Sports

Blue roundup: BYU's Jake Heaps looks back, ahead

Comments

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    April 22, 2011 11:42 a.m.

Heaps finished strong last year and I expect he will pick up this year where he left off in the UTEP game. He now has the experience and the ability so I wouldn't be surprised to see a record setting season this year.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, Utah
    April 21, 2011 11:19 p.m.

Sorry Mormon Ute, but what PSUYB says does not conflict with what the DNews reported back in December. It sounds like the first inury was a minor injury, separate from the second injury he sustained in the BYU game (a more severe injury, especially when it was already hurt). Although physicians are not always 100% correct, I trust PSUYB knows what he's talking about in this case. By the way, Heaps cracked a rib in the BYU-Utah game.

I also want to thank you for the classiness you generally display. You represent the Utes well. I wish more Ute fans were like you an less like hedgehog.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 21, 2011 10:20 p.m.

PSUYB,

Nope, just going by what was reported by the Ute coaching staff before the bowl game when they revealed he was injured and would be having surgery. Here's the quote from an article on December 5, 2010 right here in the Dnews, "Utah coach Kyle Whittingham made the announcement after Saturday afternoon's practice at Rice-Eccles Stadium. He noted that Wynn dinged up the shoulder in the Iowa State game on Oct. 9 and that it was sore for a couple of weeks. Wynn hurt it again in the BYU game and that it bothered him enough when bowl practices began to warrant the MRI."

See, when you pay attention to the news, you don't have to see the medical records. It most likely became more serious the more he played without getting it treated and finally went totally bad after the BYU game.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    April 21, 2011 5:12 p.m.

PSUYB

"which was more likely than not rotator cuff ligament tears or dislocation to his throwing shoulder." Have you looked at Wynn's medical records? "More than likely"? Hmmmmmm

"Jake Heaps is 10 times the Qb Wynn is, and will continue to separate himself next season."

You seem pretty cofident. Is your name Dwigth Schrute?

All I know is this.... 2 out of 3 and BLOCKED!!!

• -PSUYB- Scranton, Pennsylvania
    April 21, 2011 3:53 p.m.

Mormon Ute.

Really? Did he tell you that himself? Have you viewed his medical records and are making your unsupportable claims on those grounds?

I am an orthopedic surgeon here in Scranton, and I can confidently say that Wynn could not have thrown the football with the injury he suffered, which was more likely than not rotator cuff ligament tears or dislocation to his throwing shoulder. 6 months rehab is no small injury.

The injury to his throwing arm did not happen until during or after the BYU game. Or what would be the sense in benching him for the Boise State game if he'd already played half the season injured?
    Claiming Wynn was playing injured half the season is completely delusional, and a desperate attempt to explain the horrible offensive performance against TCU, ND, and BYU.
    I know Coach Whitt reported that Wynn received the injury in the Iowa State game, but that is simply not true. With an injury of that magnitude, Wynn could not have been able to throw.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 21, 2011 2:19 p.m.

Duckhunter,

Lack of heart and toughness? I'm surprised you would say that given the fact that he played the last half of the season hurt. He didn't say anything to the coaches and just kept gutting it out.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 21, 2011 12:04 p.m.

@devilishute

Who are you trying to convince? Anyone that has even watched football with any regularity can see Heaps superiority in talent, poise, and heart. The one play that defines wynn more than anything else he has done was when he slid, cowardly, a yard short of a 1st down on 3rd down rather than get one more yard, and the hit that would have gone with it, when his team badly needed it. That was a very obvious lack of heart, toughness, and desire.

Of course all the ute fans on here went balistic about it last season and were calling for his benching, if not execution, funny how that is no longer being brought up. I understand why though. You now realize that you don't have anything else in the way of a qb in your entire program. QB recruits keep rejecting you, embarrassingly so.

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    April 21, 2011 10:20 a.m.

Dear Des News:

Glad you found the link to the interview. You're welcome.

"Softy" has absolutely no love for BYU football. You should have heard his rants after the game when BYU beat his precious Jake Locker in Husky stadium a couple of years ago. And his tongue-in-cheek nickname he gets because he can be so tough on people and teams he doesn't like. That is what makes the interview all that much more remarkable. I tend to rate his opinions more highly than I do a bunch of Y-obsessed nobodies who can't see beyond their own prejudices.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    April 21, 2011 12:18 a.m.

DevilishUte

No need to get all huffy. Heaps is just plain better, much better than Wynn.

By the end of this coming season, that won't even be debatable.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    April 20, 2011 4:28 p.m.

You're right! Give Heaps the Heisman. No need to play any games this season as BYU has already won them all.

