all that matters.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    April 21, 2011 9:58 a.m.

BYU haters, Prognosticators, and Ute Trolls,

Why do you care enough to post?

Why do you feel the need to come on a BYU article and tell us that our contract with ESPN will be a bust, that no one watches because no one cares?

You cared enough to read an article about a team you dispise, and then took the time to comment about it.

Thanks for you wisdom, insight and input, but...

I think we will be just fine.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    April 21, 2011 9:55 a.m.

Enjoyed the game in Cache Valley last fall. I'll be in Austin this September enjoying another beat down of the cougs. Hook'em!!!

• Black Shirts South Jordan, UT
    April 21, 2011 9:33 a.m.

Here is the truth. Nobody and I mean nobody cares about Utah outside Utah. BYU is worldwide and Utah is 1/4 of Utah. Wow! The Utes will be 6-6 and will be back to 5000 in the stadium. BYU will beat Utah by 20 on Sept 17th, the day the Ute's football team becomes the Ute's basketball team. This will be a great year to watch the Utes falllllllllllllllllll. Go BYU and Nebraska!

P.S How many Utes got arrested this week? How many idiot Utes will fight before the game and quit during the game this year?

• Striker Omaha, NE
    April 21, 2011 8:50 a.m.

I'm just so glad to no longer see UNLV and Wyoming on the schedule. Can't wait until we get rid of the rest of the WAC weaklings (USU, SJSU) and play real teams that can win. Still many months before the season and we have 3 games on ESPN. Can't wait to get more on there. This season is going to be incredible! I love how Doman says Apo is as good of a WR as BYU has had. Since BYU will be on ESPN so much, I bet even Meyer will tune in. Oh wait, he has to now that ESPN will make him talk about BRIGHAM YOUNG UNIVERSITY!

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    April 21, 2011 8:27 a.m.

Ah, please. A little more civility, thank you.

Hmmm, who to believe, who to believe?

ESPN, who appears to know what they are doing, saying that BYU football will be a successful broadcast venture, and putting their money where their mouth is?

Trolls (and admittedly some polite skeptics, thanks for your input!) predicting a broadcast debacle?

ESPN? Trolls? ESPN? Hmmmm...

• cooperpug Salt Lake City, UT
    April 20, 2011 11:27 p.m.

Don't think I'm a troll. I think my point was that you are the troll running from Utah article to Utah article ripping on the U as you have time and time again. Believe it or not I like both teams to do well, but do root for the Utes against the Cougs. I went to Utah and BYU. And no, my feelings don't get hurt over football. Not sure where you were able to jump to name calling me an elitest, arrogant, Ute ego. I resorted to no such name calling, yet. I just find it ironic, and quite entertaining, that the same thing you criticize the idiot Ute fans for is exactly what you do.... Guess there are idiots on both sides. They make me laugh; especially you.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 20, 2011 11:03 p.m.

cooperpug | 10:38 p.m. April 20, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Veritas, BTW I just read about three of your posts on a Ute article so who cares if a Ute fan is posting on your precious BYU territory; futhermore, did you just compare UTEP to BSU? Are you serious? You're as bad as the Ute BYU haters.

I always post on articles about in state teams. Find one that is negative about the team. I bag on Ute fans because...

It's so easy.

Utah fans keep scores on "trolls"... Are you one?

I did not compare anything but BYU and Utah's bowl wins.

Utah fans bagged on the Vegas Bowl for so long, I always like to bring that one up.

They bag on the WAC too, so if that hurts your feelings, that was a double "embarassement" for Utah fans that refuse to see the big picture, and focus on "conferences", and "mid-majors"-- sorry.

I could always bring up scores if that would somehow massage your elitest, arrogant, Ute ego...

I just seem to forget. Was the Vegas Bowl close?

• manchester10 Bountiful, UT
    April 20, 2011 10:42 p.m.

Playing a few bottom feeders this year is just because of the short time to create an independent schedule. I'm sure that I'm not alone in being tired of playing the likes of New Mexico, Wyoming, etc... year after year on the mtn otherwise known as the worst coverage of sports I have ever seen. BYU fans across the nation will now get to see their cougs play week in and week out. This can only be good for the program and for its fans.

I wish the U well in the Pac-12. If they play like the team that showed up against the Broncos. You are in for a long year my friends. Let's hope Norm Chow can teach Wynn how to be a man.

I hope the Cougars can put up good fights against the prestigious schools and make ESPN glad they made this deal. Heaps for Heisman! But. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

• cooperpug Salt Lake City, UT
    April 20, 2011 10:38 p.m.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    April 20, 2011 9:57 p.m.

