Faith

Missionaries sing national anthem at NBA game in San Antonio

Comments

• Mrs TAP Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 23, 2013 1:20 p.m.

Next to best rendition of our national anthem I've ever heard! And thank you, DN, for the inspiring article. I'm happy that these remarkable young people got the chance to "show their stuff"!

• AZnewser Snowflake, AZ
    April 23, 2011 12:34 p.m.

I really wanted to go see Barcelona play Madrid on my mission, but could never get permission. As my mission stretched along the Costa Brava to the Costa del Sol, I did however often see scantily clad women. If we were to avoid that, we would have had to avoid the whole mission! A large contingent of missionaries went to the Cotton Bowl to see BYU beat KSU in 1997. It was fun to see. The choir sounded great to me on the Youtube clip.

• JNA Layton, UT
    April 22, 2011 1:27 p.m.

TO CJR1,
    This was sanctioned and approved by their Mission President/s. My father, a former Mission President would have received approval from the General Authorities, so if the General Authorities approve, then I approve so get off the soapbox. This was an awesome event and I hope many more experiences like this happen in the mission field.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    April 22, 2011 12:47 p.m.

@Gentile:

There's one in every crowd - how does it feel to be "the one"?

• mecr Bountiful, UT
    April 22, 2011 12:18 a.m.

Thanks AggieLove. I know he did right and I couldn't be more pleased with him. He loves football. He played during high school. He was happy to tell me he tackled a guy who was bigger and heavier than him. He is the kind of kid who would be friends with anybody no matter race or religion or looks, most of all, he would never criticize them. I am just glad he's better than me.

• SATX San Antonio, TX
    April 21, 2011 9:28 p.m.

CJR1,

Never fear CJR1. The missionaries were only courtside for the pregame shoot-around. During the game, they sat on the top row, far away from the court. They left after the 3rd quarter...

• Aggielove Junction city, Oregon
    April 21, 2011 7:17 p.m.

Mecr. No your son did his best to relate to the people. I served in the inner city of kansas city. Some say, you should obey and wear a suit, so they respect you. Some folks just dont relate if they feel like your better than them, or there intimidated by you. Your son did right.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    April 21, 2011 4:08 p.m.

LOL at many comments. Chuckling at the missionary that said this was a highlight of his mission. I am sure he will "Treasure" this experience for years to come. Makes me think he did not ever baptize someone and felt the thrill of being an instrument in the Lord's hand during that process.

• CJR1 Tyler, TX
    April 21, 2011 2:48 p.m.

This wasn't a question of of Biblical commandment or perceived pharisaic attitude. The fact is, missionaries are asked to live a higher law which prohibits them from engaging in all sorts of everyday activities in order to fulfill the unique nature of their assignments. My original question then is a fair one, and one which seems to be getting lost in a storm of overly-emotional interjections. Since missionaries aren't allowed to watch movies or television, listen to the radio, or read the newspaper, or to be frank, go to Hooters, should they have court-side seats to the Spurs 'Silver Dancers'? That is the question which has been ignored. I live in the world right along with everyone else, but for two years, full-time missionaries are specifically meant to avoid most of what the everyday world has to offer. Your opinion may differ than mine on what is appropriate for a missionary. I am simply drawing an objective comparison with their other undisputed Missionary Handbook standards. Visit the Silver Dancers website and draw your own conclusions.

• Aggielove Junction city, Oregon
    April 21, 2011 1:49 p.m.

You cant put a number to how many southern baptist have sang this beatiful song before. Thousand of times. I love to hear a great baptist voice. Did i mention i am a mormon? There must of been a reason they sang the song. Talent! Lets just be peaceful folks, its just a happier way to live.

• mecr Bountiful, UT
    April 21, 2011 1:05 p.m.

I just remember my son, who is serving a mission, told me once he played football with some guys from the getto in one of those big cities. So, I guess that's forbidden too? They were less actives but now they are full active. Is that wrong too?

• mecr Bountiful, UT
    April 21, 2011 1:04 p.m.

So I guess our sisters missionaries should covered their heads like the muslims? and forget about going to big cities because they are like sodoma and gomorra for our missionaries? I don't know but the thought of Jesus going to preach the aamaritanes and telling the apostles it was all right is coming to my mind. What about Pres. Monson then? I have a photo of him greeting some little cheerleaders from an utahn dance academy who performed on a jazz game. He is not allowed to go to those games either? This is sounding like the puritanes and pharisees, really!

Anyway, I think it was just FANTASTIC!! What a great way to talk about family history! I loved it! And about the choir, wow, I am not a master in music but I just loved to hear the bass line, somebody there has a beautiful bass voice. I love it. And my congratulations to the mission president. Great idea!

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    April 21, 2011 10:38 a.m.

Jody, Dont most NBA teams have a team Chaplin? Im pretty sure the Jazz do. I remember reading a story about him in the last year or two. And yes, some professional athletes pray in the locker room before the game as a group.

Seems like some people are a little overly sensitive. Isnt that what makes this country great? People can pray in the locker room and have a "Mormon Night" at their arena if the want. Amazing.

Some people need to relax, even Sean Elliot said the event brought his family closer together.

• CJR1 Tyler, TX
    April 21, 2011 10:18 a.m.

Ted H,

If that's your extrapolation, then you too clearly miss the point. It's one thing to work and minister in the world, it's completely another to invite it into your living room.

The underlying purpose of a mission isn't to provide young men and young women the opportunity to be exposed to the sights and sounds of the world, that's a study abroad program they can pursue in college. A mission is a ministry which requires not only selfless service, but leaving behind the things of the world.

"Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world."

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    April 21, 2011 10:15 a.m.