Provide provide this analysis, MUSS.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    April 20, 2011 4:24 p.m.

Struck a nerve, did I?

• MUSSing with U Baltimore, MD
    April 20, 2011 4:13 p.m.

QB1 had to deal with a two-headed QB monster and playing in the very first game of the season and against teams like Florida State and Air Force on the road right out of the gate.

QB2 got to stand on the sidelines, absorbing the Utah offense for half a season, before he stepped onto the field against a cupcake.

Compare the final 5 games of both of their Freshman seasons and you'll see a HUGE advantage for Heaps.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    April 20, 2011 2:46 p.m.

QB1 = Heaps
    QB2 - Wynn

Both had freshmen jitters to deal with and had to learn new offenses. Moreover, neither was the named starting QB at the beginning of their freshmen season. I'm not sure if BYU should be pounding their chests just yet.

Heaps looked improved in the second half of the year, but he has A LOT to prove. Declarations of him being one of the best BYU or college QBs ever might be a tad premature.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    April 20, 2011 2:32 p.m.

And the quest for perfection continues...

QB1 - rating 116.20 yards 2,316 TDs 15 INT 9 Comp % 57.2% 10 games started

QB2 - rating 130.75 yards 1,329 TDs 8 INT 4 Comp % 58.1% 5 games started

Granted it is difficult to compare QBs in different systems with different teammates versus different opponents, but these stats look very similar if QB2 stats are projected to maintain similar production for his next 5 games.

Who are QB1 and QB2?

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 20, 2011 1:17 p.m.

One quick correction to an earlier post. I believe I said Wynn was a freshman last season and he was a sophomore. Sorry about that.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 20, 2011 1:15 p.m.

sammyg,

You and whose army labeled it trolling? I don't recall the Desnews putting a disclaimer at the top of each article stating only BYU fans are allowed to comment. If it's published, it's fair game and you and everyone else who has read my posts knows I'm never unreasonable or unfair in what I say. So label someone else a troll if you want, but the comments boards are free to everyone.

I didn't say a lack of success in the pros reflects poorly on the coach. You claimed two players were successful in the NFL who haven't been, yet. They might still be, but it was you who first brought pro success of former players into the discussion as a measure of Doman's success. If you don't like someone using real facts to dispute your claim, do your research first.

As for future success, neither of us know whether Doman or Chow will be more successful, but the fact is Chow has a more proven record. As for Wynn vs Heaps, I like Wynn just fine. He's at least as proven as Heaps and has shown toughness.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 20, 2011 1:06 p.m.

TrueBlue,

I don't know and don't care. Doing well in the NFL has never been the measure of a good college quarterback. A lot of you guys are now taking my comments out of context. I pointed out Chow's success to compare him to Doman, since they are in the same position now. All that does is validate my excitement for the future of the Ute's offense and our quarterbacks. Chow has proven himself, Doman hasn't yet. At least not to the extent Chow has and not at all as an OC. Your 'salient' question wasn't even part of my discussion with sammyg.

Let's see. A quarterback gets one serious injury in his freshman season and you label him fragile and injury prone. You must think the same of Riley Nelson, since he went out with an injury too. I wouldn't be too quick to presume that. When you take into account that the injury occurred October 9th and he led the team to 5 more wins after the injury. That sounds like a pretty tough guy to me.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 20, 2011 12:56 p.m.

BluCoug & Riddles in the Dark,

This wasn't about former Ute quarter backs, was it? Didn't think so. I would like to see Alex get another shot, but I'm as dissapointed about how much he has struggled as you BYU fans must be about John Beck. It's too soon to say much about Max Hall. I'm not talking like the book is closed, just replying to sammyg's claim they are successful. They're not yet. I don't recall getting into it with sammyg about why they might not have been successful in the NFL. All I did is state the facts to dispute his claim.

To quote sammyg he said. "With two successful QB's in the NFL..." That sounds to me like he's saying they've been successful in the NFL. If that's not what he meant, sorry for the misunderstanding.

As far as dogging Doman's resume, no, I'm not. I'm simply pointing out that the Ute's current offensive coordinator has produced more proven players than Doman. You can hope all you want for the future, just don't try to make it sound like history.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 20, 2011 12:33 p.m.

@M Ute

No frustration, you commented directly and I responded but remember, you're a Ute commenting on a BYU article and thats known as trolling. Take your lumps, you're trolling.

I suppose if Jimmer makes it to the NBA and he doesn't do that well shouldn't cross off "Make it to the NBA" on his 'bucket list', right? And this reflects poorly on Coach Rose, right?