The glass is half full... no more mtn squinting. Beyond that... I don't care. I get to watch BYU games. Again, beyond my immediate enjoyment I don't care whatever nonsense the insipid are spouting. Go Cougars! In HD. All over the place.

• aggieblue Saint George, UT
    April 20, 2011 9:41 p.m.

Who will watch? Three kinds of people, those that want BYU to loose, all of you here on this article, those who want the Y to win, this article and those who want to watch exciting football. The type of offense the Y runs is the one that people love, long passes, running backs all of it.

Don't worry there will be plenty of viewers, ESPN knew that.

Heaps is exciting and will gain a national recognition thru the network, something that was absent for players like Johnny Harline, and others. The MTN had zero exposure.

Go Aggies.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 20, 2011 9:25 p.m.

@devilshute You said "I don't think people, outside of BYU fans, will tune in to watch BYU trounce Idaho State and other games like that. It's not going to happen".

The point that you make for BYU is much appreciated. There will be millions of people watching all BYU games because, pay attention because this will be hard for you, there are millions of BYU fans. Throw in thousands of fans from Idaho state and likely a few hundred thousand who will watch at least part of the game because of curiosity about one of the nations most recognized schools and because it is on ESPN and you have what? That's right, a major contract with ESPN because they are a nationally relevant institution.
    Now go and tell your friends that you understand and explain it to them.

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    April 20, 2011 8:41 p.m.

Heaps is your prototypical dropback passer, so expect to see three-, five- and seven-step drops in a progression-type offense. But BYU also has the ability to do no-huddle from the shotgun. Variability is the key, and so is being less predictable. With Doman in charge, you can expect something old-but-new from this offense.

This is refreshing to hear, sounds like some nice changes to the offense are in store. Im looking forward to see what Doman brings to the table. I appreciated Anae during his time as the OC, but he his playcalling became a bit too predictable at times.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 20, 2011 8:28 p.m.

Naval Vet | 5:30 p.m. April 20, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    scenic view:

""This is a common mistake of the naysayers, underestimating the drawing power of BYU. Take last years New Mexico Bowl for example."

As I remember that was a W for BYU.

How did the U do against a mighty "WAC" team in the Vegas Bowl?

"Waaaahhhhh" AC?

Naval... your serve....

BYW, for those keeping score...
    This is a BYU article...

• AK Cougar Palmer, AK
    April 20, 2011 8:13 p.m.

I am just glad the Cougars will be on TV that I can watch. I really do not care who they play so long as they play decent. It is extra fun when they win.

Go Cougars.

• Bottom Line Draper, UT
    April 20, 2011 8:02 p.m.

Hey did anybody see if they ranked Coach K Jr as a good hire?

• joecoog North Las Vegas, NV
    April 20, 2011 7:14 p.m.

Sorry, Usc was number 2 not number 1

• joecoog North Las Vegas, NV
    April 20, 2011 7:13 p.m.

Now wheres stockton, that is not fair to assume that the 12000 people that went to the spring game were not ute fans. I will call hedgehog and chris b on stuff that they think is true but have no way of telling and i will do it to cougar fans. If your going to make a claim back it up.

• joecoog North Las Vegas, NV

44. Cali
    45. Stanford
    53. Oregon
    56. Oregon st
    60. Arizona
    77. Wash. St
    Look at that, byu in the top 25 once again and utah just missed. Atleast you guys can say that all the byu fans saying that you are going to be bottom feeders to stick it

• Where's Stockton ??? Bowling Green, OH
    April 20, 2011 6:49 p.m.

@DevelishUte... a question of immense implication from one of the barely 7000 who might possibly have showed up for Utah bb home games. Do you really believe that the 12,000...no make that 15,000 that the DNews says supposedely showed up for the Utes Spring Game were actually all Ute Fans??? Just like everything else the Utes do they depend on at least a 3rd to half of their crowds at home games to be Cougar fans who like to attend both School's athletic events... something in which most ute fans do not recipricate or even remotely fathom. Believe me You will not have 12,000 true Ute fans sitting in the 92,516 seat Memorial Colloseum on Sept 10th. More than likey you might have that many Cougar fans from the Southern Cal area coming out to support the Utes.

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    April 20, 2011 6:27 p.m.

"I know plenty of alumni and plenty of Mormons outside of Utah that don't care about BYU nearly as much as you think they do."

Your limited circle of acquaintances is meaningless when it comes to the size of the BYU fanbase outside of Utah.

