Faith

CBS TV movie tells story of Latter-day Saint and educational advocate Stacey Bess

Comments

• Spikey Layton, UT
    April 25, 2011 8:30 a.m.

I really enjoyed this movie. I used to teach English in Korea. Those children were naughty naughty naughty! I wish I had the patience and compassion that Stacey Bess has!

• LAL South Jordan, UT
    April 21, 2011 8:30 a.m.

I interviewed Stacey Bess in 1990 when I was a senior in high school working on a term paper regarding the plight of the homeless. That is one paper in school that I can say has truly impacted me years later. I can also tell you that indeed there was a spirit or feeling in that class room that wasn't tangible but was certainly felt by those in attendance.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    April 20, 2011 6:56 a.m.

I have never heard of the book. Now I have to go and read it.

• Ernesto de Bajo Albuquerque, NM
    April 20, 2011 2:53 a.m.

Wow! It seems the real heroes are simple folks doing great things quietly.

• larri3 Farmington, UT
    April 20, 2011 1:06 a.m.

My school teacher wife had me read this book shortly after it came out. As a writer, I thought it would be a fun project to write a screenplay based on the book but never pursued the idea, thinking it would be extremely difficult to get a movie to the big screen. I'm glad somebody got it on the little screen. I'm looking forward to seeing the TV movie. The book also made me see homeless people much differently, particularly the children. Years ago a foster child in one of my Sunday School classes really touched my heart. He was a cute little boy, and I didn't think much of his foster parents, one of whom has since died. I had wanted somehow to adopt that little boy and give him the attention he deserved. But there was already a family that wanted him permanently, and so I did nothing. So you can imagine my horror when about 15 years later, I learned that he has a permanent address in Bluffdale, one he earned by murdering somebody. Many homeless and foster children suffer because of substance abuse. Too bad people drink and use drugs.

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    April 19, 2011 6:51 p.m.

I have heard of her book. Inspiring story in a world full of negativity and pessimism.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    April 19, 2011 2:12 p.m.

Looking forward to watching this program.

• apack Layton, UT
    April 19, 2011 9:20 a.m.

As we approach Easter it's wonderful to have examples like Stacey Bess who exemplify such Christ like attributes. Thank you for sharing with us her story! What an inspiration!