Give it up M Ute. Running down Doman's first NFL guys of Beck and Max does not prove a thing, no more than a comment about Alex Smith floundering. Individual talent skill sets vary.

How many QB's did Chow promote and failed in the NFL? I dont know and could care less.
    How many will Chow promote in the future? Not as many as Doman.
    What does Chow have to work with today? Wynn, who is recovering and a weak bench.
    Who does Doman have to work with today? A seasoned sophomore / #1 pick and some very deep talent already on the bench... and futures lining up.

Recruiting QB's is still alive and well at BYU. Jake is going places.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    April 20, 2011 11:59 a.m.

Mormon Ute

Do you really think that Jordan Wynn will even make it into the NFL, let alone be successful, even with Norm Chow coaching him?

That's the salient question. Not how many successful QBs Chow has coached in the past.

Frankly, as fragile and injury-prone as Wynn is, I'll be surprised if he can make it through the season, that is, if he comes back strong enough from his shoulder surgery to play effectively.

• Riddles in the Dark Olympus Cove, Utah
    April 20, 2011 11:44 a.m.

Mormon Ute

"Two successful QB's in the NFL?"

Sorry, the initial post was how many quarterbacks has Doman gotten into the NFL.

The answer two for two. (Three for three if you count Doman himself).

How successful they'll be is still an open book.

#1 draft pick Alex Smith, for example, is a complete bust, but I'll bet you're not ready to close the book on Alex, so why are you acting like the book on John and Max is closed?

Besides, how well QBs do in the NFL depends somewhat on how well they were coached in college, but it depends much more on the team they're on, other QBs on the team, the supporting cast around them, and their NFL coaches.

There have been a lot of Chow-coached QBs who never played in the NFL, and there have also been many who have played in NFL who didn't excel.

If you're going to dog Brandon's limited resume, objectivity requires evaluating all of the Chow-coached QBs who didn't make it big in the NFL. Even Chow can't claim that 100% of his QBs were NFL successes.

• Lowell Chad Tempe, AZ
    April 20, 2011 10:30 a.m.

And the QB factory continues....only this time it will yield its best model yet! Heaps will go down as one of the best ever (in college football). I don't think it's unrealistic to project a handful of awards for Monsieur Heaps, including at least one Heisman, maybe two.

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    April 20, 2011 10:16 a.m.

How is Alex Smith doing in the NFL?

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 20, 2011 9:54 a.m.

sammyg continued,

Now about Brandon Doman. Two successful QB's in the NFL? Are you referring to Max Hall and John Beck? First, let's look at Max. He played in 3 games for Arizona and lost all three. He has thrown 1 touchdown pass. He has been out ever since then with a concussion. Let's withhold judgement on his career success until he has had a chance to play a little more. Second, John Beck. John is currently with his 3rd NFL team in 4 seasons and hasn't really played since his 1st season with Miami. In Miami he played in 5 games and started 4. Miami lost all 5 of those games. Since then he hasn't seen much action. So I don't see a lot of success there for John either. Yes, both of those guys were great quarterbacks at BYU, but to call them successful in the NFL is really reaching.

Norm Chow has put at least 6 QB's into the NFL who have had some real success. 3 of them won the Heisman Trophy. Yeah, I'm excited about Norm Chow working at Utah.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 20, 2011 9:39 a.m.

sammyg,

I find it interesting that you have chosen me to take out your frustration with those you call Ute trolls. I don't believe anything I have said in any comments would qualify as trolling. I think my comments about bothe Jake Heaps and Jimmer have been reasoned, well thought out and well researched. So while I am excited for the season to come in football, I am also realistic in my expectations and am relying heavily on those with far more experience than I to fuel my expectations.

I am not jealous in the least regarding BYU's QB recruiting. Norm Chow has only been with our program a few months. He hasn't had time to really impact the recruiting process. The kids that are landing at BYU right now have been in the pipeline for months if not years. As far as spring camp is concerned, all I've heard reported about BYU's spring camp is a bunch of intangibles. Energy, excitement, positive attitude, etc. Not much of substance. So before you slam the Utes for some struggles, take a look at your own guys.

continued...

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 20, 2011 8:23 a.m.

@ Mormon Ute cont'd

It's so interesting that many of U are so enamored with Norm. I'm ecstatic that you're so excited.

Brandon Doman is well on his way to becoming a legendary coach. With two successful QB's in the NFL in such a short time, his own personal accomplishments, and what he's done so far with Jake and company I have just as much confidence, if not more, in these young coaches as you do in your 'old' predictable ones!

So before you go trolling and saying how great Norm is and using it as a whip on our story just know that Bronco and Doman Inc. are out there successfully drawing in more talent for QBU, the 'original' QB factory.