It's not arrogance, it's a fact, that BYU has been an ESPN media darling for decades. BYU was drawing large audiences playing past and current WAC teams like Utah State, Wyoming, New Mexico and UTEP 20 years ago.

Your jealousy notwithstanding, the BYU/ESPN partnership is going to be very successful. Not every game will be a sensation, but there will be enough to keep fans tuning in.

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    April 20, 2011 6:08 p.m.

This past week one of the top sports radio jocks here in the Seattle market ("Softy" Mahler, on KJR AM) had Jake Heaps on the air by phone from Provo. He told the audience that the reason he made the call, even though he was still mad at him for not going to Washington, was that he saw Jake as the next big college star. I found that remarkable, based on how PAC-centric KJR, the home of Husky sports, typically is.

With all the negative publicity in college athletics, lots of people who know nothing about the Church and care even less about the state of Utah are hungry for the kind of teams BYU fields. With BYU playing on national TV and in many big games this year (4 of the top 50 non-con games in 2011 are BYU games, according to College Football News), BYU will be picking up fans, especially among sports families with kid fans. If BYU football has anything approaching a decent season this year, they will be the roundhouse to the basketball team's setup punch.

Emotional? Sometimes, I admit. If this is what "frantic" feels like, then pour me a double!

• Independent Henderson, NV
    April 20, 2011 5:56 p.m.

Honestly, how many teams are there that can draw millions of viewers, on their own, on national television? You BYU haters are making a straw-person argument. I don't care how many people watch BYU play on Thursday night. I can watch them now, unlike my Alma Mater, even though I live in the same television market where they play, because UNLV could barely even draw their own friends and family to watch their games. BYU has a fantastic football program worthy to be televised nationally. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise. The Cougars' frantic and emotional fanbase plus frantic emotional people who love to hate them will watch, that's who.

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    April 20, 2011 5:50 p.m.

DevilishUte, Naval Vet

The common mistake of BYU haters is not recognizing reality that ESPN wouldn't have signed BYU to an 8-year contract if their empirical evidence hadn't demonstrated that BYU football draws fans nationwide.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 20, 2011 5:30 p.m.

scenic view:

"This is a common mistake of the naysayers, underestimating the drawing power of BYU."

One of the common mistakes of cougar fans is the overestimation of their drawing power. Take last years New Mexico Bowl for example. The cougars game against UTEP only drew a Nielsen rating of 1.8. That a significantly lower draw than the 2.2 Colorado State-Fresno State [2008] and 2.4 Wyoming-Fresno State [2009] New Mexico Bowls.

The cougars last drew a 2.2 with their 2009 Las Vegas Bowl game vs. Oregon State. What that means is a Wyoming-Fresno State New Mexico Bowl > a cougar-Oregon St. Las Vegas. Can you wrap your mind around that? Why would an "also-ran MWC team" vs. an "also-ran WAC team" game trump a "MWC-Champion" vs. "Pac-10 team" game?

Answer: Because you're a bush-league mid-major. Nobody cares about the cougars except to rip on them and their frantic and emotional fanbase. But at least you're still good for that.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    April 20, 2011 4:55 p.m.

DevilishUte, let's do a little math. There are about 13 million Mormons worldwide. About 6 million live in the US, so let's select from that pool. Let's say only have are BYU fans, then we have 3 million. Let's say only a third care enough to watch a game. That's one million.

Yeah, these could be overestimates (I don't think anybody knows for sure), but don't forget that there are non-LDS people who do watch BYU play (probably a few, but they are out there) as well as BYU haters who will most definately watch just to cheer against BYU (you really think hedgehog doesn't watch BYU play?). A million people just watching BYU is a good number, not enough to break records, but certainly better than the status quo.

Again, I don't think anyone knows exact numbers, but ESPN has statistics about how many have watched their past games and judging by the deal they made, they considered it a worthy investment.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    April 20, 2011 4:39 p.m.

Please provide empirical evidence supporting your claim that BYU games are among the highest rated games on ESPN. Please state your source. Thanks!

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    April 20, 2011 4:22 p.m.

@Duck Hunter, scenic view and everyone else....

We shall see. We shall see. Your arrogance is once again on display. I don't think people, outside of BYU fans, will tune in to watch BYU trounce Idaho State and other games like that. It's not going to happen. That's not to say that when BYU schedules games against better teams, people won't watch. That being said, I think you are overestimating BYU's national presence. I know plenty of alumni and plenty of Mormons outside of Utah that don't care about BYU nearly as much as you think they do.