Great story. I remember my missionary days in Australia back when the Jazz were in the finals in 97. Some nice members knew how much I loved the Jazz and would invite us over and conviently have the Jazz game on in the back ground. They didnt even care if I watched. :]

As a missionary sometimes you just gotta free your mind. Being able to actually go to a Jazz game while on my mission would have been incredible. (and basically impossible, but you know what I mean) Congratulations to all these missionaries!

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    April 21, 2011 9:50 a.m.

cjr,

Great comment. Certainly if the missionaries were outside walking the streets of San Antonio like they normally do they woudlnt have come across any women exposing anything from the neck to the ankles either right?

We should recommend to church leaders that to avoid anything evil these missionaries spend 2 years inside an apartment with no windows and not leaving their apartment for any reason.

This is the best way to avoid seeing something maybe they dont want to. This would also avoid hearing any bad words that they likely heard while at the game too.

This will also make where missions are served not as big of a deal, since they'll be staying inside the apartment for the full 2 years also.

I look forward to more of your great ideas CJR. Thank you.

• CJR1 Tyler, TX
    April 21, 2011 9:42 a.m.

I am certain the music was inspiring. I am reminded however that in general, missionaries are not allowed to watch television, listen to the radio, attend movies, or read the newspaper. Their music listening options are generally limited by their missions guidelines to hymns, and their reading materials to scriptures and a very small handful of church-approved publications, all this in an effort to keep from being distracted by the images and messages of the world.

So my question simply is this-- while at the game, did the missionaries get to watch the San Antonio 'Silver Dancers'?

Mormon Night at sports events is a non-issue. What troubles me deeply is that a mission is the last place an LDS young man should be exposed to a Las Vegas-styled dance show.

• BP Salt Lake City, UT
    April 21, 2011 9:40 a.m.

I don't think you're allowed to sing the 3rd verse of the star spangeled banner at public events.

The Spurs run a classy organization...I've thought that for years, and I've never minded seeing them hoist the trophy at the end of the year (it feels good to see a classy organization succeed).

Gentile...clearly you've never lived in Texas. Keep in mind that this is the state in which the state legislature voted unanimously in 2007 to paint the words "In God We Trust" above the House and Senate chamber rostrums.

And don't mess with Bapist Bingo night in Atlanta. You will only get hurt...

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 21, 2011 9:40 a.m.

What a great way to raise the profile of the Church in a positive way, both the family history part and the missionaries singing the national anthem. Truly inspired leaders that arranged for this to happen and great young people who pulled it off.

• MrsH Altamont, UT
    April 21, 2011 9:20 a.m.

Great article, funny comments...what's not to like?

• deseret pete robertson, Wy
    April 21, 2011 7:48 a.m.

Gentile -- It would have really been fun if they had sung the next verse:
    " Oh thus be it ever when free men shall stand between their loved homes
    and the wars desolation.
    Blessed with victory and peace may the HEAVENS rescued land
    Praise the POWER that has Made and Presereved us a Nation."

I love the power of good music.

• cindyacre Shelley, ID
    April 20, 2011 8:08 p.m.

I think that the audience had the final say.

• hymn to the silent Holladay, UT
    April 20, 2011 7:47 p.m.

Well, it could've been Roseanne Barr...then the whole place would have been praying for it to end.

• cindyacre Shelley, ID
    April 20, 2011 7:32 p.m.

gentile is right - this is an infringement of separation of church and sports. :)

• Wally West SLC, UT
    April 20, 2011 6:59 p.m.

Does it mean The Spurs should be the preferred team of every member? ROFL.

• HaveANiceDay Ogden, UT
    April 20, 2011 6:35 p.m.

Boston Celtics have had a Mormon night for some years now (Usually when the Jazz come to town).

• SUUstudent Cedar City, Ut
    April 20, 2011 6:00 p.m.

The LA Dodgers have Mormon night, and its always a big hit every year. Its not playing with fire Gentile, its smart and draws crowds to major league sports.

• AZRods Maricopa, AZ
    April 20, 2011 12:52 p.m.

For anyone concerned about what this world may be coming to, like having LDS missionaries sing at an NBA game, you may try getting out to any profesional sporting event.
    Or you may just try getting out into the public realm from time to time.

They have 6 year old kids on up to 99 year old grandmas sing and every imaginable group and organization sing, including other religeous groups.
    It's called respect and tolerance for all walks of life.

What's next, people from SD blogging on a fun Deseret News article?

• bikeboy Boise, ID
    April 20, 2011 10:22 a.m.

Great event, great story!

• Dadof5sons Montesano, WA
    April 20, 2011 10:20 a.m.

It is so funny to see how some people get so up set over something they want no part of. When all they have to do is understand that events like the NBA or any other sporting event does not constitute seperation of chruch and state. this is showing the exersize of the first addmendment. Which lets people do these wondefull things. It is time we the majority stand up and not be ashamed. An when I say us the majority it I speak of all Christan's of all chruchs.

• Jody Genessy
    April 20, 2011 9:55 a.m.

Gentile,

If that bothers you - and I'm not sure why it would - but your blood might really boil when you find out that both Oklahoma City and New Orleans have pregame prayers in the arena prior to the national anthem and tipoff.

What's next in this country, putting a phrase like "In God We Trust" on our money or something!?

P.S. The missionary choir knocked the crowd's socks off. They were good. Really good. And the arena exploded in applause when they finished. It was nice, patriotic moment.

Jody

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    April 20, 2011 9:08 a.m.

gentile, It's funny it bothers you. Makes me laugh.

• Gentile brookings, SD
    April 20, 2011 6:29 a.m.

What's next? Baptist bingo night in Atlanta? No prizes awarded? NBA is playing with fire on this. Playing with fire. People go to ball games for... ball games.

Oh what is next?