Does an opening line for Ute QB recruiting go like "Hey QB, come to the Univ. of Utah. I'll coach you like I did at BYU years ago?"

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 20, 2011 8:00 a.m.

Keep wishing Mormon Ute. I've never said Norm doesn't have talent but he does have a predictable modus operandi and things have changed since Norm's heydays of yester year.

Recognizing talent is one thing, having it to work with is another.

For several months Cougar Nation has been the whipping post of several since the announcement of the Utes going to the PAC-10.1.1 beta. It's an old story. BYU conntinues to recruit great talent in spite of it's poor program and irrelevance in 'future' independence as Ute trolls would describe it.

For the past 3 weeks we've seen three stories about BYU QB recruiting and it's obvious that there's a great measure of Ute insecurity being exhibited on the comment boards because of it. Or is it just a backlash of Jimmermania?

In a addition to this we've seen a few stories coming out of Spring camp that have revealed very little to cling to for the Utes. Wynn is recovering, wow. Shreve and what's his name did little to garner any positive comments from either Coach Whit or Chow.

Yes, Ute, it's panic time.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 19, 2011 10:15 p.m.

sammyg et al,

Who was the OC responsible for most of those great QBs? And a couple more since he left? That's right, Norm Chow. Where is he working now? That's right, the U. I'm pretty confident he knows how to judge QB talent better than any of you and he has said Jordan Wynn has what it takes. I'll take his word for it.

• BluCoug Provo, UT
    April 19, 2011 10:07 p.m.

@ plyxply

Where did Chow get his football passing and OC knowledge? Oh that's right BYU.

What QB has Chow put in the NFL as of late?

How many ute QB has ever won a super bowl?

Sorry time has passed Chow by, so enjoy your PAC 12 fantasy, the closet the utes might get to a PAC 12 championship is through NCAA Football 2012, 2013, and so on... Get your controllers ready ute fans!

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    April 19, 2011 8:59 p.m.

Heaps did pretty well for himself in his freshman year, He set a number of freshman records and finished strong to end the season in the bowl game. Not too bad for a QB that according to ute trolls supposably had a deer in headlights look. Hopefully Heaps will continue to build on the success he had a year ago and carry the confidence he gained into this season.

• -PSUYB- Scranton, Pennsylvania
    April 19, 2011 5:53 p.m.

bigutefan, Hedgehog

"Has Jake Heaps beat a team with a winning record? :)"

Yes actually, San Diego St. and Washington both had winning seasons as well as bowl wins. Jake played in both and started in one of those. He gave the mighty Utes quite a run for their money as well, out performing their veteran offense and QB's, and leading a late 4th quarter drive down to the Utes 25yd line only to sit on the ball. A true-freshman Qb, a true freshman team really, took your mighty #5 ranked utes down to the wire. Jake Heaps showed flashes of greatness.

plyxply,

In 2010, Jake Heaps beat multiple freshman records, including TD's. Guess who's record he beat? Ty Detmer. Not saying that Jake will be an All-American, Heisman winner, or National Champion, but nobody is to say he will not be any of those things. 19 returners on offense will be a huge advantage. Especially with the tall, fast, athletic receivers who are being trained by a legend.

Jake cannot be blamed for the 2010 trainwreck in Provo.
    Lets just wait what and see what he does in 2011, that will dictate what comes.

• The Disillusionist Alexandria, VA
    April 19, 2011 5:53 p.m.

Re: bigutefan: "Has Jake Heaps beat a team with a winning record? :)"
    Re: hedgehog: "Please don't point out the 2 ton pink elephant in the room."

Or the two two-ton pink elephants in the room. (Try SDSU.)

• Alex 1 Tucson, AZ
    April 19, 2011 5:31 p.m.

I think we are right to have a certain amount of confidence in the Cougar football team this year. However, when we prognosticate, I would hope we would be modest in our projections. I am not saying that we should ever put them down. No, we should be just a bit more conservative in our outlook. Our tongues should not write checks that our Cougars cannot cash.

Having said that, MAN it is going to be fun this upcoming year! Being a teetotaler myself, BYU Football is the ultimate intoxicant.

• Independent Henderson, NV
    April 19, 2011 5:09 p.m.

"Also, Jake put a really big target on his and BYU's backs when he told Gordon Monson that since they don't have a conference championship to play for, their goal is the National Championship."

Isn't that every college football team's goal? If it's not, what's the point? I appreciate Heaps' confidence and positive outlook. I'm sure it will take him far.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    April 19, 2011 5:06 p.m.