@Duck Hunter

I love your cyber muscles...I'd like to see you make snide, rude comments like that to me in person, especially given that we have no prior history.

Besides following Utah, I also follow ASU. ASU played Idaho State last year and I turned it off after the first quarter (maybe I'm not a "true" fan???). People will not watch lopsided games. You'll see.

• scenic view Baltimore, MD
    April 20, 2011 4:06 p.m.

"Who's going to be watching those games on ESPN?... Do you watch LaTech vs. Fresno State when the game is broadcast on ESPN?"

LaTech and Fresno State aren't BYU.

Ironically, even the BYU naysayers will be watching.

• BlueSaint South Jordan, UT
    April 20, 2011 3:59 p.m.

Hey, there is an article on a former Ute blowing all his wealth. I'm sure that is pretty good reading, if your into Ute football.

• Cougars - Wise Older Brothers Anaheim, CA
    April 20, 2011 3:49 p.m.

Who will be watching?

The nation, including U, because BYU and Jake Heaps will be playing.

• Making Sense Herriman, UT
    April 20, 2011 3:37 p.m.

I was expecting to see Hedgie over here commenting. I found him crawling outside of his hole on a ute article. He saw his shadow and there will be several more weeks of bitter comments.

The Independence push for BYU football has definitely built more excitement around the program.

Oh, and what a great baseball game last night as the Y pulls it out in the bottom of the 11th!!!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 20, 2011 3:35 p.m.

ESPN didn't give BYU an exclusive contract because no one would watch. To the contrary BYU has fans all over the country, litterally millions of them that will watch. For evidence just have a look at ESPN's alltime highest rated college football games and you will find BYU well represented on it.

Certainly your utah education was better than you have shown here wasn't it?

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 20, 2011 3:11 p.m.

More legitimate praise for one of the best programs in the country. It is a great time to be a Cougar fan. I am predicting a good season with a minimum of 9 wins. I am really looking forward to the Cougars playing several very good teams this Fall. The new coaches have really instilled a winning attitude.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    April 20, 2011 3:01 p.m.

Who's going to be watching those games on ESPN? Just because it's on TV, doesn't mean people will watch. Do you watch LaTech vs. Fresno State when the game is broadcast on ESPN?

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    April 20, 2011 2:51 p.m.

Heaps is poised to have a breakout sophomore season. With all summer and fall camp to work on timing and reads with his receivers, the BYU passing game is going to be awesome.

I appreciate all that Robert Anae contributed to the BYU program, but he really made some poor decisions last year that contributed mightily to a less-than stellar season. The two-headed quarterback was a disaster. As much as I like Riley, Heaps should have been the starter from day one. Expect Doman to be much more agressive in his play calling than Anae. Doman wouldn't have sat on the ball after moving inside the 20 with plenty of time left to score a touchdown and seal the win. Heaps will be give much more freedom to call his own plays.

BYU might have more depth this year than any year since Bronco became BYU's head coach. They'll still be quite young, but they have a lot of talented players that are going to open some eyes.

This is going to be a fun team to watch.

• SportsCenter Olympus Cove, Utah
    April 20, 2011 2:13 p.m.

JustGordon | 2:31 p.m. March 29, 2011
    Cottonwood Heights, UT

"Gosh...the Utes on ESPN....no ESPN love for BYU? Oh, I forgot...only on Wednesdays and Thursdays."

ESPN | 9:00 a.m. April 19, 2011
    Bristol, CT

"3 reasons BYU's offense will be better"

1. Jake Heaps is the starter.
    2. Doman is in.
    3. Depth.

BYU's contract with ESPN, btw, doesn't include any Wednesday games, only Thursday, Friday, and Saturday games on ESPN/ESPN2 and occassionally on ESPNU.

Not bad for an independent that supposedly got left behind. The Cougars will receive more revenue for one home game on ESPN, than they were getting for the entire year, all sports combined, on the MTN.

The Utes will be on ESPN's PAC 12 blog.

The Cougars will be on ESPN television.

It's a great time to be a Cougar fan!

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 20, 2011 2:12 p.m.

BYU will be playing on Thursday and Fridays.

They got every recruit signed that they wanted, and anyone who did not sign, they did not want.

Also, I'm thinking of moving to Ann Arbor for the cheaper housing?

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    April 20, 2011 1:18 p.m.

Let the trolling begin.

Make me laugh, make me cry, tell me why BYU is a bust, that they will fail, that going independent will be bad.

But remember...

What you say will more than likely come back to haunt you.