Utah

Video shows BASE jumps off LDS Church Office Building

Comments

• sfcretdennis Nice, CA
    April 21, 2011 7:56 a.m.

charlie91342 | 4:36 p.m. April 20, 2011 Sylmar, CA There is alwas a first time that someone my sue. now these two might have got hurt and might not have sued but the chuch or any bilding owner can be held lible and if action had not been take and someone ells tried and got hurt they might have sued. Would you wont to take a change on being sued my allowing someone to do something dangerus on your property? There are may was of getting ones thrills with out trespassing our violating someone ellses right to be safe from posable law sutes. People have got hurt whil commint crimes of thif and sued the owner of the place where they got hurt whil trying to rob them of their possions. So can you truly blame someone for not wonting to get sued?

• washcomom Beaverton, OR
    April 20, 2011 10:56 p.m.

I wonder what they would have said if they had encountered a member of the Quorum of the Twelve, or even the First Presidency on the roof top?

"Miller said he was surprised the jump upset church security, and he bristled at the amount of the fines prosecutors levied against him and Rector." There's a reason why security thwarted it the first time. I'm surprised that there weren't more fines and restitution required.

But then again, they were shown some mercy, and Miller didn't fully comprehend that.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    April 20, 2011 8:53 p.m.

Actually Charlie, I think you have it backwards, most people posting have not been critical of these two guys. Only one or two posts have been outright critical of them, and many have said how cool what they did was.

Americans love dare devils!

But, yeah, I don't think I could ever do what they did. I don't even think I could climb out on that ledge without being tied in. Tightly. Haha. But I would have loved to see them do it.

I'll say it again: them boys are just plain crazy!

• higv Dietrich, ID
    April 20, 2011 6:48 p.m.

I was wondering same thing if his Grandpa is a GA

• SL Rexburg, ID
    April 20, 2011 5:20 p.m.

There was an LDS general authority named Hartman Rector Jr. Could this be his grandkid?

• charlie91342 Sylmar, CA
    April 20, 2011 4:36 p.m.

are you people serious? geez - all I can say is other than a couple of you, you are very prudish, or just plain old fashioned.

the ONLY reason you rag on these two guys is because you don't have the nerve to jump from any building.

these guys deserve props for having the nerve to do it. and if some stuck up old fashioned people want to fine them and talk down about them, then thats ok.

base jumpers don't sue anyone. find ONE example. and they planned it all out carefully. the thing that amuses me the most is that if they do it again on another building, they will probably go to jail. And isn't that just a grand use of taxpayer funds... yeah, lets put them in prison with murderers and rapists - that will teach them a good lesson.

you all make having fun no fun at all anymore...

• DD JayMario American Fork, UT
    April 20, 2011 3:49 p.m.

BASE jumping is cool. Getting fined and put on probation isn't so cool. Hopefully the not-so-cool result will overcome the lure of the super-cool action.

• Roman K SLC, Utah
    April 20, 2011 3:35 p.m.

If that were two ninjas jumping off the Empire State Building, it couldn't have been any cooler!

• Rebel-Aggie Provo, UT
    April 20, 2011 1:14 p.m.

The video is pretty sweet. I've never seen Base jump videos, and it felt pretty cool just watching it!

• scotchipman Lehi, UT
    April 20, 2011 12:58 p.m.

I still don't see the big deal with this, no harm no foul. Go to vimeo and do a search for Marshall Miller, great stuff and most are a lot more interesting than this little BASE jump.

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    April 20, 2011 12:39 p.m.

Why did he ever fight this in court? They videotaped themselves trespassing and jumping off of the building. There is no question they were guilty of it. So why spend money fighting it? Take the $300 fine and then try to sell the video.

The trouble with their marketing idea, is that it has been done soo many times and people can download videos similar to that for free. Who would buy it?

Oh well.

• bikeboy Boise, ID
    April 20, 2011 12:37 p.m.

Hmmm... Hartman Rector... the name is vaguely familiar.
    (-;

I'm glad nobody got hurt. And no doubt the possibility that they might get nabbed, is stacked on top of the adrenaline rush of the jump itself.

The Church better put some additional barriers in place, or this could become a "how to do it" video lesson. (Or they could alternatively penalize everybody by just closing the deck. Oft-times that is the result, when a few scofflaws are unwilling to follow the rules.)

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    April 20, 2011 12:14 p.m.

Strong work! "A nice little flip" haha, I would love to know where that quote is from, did he say it in court? Haha. Got to go see the video now. You base jumpers are crazy!

• the_beav SLC, UT
    April 20, 2011 11:58 a.m.

@MoJules
    I would never let a two year old BASE jump! Thats just crazy.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    April 20, 2011 11:25 a.m.

Another comment, I just read about the seven year old boy that has earned money for ten wheelchairs for the people in Haiti. Maybe if these guys could act with the same maturity as this young man did, they would be able to do something to help others rather then acting like, well, a two year old?

• Tyler Holladay, UT
    April 20, 2011 11:24 a.m.

alternate

Do you honestly believe that? BASE jumpers know full well the dangers they are putting themselves in while performing their sport. To most, that is part of the thrill.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    April 20, 2011 11:18 a.m.

All I can say is we have phases of growing up. I did dumb things, not like this at that age and thought I was so wise and new it all. But nearly 60 I look back and realize I was still so immature and I know I will continue to mature. I think what brings it on is when our children are teens and young adults and we realize that they need someone with maturity to be an example now. I see this with one of my step kids, they have a 15 year old and mom and dad have finally started to act more like adults. Cause it isn't working the other way. So if hopefully these guys will start to think like adults someday soon. As for the church not being happy about their jump, no duhhhh.

• BigSportFan! Beverly Hills, CA
    April 20, 2011 10:49 a.m.

That was very cool.

• Prodicus Provo, UT
    April 20, 2011 10:44 a.m.

True that the fine and 6mo probation seem kind of steep- but if it were much less some folks might just see it as an admission cost for the ride.

• Arizona2 Tucson, AZ
    April 20, 2011 10:36 a.m.

He was surprised that it upset security--is he daft? The owner of buildings like that could be held liable for accidents if they permitted people to BASE jump. If the two thought it wouldn't upset security, why didn't they just go ask to do it?

• alternate Salt Lake City, UT
    April 20, 2011 10:28 a.m.

So what would have happened if there would have been a problem with the jump and one of the guys was injured or maybe even killed. How long would it be before a lawsuit surfaced against the LDS church for "allowing" the event?