"Has Jake Heaps beat a team with a winning record? :)"

bigutefan,

Please don't point out the 2 ton pink elephant in the room.

• bigutefan Las Vegas, NV
    April 19, 2011 4:02 p.m.

Has Jake Heaps beat a team with a winning record? :)

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 19, 2011 2:40 p.m.

Had to listen to this another time. Give this kid another year or two to mature and his interview skills will be polished. His growth is already evident and it's very obvious that the confidence to lead is there.

Can you imagine having the resources of Detmer, Young, McMahon and Doman available almost at will to support you, to answer your questions day in and day out? What was interesting was Jake's confidence and work ethic coming throught the interview. No doubt that this guy is putting in the hours to prepare mentally and we've seen his physicality.

Come September the Cougars are going to turn heads. Other people are saying he's Heisman material. It's going to be a fun run.

You Ute trolls might just want to study how BYU does things as the Cougars have a long storied program for great QBs. I simply offer that as a kind suggestion since the headlines of the Cougars continue to mention some pretty great QB talent and Ute articles are just lacking any QB inspiration lately.

Go Jake and Go Cougars!

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 19, 2011 2:00 p.m.

If you go back and read the comments of the few obsessed Yners on this article one after another it becomes obvious that this drivel reaches beyond jealous obsession. It has gotten to the level of sad and disturbing. I can feel nothing but pity for these people. I will be happy when some of them are silenced this September.
    BYU is poised for a really good season. All their weaknesses from the first 6 games of last year were either greatly improved last year or have been addressed in the off season. Couple that with more experience in the skill positions and they will be very good.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    April 19, 2011 1:45 p.m.

No matter what else you say about Heaps... the kid has a rocket launcher for an arm! It puts a nice sting on you when you catch it.

• WHAT NOW? Saint George, UT
    April 19, 2011 1:04 p.m.

Heaps has built a good foundation for his sophomore year.

In the spirit of playing the prognosticating game going forward...

At Ole Miss and Texas could be confidence builders or confidence wreckers.

The rivalry game with Utah, at BYU, looks like a winnable game, at this point.

UCF, Utah State, and San Jose St., at BYU, are gimmies.

At Oregon St. will be a test.

Idaho St. at BYU is a gimmie.

(At) TCU will be a test.

At Louisianna Tech, Idaho and New Mexico St. at BYU are gimmies.

At Hawaii will be a test.

7 easily winnable, confidence building, stat padding games.

1 rivalry game at home.

5 games on the road against what looks like quality competition.

If Heaps can stay injury free, a 7 win season is guaranteed.

The other 6 games will separate Heaps from merely being good to being something special.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 19, 2011 12:34 p.m.

@plyxply

"Being a qb coach and being an oc are entirely different animals."

You're right they are. The qb coach is the one most directly responsible for devloping the qb and helping him become good enough to, you know, be in the NFL.

Of course Doman has been the qb coach for exactly 2 qb's at BYU and guess what? Both are now in the NFL. The 3rd qb he was responsible for, himself, also played in the NFL.

Funny how once you were presented with those facts you tried to deflect and take a different line. And there is no chance you spent anytime at all at any of BYU's spring practices.

• scenic view Baltimore, MD
    April 19, 2011 12:27 p.m.

plyxply

"being a qb coach and being an oc are entirely different animals"

True, but Doman has a mentor in Lance Reynolds who knows every bit as much about offense as Norm Chow.

"I don't think either Heaps or Wynn are in the class of the guys they replaced... I could be wrong..."

You are.

Heaps is poised for a breakout year. If you'd paid any attention at all to Jake's mechanics, footwork, arm strength, accuracy, and poise, you would have seen that Heaps is already head-and-shoulders better than Wynn in those categories. The only things he needed to refine heading into his first full season as a starter were his reads and timing with his receivers. By September, Heaps and his receivers will be a well-oiled offensive machine.

Chow on the other hand, is working with two backup QBs, who obviously don't have the skills to run his offense, and an injured starter whose mechanics, footwork, arm strength, accuracy, and poise pale in comparison to Heaps. Wynn will be adequate, if he's healthy, but he and his receivers will never get the reads and timing down before the season starts.

• Just the FAX Olympus Cove, Utah
    April 19, 2011 12:03 p.m.

plyxply

"at least take into consideration that Wynn has an oc that understands getting qb's into the NFL"

Reality check: Doman is two for two getting starting QB's into the NFL. (Three for three if you count Brandon himself.)

A little over a year ago, many of the same fans who are saying that Heaps and Wynn are about the same, were saying the same thing about Jimmer and Henderson.

Utah fans who view the world through their crimson-colored glasses are going to be shocked at just how much better Heaps is this coming season.

Crank up the "weaker competition" spin machine now, because that's the only rebuttal you'll have left by November.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    April 19, 2011 11:59 a.m.

being a qb coach and being an oc are entirely different animals, and based on what I saw at spring camp they aren't looking as good as they did last year at the same time on offense.

In fact if BYU and Utah played right now it could easily be a 3-0 game in good weather.

I like Doman, I think he's going to be a very good oc, but he is not in Chow's league and Heaps isn't going to be as good as everyone thinks...in my opinion. I could be wrong, it's happened before but I don't think either Heaps or Wynn are in the class of the guys they replaced.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    April 19, 2011 11:49 a.m.

I love how Ute trolls can predict which coach, player, team or person will succeed and who will not.

You know when you always say that someone will fail, you are probably going to get one right every once in a while.

But... the real question is why bother?

I am completely apathetic about U of Utah sports. I couldn't care less. I have never read an article or commented on their boards.

The Utah trolls have an obsession with BYU. It's like their are a nine year old who can't understand why he is infatuated with the girl in front of him, doesn't understand the rumbling in his chest, or the pangs of his gut. He can;t leave her alone so he pulls her hair and sticks his tongue out at her. Because he actually has feelings for her.

Just admit it, and become a fan. If you really didn't care, you wouldn't read the articles or post on the boards.

I guess when you grow up... you'll understand those feelings you are having better.

• Truth Machine Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2011 11:49 a.m.

plyxply

Ben Olsen had potential, but injuries derailed his career.

Jake Heaps, barring injury, will be right up there with the likes of Jim McMahon, Steve Young, and Ty Detmer by the time he finishes his BYU career.

Jordan Wynn may be a decent quarterback this year, if he fully recovers from his shoulder injury, but he'll never be a star.

• SeattleUhasabballteam? Seattle, Wa
    April 19, 2011 11:43 a.m.

@ Howard S:

Speaking of articulate:

"I can't wait to get out here wit these Boise State or should I say Girlse State they bunch of cheerleaders...lol."

• TrollPolice Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2011 11:38 a.m.

plyxply

"Doman has such a track record of getting qb's to the nfl...."

You mean like John Beck and Max Hall and himself?

BYU career: Unanimous All-Mountain West Conference selection and Heisman Trophy candidate in 2001, led the Cougars to a 12-2 season as a senior with 3,542 yards passing, 261-of-408 with 33 touchdown passes and rushed for 503 yards and eight touchdowns; 14-2 as a BYU starter.

NFL career: Played three seasons as a quarterback in the NFL; selected by the San Francisco 49ers in the fifth round of the 2002 NFL Draft, where he spent the majority of his three NFL seasons.

Coach: Guided two of the most prolific passers in BYU history: John Beck, a 2007 second round draft pick currently with Washington Redskins, and Max Hall, currently with the Arizona Cardinals; Hall and Beck are second and third, respectively, in BYU history in pass completions, passing yards, and total offense, while Hall became the winningest quarterback in school history.

Doman is just getting started.

Doman + Heaps > Chow + Wynn

• plyxply SLC, UT
    April 19, 2011 10:49 a.m.

Doman has such a track record of getting qb's to the nfl....er, wait a minute, I was thinking of Norm Chow.
    Heaps = Ben Olsen

Not that I'm saying Jordan Wynn is any better, but at least take into consideration that Wynn has an oc that understands getting qb's into the NFL whereas Heaps has a green oc and has plenty of growing pains to even become the best qb on his own team.

• The Disillusionist Alexandria, VA
    April 19, 2011 10:42 a.m.

Jake Heaps: A better quarterback than Jordan Wynn ... by far. The former will play in the NFL someday, while the latter has a chance of playing arena football for a couple of summers before settling into a middle management position somewhere in the innards of the U of U athletic department.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    April 19, 2011 10:36 a.m.

Jake is the man, but Riley Nelson could still be a very valuable player for BYU.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some situation specific plays designed for Riley - a 3rd and short run/pass option, for example. Riley would also be great as a holder on extra point and FG tries because he would keep opposing defenses guessing on fake FG attempts, and he'd give BYU viable options for scoring or picking up a first down on bad snaps.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    April 19, 2011 9:58 a.m.

What makes Heaps better than Nelson is the ability to stretch the field. That is dependent on the WRs and to some extent the TEs actually catching the ball. If the opposition D can play man to man BYU's offense tends to bog down. It has more to do with the receivers than the QBs.

Nelson has more experience leading a team. He tends to run, last year partly because he had to. His running does not utilize the whole team very effectively. It also puts the line in a bad position. The new offense is designed for Heaps to stay in the pocket and throw. The shotgun made it easier for Nelson to run. It also made the offense predictable. The new offense is less predictable and harder for the QB to run out of.

Nelson is a competitor. He is an under rated athlete and QB. However, his style just does not fit the majority of the other BYU players nor the new offense. He can run the team. He will adapt and play very well at times.

The new offense is designed for Heaps not Nelson. BYU is developing Heaps for 3 years.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 19, 2011 9:54 a.m.

I agree Jake Heaps has the makings of a great quarter back and should have a better year being already named the starter and having Doman as the offensive coorinator. Still, the offense is working on a new scheme with almost an entirely new coaching staff. There will definitely be some growing pains to go with that. Also, Jake put a really big target on his and BYU's backs when he told Gordon Monson that since they don't have a conference championship to play for, their goal is the National Championship. Nothing like giving your opponents some motivation.

The article about Jimmer voiced some of the same concerns I have had about Jimmer. He's got some work ahead of himself to stick in the NBA. He'll get drafted, but it will be up to him to make the improvements he needs to make it a career.

• afro14 Sandy, UT
    April 19, 2011 9:43 a.m.

If there's one thing I can count on to make me laugh in the morning, it's the comment battles on any Utah or BYU story from the Deseret News. Thanks for brightening my morning boys!

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    April 19, 2011 9:34 a.m.

Honor Code

Your jealous rants are getting really stale. Can't you come up with something more creative?

Every BYU-obsessed fan knows that BYU only had a few weeks to fill in their 2011 schedule so they had to go with teams that were available. Those same fan also know that BYU already has future home games scheduled with Texas, Notre Dame, Boise State, and Georgia Tech.

Heaps and BYU will be challenged by Texas, Ole' Miss, TCU, Utah, and Oregon State, but BYU fans are looking forward to the challenge.

btw, how many of those "high school" football teams are on your team's schedule?

• CordonBleu Park City, UT
    April 19, 2011 9:13 a.m.

MiP

The four-man QB race is at BYU's season-opening opponent, Ole Miss.

This IS Jake's team, as noted by ESPN:

3 reasons BYU's offense will be better

1. Jake Heaps is the starter. No question waffling between Heaps and Riley Nelson severely hampered the way BYU played. The Cougars started 1-4 for the first time since 1973 and ranked No. 96 in the nation in total offense. They turned it around in the second half of the season and ended on a tear. Now, Heaps is firmly entrenched as the starter and has one year under his belt. He will be more comfortable in the offense, and BYU will have one true leader.

"The volume he received in spring ball was helpful for him with his reads," new BYU offensive coordinator Brandon Doman said. "Quarterbacks are the last line of defense, and we gave him the ability to audible and change plays. By the time we're done with 29 practices in fall camp, he will be a wise and veteran guy."

• IDC Boise, ID
    April 19, 2011 9:00 a.m.

The entire football team underperformed last year - that is the bad news. Good news is that they looked better as the season progressed and they are very young.

Heaps as a freshman had anything but deer in the headlight appearance. He was very composed in the pocket. I can't wait to see him develop. The receivers started catching balls at the end of the year. If the tight ends can get involved, the offense will do just fine.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    April 19, 2011 8:57 a.m.

4-man race for QB, DN. Come on. This is Jake's team.

sammyg, you should know from past posts that Honor Code is not a Ute fan or a BYU fan. Perhaps "you guys" is not a correct response here.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    April 19, 2011 8:25 a.m.

Wow you folks really do live in a bubble where rose colored glasses are handed out daily.
    To put Jake Heaps in the same conversation as Jimmer is ridiculous, he hasn't proven a thing except that he's over-rated and has the most obnoxious ego of any non-proven athlete I've ever seen.
    After spending two days at practice, plus on the sideline at the spring game, it's obvious that all is not well in cougartown. There were several players who noted the difference in how well the team runs with Riley at qb vs Jake.
    I for one don't like to watch Riley's throwning motion, but if there are players who said it out loud, I can only imagine there are others who feel the same but don't say anything.
    I like Bronco well enough and most of the team, but reality will provide people with a rude awakening when they realize Jake will not prove to be the qb everyone thought he would be. Can you say, Ben Olsen?

• sports-junkie West Jordan, UT
    April 19, 2011 8:21 a.m.

I'm glad Jake is on our side.

Some say talk is cheap and I agree. But we have already seen what Jake can do. Bad teams dont blow out other bad teams 4 out the last 5 games. I would argue that Jake was also pretty darn good in the Utah game. BYU was a pretty good team the final 6 games and the New Mexico Bowl was the icing on the cake. Were they great? No. But they were getting very good.

Jake's confidence is sky high right now, as it should be. He knows what he can do and he knows what his receivers can do. He has experienced backs and he knows his O line is one of the best in the country. Not to mention the defense being very very good the second half of last season. The defense will finish the 2011 season ranked in the top 10.

Its a fun time for Cougar fans. Too bad its not even May. Go Cougs!!!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 19, 2011 8:16 a.m.

Honor Code, your description sounds so distantly familiar to... maybe like last year's Ute schedule in the MWC?

You guys are so trembling in your shorts because you only wish you had a QB of any sorts. If anyone has that "deer in the spotlight" look it will be Wynn this fall. Putting up huge numbers where I can count on my fingers the total offense against TCU and ND, yeah, you guys have certainly much to talk about and fear this fall in your weekly beatdown in the PAC-10.2. If the MWC had such a 'cupcake' schedule last fall what do you think the PAC boys are going to do to you on a weekly basis?

Here's a thought for you. What if Wynn gets injured, a very likely scenario in light of your offensive line, then what? Shreve? Yeah, baby, you've got some depth on the bench.

You guys only wish you had a quality #1 QB recruit like Jake. A lot of little boys dream of growing up and being a BYU QB. Not U.

• Starfarer Mesa, AZ
    April 19, 2011 7:26 a.m.

Otis Spurlock | 10:41 p.m. April 18, 2011

What?

Once again, no one has a clue what you are talking about.

By the end of the season, there was no "deer in the headlights." Your trolishness is showing.

Howard S: and if the Utes hadn't played so poorly, against a team that you obviously feel was so far beneath you, they wouldn't have needed a blocked to preserve their win. For a team that was so highly ranked, there was absolutely no domination.

Honestly Ute trolls, do you want to revisit the last five games of last season and compare who was going where?

• Honor Code Denver, Colorado
    April 19, 2011 5:47 a.m.

Jake Heaps will have his hands full until he gets thru the season playing the big boys. With the WAC teams on schedule he'll have a winning record playing High School football teams and enjoying the BYU crowd with sugar coated almonds and seven-up!!! Should be a fun season if you're a season ticket holder!!

• RaininTime Orem, UT
    April 19, 2011 12:20 a.m.

Jake Heaps and Jimmer Fredette, two very impressive young men.

Otis S. and Howard S., not exactly the 'Creme-de-la-'Creme of society (crème de la crème (krm d lä krm)
    n.
    1. Something superlative.
    2. People of the highest social level.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    April 18, 2011 10:50 p.m.

Oh, and another thing Jake...

If you had really dominated Utah the entire game you wouldn't have been in a position to get beat at the end.

• Otis Spurlock Ogden, UT
    April 18, 2011 10:41 p.m.

Watching Jake Heaps play reminds me of a deer looking at the headlights. Quest for perfection baby!

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    April 18, 2011 9:47 p.m.

Did he really say "spread your legs a little bit"?

The kid is not nearly as articulate as he thinks he is.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    April 18, 2011 9:16 p.m.

I'm not sure if Jake will reach Jimmer status, but I have no doubt that he'll create a legacy and be remembered as one of the BYU greats by the time he's finished at BYU.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    April 18, 2011 7:56 p.m.

It is time to show what you got Jake. The reins have been handed over to you, now lets put up some numbers against some good programs. Jake if you can pull off convincing wins, wins that you were recruited to provide for the BYU program, then you will be on your way to BYU QB stardom. Talk is cheap, so go out there this fall and beat Ole Miss, Texas & Utah right out of the gate in 2011 then I will believe. Nothing to impressive yet, remember the UW game Riley won that one, you did not find the endzone.

Find it in 2011

• MichiganCoog Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 18, 2011 6:36 p.m.

Let Jake-mania begin...more fun is ahead BYU fans...Great interview Jake, showing us sneak-peak into the season ahead! GO COUGARS!!!!

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    April 18, 2011 6:04 p.m.

Poor pity the team that passes up on Jimmer, unless they already have a superstar-caliber PG. He'll be a superstar on any team that drafts him and gives him half a chance.

Jimmer has proven all his life that the naysayers don't know what they're talking about. He'll have no problem at PG in the NBA. Certainly not immediately--that'd be foolish wishing. Even Stockton took a year to get the starting nod.

If Heaps stays healthy and doesn't trip over the honor code, he'll be for BYU's football what Jimmer was for basketball.

The fun for BYU fans should continue!

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 18, 2011 6:01 p.m.

Let's see how Jake does.

If he continues like he finished...

It could be fun to watch.